Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Report it to the police and insurance, and get a copy of the reports, just to be safe. They won't turn you down, but it shows you probably didn't do it out of spite.

Oh yeah, that's already done. I found out because the police knocked on my door at 8am this morning. Someone broke into 4 cars in a row around the corner from my house. They caught the guy already so I didn't need to file anything and they already had the incident report written up. I just wanted to make sure it's not going to be a thing when I show up to turn my car in with a smashed out back window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Just tape a garbage bag over it and chalk it up to bad timing (or good timing, depending on how you look at it.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I finally got around to submitting my paperwork.

I've been dragging my feet because I really don't want to buy a new loving car already but it is what it is. At least I'll be getting $8k cash out of this mess so its not a total loss.

They accepted my paperwork yesterday so now we just wait and see how long everything else takes.

Thoughts on a Mazda 6 vs Honda Accord? Honestly I want to get something as close to the Passat SEL that I have now and those seem like the best two options.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

They accepted my paperwork yesterday so now we just wait and see how long everything else takes.

I'm over a month now with no word. It has worked for me though since my GTI is still in Colorado after getting wrecked out there. Good case for me having 3 cars...

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Just turned mine in yesterday, appointment took under 30 minutes and probably closer to 15 including the time we spent bullshiting with the guy doing them. Still no email from Chase, so hopefully that shows up soon. I had a car lined up to buy, but the dealer was loving me around, so my wife has to deal with running errands in my miata for a little while.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

slurry_curry posted:

Just turned mine in yesterday, appointment took under 30 minutes and probably closer to 15 including the time we spent bullshiting with the guy doing them. Still no email from Chase, so hopefully that shows up soon. I had a car lined up to buy, but the dealer was loving me around, so my wife has to deal with running errands in my miata for a little while.

The email takes a couple of days, then a couple of more days to deposit once you confirm.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
My email from Chase came almost exactly 24 hours after my appointment, and my money was in my account 24 hours after that.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Looks like Fiat Chrysler is about to have its own party:

quote:

The Environmental Protection Agency accused Fiat Chrysler Thursday of using software that enabled some of its diesel trucks to cheat on emissions tests.

The news caused Fiat Chrysler’s stock price to drop more than 13 percent in trading Thursday morning. Fiat Chrysler did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The vehicles involved were the 2014 to 2016 model year Dodge Ram 1500 pickup trucks and Jeep Grand Cherokees with 3.0-liter diesel engines. The allegations affect roughly 104,000 vehicles, EPA officials said.

Pretty sure diesel is hosed forever

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Pretty much...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

Unless you drive a bus, a dump truck, or 18 wheeler. I see the clouds of black exhaust they produce every day on the highway, and shake my head (as I try to pass them, and get out of the miasma of choking fumes.)

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pryor on Fire posted:

Looks like Fiat Chrysler is about to have its own party:

Pretty sure if we dig deep enough we will learn that ever auto manufacturer has been cheating everywhere.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Related. I love the rag on HD in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ70ngH0GKQ

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fknlo posted:

I'm over a month now with no word. It has worked for me though since my GTI is still in Colorado after getting wrecked out there. Good case for me having 3 cars...

I'm not sure why it would be taking yours so long.

I submitted all my paperwork on Tuesday and got my final offer letter today (Saturday). I got it notarized and now I'm just waiting for my appointment.

It went really fast for my vehicle.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I'm not sure why it would be taking yours so long.

I submitted all my paperwork on Tuesday and got my final offer letter today (Saturday). I got it notarized and now I'm just waiting for my appointment.

It went really fast for my vehicle.

Does the offer letter come in the snail mail or will they email it? May have to go through some old mail if the former.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Email

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fknlo posted:

Does the offer letter come in the snail mail or will they email it? May have to go through some old mail if the former.

Came in through email via their portal. Maybe check the site and see if something is hanging yours up?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Was there yesterday or the day before. Still on 15 with green check marks next to everything. Guess I'll dick with customer support this week. Really in no rush until I get my other car back or can score a rental.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I got an approval probably 30 minutes after my documents were notarized and uploaded. Scheduled my appointment for March 1, which was the closest date.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Pfft. It's 2017 and I'm still waiting on the award letter. Docs submitted in October.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kramdar posted:

Pfft. It's 2017 and I'm still waiting on the award letter. Docs submitted in October.

Maybe you should call and see whats going on with yours.

I just finished everything and the soonest return date I could get was March 8th. So it took about 7 days from submitting the docs to finishing it up.

Now I just wait and decide what to get next.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe you should call and see whats going on with yours.

I just finished everything and the soonest return date I could get was March 8th. So it took about 7 days from submitting the docs to finishing it up.

That won't help, they will refuse to give any time frames now. I've called and tried to ask twice. Mine is even a fifteen which I thought they would want to buy fast and turn around with the fix.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MarcusSA posted:

My wife and I had enough cash on hand to pay off the TDI loan so we decided to do that, park it in the driveway, and get a new car.

Ended up with a Prius. We just got way, way too used to good mileage. We ended up with basically the same monthly payment as the TDI.

We also test drove a Prius C. Holy hell what a garbage car.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I have a '08 Yaris. I figured the Prius C was just a Yaris with a hybrid inside. Is it garbage because of the road noise and the clunky doors? My wife hates my car to no end, despite being the TDI purchaser.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

My wife and I had enough cash on hand to pay off the TDI loan so we decided to do that, park it in the driveway, and get a new car.

Ended up with a Prius. We just got way, way too used to good mileage. We ended up with basically the same monthly payment as the TDI.

Yeah I jokingly said Prius to my wife and she said hell no. I mean I love the mileage I get I just don't think I can bring myself to get one.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

That won't help, they will refuse to give any time frames now. I've called and tried to ask twice. Mine is even a fifteen which I thought they would want to buy fast and turn around with the fix.

Mine was also a 15 so I'm not sure why yours would be taking so long.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kramdar posted:

I have a '08 Yaris. I figured the Prius C was just a Yaris with a hybrid inside. Is it garbage because of the road noise and the clunky doors? My wife hates my car to no end, despite being the TDI purchaser.

Road noise was awful. It also had all the acceleration of a Vespa towing a trailer. The regular Prius is a loving drag racer in comparison.

Sitting in the back seat while my wife drove it there was an incessant rattle and whine that really didn't sound normal. Maybe it was but if so another "lol what sound insulation".

Oh and a rear window that gave about zero visibility. It might as well have been a port hole.

That's in addition to the interior generally feeling cheap. Not $20k econobox cheap, $16k fleet vehicle cheep.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Prius C is indented to be a short commute city car (the "C.") If you do anything over a few miles or go on the highway at all, you do not want a Prius C.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I jokingly said Prius to my wife and she said hell no. I mean I love the mileage I get I just don't think I can bring myself to get one.
The actual Prius has gotten a lot better over the years. The interior still looks weird, but it is a surprisingly peppy ride and has plenty of pickup to merge into traffic.

I almost got one, but I did the math, and the premium price only made sense if I was able to drive the car for 10 years or more. The Civic Hatch made more economic sense, though I hate the tiny gas tank - I'm filling up every two days.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 17, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah I have no gripes about the handling of the Prius. It has three driving modes: eco, normal, and power. The latter handles basically like a run of the mill car as far as merging etc.

We've only had it a while but we're liking it so far.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cyrano4747 posted:

Road noise was awful. It also had all the acceleration of a Vespa towing a trailer. The regular Prius is a loving drag racer in comparison.

Sitting in the back seat while my wife drove it there was an incessant rattle and whine that really didn't sound normal. Maybe it was but if so another "lol what sound insulation".

Oh and a rear window that gave about zero visibility. It might as well have been a port hole.

That's in addition to the interior generally feeling cheap. Not $20k econobox cheap, $16k fleet vehicle cheep.

You are so right. We have a single car for our family with our Golf Wagon, and sometimes I use a local car share service that has entirely Prius C's in its fleet. Not enough bad things can be written about the Prius C. It's terrible to drive, no where near as much fun as my old Yaris was, doesn't have the same strength in the electric drive train as the regular Prius, and feels as cheap as you say. Floor the gas and the engine revs and then... almost nothing happens to get you moving, you slowly accellerate. It's the exact opposite result of flooring a DSG Golf.

The one positive I'll give it was its crappy handling and poor acceleration seemed unfazed by the sudden winter conditions we had here for the last month.

It will probably last a long time since it's a Toyota hybrid, but considering what it is I don't consider that a plus in any way.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I'm parking my Golf for the next 6 weeks until my trade in date and buying a Honda HRV to take its place.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'm parking my Golf for the next 6 weeks until my trade in date and buying a Honda HRV to take its place.

Drive it around once a week or so. Otherwise, the car will give you a hell of a time driving it to the dealer.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

Drive it around once a week or so. Otherwise, the car will give you a hell of a time driving it to the dealer.

For real. Mine sat for a total of 2 weeks at one point and it would barely run.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Seconding the 'need to drive it' echoes. My TDI wouldn't start the day before the buyback. I ended up having to trickle charge it and then just drive it around town to get it to start reliably.

Diesels love to eat their batteries.

Also, we looked at a Prius C and it's impossible to say enough bad things about it. Absolute trash. The regular prius is my wife's commuting car, and it's just dandy. Not the most peppy thing, but it gets the job done reliably.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Is anyone else leasing a recalled TDI? Did you opt to void your lease and take a bulk settlement or go with a repair and payments? I have a 2015 Audi A3 TDI with 21-months left and I am leaning slightly towards doing the repairs and putting the money in savings, but I am curious what people in a similar situation are doing?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally got ahold of a chat person on the claims portal and asked about my claim since my stuff was all approved on 12/8.

quote:

Thank you for verifying your information, Your documentation has been accepted. You are now awaiting your offer letter to be generated. Unfortunately at this time we do not have an ETA for when you will receive your final offer due to extreme high volume of requests, some claims have gone beyond the original expected timeframe. We are making every effort to address the claims as quickly as possible and adding considerable staff to support. You will be notified via email once your offer letter is available to you.

Wonder how long this will take?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That's weird since mine took like 6 days start to finish.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

That's really crazy. I filed my notarized paperwork 2 weeks ago. I had an approval and a scheduled drop off date 30 minutes after submission.

Maybe your stuff just got lost somewhere. I can't imagine a scenario where people who filed early on are still left waiting while new paperwork is being handled on the same day they received it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HatfulOfHollow posted:

That's really crazy. I filed my notarized paperwork 2 weeks ago. I had an approval and a scheduled drop off date 30 minutes after submission.

Maybe your stuff just got lost somewhere. I can't imagine a scenario where people who filed early on are still left waiting while new paperwork is being handled on the same day they received it.

Is your car paid off?

My wife read something online (don't know where - sorry) that said people with owned titles were getting processed a lot quicker than people who had a loan out, beyond the expected delays for getting the payment organized etc.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah I don't think that is the case. Our car has been paid off for well over a year now. The wonderful guy that I got to speak with on the phone two days ago made it sound like there was multiple adjusters working on buybacks. So maybe just some adjusters are slower than others, or some people get the brunt of the work while others get a few measly stacks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is your car paid off?

My wife read something online (don't know where - sorry) that said people with owned titles were getting processed a lot quicker than people who had a loan out, beyond the expected delays for getting the payment organized etc.

Mine is not paid off and the loan is through a small federal credit union. That may be causing the delay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is your car paid off?

It's not paid off. I still owe about $5k on the loan.

• Locked thread