Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lobster God posted:

Boom Boom Boom
Boom Boom Boom
Boom Boom Boom
Boom Boom Boom
Boom Boom Boom
Boom Boom

No. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Bawitdaba da
bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said
up jump the boogy

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Bawitdaba da
bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said
up jump the boogy

Mods please ban

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

RIIIIVVVEEETTTTSSSS!!! :argh:

Kingcobra
Mar 15, 2007

Ignore me, I'm just looking around.
Just finished up this Dynat, he is only 14th model painted in the last two decades so I am pretty pleased with how he has turned out, please excuse the mediocre image quality.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
That looks great!

I've finished my mini sabbatical after beasting that Bloodthirster. Tomorrow I work on my Raven Guard Contemptor, Word Bearers Chaplain, and a couple of randos.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The rumors I posted here originally are complete bullshit. Turns out Mango Polo was running an experiment, the conniving bastard.

Instead, I'm going to compliment this:

Kingcobra posted:

Just finished up this Dynat, he is only 14th model painted in the last two decades so I am pretty pleased with how he has turned out, please excuse the mediocre image quality.

This turned out great. It may be your 14th model, but it's a nice piece of work. Dynat's just an awesome model too.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 14, 2017

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

The rumors I posted here originally are complete bullshit. Turns out Mango Polo was running an experiment, the conniving bastard.

I'm sorry :(
But it as totally worth it.

Bonely
Jan 15, 2017

Beep. Boop. Cuckling.
:siren: Beep. Boop. :siren:

Greetings Warhammer 30k enthusiasts [posters in the best warhammer thread]. We are excited [apathetic] to officially announce Skullapaloozaa 2017, this thread's skull themed miniature painting and conversion contest. The contest is open to anyone with an account and includes prizes [jokes] and a panel of celebrity judges [unfortunate volunteers]. As thread regulars, your participation is encouraged [mandatory] in our lighthearted community event. Skullapaloozaa will accept entries until 24:00 PST on January 20th when it will officially begin [issuing bans]:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805534

Thank you for your attention. Remember- Submit to The Emperor's will [obey]

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My first Mk III Marine from the Burning of Prospero box is done!

I'm hoping to get enough models done by sometime in February for a campaign of Tactical Strike with some local Horus Heresy friends.

Speaking of which, does anyone have the link to the goon-curated version of those rules?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Here you go:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ahdfeBukDCz8DLBs_PUudfnOiyCAO3U0gqLjW_IwYZU/edit?usp=sharing

Endman
May 18, 2010

Cheers!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Hello 30k players: I have some friends with 30k armies and would be interested in using my 40k Imperial Guard with the Solar Auxilia rules - what is their current army list, which book is it in? TIA.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Crusade Imperialis would be the most recent and up to date rules for auxilia and militia

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Endman posted:

I really like this scheme. What colors did you use for his armor?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

Hello 30k players: I have some friends with 30k armies and would be interested in using my 40k Imperial Guard with the Solar Auxilia rules - what is their current army list, which book is it in? TIA.

Worth mentioning that SA all have vacuum-sealed carapace armor so their closest 40k analogue would be stormtroopers/kasrkin. They also have really unique tank options, so no porting chimeras over. Imperial militia and cults is probably a better fit for regular cadian dudes rolling around in Rhinos with familiar tank options.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Worth mentioning that SA all have vacuum-sealed carapace armor so their closest 40k analogue would be stormtroopers/kasrkin. They also have really unique tank options, so no porting chimeras over. Imperial militia and cults is probably a better fit for regular cadian dudes rolling around in Rhinos with familiar tank options.

Yeah, but I like the idea of carapace armour and some of their squads (eg the all-power-axes one) look very cool. I convert all my models and have done converted plasticard vehicles before, so I actually want something different to the 40k IG look.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

Yeah, but I like the idea of carapace armour and some of their squads (eg the all-power-axes one) look very cool. I convert all my models and have done converted plasticard vehicles before, so I actually want something different to the 40k IG look.

:homebrew:have fun!:homebrew:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

So I don't suppose you know which army book their rules are in?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Genghis Cohen posted:

So I don't suppose you know which army book their rules are in?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/The-Horus-Heresy-Crusade-Imperialis-Army-Lists

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Thank you!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright, Victory is Vengeance trip report:

I took BULBASAUR's edit of the VisV rules on down to my FLGS to try out. I made some minor edits, myself, mostly rejiggering things to be in actual tables instead of haphazardly spread across the page. I convinced one of my friends, who's been big into 40k Kill Team recently, to give it a shot. Naturally, there were some teething issues and I came away with a few questions for those of y'all who have played this game type before.

1. Melee combat was a little clunky. The rules are that a model is only engaged in close combat if it is in base to base contact with one or more enemy models at its initiative step. Additionally, wounds can only be allocated to enemy models in base to base with one or more friendly models. That's Forge World's wording. As an example, I have an ad hoc unit of 5 tactical marines and one centurion. The centurion piles in at I5, does three wounds, but is only in contact with one enemy model while the tactical marines are in base contact with another four. How many models would be removed?
2. The rules state that ad hoc units may split fire. Is this the special rule, in which case only one model would actually be able to shoot at a different target, or does this allow all of the models to pick their own targets?
3. There's no real limit on how many action points can be spent per turn, right? I know the Adepticon ruleset maxes your pool at 7 because it's not meant to be used in a campaign setting (10 AP can be spent to increase a character's stats and AP carry over between missions, for those who don't know). BULBASAUR's edit tries to deal with this by only allowing 7 AP to be spent over the course of the entire game which isn't the same thing. Long story short, would the game be improved by imposing a limit of 2-3 AP spent per turn? 1-2 points per Hero or Leader per turn? Is a spending limit the way to go? Are players meant to constantly re-roll things?
4. If a unit that is under the effects of being out/low on ammo (snapfiring everything) rolls a 1 to hit, do they trigger an ammo roll as normal?
5. Given that the basic hero roles have some obvious favorites, I tried out the edited versions in the goon document. There are some that just don't work as well as others. I mean, there's one that's been edited to involve precision strikes and shots, but that's no longer a general mechanic for characters in 7th edition. I ran my hero as a Slayer and was generating action points left and right while my Paragon opponent barely got any. Slayer had stuck out clearly as the best option for my guy. As a result, I feel that the roles should be pared down for now, not expanded.

I see a lot of potential with this ruleset, but it's clear that FW themselves didn't flesh it out enough nor do a good job of imposing certain restrictions. There are mechanics that I really like, I just want a little more clarity on some of this stuff. To that effect, I'll work any answers to the above questions into the goon document before putting it up for review.

Bonus question:
If a model strikes at two initiative steps, such as a forge lord with a power sword and a servo arm, does the model get to pile in twice, once at I5 and again at I1?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really like this scheme. What colors did you use for his armor?

For the purple: Basecoat Naggaroth Night -> all over layer of Xereus Purple -> recess wash with Nuln Oil -> highlights with Genestealer Purple.

For the gold: Basecoat Retributor Armour -> wash with Agrax Earthshade -> general highlight with Liberator Gold -> selective highlights with Stormhost silver.

I hope that's helpful :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

Alright, Victory is Vengeance trip report:

I took BULBASAUR's edit of the VisV rules on down to my FLGS to try out. I made some minor edits, myself, mostly rejiggering things to be in actual tables instead of haphazardly spread across the page. I convinced one of my friends, who's been big into 40k Kill Team recently, to give it a shot. Naturally, there were some teething issues and I came away with a few questions for those of y'all who have played this game type before.

1. Melee combat was a little clunky. The rules are that a model is only engaged in close combat if it is in base to base contact with one or more enemy models at its initiative step. Additionally, wounds can only be allocated to enemy models in base to base with one or more friendly models. That's Forge World's wording. As an example, I have an ad hoc unit of 5 tactical marines and one centurion. The centurion piles in at I5, does three wounds, but is only in contact with one enemy model while the tactical marines are in base contact with another four. How many models would be removed?
2. The rules state that ad hoc units may split fire. Is this the special rule, in which case only one model would actually be able to shoot at a different target, or does this allow all of the models to pick their own targets?
3. There's no real limit on how many action points can be spent per turn, right? I know the Adepticon ruleset maxes your pool at 7 because it's not meant to be used in a campaign setting (10 AP can be spent to increase a character's stats and AP carry over between missions, for those who don't know). BULBASAUR's edit tries to deal with this by only allowing 7 AP to be spent over the course of the entire game which isn't the same thing. Long story short, would the game be improved by imposing a limit of 2-3 AP spent per turn? 1-2 points per Hero or Leader per turn? Is a spending limit the way to go? Are players meant to constantly re-roll things?
4. If a unit that is under the effects of being out/low on ammo (snapfiring everything) rolls a 1 to hit, do they trigger an ammo roll as normal?
5. Given that the basic hero roles have some obvious favorites, I tried out the edited versions in the goon document. There are some that just don't work as well as others. I mean, there's one that's been edited to involve precision strikes and shots, but that's no longer a general mechanic for characters in 7th edition. I ran my hero as a Slayer and was generating action points left and right while my Paragon opponent barely got any. Slayer had stuck out clearly as the best option for my guy. As a result, I feel that the roles should be pared down for now, not expanded.

I see a lot of potential with this ruleset, but it's clear that FW themselves didn't flesh it out enough nor do a good job of imposing certain restrictions. There are mechanics that I really like, I just want a little more clarity on some of this stuff. To that effect, I'll work any answers to the above questions into the goon document before putting it up for review.

Bonus question:
If a model strikes at two initiative steps, such as a forge lord with a power sword and a servo arm, does the model get to pile in twice, once at I5 and again at I1?

Woo! Glad you sunk your teeth into this one. It's been a few months since we played this last, but let me run you through this as best as I can. This is a living document and if you would like, we can work together on putting together a version 2.0 with further revisions and actual rules tables in the back.

quote:

Wonky melee combat is basically a cornerstone of warhammer :v: I would encourage you to play a few more times to see how it feels. I wasn't crazy about it at first, but it went a long way in slowing down melee. In your example, the centurion does three wounds to a single enemy model. After he is dead none of the wounds bleed over. Overkill is not a thing in VisV unless you are surrounded by models.

quote:

This is how it is intended to work. Is this different from the BrB? If so, let me know and I'll clarify it in VisV.

quote:

I clarified it in the document. Your interpretation is correct. Each and every model in an Ad-Hoc unit can shoot at different targets.

quote:

In practice there are usually a lot of re-rolls and the action point mechanic emphasizes the importance of heroes and leaders. You really feel a vacuum if you loose a leader or two and can't put them into a squad to buff the unit. Nothing can be re-rolled more than once though, so nobody should be fishing for a success over and over again. In terms of design I like the action point system quite a bit and there is no wrong answer about capping AP spends per turn or keeping it open. Keeping it open lets people save them for when they really matter while limiting them can be built into the Leader/Hero mechanic (each hero/leader allows you to spend a certain number of points per turn, as an example). I'd say play a few more times and see how you like it. I found the action point system is my favorite part of VisV.

quote:

No they shouldn't. I added this line into the Ammo rules.

quote:

This is where I think the most balance is needed, without a doubt. I spent a lot of time on these mods and even still I think there's work to be done. Some are very specific, but can be powerful in certain builds. I ran Duelist 3-4 times and let me tell you, if it's a Vigilator with some Seekers, the points pile up fast. Slayer is strong, but you gotta get into melee with it. Meanwhile Marksman for ranged characters is a steady flow of 1-3 AP each turn. I'm surprised your friend wasn't getting many AP with Paragon. If you put your Hero up front he should be getting at least 1-2 AP each turn... the trade-off being, he is first in line to get shot. Each role should be pretty specific to the point it's good at one thing, but not great as a result of the specialization. For example Pathfinder with a unit of Recon Marines is frightening, but the flip side is if your opponent ignores shooting at you (or there is not much terrain) you have nothing to 'pathfind'.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Quick question, where is the best place to get some skulls and jewellers chain?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Thundercloud posted:

A cemetery.

Assuming you already own a shovel ofc

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Hollismason
Hollismason
HOLLISMASON

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thundercloud posted:

Any decently stocked arts & crafts or hobby store should have it, alternatively Galeforce 9 sell a chain if you can find their stuff anywhere.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kingcobra posted:

Endman posted:

I'm hoping to get enough models done by sometime in February for a campaign of Tactical Strike with some local Horus Heresy friends.

Speaking of which, does anyone have the link to the goon-curated version of those rules?

Dang, this is some nice stuff this page. Both of these are just fantastically clean paint jobs, jeez. Endman- I started scaling up my painting from some Victory is Vengeance campaign games, it was definitely a good place to start from.

Slammed an unexpectedly large ham today- 2v2, 1650 a side. Ended up going on pretty long but was a lot of fun. Here's what I took:

Ironwing! Delegatus with terminator armor in a unit of powerfist termies in a DT Spartan, 5 acid heavy bolter marines in a LR Proteus, a Sicaran Venator, and two tac squads in Rhinos.

I was allied with Ultramarines, who had 2 squads in rhinos, a regular Sicaran, those axey shieldy guys with a Chaplain in a LR, a Contemptor Mortis, a quad mortar squad and a Whirlwhind Scorpius.

The traitors were Night Lords and greenmarine's Mechanicum. Metallica marines took pride of the legion with termies in an LR, two units of vets in rhinos, a teleporting termie squad, two icarus lascannon fortifications and a predator; the Martians brought a Magos in a unit of Castellax, a unit of Ursarax, a unit of Thallax in a death tractor, a cheapo squad of objective fodder with laslocks, a big doofy plasma mortarbot and an Avenger. We rolled mission 2 with an ambush deployment- me and the Ultramarines were surrounded by traitors, and we had an objective in our area to hold and one in theirs to grab. Any units totally destroyed in the first turn would be worth a VP, plus slay the warlord and attrition as secondary objectives. Deploying the battlefield:

We luckily seized the initiative and tried to break out towards our objective. My Venator zapped the pred for a victory point, and the Spartan blew up the weapon on one of the Icarus lascannon turrets.

The traitor response was pretty decisive, however. One of my rhinos of Marines got popped open and the squad within was vaporized right after by the big artillery robot, causing the few survivors to scurry away and get cut down by Castellax:

My terminators popped out to engage the Castellax for the objective as the rest of the armies positioned with each other and exchanged fire. Ironwing was really neat here, as I could use my combi-bolters to wound the T7 Castellax on 5's- had my tacs survived the first turn they could have Fury of the Legion'd those Castellax and probably killed one and wounded another. Pretty cool. That said, the Castellax tanked a ton of shooting and let the Magos scurry away to safety.

On the other side of the battlefield, the Ultramarines were pushing against the heavy hitters of the traitor force along with my Sicaran Venator.

Things were going OK until the Avenger dropped in and strafed my Sicaran, and the Ursarax charged into the Contemptor. It fought on valiantly and was soon assisted by the elite of Ultramar.

Things were starting to snowball against the loyalists, however. Both the Ultramarine and Dark Angel Sicarans got popped, the Proteus was immobilized, and one by one squads were torn apart by fire. With a few brave DA legionaries still clinging to their objectives and their comrades dead around them, the loyalists suffered a tactical loss. The last defenders:

+++ BEGIN DATA PULL [I LEGION SPARTAN CATEGORY]+++

Martian chassis no. 773991 "Sic Semper Terranus" was assigned to a squad of Terran veterans in Cataphractii armor at the beginning of the Tactical Dreadnought Armor project and served as a chapter command vehicle in numerous successful compliance missions across the Great Crusade. It was involved in fighting early into the Heresy and was observed as a participant in a last stand of a combined Ultramarines and I Legion force on Cypra Mundi IV. Strangely, it was not fired upon during that exchange and was later observed in numerous subsequent Dark Angel actions, including participation in[RECORDS DELETED]Tragically, the Ultramarines in the force died to a man, but the Dark Angels are definitely loyal nothing to see here ok?!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Endman posted:

For the purple: Basecoat Naggaroth Night -> all over layer of Xereus Purple -> recess wash with Nuln Oil -> highlights with Genestealer Purple.

For the gold: Basecoat Retributor Armour -> wash with Agrax Earthshade -> general highlight with Liberator Gold -> selective highlights with Stormhost silver.

I hope that's helpful :)

Thanks!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Great report and the LensFX additions are spot on.

But I have to say, Terr Anus is the best.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
So I want a bunch of word bearers and a knight covered in skulls, have I come to the right place?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Yes. Right now the trend with Word Bearers is a provocative red, though fashion leaders are divided on whether it should be metallic or matte. Ceramic grey is also making a resurgence, but for now it is strictly the domain of hipster Diabolists and dadcore Ashen Circle.

A knight is the perfect accessory to your Word Bearers army as it allows you to add a delightful splash of colour.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

Great report and the LensFX additions are spot on.

But I have to say, Terr Anus is the best.

You're not wrong.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

You're not wrong.

"Come brothers, today we ride aboard the Terr Anus! Together we shall be the mighty sword that plunges deep into the darkest and most vile recesses of the enemy!"

Oh and fancy poo poo coming soon.

I really like how these were painted. So soft.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Wonky melee combat is basically a cornerstone of warhammer :v: I would encourage you to play a few more times to see how it feels. I wasn't crazy about it at first, but it went a long way in slowing down melee. In your example, the centurion does three wounds to a single enemy model. After he is dead none of the wounds bleed over. Overkill is not a thing in VisV unless you are surrounded by models.
That's how we played it, I just wanted to check because it was a little weird. I kept having to roll separately for dudes in mixed squads and I wanted to make sure the awkwardness was necessary. It wasn't so bad once I got used to it, but I don't think my opponent quite got it. I will admit that it kept characters from dominating everything though. Without that, my forge lord and his two terminator buddies would have been unstoppable.

BULBASAUR posted:

This is how it is intended to work. Is this different from the BrB? If so, let me know and I'll clarify it in VisV.
That double I step question wasn't specific to VisV. I haven't really had it come up before and I wasn't sure if a model could pile in twice at two different I steps.

BULBASAUR posted:

I clarified it in the document. Your interpretation is correct. Each and every model in an Ad-Hoc unit can shoot at different targets.
Definitely handled that one wrong. I treated it as the special rule, but I'll fix that going forward.

BULBASAUR posted:

In practice there are usually a lot of re-rolls and the action point mechanic emphasizes the importance of heroes and leaders. You really feel a vacuum if you loose a leader or two and can't put them into a squad to buff the unit. Nothing can be re-rolled more than once though, so nobody should be fishing for a success over and over again. In terms of design I like the action point system quite a bit and there is no wrong answer about capping AP spends per turn or keeping it open. Keeping it open lets people save them for when they really matter while limiting them can be built into the Leader/Hero mechanic (each hero/leader allows you to spend a certain number of points per turn, as an example). I'd say play a few more times and see how you like it. I found the action point system is my favorite part of VisV.
The re-rolls were the weirdest part for me. I wasn't sure how much they were meant to be used and I was kind of sparing with them. I lost my two terminators to dumb bullshit and I should've used AP to re-roll their saves. However, I felt kind of bad because my opponent wasn't using the system at all. I'll be sure to stress the importance of it going forward. As for a cap, let me see if I can get another couple of games in and tinker with a couple of ideas. One thought is limiting re-rolls to 2-3 per turn for a hero and 1-2 per turn for a leader. Points spent on temporary special rules would bypass the per-turn limit since you can only have one active at a time anyways. Another is just a solid cap of 10 points spent over the course of a game or something.

BULBASAUR posted:

No they shouldn't. I added this line into the Ammo rules.
That's how we played it, but I just wanted to be sure.

BULBASAUR posted:

This is where I think the most balance is needed, without a doubt. I spent a lot of time on these mods and even still I think there's work to be done. Some are very specific, but can be powerful in certain builds. I ran Duelist 3-4 times and let me tell you, if it's a Vigilator with some Seekers, the points pile up fast. Slayer is strong, but you gotta get into melee with it. Meanwhile Marksman for ranged characters is a steady flow of 1-3 AP each turn. I'm surprised your friend wasn't getting many AP with Paragon. If you put your Hero up front he should be getting at least 1-2 AP each turn... the trade-off being, he is first in line to get shot. Each role should be pretty specific to the point it's good at one thing, but not great as a result of the specialization. For example Pathfinder with a unit of Recon Marines is frightening, but the flip side is if your opponent ignores shooting at you (or there is not much terrain) you have nothing to 'pathfind'.
I'll make an effort post later with the original hero roles and your edited versions to compare. We can maybe get the thread involved in discussing the different options. Crowdsource this poo poo. Or something.

Generally speaking, I'll send my version to you once I've made a few more edits and we've hammered out some ideas for roles. Like I said, I enjoyed this game type and want to play it more in the future. It just needs some fine-tuning.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cool! I agree, it's in a good spot, just needs some fine tuning. Getting ideas from the thread is also welcome, especially if more people here want to try out the system.

One thing to add- there currently is a cap of 7 AP per game. You can generate more in a game to carry over, but you can only ever use 7 (3 from your hero + 2x2 for each leader)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

"Come brothers, today we ride aboard the Terr Anus! Together we shall be the mighty sword that plunges deep into the darkest and most vile recesses of the enemy!"

Oh and fancy poo poo coming soon.

I really like how these were painted. So soft.

:getin: :getin: :getin:

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Is it me, or is the Fist just a little bit too lemon? Great painting all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They don't really have a consistent theme for the Fists on the FW store. The kits based on multiple copies of calth are almost neon compared to the command squads and vehicles.