Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Waltzes are super easy with Celes. My group had two of em, so that plus a Bart's meant the whole fight was just tornado strike after tornado strike. I also brought along deployment tactics, but that only saw a few minor reflects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The first Ultimate isn't too bad, until the last of the three bosses. Who thought that AoE counter paralyze would be a good idea? I got lucky enough to have Wrathcat and her Medica II, not have her paralyzed, and clear the entire team of paralyze. But sheesh, that was not a well designed fight.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gently caress you Zidane. Won on the first try, but that was an incredibly tedious fight

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Protip: Don't use any fire/ice/lightning on Black Waltz 2 unless you like taking an aoe -ara in that element every turn

One of my party members thought it would be cute to spam Krile's BSB command 2 for the slow

We died

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Well that was ugly.

Couldn't ever seem to get healed back up after she uses her Stock break or climhazzard or whichever one it is, so her next attack inevitably drops half my team. Oh well, at least she melted soon after.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

I'd really like to thank the hydras in the 250 torment for having something like 40,000+ HP and for them showing up four times in a row for Onion Knight to make finger guns at them while Exdeath flexed and told them all to 'feel the void' with Yashtola doing her best Cid Raines impression.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

I pushed the Celes button and the Apoc was pretty easy with pubbies :v:

Yeah I have the Celes SSB which is runic + damage, and for back row I have either Quistis BSB, Tyro Wall+BSB or Vanille BSB so I think this would be a good one for me to host when I try it out

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Torment 250 mastered, Raines/Alph/OK are comical damage.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Attestant posted:

The first Ultimate isn't too bad, until the last of the three bosses. Who thought that AoE counter paralyze would be a good idea? I got lucky enough to have Wrathcat and her Medica II, not have her paralyzed, and clear the entire team of paralyze. But sheesh, that was not a well designed fight.

Seriously, I took Meo Twister as my RW which one shot both the previous bosses. So I'm at the last boss, everyone is full, no problem right? Oh everyone is paralysed? And now they're dead. What the actual gently caress.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Zidane took a few tries, between trying to manage my mitigation and set-up and dealing with constantly being slowed, but this was the first time I ever used Gaia Cross and it was worth it. I did get full medals when I finally beat him, it was just a matter of actually getting around to doing the damage. Ah well. Now, I need to squeeze in some time to figure out the Torment dungeon, hopefully...

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
For those having problems with Shield Dragon, remember that he's weak to Ice. Given the much larger HP pool and how lethal he is compared to the other two (Full Break and Attack Breakdown will make Whirlwind manageable), you may find it easier to use a Sub-Zero Blast RW to two-shot that instead. Soften him up with Full Break and Attack Breakdown, then let Squall finish him off via RW.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Attestant posted:

Duh, it's because You're Not Alone(in being paralyzed(and restarting the app))!

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Yeah whoever decided spammable AoE paralyze was a good idea needs to go sit in the corner. That was real loving obnoxious.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
So wait, what's the deal with Torment dungeons returning? I'd been putting it off and didn't realize it was leaving today, but it says it'll come back in the future...? I know the V one is getting replaced by the IX one today.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I had some store credit sitting around from gamestop trades so I got a $10 Google Play card for like 45 cents for a triple pull.

Hello Eiko BSB!

I'm still drowning in white mage relics but I can't be upset at one of the best white mage bursts even if Eiko is made of jello.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Varance posted:

Reminder to newer players: Tyro's Selection 3 is coming soon, likely during the next event (it toward the end of the Seymour event on the JP side). Assuming the relics don't change radically, here's what's on the banner:

BSB: Celes (Maria's Song) Area Medium ATK/MAG Up + Enlight + Burst Mode (Single Fire/Holy and Ice/Holy attacks) [Weapon improves holy damage]
BSB: Tidus (Abe's All-Star) 5x Area Water Phys + Enwater + Burst Mode (Single + Area Water attacks)
BSB: Lightning (Requiem of the Goddess) 7x Single Target Non-Ele Phys hits + Burst Mode (Single/Area Non-Ele Phy attacks that have a chance to stun)
SSB: Ramza (Shout) Area Large ATK up + Haste
SSB: Krile (Sheepsong) Area Large MAG up + Haste [Weapon improves fire damage]
SSB: Rosa (Divine Heal) Area Curaja + Magic Blink
SSB: Fran (Mist Overload) 7x Single Non-Ele Phys + Full Breakdown
SB: Tyro (Sentinel's Grimoire) Area Wall
SB: Basch (Apocalypse Shield) Area Medium ATK/DEF up [Armor improves holy damage]

Each pull is G5 (at least one of the above or an off-banner 5* is guaranteed) also gives you a guaranteed choice of an Enelement SB relic for the following characters:

SB: Sephiroth (Nibelheim Nightmare) 4x Area Fire Ranged + Enfire
SB: Squall (Mystic Flurry) 5x Area Ice Ranged + Enblizzard
SB: Desch (Bolt of the Ancients) 4x Area Lightning Ranged + Enthunder
SB: Lightning (Stormborn) Enthunder (don't pick this, that's all it does)
SB: Rinoa (The Brothers) 3x Area Earth Magic + Enstone
SB: Bartz (Choco Romp) 5x Area Wind Phys + Enaero [Armor improves wind damage]
SB: Cloud (Climhazzard) 7x Single Wind Phys + Enaero
SB: Yuna (Farplane Wind) 3x Area Holy Magic + Enlight
SB: Exdeath (Dark Earth Shaker) 3x Area Dark Magic + Endark
SB: Kuja (Dread of Death) 4x Area Dark Magic + Endark
SB: Gabranth (Enrage) 6x Single Dark Phys + Endark [Armor improves defence against the dark arts]

I highly recommend that new players without a large relic stash spend their mythril on the Summon Nightmare and Tyro Select 3 banners. Do a 50 pull if possible for the guaranteed 5* relic.

Tempted to pull on this for Razzmatazz despite having a few dupes in the SSB/SB list.

This banner lets you choose the free bonus SB later on if you prefer right? So you could wait and see if you pick up an Imperil later on before committing to a particular Enelement?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yup, you don't have to make a freebie selection immediately.

In fact with the very first beginner banner a lot of people intentionally didn't because it picked a random relic for you once the banner expired just to see what they'd get.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm sure this has been brought up in the thread but it bears repeating: Unless your FFX synergy is disgusting you should probably wait until the next FFX event starts before taking a pass at the new torment dungeon, because the new event brings the 5* Water Spellblade and also a new 5* healing spell that is Curaja + Esuna on one skill. Both of these are very strong for the boss, because it is weak to water and also because it can petrify you if it feels like being a dick . You can't really afford to waste a slot on Esuna in a torment dungeon, and resetting on a 620k HP boss after clearing six trash waves seems like a less than ideal strategy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Also worth noting, however, that I'm pretty sure Petrify removes buffs. It might as well be instant death, at that point.

I really wish there were some middleground between "wow these U++ fights were surprisingly easy" and "I Can't Beat AirmanTorment" where I felt challenged but in a way where it felt I had more options than "luck into a native Wall". I didn't expect Zidane to get utterly shut down by Tauntaliate after the initial Steal spamming, but here we are.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So I pulled Steiner's Imperial Fire armor, and I have Laguna's Imperil Ice.

Is there anything to an Imperil setup other than literally loading your party with a bunch of X element abilities and jamming away? I do have OK's burst and some other stackable Faithgas, as well as Terra's fire OSB (but no other bursts for her), so presumably I could get at least a few big 99ks with full setup.

The only big Ice attack I have is whatever Squall's ice coat thing is, the five hit one I think.

As for BSBs, the sole fire attack there is from Squall's BSB with Renzokuken Fire, which is pretty meh otherwise.

How do vulns work as far as soul break gauge gain? Is it better than running say, Lifesiphon on a physical team? Would I be gaining gauge faster spamming FiraX and then banging out bursts of whatever type for damage?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's not as much as Lifesiphon, but you're doing more damage so in general it's worth the tradeoff.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

victrix posted:

So I pulled Steiner's Imperial Fire armor, and I have Laguna's Imperil Ice.

Is there anything to an Imperil setup other than literally loading your party with a bunch of X element abilities and jamming away? I do have OK's burst and some other stackable Faithgas, as well as Terra's fire OSB (but no other bursts for her), so presumably I could get at least a few big 99ks with full setup.

The only big Ice attack I have is whatever Squall's ice coat thing is, the five hit one I think.

As for BSBs, the sole fire attack there is from Squall's BSB with Renzokuken Fire, which is pretty meh otherwise.

How do vulns work as far as soul break gauge gain? Is it better than running say, Lifesiphon on a physical team? Would I be gaining gauge faster spamming FiraX and then banging out bursts of whatever type for damage?

Hitting vulnerability is +50% SB gauge gain. Unless you're damage capping Lifesiphon and the elemental weakness skill is single hit (say Firaga strike, or whatever), it's almost always better to hit the weakness.

And yeah, using an imperil effectively is just a matter of jamming your team full of abilities that hit that element. Ideally with corresponding En-Element skills. For example, I have a wind squad that is Faris's imperil wind SSB, and then Luneth and Alphanerd's BSB's. I round it out with a healer and Onion Kid for haste and ATK/MAG buffing.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 16, 2017

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
So, apparently I'm one of the lucky few who had zero problems with the bonus battles.

U: Celes w/ Indo Blade and ripping out Snowspell Strikes.
U+ CM: Cid Raines RW basically trivialized this. I had some of my dudes hit the floor, but I somehow made it through without even needing to pop Eiko's BSB.
U++: Greg's BSB trivialized this as well. That bought enough time for Zell to build up his BSB, self-boost, and then wreck Zidane with massive Lifebanes. One even connected for 5x8000 (all crit procs). Mitigation wasn't a problem for me, RW Wall and Agrias' Cleansing Strike for that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

paperwind posted:

So, apparently I'm one of the lucky few who had zero problems with the bonus battles.

U: Celes w/ Indo Blade and ripping out Snowspell Strikes.
U+ CM: Cid Raines RW basically trivialized this. I had some of my dudes hit the floor, but I somehow made it through without even needing to pop Eiko's BSB.
U++: Greg's BSB trivialized this as well. That bought enough time for Zell to build up his BSB, self-boost, and then wreck Zidane with massive Lifebanes. One even connected for 5x8000 (all crit procs). Mitigation wasn't a problem for me, RW Wall and Agrias' Cleansing Strike for that.

Raines BSB as a RW basically makes the U+ CM... I don't want to quite say "free" since you have to survive long enough to get it going, but...

Well, suffice to say that between Kuja and Garnet both spamming Command 1, Beatrix got pushed through all three of her thresholds before she could resolve any of them, meaning I only ever saw a single Climhazzard. :getin: Never doubt the power of 39996 damage a turn, instant-cast.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I attempted the Torment 250 again because it's going away(and coming back later but still going away) and god, the drat midgets are kicking my rear end.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
why does zidanes shift break do 8k damage to my lvl 80 vanille when i hvae protectga and double breaks up?
All the reddit posts are saying mage meta/this isn't as hard as other recent battles, I cant get past his scripted 70% poo poo without 3-4 ppl being globaled...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MannersPlease posted:

why does zidanes shift break do 8k damage to my lvl 80 vanille when i hvae protectga and double breaks up?
All the reddit posts are saying mage meta/this isn't as hard as other recent battles, I cant get past his scripted 70% poo poo without 3-4 ppl being globaled...

Because Steal gives him +40% ATK/DEF. In order to cancel it out, you want/need an ATK/DEF debuff - Mug Bloodlust, Auron's SSB, Dorgann's generic SB, etc. Otherwise, it stacks (and in turn makes all of your other debuffs far less effective). It also counts as a -40% ATK/DEF debuff on whatever character he uses it on, so whoever he hits with Steal is gonna be taking a lot more damage.

Also, Shift Break is long-ranged.

tl;dr: Steal is hot bullshit, if you have Mug Bloodlust then now's the time to use it.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Man, after several events of nothing from 100 gems I get two 5*s back to back from this 9 event. Kuja's EnDark gloves from banner 1, and now Garnet's MAG/DEF buff + 3000 HP stock SSB from banner 2.

Ultimate went down with 0 issues. That counter AOE physical with paralysis seemed potentially problematic, but it was blown apart before it could paralyze the entire team.

Ultimate+ CM team was Vivi (BSB)/Kuja (EnDark SB)/Quina (shared medica from the FF7 Candle Rod)/Garnet (SSB2)/Eiko (SSB), using Cid Raines BSB as my RW and with everyone in full 5* RS equipment outside of Quina (said Candle Rod and a Survival Vest++ instead). I was expecting horrible things to happen regarding Beatrix's low HP stuff, but she died before even using Climhazzard once.

I took her from 80% HP to dead without her getting another turn. God that's disgusting.

Ultimate++ team:

Alphinaud (LV80) | Impetuous Youth | Flame Staff+ (5*+ RS)/Royal Gown (5* RS)/Omega Insignia | Chain Firaga R3/Tiamat R3 (BSB: Aerial Blast)
Papalymo (LV94) | Mako Might | Oak Staff (5* RS)/Kuja's Gloves (5* RS)/Pendant | Chain Blizzaga R2/Chain Thundaga R2 (SSB: Ley Lines)
Gilgamesh (LV80) | Zeal | The Ogre (5* RS)/Tin Armor (5* RS)/Zidane's Earring (5* RS) | Gaia's Cross R2/Retaliate R5 (BSB: Gilgamesh Morphing Time)
Tyro (LV99) | Dr. Mog's Teachings | Fairy Flute+ (5*+ RS)/Survival Vest++ (4*++ RS)/Vossler's Gauntlet | Power Breakdown R4/Full Break R2 (SBs: Sentinel's Grimoire, Keeper's Tome)
Penelo (LV91) | Knight's Charge | Storm Staff (5* RS)/Adamant Vest (5* RS)/Mog Amulet | Curaja R4/Protectga R1 (BSB: Evanescence)

RW: Vessel of Fate

Zidane's lovely defenses for a U++ boss combined with Alphinaud avoiding being slowed even once meant that he was taking 6k+ a hit from Swiftspell even at the end of the fight, and with almost everything truly horrid he could do shut down by Taunt+Retaliate, no one got interrupted or confused once.

The MO Apocalypse fight was taken apart via Celes sucking up all the single target magic and Alphinaud nuking everything with 3-hit Tiamat, nothing much.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Goddammit! We had a perfect Bart run going and then the leader lost connection. We were, like, three attacks away from the win, all buffs and debuffs were up and everything. Freaking multiplayer.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Man. Just about a month of actually paying attention to this thread, and I've gone from struggling through 90-100 content to one-shotting 160s for MC3 lodes, and even taking down an Apoc fight (just kidding, pressed the Celes button).

Threw an 11-pull at the IX-2 banner, in hopes of getting more Fire synergy for my Imperil team. Got Freya BSB, Freya SSB, and a Golden ticketHairpin. Not fire, but useful. Guess I know which Dragoon I'm going with. Between these and my 6* Needle Fork, I've got IX Spears for DAYS.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Because Steal gives him +40% ATK/DEF. In order to cancel it out, you want/need an ATK/DEF debuff - Mug Bloodlust, Auron's SSB, Dorgann's generic SB, etc. Otherwise, it stacks (and in turn makes all of your other debuffs far less effective). It also counts as a -40% ATK/DEF debuff on whatever character he uses it on, so whoever he hits with Steal is gonna be taking a lot more damage.

Also, Shift Break is long-ranged.

tl;dr: Steal is hot bullshit, if you have Mug Bloodlust then now's the time to use it.

I dont have that random ability nor anyway to get it apparently

Yeah ive been super lucky with my last 3 draws and been able to clear everything but the torment dungeons until this point, this zidane fight has actually been incredibly unfun. Even the aoe paralyze fight was doable for me, I had enough people with dps that I could reasonably race to the end and it was at least somewhat exciting...this was first time this game made me sad for bothering to play it.

I've done 8 s/r now just to get ONE fight where I can vanille bsb around 50% for reasonable effectiveness, only to die to a mug and 2 aoe attacks. I have protectga and wall up. I have RW OK trying to keep haste up reasonably well, and doing dps for one of my mage. I have raines natural bsb doing dps as well. I have 100% uptime on taunt up, doing lots of retailate dps and mitigation. I have no loving idea what to do to finish this. I try to imagine the fight where his first 3-4 aoes after 50% hp dont kill me but the one time I got him to 30% he was still doing that poo poo.

I swear this guy has 80% chance to use MUG on my healer. It's actually so unfun because the fact that this whole battle is 'difficult' because you cant ever do anything makes it such a waste of time to even try. All the other 160s or harder I could think "maybe if I do this other thing and use a different RW maybe it will work". I can't see a world where I drop tauntilate, I cant drop wall, Ive tried swapping dps/hastega/wall/medica from mogs/mako duty to RW duty, I've tried having tyro doubleduty with wall + RW greg bsb and using more dps...

I have no synergy other than tin armor and hairpin, but I was getting the impression you don't need massive synergy to clear ult++, maybe I was wrong.

:argh:

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 17, 2017

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

HPanda posted:

Goddammit! We had a perfect Bart run going and then the leader lost connection. We were, like, three attacks away from the win, all buffs and debuffs were up and everything. Freaking multiplayer.

Ok, holy poo poo. Just mastered it with a group that didn't have Wall. I have no idea how we pulled that one off, but pretty sure the guts buff was in play.

I brought in a Celes (Indomitable Blade) and Vaan with his BSB, but even then, someone else also brought along the same Vaan. By all rights, that one should not have worked.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Rustled up just enough mythril in time for a last ditch pull on XIII banner 2.

Congratulations Raines, we're going on a visit to the chicken farm.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Celes makes Waltzes so easy that my pubbie group just Mastered Apoc Waltzes with our 4th player actively spending the entire fight attacking our own guys and healing the enemies. First time I've encountered someone actively trying to troll an MP group in this game.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kaninrail posted:

Celes makes Waltzes so easy that my pubbie group just Mastered Apoc Waltzes with our 4th player actively spending the entire fight attacking our own guys and healing the enemies. First time I've encountered someone actively trying to troll an MP group in this game.

When the 'beta' was running with diff 40 fights I would run Tidus with a salve and Cry and spam the I'll heal sticker, then heal the boss and spam HELLLPPPP until the boss was near death, then finish it with an OSB cast.

I'd feel bad about doing that in content where it was even remotely possible to lose, but it sure is fun on easy stuff.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Man, this ultimate fight is pretty easy, accidentally killed the 2nd dragon in less than a turn due to SB spike but I'll clear with no medals lost for actions/damage/ko so whatever...

*Shell dragon paralyzes 3 people, immediately counters and paralyzes 4 people, mitigations drop and shell dragon murders half the party with 3k damage aoe*

...oh, ok time to reset the app.

e: Attempt #2 went a bit better since I just said gently caress it and SB nuked Shell Dragon from orbit instead of being dumb and wasting them on the 2nd fight.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 17, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Cid Mission for this Torment seems impossible without the water relics. I even have the Chaos Rod and there's just no hope he creams me well before I've even gotten him to half health. Think this will be the first Cid Mission I fail.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 17, 2017

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Hogama posted:

Rustled up just enough mythril in time for a last ditch pull on XIII banner 2.

Congratulations Raines, we're going on a visit to the chicken farm.

UGH, I like hope's BSB but for crying out loud I got a double in the same draw of the same weapon.

Still that 150% exp is sweet.

Congrats yo.

If only someone else cared to say the same to me ehh? EHHHH!?

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

Cid Mission for this Torment seems impossible without the water relics. I even have the Chaos Rod and there's just no hope he creams me well before I've even gotten him to half health. Think this will be the first Cid Mission I fail.

Conversely, with Tidus's OSB but no FFX medica, the Cid's Mission was out of reach for me. I just couldn't keep up the healing with a shared SB medica. If you do manage to land his BSB or OSB, the dps race becomes a lot more bearable though. Energy Rain was doing ~66k with my A team set up and pretty much carried me through the 200 dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Quite the jerk, and he was doing a lot of damage at the end there. I planned to have Penelo contribute to DPS with her BSB, but ended up needing her to heal or haste somebody every turn.

Since I couldn't seem to pull off the V torment CM, I ended up not finishing it at all. I think this is the first content I haven't completed when it was first released (outside of Parade Float, but we don't talk about that). Oh well, another day.

• Locked thread