Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Skwirl posted:

One of us definitely needs to re-watch Infernal Affairs,because I'm pretty god damned it doesn't and the ending is the Matt Damon character gets away Scott free with a vague idea he'll be an honest cop from now on.

I just watched it last week: The above is correct. Also the alternate ending where he gets arrested is like thirty seconds long and hilariously perfunctory, because it was mandated by the government to avoid implying extant police corruption.

The ending 'changes' at 30 seconds or so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWT04Wkwtb4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Flight has some weird tonal issues. It's also kind of disjointed at times. The love interest or whatever only shows up for part of the film to preach about AA and then goes away. Then there's John Goodman as comic relief which, while good, doesn't seem to fit the tone that well. It's an alright movie but it's kinda strange.
My viewing of Flight got ruined by a couple of no-poo poo alcoholics who talked through the entire movie and left several times to get more drinks, and didn't recognize the irony. They had a kid with them at the start, but stashed him somewhere half an hour in.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Simplex posted:

I tend to think Mark Wahlberg is a a younger William H. Macy who doesn't know he's William H. Macy. He's the least believable serious x in any role, and should do nothing but dark comedies and Coen Brothers movies.

dark comedies, like The Happening.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Boogie Nights and The Happening are Exhibit A and Exhibit B in my hypothesis. Outside of the age difference making things real weird nothing else would be lost by switching Macy and Wahlberg's roles in that movie. If you put William H. Macy in The Happening instead of Mark Wahlberg, I think everybody would assume that the character is supposed to be a funny idiot, and the movie as a whole would be better received. Instead he tries so hard and fails to perform serious roles in so many other movies, that it seems like more of the same in The Happening.

Exhibit C is Pain and Gain, which is a perfectly acceptable Mark Wahlberg performance.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I've always loved that he gives the exact same performance in The Happening as he does in I Heart Huckabees.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Isn't The Happening a comedy?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Speaking of The Happing: Split, the new M. Night movie, seems to be getting a bunch of decent reviews. A sign of the end times or is the rest of January really just that bad?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 16, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

Isn't The Happening a comedy?

Not on purpose

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Speaking of The Happing: Split, the new M. Night movie, seems to be getting a bunch of decent reviews. A sign of the end times or is the rest of January really just that bad?

I heard it's pretty good. I've always believed Shyamalan had a few more good movies (and maybe even great) in him. Sixth Sense, Signs, Unbreakable, The Village is a hell of a streak. Devil, The Visit & Split all look to be doing well, particularly when considering their small-ish budgets.

The smart way to watch his movies is to wait until after the reviews, basically. I haven't seen The Lady In The Water, Airbender or After Earth.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oh the Village is good now?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I liked it. Good atmosphere, interesting visuals, fairly good performances. The 'twist' was ruined instantly, but it's a good watch outside of that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sixth sense and unbreakable are far above signs and the village. i wouldn't be surprised if he had another good movie in him.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I totally buy into that 'fan-theory' (ugh) about the visitors in Signs, makes it really interesting on a rewatch. I'm fairly sure it's the intended meaning of the story, it's just framed as an alien invasion story.

I also love The Happening, but in a very different, but equal way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FishBulb posted:

Oh the Village is good now?

Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs were good but they were followed by The Village, Lady in the Water, The Happening, The Last Airbender and After Earth.

M Night has one of the worst filmographies I've ever seen.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Happening straight up rules and I'm very pumped to see The Visit and Lady In The Water on HBO the next couple of weeks cause those are his only movies I haven't seen. Everything but Airbender is good, and cool

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs were good but they were followed by The Village, Lady in the Water, The Happening, The Last Airbender and After Earth.

M Night has one of the worst filmographies I've ever seen.

He made a movie before Sixth Sense.

It belongs on the second group

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Happening is hilarious because of how poor it is. It wouldn't have been funny if M Night was a good director. The Last Airbender and Lady in the Water are two of the worst films I've ever seen.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Irony is a dead scene. You gotta be kidding me if you say the plant suicide movie with a wind chase scene is being serious, or that such a film could be "not funny" under any circumstances.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

plan 9 from outer space wasn't supposed to be a comedy.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

well why not posted:

I totally buy into that 'fan-theory' (ugh) about the visitors in Signs, makes it really interesting on a rewatch. I'm fairly sure it's the intended meaning of the story, it's just framed as an alien invasion story.

Which fan theory are we talking about here?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I wouldn't mind a foreign remake of Lady in the Water. I think there are filmmakers in other countries would could do wonders with such a premise.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Lady in the Water is just laughably bad, but it did have a fantastic score.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dexie posted:

Not aliens, but demons.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dexie posted:

The aliens are demons, and the water that hurts them is specifically Holy Water (since Gibson's character is a priest).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DeimosRising posted:

Irony is a dead scene. You gotta be kidding me if you say the plant suicide movie with a wind chase scene is being serious, or that such a film could be "not funny" under any circumstances.

He doesn't become a better director just because one movie was pretty funny. The majority of his films are dogshit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I enjoyed his breakout stuff and most of his bad stuff is memorable. A bad movie should really go all out.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Visit was pretty good and pretty funny. I'll probably check out Split for McAvoy.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The MSJ posted:

Not aliens, but demons.

What about the spaceship then

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Groovelord Neato posted:

plan 9 from outer space wasn't supposed to be a comedy.

What evidence is there to support this?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The MSJ posted:

Not aliens, but demons.

Robot Style posted:

The aliens are demons, and the water that hurts them is specifically Holy Water (since Gibson's character is a priest).

Why would demons be leaving crop circles?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Dexie posted:

Why would demons be leaving crop circles?

The same reason as the C.I.A./hoaxers - to distract people from the real menace.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What about the spaceship then

As I looked, behold, a whirl-
wind was coming from the north,
a great cloud with fire flashing
forth continually and a bright
light around it, and in its midst
something like glowing metal in
the midst of the fire.

5 Within it there were figures
resembling (J)four living beings
And this was their appearance:
they had human (K)form.

13 In the midst of the living
beings there was something that
looked like burning coals of
fire, like torches darting back
and forth among the living beings.
The fire was bright, and lightning
was flashing from the fire.

15 Now as I looked at the
living beings, behold, there was
one wheel on the earth beside the
living beings, for each of the four

16 The appearance of the
wheels and their workmanship was
like sparkling beryl, and all four
of them had the same form, their
appearance and workmanship being as
if one wheel were within another wheel

25 And there came a voice from
above the expanse that was over
their heads; whenever they stood still,
they dropped their wings.

26 Now above the expanse that
was over their heads there was
something resembling a throne,
like lapis lazuli in appearance;
and on that which resembled a
throne, high up, was a figure with
the appearance of a man.

27 Then I noticed from the
appearance of His loins and upward
something like glowing metal that
looked like fire all around within
it, and from the appearance of His
loins and downward I saw something
like fire; and there was a radiance
around Him.

28 As the appearance of the
rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day,
so was the appearance of the
surrounding radiance such was the
appearance of the likeness of the
glory of the LORD And when I saw it,
I fell on my face and heard
a voice speaking.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how is it any better if they're demons.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
For reference as to "aliens are literally the exact same thing as ghosts/demons/the boogeyman": The Nightmare (Rodney Ascher, 2015)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

K. Waste posted:

What evidence is there to support this?

Ed Wood's career

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

It explains why beings who otherwise seem to have a toxic reaction to water would go within a light year of Earth, I guess, let alone hang out in a corn field creeping on people.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Ed Wood's career

It's hubcap flying saucers all the way down. (Just kidding, those flying saucers were toy models, Wood just lied about it later in life because he gave no fucks.)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Groovelord Neato posted:

Twists and secrets make movies good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

now that i found out there's a woke flintstones comic i want a movie of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Were the aliens in signs even antagonistic? The one that made it to tv was just hanging around in a back garden and one at some point got locked inside a room and was trying to escape. I don't even remember what the at the end of the film was doing. Was it holding the son hostage?

• Locked thread