Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Discendo Vox posted:

We can talk about it in the Pseudoscience thread, then.
Why'd you bring it up here then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SubG posted:

Why'd you bring it up here then?

I answered someone's question. I don't want to keep derailing things.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Fair enough. But it's more or less impossible to derail the taintchat thread. It doesn't have rails in the first place. Not counting the rails of coke on Pr0k's Mom's rear end.

Anyway, I guess the pseudoscience thread is the right place to discuss the controlled substances list, if you're being charitable enough to attribute any scientific intent at all to it. Which the guys who came up with the idea sure as poo poo didn't.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Figging is one of those silly things that kinky people like to joke about, but not actually do. At least, I've never seen anyone do it.

Although I do know a woman who likes to put hot sauce on her delicate parts. That's kind of close.
And Vicks Vapo rub, too.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, but we love pedantic arguments in here!

I guess the definition of addiction is a slippery, so how about this: while not specifically a "drug", you can use sugar as a drug. It's not so much the sugar as the ritualistic junkie behaviors that people build around it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, carbohydrates.

I thought carbohydrates were also non-essential, if the easier option for the body to use?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ulmont posted:

I thought carbohydrates were also non-essential, if the easier option for the body to use?

Only kinda. You can go zero carb, but your body starts breaking down other parts of you instead. Zero carb diets work by (vast simplifications here) crippling your body's ability to process nutrients. The dieter enters a state called "ketosis", or ketogenic shock, where the body is basically sapping other systems for energy. It's a great way to give yourself cardiovascular damage, among other things. The savvier zero carb diet sellers say you only do this to lose weight, then enter a sustaining period where you just consume low amounts of carbs- but they usually package it with a bunch of other spurious health claims too, and there's not good info on how much damage being in ketosis for the weight loss period causes. There's a lot of money in selling "keto", but that's because 1) it provides a simple villain and solution, 2)the negative health effects are distant and hard to trace ethically, and 3) because nutrition is a horrible viper's nest of corruption and bad research. And maybe some other stuff involving the neuro effects of ketosis- I'd have to do some research to see where things have shifted on that.

Ketogenic diets are sometimes prescribed for people with certain life-threatening conditions (particularly forms of epilepsy), but 1) that's still a minority position and the evidence is squiffy for a few reasons having to do with the limits of nutrition research/clinician bias/conflict of interest problems, and 2) it's basically viewed as a "this keeps you from dying much sooner" solution.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 16, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Until I see evidence that someone has sucked dick for a bowl of Sugar Smacks, I'm not going to believe that sugar is addictive above and beyond the ability for any pleasurable thing to become "addictive".

I had a pretty lovely day yesterday, and now three bags of Strike King brand double tailed Menace Grubs are on their way to my house. Upon clicking "Submit Order" I immediately felt a wave of relief wash over me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
You guys ever bought fishing lures?

Have you ever bought fishing lures..........on weed?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bongwizzard posted:

Until I see evidence that someone has sucked dick for a bowl of Sugar Smacks, I'm not going to believe that sugar is addictive above and beyond the ability for any pleasurable thing to become "addictive".

I had a pretty lovely day yesterday, and now three bags of Strike King brand double tailed Menace Grubs are on their way to my house. Upon clicking "Submit Order" I immediately felt a wave of relief wash over me.

I once let a leather-clad biker named Big Teddy make himself free with my bottom in exchange for a large bucket of assorted chocolate bars. I neither regret nor am ashamed of it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

You guys ever bought fishing lures?

Have you ever bought fishing lures..........on weed?

In this scenario, am I on weed or are the fishing lures?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

In this scenario, am I on weed or are the fishing lures?

Both baby, both.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

I guess the definition of addiction is a slippery, so how about this: while not specifically a "drug", you can use sugar as a drug. It's not so much the sugar as the ritualistic junkie behaviors that people build around it.
Addiction is inherently a slippery concept because: there is frequent confusion and/or equivocation between physiological dependence (which tends to have an empirically identifiable organic cause) and addiction (which is a description of behaviour, which means it is inextricably culturally bound); confusion and/or equivocation about the nature of diagnostic instruments like e.g. the DSM (which is merely a descriptive taxonomy and is a document that impinges on empirical science only at its periphery); and confusion and/or equivocation about the concept of `drug' (in this case the controlled substance list, which is itself overtly a political rather than scientific document).

That's not to say that any pronouncements based on all of this are necessarily wrong. It's just a mistake to approach a question like `is sugar addictive' as if it's a question whose answer can even in principle consist entirely of empirical science (which it cannot) rather than a mass of cultural values and biases (which it invariably is).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've been told that my sweet kisses are addictive.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Truly invigorating!

For a taster try rubbing some wasabi paste on your Johnson. You won't regret it!

Accidentally capsicuming your genitals is still the initiation where you can call yourself a cook right?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Friend of mine is typing up old family recipes and had some things even my keen handwriting-deciphering eye can't figure...line says "Make a custard using a ______ _____ of milk, 3 eggs; make very sweet (1/2 to 3/4 cups sugar) flavor with vanilla.

It looks, based on the rest of this handwriting, that it says "using a scaub puit of milk," which I'm flummoxed by and my research into archaic units of volume led nowhere. Recipe is dated Dec. 4 1933, if it helps. Anyone have any thoughts?

edit: I'm increasingly sure it's a "scant" something, my instinct would say pint but the i is definitely the penultimate letter. I took a pic:

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 17, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Definitely "pint." Look at the "in" in "begins" farther down.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Yeah, that person's lowercase "n"s all look like Us and the dot for the I is just too far to the right

e: yeah, look at "whipping" near the top of the page. the dot's over the n in that word too, and the Ps look similar.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 17, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cool project! It's pretty rare that old family recipes even get written down.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

Although I do know a woman who likes to put hot sauce on her delicate parts. That's kind of close.

Does she call, it

because I feel like she should.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Ok, yeah, after looking at the "whipping" I'm definitely seeing "pint." The other hurdles I successfully figured out were "Knox's gelatin" and a bit telling you, if you cut the lady fingers into four pieces, about how many total you should need.

It's weird, deciphering handwriting is something I've always seemed to enjoy, perhaps even have a knack for. In high school I was pretty much the only person who could read my roommate's handwriting.

But yeah, she's planning on actually making a little book for her dad, IIRC, taking a bookbinding seminar and everything. My family-accessible google drive folder full of recipes feels kinda lazy by comparison.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trebuchet King posted:

Ok, yeah, after looking at the "whipping" I'm definitely seeing "pint." The other hurdles I successfully figured out were "Knox's gelatin" and a bit telling you, if you cut the lady fingers into four pieces, about how many total you should need.

Knox Gelatin actually has an interesting little history! http://www.knoxgelatine.com/history.htm. tl;dr, Guy invents powdered gelatin, goes all Mad Men, dies. Wife inherits company, sells off mad men bullshit, focuses on developing recipes to take gelatin from fancy-shmancy dinner party treat to common use household item. Runs company for 40 years, was considered most powerful woman in the business world in her time. Not bad for unflavored gelatin powder.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Knox Gelatin actually has an interesting little history! http://www.knoxgelatine.com/history.htm. tl;dr, Guy invents powdered gelatin, goes all Mad Men, dies. Wife inherits company, sells off mad men bullshit, focuses on developing recipes to take gelatin from fancy-shmancy dinner party treat to common use household item. Runs company for 40 years, was considered most powerful woman in the business world in her time. Not bad for unflavored gelatin powder.

That was really interesting. Thanks!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I didn't get a response at all in the other threads, so what's good in Portland? Food, coffee, other drink.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've been to the LA one and it was great:
http://pokpokpdx.com/

Get the fish sauce wings or boar collar meat, and affogato for dessert

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I've been to the LA one and it was great:
http://pokpokpdx.com/

Get the fish sauce wings or boar collar meat, and affogato for dessert

That's one of the few things that was already on our list, but thanks for reaffirming it!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
How long are you there for? Pizza at Tabor Bread on Sundays is worth it. Trinket & Jam are good brunches, the latter is crazy busy on weekends though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sweat poteto posted:

How long are you there for? Pizza at Tabor Bread on Sundays is worth it. Trinket & Jam are good brunches, the latter is crazy busy on weekends though.

5ish days with a pretty open schedule & budget. Thanks! I'll look into Tabor for Sunday & maybe we can catch brunch on a weekday if they serve then.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
3rd ing pok pok, I have over 100 places bookmarked to try in PDX on yelp and never seem to try them out cause I always go to pok pok.

You might check out the Oregon public house, the a non-profit pub or poshines cafe up in the north end for some soul food

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this video makes me want to find a mic and drop it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5qJ3MAPxS8

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
pdx:

Kim Jong Smokehouse for my boy BJ, Langbaan for my old coworker Maya's desserts... Hale Pele for drinks

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

:stare:

I don't know what I would do for a piece of that crackling.

I think it's kind of silly to spend 30 euros for a kilo of black peppercorns, though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

God drat mp that's a pro loving click.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
His oven has a porchetta setting

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

His oven has a porchetta setting

It looks like it's a kind that can be programmed.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

Dear holy lord that is amazing (and opening my own butcher shop is a life goal). I can only hope to be that awesome one day.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

mindphlux posted:

i watched this, then followed one of the links to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeWauZQcv2U

and now i'm sort of dizzy-hungry

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Dear holy lord that is amazing (and opening my own butcher shop is a life goal). I can only hope to be that awesome one day.

I want to work in a butchers. The local guy by me is awesome but he wont take anyone on without professional experience because the one person he tried to train once cut a finger off. UF does a butchery program, but I really don't feel like getting into crazy college debt to be a meatcutter. And "Meat Scientist" sounds cool, but probably does not translate well into dollar signs. So I just watch Scott Rea videos and mess around at home and the farm and hope the part-time position at Publix becomes open again.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of butchery squadgoals - I just started curing meat again, and am excited to get back into it after a year or two of just being insanely busy at work.

I have a 'fermentation fridge' that I've used for many years of beer brewing. I had tried to use for meat curing too, but could never get the humidity levels right. I finally bought a humidity controller and jury-rigged up a solution to add humidity (fan blowing on bowl of salted water, with a tea towel hanging) a few nights ago, and it seems to be holding humidity levels pretty steady.

I ghetto taped it and my temperature controller to the top of the fridge (so looks pretty messy compared to if I spent a couple hours building a housing and tidying up all the wires and poo poo), but whatever, y'all are nerds, doubt you care. just have a couple duck breast "prosciuttos" hanging right now, but have some bresaola and a pork tenderloin (not sure what to call it, did it heavy on hungarian paprika and garlic) sitting in the cure - they'll hang next week.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Noice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mindphlux posted:

speaking of butchery squadgoals

Beautiful stuff!

Should we have a butchery thread? Separate from meat curing and stuff.