Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Osric posted:

A cliffhanger is when you don't know what's going to happen next and how the situation will be resolved until you see the next one.

It's not when you don't know what any of the characters are feeling or what the point of the film's climax is until you see the next one.

If you're not on the spectrum, it's fairly easy to guess what Luke and Rey are feeling in that scene.

And there are totally cliffhangers based entirely on feelings/reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It will actually be revealed that Luke is Rey's father, and Episode 8 will be a courtroom drama about how he's a piece of poo poo parent who abandoned his child.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That scene was clearly Mark Hamill giving up and not giving a gently caress anymore. There is no hidden depth, just no shits given and bad acting.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oohhboy posted:

That scene was clearly Mark Hamill giving up and not giving a gently caress anymore. There is no hidden depth, just no shits given and bad acting.

It's interesting how we have people that can't read the scene at all and we have people projecting their own made up bullshit all over it.

Oh wait, not interesting, the other thing.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

counterfeitsaint posted:

It will actually be revealed that Luke is Rey's father, and Episode 8 will be a courtroom drama about how he's a piece of poo poo parent who abandoned his child.

It will take place on a courtroom planet with a whooping audience and a sleazy TV host. Maybe some chairs getting thrown. Hell I should submit a sketch to SNL about this.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Glad to see you give a poo poo. The next step for you is to SMG the place up.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Ray is Mary Sue

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Glad to see you give a poo poo. The next step for you is to SMG the place up.

You really think Hamill doesn't give a gently caress? Didn't he lose a ton of weight and train super hard to get into shape for these movies?

You realize his 10 second cameo isn't the full extent of his contract, right?

If anything, Ford is the one who doesn't give a gently caress anymore, requiring that he be killed off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mark Hamill is a good dude who actually generally takes his work seriously and puts in his best. He's not ford in the christmas special. I remember an interview with him where he was talking about how for over a year they had him on a super workout regimen and he lost a bunch of weight and got into shape ready to do stunts or at least look like he can still fight and move like a Jedi, he was pumped. Then it was "this lady gives you a lightsaber" and he was pretty surprised, but clearly he's going to be in it way more in future.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rey is a character who the script does no favors with scenes like "hey I fixed the Millennium Falcon, and you just explained how hard that would be!", which is one step removed from JJ Abrams just stopping the film to come out and tell us how great Rey is.

The is/is not Mary Sue argument is worthless.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

WampaLord posted:

It's interesting how we have people that can't read the scene at all and we have people projecting their own made up bullshit all over it.

WampaLord posted:

If you're not on the spectrum, it's fairly easy to guess what Luke and Rey are feeling in that scene.

Pot, Kettle.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why does Boss Nass say peace? If they're celebrating the victory over the trade federation, shouldn't he say victory? But saying peace and taking the glow ball from Padme makes it seem like they're celebrating a peace between humans and Gungans. But the movie hadn't established any serious conflict between the two groups, just some general bad feelings.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You do realise I don't like TFA. I gave up when Kylo stopped that blaster shot with the Force. I was thinking "poo poo this is just Dragon Ball Z" with things just getting more and more divorced from any sort of goodness and I was right.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Baronjutter posted:

Mark Hamill is a good dude who actually generally takes his work seriously and puts in his best. He's not ford in the christmas special. I remember an interview with him where he was talking about how for over a year they had him on a super workout regimen and he lost a bunch of weight and got into shape ready to do stunts or at least look like he can still fight and move like a Jedi, he was pumped. Then it was "this lady gives you a lightsaber" and he was pretty surprised, but clearly he's going to be in it way more in future.

People always give Hamill poo poo for his B-movie acting after Star Wars, but the dude is a legend among actual fans who bother to learn anything about him.

And he's also the official voice of the Joker. And a million other characters.

If you want to see some seriously cool stuff check out Comic Book: The Movie. They filmed part of a movie at Comic-Con with Hamill pretending to be not-Hamill and interacting with a ton of people at the show. It stars a ton of cool voice actors like the dude who did Wakko Warner plays the camera guy so fans didn't realize they were being interviewed by Wakko Warner and Luke Skywalker, and they have a special on the DVD where they get a ton of people like Robert Paulsen and Maurice LaMarche and the dude who did the original Space Ghost in the golden era.

That's one project off the top of my head.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked TFA, but that last scene is inscrutable. And they linger on it for like forever. It's a really bad way to end a movie.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

revdrkevind posted:

If you want to see some seriously cool stuff check out Comic Book: The Movie. They filmed part of a movie at Comic-Con with Hamill pretending to be not-Hamill and interacting with a ton of people at the show. It stars a ton of cool voice actors like the dude who did Wakko Warner plays the camera guy so fans didn't realize they were being interviewed by Wakko Warner and Luke Skywalker, and they have a special on the DVD where they get a ton of people like Robert Paulsen and Maurice LaMarche and the dude who did the original Space Ghost in the golden era.

That's one project off the top of my head.

Comic Book: The Movie is worth seeing just for the scene where the lady who voices Pearl Krabs sucks on the finger of the guy who voices Fry/Zoidberg/Stimpy/numerous other characters, in order to seduce him. :quagmire:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

oohhboy posted:

You do realise I don't like TFA. I gave up when Kylo stopped that blaster shot with the Force. I was thinking "poo poo this is just Dragon Ball Z" with things just getting more and more divorced from any sort of goodness and I was right.

I actually really like that Kylo has a unique force power instead of gaining exp at the academy until he has enough skill points to buy a force power from a list of skills which is how it seemed in the prequels.

Everyone had force push and it seems anyone can get force lightening rather than force choke and force lightning being unique to vader and palpy respectfully.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
To be fair, most of those list of force powers from the video games came directly from the prequels and were new when we saw them.

Freeze blaster blast will be a video game power you choose from a list next time they make one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I could go for a Sonic Freeze Blaster Blast right now

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Rey is a character who the script does no favors with scenes like "hey I fixed the Millennium Falcon, and you just explained how hard that would be!", which is one step removed from JJ Abrams just stopping the film to come out and tell us how great Rey is.

The is/is not Mary Sue argument is worthless.

I meant Ray from Ghostbusters

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I liked TFA, but that last scene is inscrutable. And they linger on it for like forever. It's a really bad way to end a movie.

Ehh more like ambiguous. The ending was fine. (definitely should have cut the helicopter shot though, wtf?)

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Dan akroyd is a Mary Sue.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

a bone to pick posted:

I love how Episode 1 tried to do the same thing as Episode 4 by having a princess congratulate all the heroes but it was so loving weird and nothing made any sense while it was happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTDeA313H80

What the gently caress is going onnnnn?

The worst part of this scene is Natlie Portman as she hands him the big glowing orb. Her eye line is basically straight ahead/down and as the cg character turns and lifts the thing she continues staring ahead without moving. THAT is why no one will ever convince me the prequels aren't garbage. They didn't even integrate the cg in with like an actor standing there so she would know where to look and what to do. Although the behind the scenes poo poo with Lucas in the editing bay may also explain all of the weirdness because maybe that scene was filmed totally differently who knows.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ghosthorse posted:

The worst part of this scene is Natlie Portman as she hands him the big glowing orb. Her eye line is basically straight ahead/down and as the cg character turns and lifts the thing she continues staring ahead without moving. THAT is why no one will ever convince me the prequels aren't garbage. They didn't even integrate the cg in with like an actor standing there so she would know where to look and what to do. Although the behind the scenes poo poo with Lucas in the editing bay may also explain all of the weirdness because maybe that scene was filmed totally differently who knows.

I love the knowing smile by Padme at the end when she looks at Annie and thinks, "I'm gunna gently caress that 10 year old".

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Why didn't they just make Anakin 14 or something like he was obviously supposed to be.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

greatn posted:

To be fair, most of those list of force powers from the video games came directly from the prequels and were new when we saw them.

Freeze blaster blast will be a video game power you choose from a list next time they make one.

Eh, gotta go with a Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 on that one.

Sure "force run/jump" suddenly spiked in popularity after the editors forgot to write ways for the character to get between the scenes. But there was a rich collection of force powers in games before that.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

monster on a stick posted:

Why didn't they just make Anakin 14 or something like he was obviously supposed to be.

maybe lucas is a pedo?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh. He's not a Mary Sue because Egon never falls in love with him.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

CaptainFish posted:

It also would've helped if Padme was looking at Boss Nass (?) in the face with some sort of joy or happiness, instead of staring directly into his chest with no emotion.

I just rewatched the Star Wars awards ceremony and there's all sorts of emoting going on. I think they call that acting?

Phantom Menace just has this:

Is that a clip-on tail?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This is my favorite part of the prequels, in episode 1 Anakin's actor is 10 and Padme's is 18. Anakin according to ~the lore~ Anakin is 9 and Padme is 14. Anakin looks the right age and Padme looks too old. There is a 10 year gap between episode 1 and 2. Anakin's and Padme's actors in episode 2 were both 20, so Anakin ages 10 years and it's believable and he looks the part, while Padme barely looks older at all.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is that a clip-on tail?

they actually sold those little braid things as a toy. i think it came with either the little walkie talkie communicator device they use or qui gon's lightsaber.

source: i had one.

edit, both:

dreezy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 16, 2017

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I loving hate Anakin's and Obi Wan's retarded spiky hair styles. Lucas can't even get loving hair right.

gently caress movies

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
part of being a jedi is having a raggedy rear end haircut

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dylan McKay posted:

part of being a jedi is having a raggedy rear end haircut

with a nice, long, disgusting rat tail

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

mng posted:

I loving hate Anakin's and Obi Wan's retarded spiky hair styles. Lucas can't even get loving hair right.

gently caress movies

Ewan McGregor would've looked badass with long hair and they ruined it. This is depressing to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7UjyAVQivc

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lucas' son was 9 or so at that time.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Schweinhund posted:

Ewan McGregor would've looked badass with long hair and they ruined it. This is depressing to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7UjyAVQivc

lmao that lucas quote 1:00 in

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Episode 8 only really makes sense if we are supposed to see Rey as the badass that has to turn to the dark side and fall and Kylo ren as the weak protagonist who will grow and change and kill Rey in the third movie.

The mary sue criticism falls apart if Rey is VIIIs darth vader and kylo is luke.

Who are we kidding, disney says girls are fierce badasses who can do anything. Grr...

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 17, 2017

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
They'll probably just both team up to fight hologram man or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh. He's not a Mary Sue because Egon never falls in love with him.

How does the ghost blowjob factor into this analysis?

• Locked thread