Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Deptfordx posted:

Wasn't that guy whose combat scenes seemed surprisingly realistic, and then it turned out he had plagiarised entire sections from someone elses actual War Memoir.
Apparently he plagiarized House to House, an Iraq war memoir, wholesale for his book Flesh and Iron. Do a ctrl+F on this page for "house to house" - there's a few excerpts that are drat near word for word:
http://lukereviews.webs.com/apps/blog/show/3500455

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Yep, and C.S Gotto recycled some movie scripts he wrote to fast write his BL books.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

SRM posted:

Apparently he plagiarized House to House, an Iraq war memoir, wholesale for his book Flesh and Iron. Do a ctrl+F on this page for "house to house" - there's a few excerpts that are drat near word for word:
http://lukereviews.webs.com/apps/blog/show/3500455

The worst part were the endorsements by Abnett on the cover, I felt betrayed.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Ha :v: I actually finished that book what a mistake that was. However, I think it was having done so that meant I dropped castellax after about 150 pages I wasn't going to wade through bullshit just because I'd bought it like I did with emperor's mercy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

I believe that is the only book I have ever stopped reading by throwing it at a wall. While Battle for the Abyss epitomises the incompetence of the BL authors and editors, Emperor's Mercy is a crime against writing itself.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 14, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Angry Lobster posted:

Yep, and C.S Gotto recycled some movie scripts he wrote to fast write his BL books.

Any more detail on this? That sounds hilarious.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I believe that is the only book I have ever stopped reading by throwing it at a wall. While Battle for the Abyss epitomises the incompetence of the BL authors and editors, Emperor's Mercy is a crime against writing itself.

That almost makes me want to read it, I don't think I've ever gotten that mad at a piece of media before.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SRM posted:

Any more detail on this? That sounds hilarious.

That almost makes me want to read it, I don't think I've ever gotten that mad at a piece of media before.

At least it was his own stuff.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You're making it sound almost interesting. Care to offer a capsule review?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have a very high tolerance for poor writing and it is also one of the only books I've ever put down maybe halfway through and just was totally exasperated by the poor writing and lack of quality.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I remember correctly, I read Emperor's Mercy a few years ago and hated it. There was a part where a big deal is made about a mysterious masked woman attacking the Inquisitor, but there were only two female characters in the whole book and one of them was shown to be on another continent at the time.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sephyr posted:

You're making it sound almost interesting. Care to offer a capsule review?

It really isn't interesting at all. It is simply a print out of writing that would be considered sub-par on a fan fiction website hosting work by teenagers, interspersed with stolen scenes from another person's real life experience of war. It isn't really a book in my mind. Something like Battle for the Abyss offends me because it is a shittily written and edited book, that at some stage had potential to be worth reading. Zhou's 'work' doesn't have that. He isn't a writer and it was never going to be a book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, Cadia just exploded, and the clock struck M42.

They're really doing this, aren't they? They're gonna Age of Sigmar the poo poo outta the setting.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Arcsquad12 posted:

So, Cadia just exploded, and the clock struck M42.

They're really doing this, aren't they? They're gonna Age of Sigmar the poo poo outta the setting.

Nah, it's still profitable.
Right?

....right?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Any links on stuff to read about this?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dodoman posted:

Any links on stuff to read about this?

For the low low price of 59.99 you can now download Warhammer 40000: Warzones: Fall of Cadia on your kindle! Or some poo poo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They aren't age of sigmaring it, they're just advancing the story enough that they can bring back Primarchs so they can make huge expensive models for them.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Abaddon could really use a new model, one where the arms stay. Although if he dies I would really like to have it written that his arms get ripped off or something like that.

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 16, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Wait did Cadia actually explode? Or was it just conquered?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Someone post some screenshots n poo poo

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Telsa Cola posted:

Wait did Cadia actually explode? Or was it just conquered?

Boom.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

The Harlequin Shadowseer that Cawl had prior dealings with is there too. "What is this?" asks Cawl. "Into the light of a new dawn," the Shadowseer answers. Up ahead Cawl can see Celestine hovering above the opening of a Webway Portal, guiding the Imperials through. "The ending has passed.", says the Harlequin, "It is time for a new beginning. There is a parley to be struck, if you have the courage."

I read the summary here and it reads like the greatest hits of the imperium (including an immortal conjuring heresy era troops and Tanith snipers) fighting off the black legion.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 16, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that certainly seems better planned out than the End TImes, at least. I wonder if they will go full retard, as that is always an option with Games Workshop. My personal choice for a broken Imperium would be a bunch of successor kingdoms that follow the calamity.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Techpriest Marvin of Mars sheds a single tear of joy and does not know why.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I'm just psyched for loving Trazyn. Only character that realizes how batshit insane the setting is and just wanted to make a museum out of it. In incredibly assholish ways. I'd still love for him and Cain to get a book together. I figure at the end he'd try to put Cain and Jurgen in an exhibit just to be forced to release them because he couldn't contain Jurgen's funk.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Are there any good Indiana Jones references buried somewhere in the fluff? I feel like it'd be a pretty easy reference for them - Trazyn would get lost in his own museum!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Are we ever going to get another Ciaphas Cain book?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No. And I'll bet once the 40k time of ending is over anything set in the regular 40k timeline will probably cease

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arcsquad12 posted:

No. And I'll bet once the 40k time of ending is over anything set in the regular 40k timeline will probably cease

The time of ending/Gathering Storm isn't going to AoS the setting or anything. The Cain books are already supposed to be things that happened, and they usually have notes from Amberly as she reviews them years later.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Cain books were, as I recall, the first thing to cross into the 42nd millennium. And yeah, GW have explicitly said nothing is being ended.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I'd like to see a Nightlords trilogy sequel now that they've officially moved the timeline forward.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So I'm really a leyman when it comes to 40K and I don't play the tabletop at all. Is there a novel where all this poo poo on Cadia going down occurs or is it in a tabletop expansion?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm actually surprised it didn't launch with a tie-in novel. As of now there isn't a novel detailing the Fall of Cadia but all the fluff's int he Gathering Storm book.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've been reading through some of the more recent 40k books recently and it's really interesting to me that they never seem to mention using Thunderhawks anymore- it's always a Stormraven. I wonder if this is just trying to push the thing that has a non-forgeworld model or they're trying to phase it out entirely.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pendent posted:

I've been reading through some of the more recent 40k books recently and it's really interesting to me that they never seem to mention using Thunderhawks anymore- it's always a Stormraven. I wonder if this is just trying to push the thing that has a non-forgeworld model or they're trying to phase it out entirely.

It's absolutely a sales push. ADB basically had to rewrite a bunch of stuff into The Emperor's Gift because GW wanted to showcase new units from an upcoming release for the Grey Knights.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So is the emperor actually a god or what? Before I started reading the books I had just assumed he was an empty corpse locked into the golden throne with the psyker sacrifices being used to keep the Astronomican lit, but things like the experiences Gaunt has in Sabbat Martyr and the existence of the saints themselves makes me think there might actually be something to this whole God-Emperor thing. Is it just a case of him being a powerful enough psyker that he may as well be a god?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you can get hold of WHRFP 1st edition it explains the entire idea of what being a god actually means in warhams and back then 40k and Fantasy were the same universe. TL;DR version is that it's a feedback loop. Psykers have strong warp presences. He's powerful enough to make people think he's a god. That makes their warp presence bolster his. Which makes him more powerful. Which makes more people believe. Ad nauseum.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

bango skank posted:

So is the emperor actually a god or what? Before I started reading the books I had just assumed he was an empty corpse locked into the golden throne with the psyker sacrifices being used to keep the Astronomican lit, but things like the experiences Gaunt has in Sabbat Martyr and the existence of the saints themselves makes me think there might actually be something to this whole God-Emperor thing. Is it just a case of him being a powerful enough psyker that he may as well be a god?

He isn't "actually" anything. It's whatever a given author wants it to be.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arquinsiel posted:

If you can get hold of WHRFP 1st edition it explains the entire idea of what being a god actually means in warhams and back then 40k and Fantasy were the same universe. TL;DR version is that it's a feedback loop. Psykers have strong warp presences. He's powerful enough to make people think he's a god. That makes their warp presence bolster his. Which makes him more powerful. Which makes more people believe. Ad nauseum.

Makes sense, I thought it might be one of those "worshiping him as a god is what makes him godlike" situations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pendent posted:

Yeah, it's a sales push. Some Warp Talons are awkwardly shoved into one of the Night Lords books too, for instance, and then they're just kinda gone the next page if I recall. When you've got a squad of 10 dudes as the center of the story it makes more sense than having them take up a full Thunderhawk though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm just getting started on Rob Sanders' Adeptus Mechanicus omnibus, and I continue to enjoy pretty much everything he puts out. He's definitely one of the more imaginative BL authors and isn't afraid to get weird with characters and settings.