Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

I don't like parts of civilisation as it stands, since the facade of democracy allows me no real way to affect beneficial change I'm training my kids to maintain dunebuggies and fire crossbows so they'll be the leading class of the post apocalyptic society.

Glad I'm not the only one doing this. I mean if you can't work on a war rig while mobile you have failed as a child. My kids know school work doesn't mean poo poo to me. Fix the vehicle while it's moving and then you will have one proud imortan pappa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

She sounds like a right catch and if he can't see she's blatantly a complete arsehole then he can get hosed too.

I expect he'll come round though. I'm hoping he'll come round.

Nah, he got her to stay with him by agreeing to not let me and his other best friend become roommates so I'm stuck living with my abusive, mentally ill mom indefinitely because even taking out as much in student loans as I'm allowed to I can't get enough to afford rent here, even with one roommate. Good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sinestro posted:

Nah, he got her to stay with him by agreeing to not let me and his other best friend become roommates so I'm stuck living with my abusive, mentally ill mom indefinitely because even taking out as much in student loans as I'm allowed to I can't get enough to afford rent here, even with one roommate. Good.

:wtf: She goes so far as to say who his friends can/can't live with?

Hopefully someday he'll realize how toxic that bitch is. :smith:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

In other news, I was at discount tire today and an old man asked if they gave rim jobs.

:wtf:

Edit: he needs a rim job to correct his imbalance.

Edit edit: maybe he needs an alignment as well?

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 16, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

He knew exactly what he was asking :corsair:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:wtf: She goes so far as to say who his friends can/can't live with?

Hopefully someday he'll realize how toxic that bitch is. :smith:

Also, his other best friend is going to end up at least temporarily homeless because of him. Good thing he's the only person I even know in real life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinestro posted:

Also, his other best friend is going to end up at least temporarily homeless because of him. Good thing he's the only person I even know in real life.

Are we friends on FB? I swear this sounds very familiar.

I'm also really sorry about what you're going through, I dunno if my current ordeal is making me more sympathetic for others but I got pretty angry at that woman which is odd considering I don't even know that much about the situation.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Are we friends on FB? I swear this sounds very familiar.

I'm also really sorry about what you're going through, I dunno if my current ordeal is making me more sympathetic for others but I got pretty angry at that woman which is odd considering I don't even know that much about the situation.

We are, drat it. You've transferred your Friend Energy to me or some poo poo.

I've never met her but nothing he's said about her gives me any impression of her other than that she's taking advantage of my friend's insecurities to just completely control his life. She's not going to be able to move back from Bolivia for a few years, for added bonus spinelessness points. I guess having her scream at him and aggravate the poo poo out of his horrible depression to the point where just in the time I've known him he's been suicidal at least twice because of her, once to the point of voluntarily checking himself in to a facility because of how hosed up he was for years while just waiting for her to come back is more important than everyone else.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Aaaaaand I broke the wiper linkage on my truck this morning. Forecast is freezing rain and more rain. God drat it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Wife called me to say that the Flex just displayed "Low Oil Pressure" warning light. A cursory google search says most people experience a sensor failure, or it could be something stuck in the oil screen and or/oil pump failing. I told her to drive it home and park it. She is all pissed off at me because she said she wasn't done going to some stores she needed to. :mad:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sinestro posted:

I've never met her but nothing he's said about her gives me any impression of her other than that she's taking advantage of my friend's insecurities to just completely control his life. She's not going to be able to move back from Bolivia for a few years, for added bonus spinelessness points. I guess having her scream at him and aggravate the poo poo out of his horrible depression to the point where just in the time I've known him he's been suicidal at least twice because of her, once to the point of voluntarily checking himself in to a facility because of how hosed up he was for years while just waiting for her to come back is more important than everyone else.

I'll never understand why people sacrifice their own happiness/sanity just to have a warm body to sleep next to.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sounds like he's not even getting that.

Sinestro posted:

She's not going to be able to move back from Bolivia for a few years

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sinestro posted:

WTF??

I hope he sees very soon he has to get rid of her and the sooner the better. That poo poo is just fuuuuuuucked up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Wife called me to say that the Flex just displayed "Low Oil Pressure" warning light. A cursory google search says most people experience a sensor failure, or it could be something stuck in the oil screen and or/oil pump failing. I told her to drive it home and park it. She is all pissed off at me because she said she wasn't done going to some stores she needed to. :mad:

How could she justify being pissed of at you? You have no control over the inner workings of the motor... and I'm sure the fine items she NEEDED to purchase at the store will still be there and she won't die before she gets to those stores to buy those fine items...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seminal Flu posted:

How could she justify being pissed of at you? You have no control over the inner workings of the motor... and I'm sure the fine items she NEEDED to purchase at the store will still be there and she won't die before she gets to those stores to buy those fine items...

Humans are akin to robots, and behave rationally and logically at all times and under all levels of stress.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
gently caress it. let her go continue her errands and ask if she'd like to go car shopping afterwards.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Are there any brake/clutch bleeding tools worth buying for under $50? Yelling instructions to my wife and running around to keep the reservoir topped up is getting old.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

She later got in touch to tell me she was more annoyed at the situation and apologized for taking it out on me. I would just rather not let the engine get all explodey (although it does have the engine/powertrain warranty...) She was grabbing things for dinner and had to get some other stuff so now her plans were thrown out.

Even though I could get stuff on the way home from work...

cursedshitbox posted:

gently caress it. let her go continue her errands and ask if she'd like to go car shopping afterwards.

:frogon: She would not be happy about that given the large chunk of money being sent today for the E90 M3 I am buying. We will have four cars until I can whittle down the E36 M3. I told her to go and drive the Mazda 6 but she didn't want to do that idea because transferring car seats between cars is a pain in the rear end (I don't blame her)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are there any brake/clutch bleeding tools worth buying for under $50? Yelling instructions to my wife and running around to keep the reservoir topped up is getting old.

DIY pressure bleeder saved my rear end on the brake system rebuild I just did on my C10. Replace the DIY cap with an actual Motive cap if yours isn't likely to work well (such as an old-school cast-iron reservoir with two isolated chambers).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geoj posted:

We just found out today that my wife's 15 year old nephew unironically believes the earth is flat. Also wants to be homeschooled because "the teachers are all part of the conspiracy to keep the public in the dark that John Glenn never flew in space because allegedly he wouldn't swear on a bible that it actually happened and the moon landings were fake."

It was kind of interesting hearing my wife's sister and her husband try to argue against him when they're both unironic Trump supporters and spent the past year parroting every batshit insane conspiracy theory coming out of the alt-right. I find it amusing because the kid is essentially the product of his own upbringing and his parents don't seem to realize it.

Flat earth is one belief/conspiracy theory/whatever that well and truly boggles my mind. While a lot of the weird beliefs out there are somewhat nebulous, or can be at least semi-supported by "evidence", flat-earth can be disproved by going to any port and watching ships come over the horizon, going out to flatland like Kansas and looking at the horizon, or, you know getting on a plane and watching outside. It's directly observable with no special knowledge or skill (unlike, say trying to explain why pictures from the moon's surface don't look like pictures from the earths' surface.)
That's just willful ignorance.

Regarding all the Millenial etc. talk, Iv'e come to the realization that it's entirely likely that my daughter, now 15, will never leave the nest. My mother voted for Trump, solely on the two candidates stances on abortion. I stopped just shy of telling her "well, sure, lets save all the babies, so they can be slaves in the coming new world order." Really disappointed in the lack of thought involved in her knee-jerk single issue voting to destroy the future. Haven't asked dad, but I'm sure he voted for the Cheeto, too.
My daughter isn't doing well in school, solely because she doesn't want to do the assignments, and I have to play adult and tell he she's got to do them, and that it will matter that she graduates, and such, when I know in my heart of hearts that there will be no jobs almost regardless of what she does, and she and we won't be able to afford to send her to college to get the Master's degree that what few entry-level jobs there will be will require.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

DIY pressure bleeder saved my rear end on the brake system rebuild I just did on my C10. Replace the DIY cap with an actual Motive cap if yours isn't likely to work well (such as an old-school cast-iron reservoir with two isolated chambers).

I need to build on of those.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't want to go to this viewing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I don't want to go to this viewing.

Stay strong.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Goober Peas posted:

In other news, I was at discount tire today and an old man asked if they gave rim jobs.

:wtf:

Edit: he needs a rim job to correct his imbalance.

Edit edit: maybe he needs an alignment as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLpGYTcqHME

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you have a compressor, the air-powered vacuum ones work reasonably well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This 9yo cask strength unchillfiltered Bunnahabhain is really doing a number on my tasty buds. I'm drinking a glass of water now, after having had a dram, and the drat water tastes salty :confused:

It's curious, but I kinda like it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

Stay strong.

I keep going from just perfectly fine to terrified to do this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I need to build on of those.

It's seriously easy to build. You can use it either with fluid in it so you never need to top poo poo up (this probably works better for modern plastic reservoirs), or just with air and keep topping up the master itself. The problem with using it to push fluid straight into a cast iron master is that when you pull it off, the fluid will be right at the very top of the reservoir and will probably spill a little in the process.

I threw a pressure gauge on mine just so I can see how much I'm putting into it, but it seems to work out that on an empty one-gallon sprayer, one pump roughly equals one PSI. 10 PSI is plenty to get fluid flowing.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

I built one of these a while back and used a junkyard cap for the reservoir. Couldn't build pressure as it just blew out under the cap. I guess I could pick up a Motive cap and try that but they're already bled at this point. gently caress it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Went to the credit union to get the cashiers check to send to my intermediary for the M3 and forgot it's a bank holiday :emo:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I built one of these a while back and used a junkyard cap for the reservoir. Couldn't build pressure as it just blew out under the cap. I guess I could pick up a Motive cap and try that but they're already bled at this point. gently caress it.

The Motive "classic reservoir" cap (the big rectangular aluminum chunk with two ports), combined with a big-rear end C-clamp, works well on mine. I've never even tried the chains / J-hooks it came with, it all just seems way too fiddly when a clamp does the job. I do vaguely wish I'd found an application newer than '73 C10 when I swapped master cylinders, just so I could use a plastic reservoir and a twist-lock cap, but what I've got works.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
just booked tickets to japan, going to spend two weeks at ebisu shredding tires and body panels. anyone been before?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Motive "classic reservoir" cap (the big rectangular aluminum chunk with two ports), combined with a big-rear end C-clamp, works well on mine. I've never even tried the chains / J-hooks it came with, it all just seems way too fiddly when a clamp does the job. I do vaguely wish I'd found an application newer than '73 C10 when I swapped master cylinders, just so I could use a plastic reservoir and a twist-lock cap, but what I've got works.

That's the thing. I'm using the master and reservoir off a '00 Camaro with the modern twisty plastic cap. I even had the rubber seal in there and it would just blow through.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SquirrelGrip posted:

just booked tickets to japan, going to spend two weeks at ebisu shredding tires and body panels. anyone been before?
Japan yes, Ebisu no.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Weird, I'd figure that would work better. I haven't had the chance to bleed anything newer with it yet anyway. I still bought the Motive adapter for my WJ since it's about as cheap as buying another master cylinder cap and hacking it up, and I've already got my pressure bleeder set up to connect to Motive adapters.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SquirrelGrip posted:

Haven't been to Ebisu yet but have been to Japan. Eat as much as you can.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SquirrelGrip posted:

Been to Japan but not Ebisu. Hit up the konbini and buy a Strong Zero Grapefruit; I loved them and drank one every day, my wife on the other hand hated the flavor

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

I get depressed about debt and my kids future and my abject lack of a social life occasionally, it's hard to deal with but I'm aware I'm lucky. Mid thirties with a decent job, a well built house and a healthy family. Sure I don't have money for a project car and I'll never have the money to throw away on taking the kids to Disneyland (if I had that spare I'd prefer to put it in savings for them because gently caress Disney) but I'm okay.

I need to work on my social life too! We should sort something out as I have also got a box of electronics and arduino stuff to learn to use and I also like drinking and no longer know any other nerds locally.
I'll message you!

I also have too many project cars so if you ever want to play with one then let me know!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Hey

Hey you

You like cars and video games, right?

Well, after many, many delays and missed deadlines, I've finally launched my next racing challenge for Automation. Come check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've been going up to the local car meet that happens every few wednesdays down the road. Mostly hanging out with the dsm guys since a buddy of mine drives an Eclipse and talks to them. Went over to one of their houses today to help my buddy polish his eclipse. He had been at it for 3 hours by hand and it looked like poo. I brought over the 90's dewalt powered rotary polisher from my garage and tested a few different pads and techniques out. Figured out that the 8" foam pads on the polisher with meguires professional fine cut and mirror glaze was exactly what I wanted. loving had his hood looking shiny with 90% fewer swirl marks in no time flat. I don't wanna think how much work that would have been by hand. And I got to drool over a really clean 2nd gen eclipse gsx. :kimchi:

• Locked thread