Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Messadiah posted:

The airport I work in does that for ones that haven't been fully tested and commissioned, since they can't be guaranteed to be functioning yet...

Seems like a bad idea.

All the tape does is potentially discourage someone from trying an alarm that probably would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czmDo6aE5eg

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

This is why I will never buy anywhere with a HOA.

gently caress having someone with rights on your title that can 'fine' you over poo poo you can't fight in court. Guy's dad sounds like a crazy rear end in a top hat, but still.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 14, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Clicked the dude's post history, his last post before the HOA stuff adds a whole new layer of :smith:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

Clicked the dude's post history, his last post before the HOA stuff adds a whole new layer of :smith:

About the wage garnishment?

.....or the Craigslist three way?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jealous Cow posted:

About the wage garnishment?

.....or the Craigslist three way?
The new years post where he's hype about 2017 and looking forward to fixing up his mom's house.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Baronjutter posted:

I've never really seen houses like on her blog. they seem like weird alien TV sets. I like how she got into kit houses and suddenly it was like "hey, here's all the houses that look like where I live!" I don't know how many are actual kit houses or just houses built in the same general turn of the century to pre-war times. A cool construction history thing I learned though is that a ton of the houses of a certain vintage (I think 30's) where I live are all made out of old box-cars. Around that time the railway was switching from wood to metal cars, or just had a ton of wood cars they retired. So people bought up this wood for cheap and used it for houses, and when you are doing a reno you'll clearly see old box-car ads and CPR logo's and reporting marks and stuff on the boards.

Nah, around here they were WPA projects using stolen Sears-catalog-house plans with peach crates & salvaged shutters for sheathing.

Thank god the framing was overbuilt (except for the 24" O.C. 2X4 roof joisting with no purlins)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 16, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Crappy Construction Tales: Load-Bearing Ethernet Cable

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What's the rated tensile strength of Ethernet cable? Solid or stranded?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Man, looking for houses on zillow.

:psyduck:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I need the listed price of this palace of opulence.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why is the bedroom so big?? You could fit a spacious bachelor into that space. I never understood the massive-bedroom house design fad. I knew a guy back in the day and his parents had a 70's house and the master bedroom was probably the biggest room in the house. It was a huge house, 3br, the master was probably something insane like 17x25, the 2 other bedrooms were at least 15x15, every bedroom had its own bathroom, plus another full 3-piece bathroom. Then they had a tiny tiny dining room, a tiny kitchen, and a small living room (which were each their own rooms, not open plan). The use of space was so weird.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sorry, forgot the listing link:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6709-N-24th-Dr-Phoenix-AZ-85015/7772967_zpid/

"Man, sucks to have to re-tile for the sale. I really like this fleur-de-lis pattern."

*looks up in depression*

"Wait, I have an idea."

How many corner shelves do you need?

I'm the ungrounded outlets above the toilet

The greatest thing about that bathroom is you can fill the sink with sangria and dip your cup while taking a bath without having to get up.

YOU GO TO GOODWILL AND JUST BUY GARBAGE EVERY WEEKEND. NOBODY NEEDS THAT MANY TEACUPS AND MISMATCHED PLATES. "Marie, I have a master plan."

What are we going to do with 45 gallons of sky blue acrylic paint?

"And while we're at it, let's embed giant tea cups around the front door"

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 16, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The thing I could never understand was a separate bidet from the toilet. Call me low class, but how do you use that? Wipe with paper, then wash with the bidet? Hobble over to the bidet with your rear end dripping to let it wash you?

People who have an extra living area in the bedroom are the ones who have to be told to stop doing things in their bedrooms that isn't sleeping. Bedrooms are for sleeping and fuckin. Oh well I'm just gonna crank out a few sets on the ol' bench press next to my bed while I watch a movie in here and file my taxes.This is why you people can't sleep.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Man, looking for houses on zillow

I'm the yellow troll thing watching you poo from the bushes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The cinderblock wall made me miss that the "master bathroom" tub has a headboard.

E: actually please I want a mcmansion hell on this house.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The cinderblock wall made me miss that the "master bathroom" tub has a headboard.

E: actually please I want a mcmansion hell on this house.

Mc Weird Aunt That Lives Upstate And Sells Crytals

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

NancyPants posted:

People who have an extra living area in the bedroom are the ones who have to be told to stop doing things in their bedrooms that isn't sleeping. Bedrooms are for sleeping and fuckin. Oh well I'm just gonna crank out a few sets on the ol' bench press next to my bed while I watch a movie in here and file my taxes.This is why you people can't sleep.

Strongly disagree here. We have a nice sitting area in our master outside the closet and it's pretty great for putting socks on and oral sex.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Okay, sure, the house is a little eccentric. But at least the schools are nearby. Close enough to walk, even.

Terrible, terrible schools.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, sure, the house is a little eccentric. But at least the schools are nearby. Close enough to walk, even.

Terrible, terrible schools.

Those school ratings are just modern redlining. Don't give them much weight.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Why is the bedroom so big?? You could fit a spacious bachelor into that space. I never understood the massive-bedroom house design fad. I knew a guy back in the day and his parents had a 70's house and the master bedroom was probably the biggest room in the house. It was a huge house, 3br, the master was probably something insane like 17x25, the 2 other bedrooms were at least 15x15, every bedroom had its own bathroom, plus another full 3-piece bathroom. Then they had a tiny tiny dining room, a tiny kitchen, and a small living room (which were each their own rooms, not open plan). The use of space was so weird.

My wife's parents' house is built in the 70's. The master suite is literally the entire back half of the upstairs. You walk in through double doors into what is essentially a living room. There is a sofa and a TV. To the right, you step up onto a raised area where the bed is. This is basically the size of a normal bedroom. To the left, you go through a hall with full closets on each side leading to the bathroom. The bathroom contains a walk-in shower, a tub, and a wraparound counter top with two sinks and a vanity. The three other bedrooms are more or less glorified closets.

My house, also built in the 70's, has a reasonable master bedroom. We have a queen bed in there and a couple of dressers, nothing fancy. The other bedrooms are pretty small by my standards - not much room for more than a twin bed and a dresser. We put a double bed in the one room for guests and it leaves very little room for walking.

My sister in law had built an addition on her previous house. The master bedroom became the largest room in the house. Easily 2x the size of the living room. The master bath also became absurdly huge. Why? She still had what was effectively a galley kitchen, and couldn't fit a full size table in the dining room.

She asked why we bought a house with such a small master bedroom. :suicide:

edit
There's a house in my neighborhood that sold recently, same model as my house. They annexed the one bedroom into the master bedroom. The entire space of the annexed bedroom is now their california king bed.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 16, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think there was this thing at some point in the 70s where parents had their own space, like, kids aren't allowed in there. So the rest of the house is for the kids, or maybe entertaining, but then you need a "retreat" where you can get some privacy, not just for sleeping and sex but just at any time of the day.

Alternative explanation: TV sets have to be big enough in every room to fit the scenes being filmed, plus the film crew and director etc. So when we watch TV we get the sense that bedrooms are huge, and that affects our society-wide sense of how big a bedroom "should be."

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

Those school ratings are just modern redlining. Don't give them much weight.

They don't give loans to black people? What?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I guess different people use rooms differently and view their purpose differently. For me a bedroom is a place I spend 99% unconscious. I never want to hang out there or do much anything other than sleep, so that room can be small and simple. I'll spend many hours in the living room and kitchen though, so those 2 rooms should be the priority. Bathroom is just for shits and showers, so as long as it's not cramped it's all good, but it's a purely functional room, not a place I'd want to spend any time beyond those functions.

But I could see people with kids they hate creating mega-bedrooms as sanctuaries with TV's and a desks and and almost a whole suite. Or people that spend hours "getting pretty" or love long bubble baths with a book wanting a big luxurious bathroom. But who the hell wants a tiny claustrophobic kitchen? People who only eat out?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My brother's house has a 1,000 sq ft master suite (the whole house is 5000). The real trouble is decorating that large a bedroom. You could fit 2 king beds in there and still have room for dressers, etc.

I will credit him for buying a very well-built house. Buying the builder'a own house tends to work out in that regard.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ohgodwhat posted:

They don't give loans to black people? What?
I am not endorsing this site but here is a good summary of why some people would say this: How the Greatschools rating system promotes segregation. Basically the school rating only measures how poor the students are, not how good the school is. Greatschools is the data source for the school ratings on real estate sites.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 16, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Alereon posted:

I am not endorsing this site but here is a good summary of why some people would say this: How the Greatschools rating system promotes segregation. Basically the school rating only measures how poor the students are, not how good the school is. Greatschools is the data source for the school ratings on real estate sites.

Thanks. That does sound terrible.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think a lot of evening chilling that's done in living rooms now used to be in bedrooms. Like after dinner, you would put the kids to bed, and then you would go to bed to read or watch Johnny Carson on the TV that was practically mandatory in nice bedrooms. Now the living room has the TV and consoles and media stuff, and if you chill it's there. I don't think I know anyone with a TV in their bedroom anymore -- if you want to watch something in bed, you just do it on a tablet/phone.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

are we just going to ignore the doorknob in the wall or

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anne Whateley posted:

I think a lot of evening chilling that's done in living rooms now used to be in bedrooms. Like after dinner, you would put the kids to bed, and then you would go to bed to read or watch Johnny Carson on the TV that was practically mandatory in nice bedrooms. Now the living room has the TV and consoles and media stuff, and if you chill it's there. I don't think I know anyone with a TV in their bedroom anymore -- if you want to watch something in bed, you just do it on a tablet/phone.

You're making me feel like an out of touch old man, but really with how cheap, big, and thin TVs are now why not have a TV in the bedroom too?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could, I just don't know anyone who does. Even if you do, a wall-mounted flatscreen takes up no space compared to the huge old armoires for CRTs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah that's a good point, back when TV's were fat and expensive people had them in every room, now that they're slim and cheap everyone I know has one TV tops in the living room. I just don't see bedroom TV's anymore. When I was a kid growing up we all had TV's sitting on our dressers, a TV in the den, and a TV in the basement, it was insane.

In fact a lot of people just don't seem to have TV's period, just a laptop they set up to watch their shows on. Sometimes it's lovely when you try to have people over to watch a movie and it's a laptop sitting on a stool in front of the sofa, or a laptop hooked up to a slightly larger PC monitor sitting on a stool.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah that's a good point, back when TV's were fat and expensive people had them in every room, now that they're slim and cheap everyone I know has one TV tops in the living room. I just don't see bedroom TV's anymore. When I was a kid growing up we all had TV's sitting on our dressers, a TV in the den, and a TV in the basement, it was insane.

In fact a lot of people just don't seem to have TV's period, just a laptop they set up to watch their shows on. Sometimes it's lovely when you try to have people over to watch a movie and it's a laptop sitting on a stool in front of the sofa, or a laptop hooked up to a slightly larger PC monitor sitting on a stool.

I have a theory. It's because you're not a kid anymore.

When we were kids, the different rooms were so you could go play Nintendo while your parents watched the news. Or so they could watch TV after you went to bed.

Now that we're all grown up, we don't need a lot of TVs

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Baronjutter posted:

Honestly it's because phones, tablets, and laptops replaced the TV as the standard bedroom distraction device.

It wouldn't surprise me if smaller cheap flatscreen TV sales went on the decline in direct correlation with the rise of smartphone sales; those were the TV's you had in the bedroom or kitchen a few years back. Now is way easier to just have the personal electronic around with the user to provide customized entertainment, instead of each room needing it's own setup to get a more limited suite of functions.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 16, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Miiiiiiight be a water hookup knob? But, like, 4 feet off of the ground?

I got these earlier as a joke while looking for a new rental house, but the more I look the more I find. Holy poo poo.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

moist turtleneck posted:

Think it's a towel knob for the bidet. Avoid drip dry.

Only house I lived in with a bidet was in Cannes. Our cats would sleep in it.

The idea of a bidet - at least, back in the '70s when I lived there & was so told - was that the French do/did not shower every day. They would use the bidet & washcloths & such, and take a shower/bath once or twice a week.

Locals I knew thought Americans had a cleanliness fetish.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Slugworth posted:

I'm the yellow troll thing watching you poo from the bushes.

Look closer - it's a lion.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm pretty happy that I missed the era of having children that need giant tube TVs and then a full desktop computer with CRT and when I have kids they'll just care about their phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gromit posted:

Look closer - it's a lion.

Still not comfortable with it hiding in the bushes watching me poo.