Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Knight posted:

Somewhat related, I know Oathkeepers are nutty but I didn't realize how severe

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/820785016586125312
The article is a repost from Natural News (what strange bedfellows). Imagine, leftists occupying federal buildings!

The ironic part is that The Purge: Election Day is about a left-wing politician trying to get elected on an anti-Purge platform and the crazy, corrupt government (which are using the Purge to get rid of undesirables in society) tries to use that year's Purge to cover up her assassination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

The ironic part is that The Purge: Election Day is about a left-wing politician trying to get elected on an anti-Purge platform and the crazy, corrupt government (which are using the Purge to get rid of undesirables in society) tries to use that year's Purge to cover up her assassination.

I've heard that one is actually pretty good but meh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Both sequels are better by virtue of actually doing something with the premise instead of using it to frame a boilerplate home invasion thriller, but not that great. If you're in the mood for a tense, bloody thriller I recommend Green Room.

The Bundies are still facing trial for the Nevada shenanigans, right? I can still hope for them to go to jail?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nonsense posted:

I have hope again

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I've heard that one is actually pretty good but meh.

The sequels are dope because they lean into it really hard and there's just murder gangs roaming the street and a box truck where the back door rolls up and there's a dude with a Gatling gun and poor people selling themselves to the rich to get money for their families

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Knight posted:

The article is a repost from Natural News (what strange bedfellows). Imagine, leftists occupying federal buildings!

Once again, the imaginary world of right wing idiots is much better than our real one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Knight posted:

I wonder if these very credible rumors are at all related to this? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...4b043ad97e516f7

quote:

WASHINGTON ― A left-wing political group released a new video Monday of a counter-sting that has uncovered evidence of right-wing activists trying to sow chaos at Donald Trump’s inaugural ceremony, an effort to portray critics of Trump who march against him as violent fringe figures.

The counter-sting, carried out by The Undercurrent and Americans Take Action, a project of a previous target of provocateur James O’Keefe, managed to surreptitiously record elements of O’Keefe’s network offering huge sums of money to progressive activists if they would disrupt the ceremony and “put a stop to the inauguration” and the related proceedings to such a degree that donors to the clandestine effort would “turn on a TV and maybe not even see Trump.” To have riots blot out coverage of Trump, the donor offered “unlimited resources,” including to shut down bridges into D.C.

The Undercurrent, led by executive producer Lauren Windsor, is sponsored by American Family Voices, which was among a constellation of groups infiltrated by O’Keefe’s Project Veritas during the presidential campaign, an effort to link Democrats with voter fraud.

Right wing nutjobs trying to hire left wing nutjobs to cause chaos and riots on inauguration day. For reasons. Once you're down that rabbit hole it would make sense to then leak those chaos plans to other right wing groups.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wish I got my left wing revolution memo.

This is bullshit man.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Wasabi the J posted:

Wish I got my left wing revolution memo.

This is bullshit man.
It says they're going to burn down the Reichstag capitol.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm not a fancy big city lawyer but all the poo poo James O'Keefe tries seems like it should have landed his rear end in jail a long time ago

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

andrew smash posted:

I'm not a fancy big city lawyer but all the poo poo James O'Keefe tries seems like it should have landed his rear end in jail a long time ago

Remember when he got busted trying to wiretap a sitting congresswoman? How the gently caress did a federal felony turn into boys will be boys?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Knight posted:

Conservatives started LARPing at some point, and they really need to pause their campaign and take a beat.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Krinkle posted:

Remember when he got busted trying to wiretap a sitting congresswoman? How the gently caress did a federal felony turn into boys will be boys?

it happened in the south

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That was the episode that ended with a cliffhanger of their custom Charger in mid air teasing the uncertainty of if they'd clear the gulch, right?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Krinkle posted:

plea bargain

he pleaded guilty in exchange for the charges being knocked down to a misdemeanor

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Main Paineframe posted:

plea bargain

he pleaded guilty in exchange for the charges being knocked down to a misdemeanor

It just seems odd for a prosecutor to pass up the opportunity to skullfuck that little poo poo, but hey look what thread i'm posting in - maybe they had the right idea

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Knight posted:

I can quote an Adam Sandler movie about how this has made me dumber.

And that terrifies me.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

andrew smash posted:

He's just a good ole boy,
never meanin no harm.
Gets all the vids you never saw, never in trouble with the law
Since the day he was born.
Doctorin' the tapes,
On a boat he rapes.
Someday the taser might get 'em but the law never will.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Krinkle posted:

it was actually a senator and he got away with it lmao haha

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

imagine if a black dude tried to do that to a republican senator

he'd get murdered by the cops so fast his entire bloodline would cease to exist, just straight up causal paradox

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

andrew smash posted:

It just seems odd for a prosecutor to pass up the opportunity to skullfuck that little poo poo, but hey look what thread i'm posting in - maybe they had the right idea

i don't think prosecutors are all that gung-ho to go after a guy that a bunch of congressmen and wealthy donors really like just because he spied on a democrat

plea deal is way easier

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Knight posted:

Nothing surprising by this. The Oathkeepers would be the first to volunteer for service if Trump ordered all muslims be rounded up and put in to camps. During the Ferguson protests there was the Oathkeeper who wasn't a full on white supremacist that wanted to arm protesters and was shocked, shocked, that the right wing old white conservative Oathkeeper leadership didn't want to arm black people.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder if these very credible rumors are at all related to this? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...4b043ad97e516f7

Right wing nutjobs trying to hire left wing nutjobs to cause chaos and riots on inauguration day. For reasons. Once you're down that rabbit hole it would make sense to then leak those chaos plans to other right wing groups.

See also: Pro-life groups crying about the women's rights march.

Krinkle posted:

One of his co-conspirators from that incident is the son of a U.S. Attorney, for starters. Everyone involved is white and from upper-middle class or wealthier backgrounds too. If it had been minorities trying to bug a Republican senator they'd maybe be in prison but odds are they'd have been shot by the cops and immediately demonized as radical left wing terrorists by the MSM.

gently caress this country so much.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

See also: Pro-life groups crying about the women's rights march.

Have any more info on this? While it certain doesn't surprise me I haven't actually anything about this.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Someone in the North Dakota state House introduced a law that would make it legal for drivers to run over protesters obstructing traffic

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Someone in the North Dakota state House introduced a law that would make it legal for drivers to run over protesters obstructing traffic

Brb welding some spikes on my car and then going to some KKK or Westboro Church protests.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FlyingKipper posted:

Brb welding some spikes on my car and then going to some KKK or Westboro Church protests.

I’m considering those flailing chains that some mine sweepers feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf6CsvAffHo

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FlyingKipper posted:

You'll be ahead of the curve for post-Trumpian America.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

FlyingKipper posted:

Whoa there, they don't mean those protesters.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Krinkle posted:

lol america

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Krinkle posted:

His parents are obscenely wealthy and It's Okay If You're a Republican.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Attorney For Oregon Standoff Leader Faces New Charges In Courthouse Scuffle

quote:

The attorney for the leader of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupation is facing three charges in connection with a dramatic incident that played out as his client was acquitted last fall.
Mumford previously faced charges of failing to comply with the lawful direction of federal police officers and impeding the performance of official duties. He pleaded not guilty to those charges last week, but the special prosecutor from Washington, Timothy Ohms, has replaced the charges.

The new charges that Mumford faces include creating disturbances by impeding or disrupting the performance of official duties, failure to comply with signs of a prohibitory, regulatory and directory nature, and failure to comply with the lawful direction of a federal police officer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Based on every single news report of the incident, I am surprised the US attorney is proceeding and smacks of butthurtism.
Pretty much every report has the judge ordering the marshalls to step back before they tackled him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

nm posted:

Based on every single news report of the incident, I am surprised the US attorney is proceeding and smacks of butthurtism.
Pretty much every report has the judge ordering the marshalls to step back before they tackled him.

Pretty much every report on the incident only includes statements from the defense attorney or supporters of the defendants.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Pretty much every report on the incident only includes statements from the defense attorney or supporters of the defendants.
No, they are reports from the journalists in the court room.
Also the fact that the court did not hold him in contempt is really telling to me, particularly as that judge was looking pretty close to doing that on several days.

Also, anyone who has read a police report is laughing at the stupid one filed in this case. It is a "please don't sue me" police report.

I guess I should be happy a rich white lawyer in court is being treated like a poor black or hispanic man, but I'd prefer the opposite. Maybe this will get the radical right to care about police excessive force when it happens for real (unlike lavoy, which was justified).

Just because you disagree with the result (I do) doesn't mean that we should being going after the lawyer and enjoying it.

Edit: not going to get in how you think the witness accounts are no calid because they come from defense attorneys (some of whom were appointed and reasonably well respected in portland).

nm has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Jan 23, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How badly can the marshalls be smacked down in the hearings coming up? Judgement as a matter of law that only a judge can issue orders in her courtroom?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

It will probably have to go to trial unless dismissed by the prosecution. It is mostly fact dependent because it depends on a bunch of factors.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
trump should pardon them all including the lawyer

its so loving transparent that the federales got upset at the verdict and wanted to physically punish the guy who outssmarted the gently caress out of them

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I bet those marshals didn't even hear the judge tell them to bugger off. Humans can only pay attention to so many things at a time, and the judge wasn't a potential threat. Though trying to justify momentary tunnel vision later as a good and right choice is dumb.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

trump should pardon them all including the lawyer

its so loving transparent that the federales got upset at the verdict and wanted to physically punish the guy who outssmarted the gently caress out of them

A pardon is an inherent agreement that you did something wrong. (Seriously, there is a case where a dude rejected a pardon for that reason and won because the court said he had a right to clear his name.)

I don't think it is a conscious retaliation but people do things unconsciously. In any event, it has the appearance of pettiness which hurts the image of the DOJ, which is not worth for some minor, weak charges that seem to be based on some cop who didn't realize a lawyer in the courtroom is not an enemy combatant in loving fallujah.

Edit: fun fact, the guy who established the right to reject a pardon was executed for the crime he was pardoned for. whooops.

nm has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"appearance of pettiness"

they tazed a lawyer in a courtroom for winning thats straight up police state cruel and usual punishment and torture

this is what obama built!!!!! when he wasn't loving golfing that is