Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Eifert Posting posted:

Just making sure the LP isn't dead...

Truthkeeper did mention shiny distractions.

e: New pages are both shiny and distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Back to the Grind

The new year begins with the adults of town giving money to all the kids… wait, what? This is making it more difficult to figure out how old everybody is supposed to be.

The beginning of a new year is also the beginning of a new month. And the first week of every month, a special dungeon becomes available in Sercerezo Hill (I was annoyed when I missed this in Winter). Just another deep cave with a boss fight in it from RF3.

Two holes and a sign. It’s an interesting layout.

Well, you’re the boss mysterious sign writer.

I probably shouldn’t follow instructions given to me by mysterious signs.

After slaughtering the ants, I teleported back up, and went down the left hole this time.

Art is actually a drat good cook, however did the mysterious sign writer guess?

Whoever is at the end of this is going to be very disappointed.

Well, that’s a terrifying response. Tanuki gonna get his rear end kicked again.

This is just a repeat of the first boss fight from RF3. At first, he’s nothing special.

I smacked him around the room a little. But then!

This is where the fight really begins. Tanuki’s giant form is much stronger, can throw leaves around the room, and can split into four, with three Tanukis being illusions.

It’s not a difficult fight.

And so Art made a friend. A friend that I will kick the poo poo out of once a day every day. The reward for this fight is a dungeon seed, which will allow me to grow a little bonus dungeon in the field. Unsurprisingly, it’s often called the Field Dungeon.

While in Sercerezo, I popped over to this crystal flower producing tree to get the seeds for Spring, blue crystal flower seeds.

There are some ways to play around with this dungeon, but for now I’m just gonna plant a normal one.

You know, speaking of dungeons, wasn’t I chasing some guys into Sechs? I don’t really feel like flying back there, too bad the bridge is out.

Wait a second… THE BRIDGE!

Clorica you are the worst butler ever.

Excuse me? You expect me to do manual labor? Beyond that which is required for farming I mean.

You’d think with a bridge construction done entirely off camera, I’d be able to insert some clever innuendo. But I got nothing.

Why the hell did he send Clorica to do this in the first place?

More importantly however, Art’s taking Dolce out again. And not in the dead of winter this time!

The good news is that if we can’t save Venti, she’s gonna make a great dragon skin rug.

What a strange thing to be concerned about. Then again…

Art, you are screwing with the poor girl.

One would think that Art would be scared of heights, or airships, given that his first memory is being dropped over the side.

Dolce, I use this airship a dozen times a day to get to places I’m too lazy to walk too. You’ve been with me for many of those trips.

That was bad and you should feel bad. I think we’re flying too high, the thin air is making Dolly lightheaded. That or she got into the minibar.

She’s not up here on an airship with you because she likes you or anything baka!

After walking the lady home, what’s left to do today?

The Cooking Contest is the only one that I haven’t participated in, I missed it last year.

Nobody ever gives me the respect I deserve.

No respect.

So let’s get this thing started.

The way I’m given to understand it (and it seems to work well enough as a strategy), the more HP your dish heals, the better it is. You get more points on top of that for arranged dishes, and more bonus points for dishes you actually cooked, as opposed to buying something from Porcoline or finding it in a dungeon.

And I already know Porcoline loves my curry bread, he buys it all the time when I have the shop open.

Even yesterday, when you bought the same thing from my shop?

Well then, let’s see the results!

It gets you third place. I feel validated.

Margaret wasn’t the projected winner or making a big deal about beating me. She’s a respectable second place finisher.

It’s like I keep saying, I loving own this town and everything that happens in it.

And I stopped in to beat up my new friend again. This time, he dropped a raccoon leaf. It increases the range of a weapon like glitter augite, but also has a significant boost to Intelligence, making it good for spellcasters.

NEXT TIME: The World of Fields

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 31, 2016

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Is there supposed to be more to that update? It just sort of... ends.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Is there supposed to be more to that update? It just sort of... ends.

You're absolutely correct, I cut off my next time tagline.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A dungeon that you actually... grow in your fields. What a perfectly Rune Factory thing.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I am honestly a little surprised it took them this long to get around to it, it fits perfectly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Glazius posted:

A dungeon that you actually... grow in your fields. What a perfectly Rune Factory thing.

Sadly, it's not really all that useful for a wide variety of reasons unless you're taking a long time to progress.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Well at least we now know why all these monster infested dungeons keep cropping up near towns in this series. Just like in real life agricultural runoff devastates the local environment.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Dungeon flowers have one use as a good source of stone for furniture and expansions.

A giant dungeon flower will reach the enemy level of the last Sharence Maze dungeon if you water it for a few days after it matures.

Otherwise that's all I know on this topic.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

"Hi, how's it going? Do you know what Blue Crystal flowers are? They're exceptionally beautiful, and quite unique. "An old legend claims the first Blue Crystal Ro-- er, flower was guarded by a demon named Bluaga. That's neither here nor there, though. It's tough to grow, but well worth the effort. That's why my request this time is to harvest a Blue Crystal. Good luck!"

I successfully grew some blue crystal flowers alongside my melon patch. Since I can only get crystal flower seeds in their corresponding seasons, this is going to take at minimum until summer to finish getting all four, would be longer if I hadn’t remembered to grab the seeds in fall and winter even though I couldn’t turn those flowers in yet. Is it worth it in the end? Meh, kinda. In the short term, my reward for this quest was that I can buy blue crystal seeds from Illuminata and Amber now.

I really should have started growing fruit a long time ago. Apples, oranges, and grapes are all required for these requests, but I was too lazy, and now I have to wait for the trees to grow.

Gee, thanks Dolly. Such a sweetheart you are, telling me about the flan you didn’t make for me.

And then Forte was wandering around town in a daze.

Ah, Art. I was just thinking about castle security. Though we do have the fearsome Lady Ventuswill to protect us, we're still short-handed.

Especially as we don’t have the fearsome Lady Ventuswill to protect us. They’re usually pretty good about changing dialogue to suit the ongoing plot, but they dropped the ball here.

That's gotta mean a lot of work for you, eh?

Oh, it isn't that difficult. I'm still inexperienced as a knight, after all.

Ha ha. You're very kind, Art.

Thanks...

To be honest, I'm uncertain of myself.

Hmm?

I'm knight to a Native Dragon. It's my duty to protect Lady Ventuswill, but…

Forte…

My apologies. If Lady Ventuswill were to see me like this, she would be angry with me. It's Lady Ventuswill who protects this town, in truth. She protects everyone, including me. Yes, I know it cannot be helped. Our entire continent is protected by the Native Dragons' power. It's vain to think one human's skill could mean anything in the face of that. But, if that's the case... I can't help but wonder if I'm of any use to the Lady at all

It seems to me that Ventuswill’s knight should be doing the same thing that I’m doing now, and that Leon did as her priest way back when: be her friend. That’s pretty much the only thing we puny mortals have to offer the Dragon God Mayor King, besides doing her dirty work for her, which I guess is the other service I provide. And of course, when she’s completely helpless like now, we go out and commit regicide on her behalf. So I guess us mere mortals actually provide a number of services, Ventuswill should be more grateful.

So, to erase those doubts, I have and will continue to train. That way, perhaps one day I'll be of some use to the Lady. And, perhaps I'll be able to protect all I want to protect.

That line would be a great segue if I was dating her or intended to. As I am not and not planning to though…

Yes. Him, and everyone who lives in this town. I swore I would do so when I took my first oath as a knight. I'm actually feeling a little better. I've never discussed that with anyone before. It was helpful. Thank you, Art.

Art’s a helper!

But let’s talk about the main event. That being…

The Field Dungeon. Or the World of Fields, as the game insists on calling it. The first of several randomly generated bonus dungeons.

I grabbed my team of lovely and capable women, and now we’re going to go slap a monkey.

The Field Dungeon is randomized. A random layout, based on various outdoor maps, with random treasure. By default, it’s four levels long, with a boss fight (usually just a big monster) at the end of the level. The fancy magic circle here will let me teleport out while standing in it.

Every room I enter is blocked by barriers, requiring that I clear the room to progress.

The final room of a floor has the same fancy magic circle pattern as seen in the first room, which will allow me to progress to the next floor.

Some rooms have treasure. When I’m very lucky, it’s just a room with one or more chests. It’s less lucky to find monsters and chests together, since chests break if you hit them, losing whatever loot they had.

The treasure is very random, possibly based on game progression, I’ve never quite been certain.

I think bonus dungeons and the Heaven’s Gate boss fight earlier are the only times you can actually fight giant Woolies.

The fourth level was a snowy map this time.

The final boss is Greater Daemon, a returning boss from RF1. He’s big, he has a projectile attack that covers a wide area, and he hits hard in melee. It would be a difficult fight, except I’m kinda overleveled for the default version of this dungeon.

The reward for clearing the dungeon, besides whatever loot you can find in the chests, is either a sword seed or a shield seed. When planted, these grow into flowers. At full growth, you can pick them and have a short sword or shield. The stats of the plant sword/plant shield will be randomly chosen from among the short swords/shields available. If you level up you seeds, you’ll get a leveled up sword/shield, which Barett’s analysis will show was upgraded with a completely random item, usually not a good one.

Now, you’ll recall I mentioned this was the default Field Dungeon? It can be upgraded, as we’ll see later.

But just doing that one was enough to knock off this request.

I’ve planted my sword flower. Even if it’s something good, I’ll keep punching my way to victory.

As I said, the treasure can be very random. Here I got a long sword rune ability

And here I got an HP increasing Heart Drink.

And here I got puppetry strings, which I have been fighting Marionetta every day in an attempt to get. The drop rate is very low, but the strings are very useful.

And here a Gobble Box (second tier Mimic) caught me off guard.

So, what’s so special about puppetry strings, you might wonder.

They’re required to make a rosary. As long as I have this equipped, no random monsters will spawn. It turns bonus dungeons into boss rushes. It’s kinda unsporting to use it in regular dungeons though. Ventuswill will just have to tough it out and wait for me to slog through the enemy army.

NEXT TIME: Sechs Territory? I dunno, I think I have a contest scheduled that day, we’ll have to do it another time.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Now that you have a field dungeon, you have access to what I call the "odd-numbered floor Sharence Maze Bosses". They are random and change every time you enter a field dungeon but they come from a small list of which many are rare or even unique encounters (like that giant King Wooly). Some can be recruited but not all. You can farm the elemental fairies quite easily here. Monster users should consider grabbing Blue here as a water-caster and Healer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, interesting. So you can boss rush that dungeon warp zone? Neat.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Hey, you got me playing this stupid game again, this time as a girl. I'm trying some stuff I haven't done before. Would it be alright if I posted a partial LP of some of the different stuff? I don't want to step on any toes, but it doesn't really warrant its own thread.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Glazius posted:

Oh, interesting. So you can boss rush that dungeon warp zone? Neat.

Yep. There are pros and cons, no chests if you do it boss rush style, but you can also knock out a whole string of boss monsters quickly, gaining a mess of boss drops and prince points.

Going into the Sharance Maze (or the endgame dungeon) is how I'm supposed to get the recipe for pineapple juice to give to Margaret for her request that's got my progress all backed up. But I'm being stubborn and gonna force it without the recipe.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Hey, you got me playing this stupid game again, this time as a girl. I'm trying some stuff I haven't done before. Would it be alright if I posted a partial LP of some of the different stuff? I don't want to step on any toes, but it doesn't really warrant its own thread.

Feel free. There's not that much different, the female PC (Frey by default) has a couple lines that differ in some spots, and Venti and Volkanon end up looking a little stupid for thinking that the new girl in town is the prince they were waiting for. But honestly, I think Frey got a little bit better writing for her unique scenes, some of the romantic interludes with her and the local men are very well done.

Also, soda can tab nipple decorations.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Truthkeeper posted:

Also, soda can tab nipple decorations.

After repeated use of the phrase "product of bestiality" I really shouldn't be surprised by the way you phrase things, but...

What?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Skyridge posted:

After repeated use of the phrase "product of bestiality" I really shouldn't be surprised by the way you phrase things, but...

What?

Official art of the female protagonist:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Official art of the female protagonist:

Honestly, her hair not being weighed down by her hair ties bothers me more than the nipple chain at this point.

Okay, let's play some of Rune Factory 4 as a girl this time!

First, I would like to thank the OP for making this, as Rune Factory is awesome and getting screenshots off a 3DS sucks. I'm stuck taking taking screenshots through Miiverse and it is a remarkably stupid system. Also, I'm starting this in the mid fall of the first year, after the end of Act 1, but before the beginning of Act 2 when the Sechs invasion happens. Partially this is because I want to see any potential dialogue between Venti and ~*~*~*~my boyfriend~*~*~*~, partially because I want to see Venti in human form, and well...

We start the game in pretty much the exact same way, except...

Sechs soldiers aren't very smart. They just walk around randomly while occasionally swinging their swords. They do occasionally hit you if you just stay still...

but even if you do, you can't go below 1 HP. It took me a good five minutes of me running into their swords to get to this point.

The dialogue here is pretty much the same, so we're skipping ahead. I hadn't planned on making a mini LP, I didn't want to restart the game, and most of the game is already being covered. There are a few cute lines from the boys that you only get as a girl, but you're not missing that much. In previous games, I've married Arthur, realized that while I like Vishnal I really couldn't stand having Vic Mignona as my husband, Doug is stupid, and Kiel looks like a kid and has the same engagement event as Forte. This leaves Dylas and Leon. I'm going with Leon.

Fun fact: Act 2 does not start until you trigger it. You only trigger it if you use the front gate in and out of Selphia by walking through it. However, we can still go anywhere we want thanks to the escape spell, which will transport you directly to your room. All you have to do is remember to not walk through the gate and you could play into eternity without the Sechs invasion and everyone happy forever.

I can do most of my farming stuff, and thanks to the gold ore I found in a chest in the Lava Ruins, I can upgrade to a scythe that will let me get to level 10 veggies and a watering can that covers a 9x9 (or 18x18 if you’re counting that way) area. I just have to settle for mediocre fertilizers, not getting a spring field, and no dungeon crawling for the next few seasons….

Or do I?

I missed dungeon crawling and wanted to try something new, so I decided to try tackling Maya Road early. My melee weapons were pretty much useless, but luckily…

Magic is pretty effective.

These birds are super important, by the way. Why?

I’d been getting hit pretty hard, so this was a lifesaver.

There are some cool things about doing Maya Road early. First off, a look at some of the pillars that the soldiers use to block your way:

The soldiers never hit the switches, so the barriers have not been raised.

Some of them are still up though.

Gold ore!

And an awesome surprise waiting for me at the end of the dungeon!

Orange grass is an ingredient in two things: Greenifier + and Relax Tea. Greenifier + increases your crop level better than Greenifier and Relax Tea massively increases your max RP. This is vital for crafting. Orange grass mostly only shows up in the spring area, so seeing it here is a big deal.

This is the final room of Maya Road. A boss is normally here, but is not right now.

Just past Maya Road…

We’re here for some Sechsy times. Mostly we are here for this:

White grass. It’s needed for Formula C, the best formula in the game to get crops to grow quickly, as well as an ingredient in Relax Tea. This is the entire reason why I wanted to get through Maya Road. Getting orange grass was a lovely bonus.

There are enemies to fight and there are crafting drops and stuff and…

Another boss room with no boss in it.

And now I can play my game forever with nothing bad ever happening.

Next time: Together with Leon!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I don't remember when she sells it (my file is in post game), but White Grass can be bought from Nancy at the hospital/apothecary. It's also occasionally available from the flower shop. It's 120G a piece.

You can also waste a few hours (2-3 in-game years) with an apple orchard farm to max-level the soil and then apply Giantizers once to get giant crops for the rest of the game (water crops for one extra day and they become giant the next day as long as they're planted as 4 in a 2x2 grid). I'm not sure you even need the Giantizers, but I've never used anything on my soil except wet-able powder and Clover since then. Strangely, I've lvl 10-ed all crops and flowers but I haven't shipped all giant crops yet. I should get on that one of these days.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

mastersord posted:

I don't remember when she sells it (my file is in post game), but White Grass can be bought from Nancy at the hospital/apothecary. It's also occasionally available from the flower shop. It's 120G a piece.

Not until either Act 3 or the post-game, I believe. Even then, buyable grasses are only ever level 1, while grasses found in the wild spawn at random levels. Using higher level grasses to make high level Relax Tea is part of my master plan to make pineapple juice. The fact that I need a master plan to run a fruit through a blender kind of astounds me, but that's the kind of game we're working with here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kind of surprised you can't cultivate those colored grasses on your farm.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 17, 2017

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Glazius posted:

It makes them a rarer commodity, makes you go out and explore outside town, and encourages progressing through the game. It can be annoying though.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
If you're looking for high level colored grasses, DO NOT use any random dungeons. The items that are found on the floor outside of chests are always level 1

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Wow, I let way too much time go between updates there. A bit due to life being busy, a bit due to having issues with LPix last time I tried to get this update going, a bit due to technical issues on my end, a bit due to general lazyness. Point is, incoming update.

mastersord posted:

If you're looking for high level colored grasses, DO NOT use any random dungeons. The items that are found on the floor outside of chests are always level 1

This is true. Half the trick with making fertilizers, relax tea, or anything else that requires grass is to memorize where each color of grass can be found.

Glazius posted:

This one has bugged me for awhile. I kinda wish there was more interaction between farming and crafting. The early games had farm plots in dungeons and sometimes required that you grow stuff there to progress. That was... really badly implemented and kind of annoying, but it's the kind of thinking I can get behind.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

A Shiny Distraction Appears!
Alright! I’ve putzed around long enough, it’s time to stomp through the Sechs territory and confront the…

Well… I mean that’s a tempting distraction, but I don’t need to do it, right? I already got… that trophy… last year…

Second place. Huh. Welp. Sorry Venti, but I have to go do a thing with some beans, you understand, right?

First place victory bitches. Alright, now I can stop caring about contests for a while (until the big catch fishing contest) and go back to focusing on saving… ooh, my sword plant is ready!

Plant Swords are fun, but I’m sticking to my fists. Unless I happen to grow one that’s ridiculously better than my fists, in which case I’ll show off how to turn one kind of weapon into another.

Ah well, time to get back to… ooh fun character event!... Which I seem to be missing several screenshots from. This update was delayed more than usual first by me losing a bunch of shots here, and then having some issues with LPix. I’m fairly certain about half of these lines from the text dump at the beginning weren’t actually in this scene, but overly-complete is better than missing bits.

*SIIIGH*

What's wrong?

I've been seeing a lot of trash littering the lakeshore recently.

Somebody's littering by the lake?

Yeah. It's never been this bad before.

Weird. Who could be doing it?

Well, we've had more travelers visiting lately. I don't think it's the work of one person. Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to dump all my worries on you. I'll go clean it all up, myself. I like to clean, y'know.

Margaret…

Okay, off to make our lake beautiful again!

Let me help.

Hm?

It'll go quicker with two people instead of one, right?

...True. Thanks.

Well, let's head off to the lake then.

And so Art and Margaret did travel forth to Dragon Lake.

Yeah.

Look. I'm seeing some even over there, now.

That boot wasn’t there until she picked it up. Which makes me think she pulled it out of her pocket to prove that people were littering.

There's more than I remembered.

Ew. This is terrible.

Illuminata?

Ellie? Where did you come from...

I find it odd that Illuminata has two nicknames (Amber calls her Lumie, Margaret might be the only one who calls her Ellie, and I think only a couple times. Translation error, maybe, I dunno.

Don't you know? They do say that a true detective must also be a chameleon!

No they don't.

But anyway, what are you two up to?

That's my line. What are you doing here?

Heh heh. I figured I would pin down the location of all the black-market dealings going on. And, just as I expected, the two of you appeared!

I’m fairly certain the only black market dealings in this town are between me and Raven. I’m not asking any questions about where she gets those monster drops she sells.

Can't you tell that's not true just by looking?

Anyway, I'm bored. Whatever you two are doing, I wanna help. ♪

You shouldn’t volunteer to help with things if you don’t know what they are. You might accidentally volunteer for trash cleanup day.

There's been a lot of litter by the lake, so we were going to clean it all up.

Ah, I see. Well then, I'm afraid I'm too busy to help right now. Ta-ta!

Um, didn't you just say you were bored?

Hmph. You have sharp ears, Meg. Hmm! I guess I can be nice this once and help out.

Gee Lumie, are you sure? We wouldn’t want to inconvenience you or anything.

Heh heh, I knew we could count on you, Ellie. ♪

You betcha! I'll start working over here, then.

Art, how about you take...hmm...

Okay.

And then the scene became interactive. Several examine point appeared around the area Meg told me to investigate, and Art pulls a piece of garbage from out of nowhere at each one.

Hey, Art! Let's finish up.

Okay! I think I'll hang onto this weird little bottle.

I think that should do it.

Y'know, cleaning is a lot of fun! Very rewarding!

Yeah, it is.

Oh hey! Art, what's that? Let me see! Let me see!

Oh, uh, here.

Oh, hmm. It's just junk. Pretty junk, but still junk.

People collect pretty junk all the time, and often sell it for a lot of money.

Melody Bottle?

Yeah. It's a magical bottle that has a siren's song sealed inside of it.

Oddly enough, a real item found in game. It’s a drop from a boss in the very ultimately final superdungeon.

Ooh, that sounds romantic! How about we open it and listen?

Great idea! Listening to sirens’ songs has never gone poorly for anybody ever!

Are you sure that's a good idea?

Oh it'll be fine! Let's give it a listen!

“Do you remember me?
I'm sorry we had to meet again this way.
I'm afraid I cannot come to see you personally anymore.
I've grown a little too old.
I'm glad that I got to hear your voice, and I hope that my voice reaches you one last time.
Thank you.
And goodbye.”

Uh, was that supposed to be a song?

...I guess not. It was a message. A very sad message.

So what are we going to do with it? It seems a pity to, y'know... throw it away.

Yeah.

I'll take it home with me.

You will?

Yeah. Whoever wrote that message wanted it to reach Audy. I want to help it get to her.

How are you going to manage that? The only clue you have is a name.

I'll ask some travelers. They might have heard of someone named Audy.

It’s not as horribly unlikely as it sounds. She does hang out with Porcoline, and he has diplomatic connections. And she could ask Arthur, who has royal connections and also is the biggest import-export kingpin in this part of the country. And she could ask Art… well, okay, for once, this is a problem Art can’t solve. I was right when I said Art can’t solve everybody’s problems.

Sheesh. Sometimes you're a little too good-hearted.

Heh heh...

Thanks, Ellie.

All right then, I think I'll be heading home.

Okay. Thanks for your help.

You bet! Oh, and by the way...

Yeah?

Wha?! I-it's not like that!!

Ah ha ha! Ta-ta!

What's wrong?

Um...I, uh...

Hm?

Right.

So, um...i-if you wouldn't mind, uh... You can call me "Meg," too.

It seems like it would be a dick move to refuse to use her preferred nickname.

So I'll call you Meg from now on.

Hee hee...thanks.

Anyway, I think I'll head home. Thanks for your help.

See you later!

Hee hee...thanks, Art.

It’s an amusing scene with a cute ending. I can’t help but think that would have been a great leadup to dating Meg if I had been going that route.

But who should I meet on my way back to… what was I doing again?

Yes Leon, just like it was last time.

...Not bad.

Huh?

Your conversations lately has been quite entertaining. My opinion of you is improving.

I take no responsibility for Leon’s grammar. Given the time period he’s from, we should be amazed he speaks the same language as everybody else. Especially given that they had a different alphabet back then. Remember that tablet in Water Ruins that Art couldn’t read? Leon is one character you could take there that can read it.

If you bring me magic, I'll gladly upgrade it for you. Not for free, though, of course.

Oh no, of course. Nobody could ever help out the guy trying to save the world without cash upfront.

It’s not an interesting process. You take a spell out of your spell inventory and hand it to Leon.

He quotes you a price, you pay, the spell levels up. Higher level spells do more damage or healing.

The first couple levels just cost money, as you level higher, he starts asking for items, including sapphires and platinum.

NEXT TIME: I make no promises about whether or not I'm ever going to get around to saving the world. Venti may be doomed.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 11, 2017

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So is Leon the main source for better magic?

Also never really thought about it before now, does the Rune Factory series not have people that un-wooed bachelors/bachelorettes will get together with? Since it's more plot driven and less about life on a farm I can see why, I'm just so used to that being the case from Harvest Moon it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't happen here.

Truthkeeper posted:

it’s time to stomp through the Seches territory and confront the…

Alright, not I can stop caring about contests for a while

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zagglezig posted:

Leon is the source for upgrading magic. A fireball level 2 does more damage than fireball level 1, but is otherwise identical.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And yes, Rune Factory is quite content to let the player take their sweet time marrying without shutting out options. 2 and 3 even required you to marry before the main plot could be wrapped up for some reason!

They make up for it by having neat characters that should have been bachelor/ettes but are unobtainable. :mad:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zagglezig posted:

Also never really thought about it before now, does the Rune Factory series not have people that un-wooed bachelors/bachelorettes will get together with? Since it's more plot driven and less about life on a farm I can see why, I'm just so used to that being the case from Harvest Moon it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't happen here.

Only some Harvest Moons do this, unfortunately. :( They haven't since Animal Parade in the Wii, I think.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Only some Harvest Moons do this, unfortunately. :( They haven't since Animal Parade in the Wii, I think.

I don't think it's happened in any of the portable HMs except Friends/More Friends of Mineral Town.

Sage Grimm posted:

And yes, Rune Factory is quite content to let the player take their sweet time marrying without shutting out options. 2 and 3 even required you to marry before the main plot could be wrapped up for some reason!

They make up for it by having neat characters that should have been bachelor/ettes but are unobtainable. :mad:

I would have married Illuminata in a heartbeat... which I suppose would have technically made us Amber's adopted parents? That's not creepy at all.

Dirk the Average posted:

Leon is the source for upgrading magic. A fireball level 2 does more damage than fireball level 1, but is otherwise identical.

He's the only source for controllable upgrades. There's always the off chance for a upgraded spell in a treasure chest (which is the only way to get upgraded rune abilities, as I'm given to recall).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. It seems like kind of late in the game to be getting magic upgrades, at least compared to weapons.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Glazius posted:

Dang. It seems like kind of late in the game to be getting magic upgrades, at least compared to weapons.

It's not that bad. There's a lot more content in the game, and magic does scale with magic attack on weapons, so magic upgrades are nice, but not required. The real problem is that thanks to the phenominal weapon upgrade system, magic becomes obsolete pretty quickly once you get some of the more exotic materials and the smithing skill to use them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Weapons get pretty poo poo-crazy if you can handle the crafting, but there's something to be said for casting Prism and body slamming the enemy.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Weapons get pretty poo poo-crazy if you can handle the crafting, but there's something to be said for casting Prism and body slamming the enemy.

This is one of my favorite strategies, especially once I have the endgame accessory that lets me base magic damage off physical attack.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Got to the end of Act 2. Offloading images now, nearly 6000 already and still a fair few left to go. Even after I pare off the duplicates, we are talking a few good updates worth of material here.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

A Brief Interlude With Clorica

Do you have time to chat for a minute?

Sure!

Oh, good! Come right this way, then.

Of course she fell asleep again.

Huh?! Um… Clorica?

Zzz...

It's no good. She's out like a light.

Ack!

Oh poor Art, please, tell me more about how horrible it is to have attractive women throwing themselves at you.

Zzz...

Great, now what do I do?

Mmmmh...

She's waking up.

Zzz...

I'm going to have to stay still until she wakes up.

Oops...!

Mmh...

Are you awake now?

Yes. I had a really nice, soothing dream.

That's good.

Ah ha ha...You surprised me too, falling asleep like that.

Um...was I leaning on you the... whole time?

Yeah.

Eep! Oh, now I'm embarrassed! So you, um...saw me while I was asleep then...?

Clorica, every single person in this town has seen you while you sleep. You have frequently fallen asleep while in mid-conversation with me. This is something you should have long since come to terms with.

Yeah.

Eep!! I hope I didn't have my mouth hanging open. I-I didn't snore, did I? Did I mumble anything incoherent? Oh, I so hope I didn't...!

Again, these are all things everybody is used to from you.

Um… Clorica?

I'm so sorry! A-anyway, I need to get back to work. See you later!

Okay. See you.

This mostly just goes to show that Art is becoming absurdly popular with the local eligible womenfolk. I could start dating another girl, but I don’t really know if I want to. Maybe I’ll put it up to a vote.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 26, 2017

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Giant Assholes From Giant Assholes

Okay! Finally done screwing around! Well, no, not at all, there are so many fun ways to screw around in this game when I should be progressing, but at least in the short term we are going to do the second half of Sechs Territory. No festivals, no interesting diversions, just me, some beautiful but very dangerous women, and the most powerful old man in the world. Well, maybe a couple last diversions.

Magic Plant Shields, same general mechanics as Plant Swords. I’m fairly certain this is as bad as it gets. Still useless to me until I unlock the ability to use shields with fist weapons (during the last dungeon).

Somebody earlier asked about cultivating colored grasses in your field. Really and honestly, no, no you can’t. But you sorta can. Colored grasses will rarely appear in your field like weeds, I think locked off by story progression so you don’t get access to stuff from later areas. It’s so rare as to be hopelessly unreliable though.

Which means that if you don’t want to run all over creation picking up grass every day, the only alternative is fighting this guy every day and looting his cave full of grass.

Well that’s said and done. An interesting side note is that once you unlock sword seeds in the shop (and shield seeds), they’ll start randomly dropping off defeated bosses. It’s not really useful, but it’s interesting, and a mechanic I wish they’d played around with more.

Fishing contest, woo.

I can safely skip this one.

Today’s major diversion is a giant field dungeon. Just like regular crops, you can grow four field dungeons in a square and dose them with giantizer to make one big dungeon. The monsters are tougher and the dungeon is deeper.

It’s still not very challenging.

Love potions should be a creepy ethical dilemma. They aren’t, but they should be. They even work on Ventuswill, so they’re damned potent.

It’s definitely a higher value treasure than most of the garbage this dungeon spits out.

Greater Demon is always the final boss, he was on level 8 this time.

I’ve been annoyed with my lack of storage recently, so I’m finally picking up some more furniture. A weapon rack, obviously, holds weapons. I tend to keep a dozen or so extra weapons around but never actually bother using them and giving them to NPCs, so having this on hand is damned useful.

The double bed stores more people than the single bed. Why would I need a bed that holds more than one? I’ll tell you when you’re older.

The Tool Box is the same, but with tools. That includes seeds and chemicals, I’ll have this full in no time.

I immediately bought several size increase orders for.

I put on my rosary and jumped back into the field dungeon. The only real reason to run the field dungeons is for gathering treasure, and you don’t get any treasure chests when running it with the rosary (since the maze gets skipped), so this was kinda pointless.

Eight levels of teleport in, walk one room, kill a miniboss, and move to next level.

I didn’t actually mean to come here and do this yet, I accidentally walked into this fight while I was gathering white grass. But as long as I’m here anyway…

But we can't let you go any farther, you understand.

Lord Ethelberd is furious enough as it is.

Your destiny ends here!

Heheh... I have a secret plan this time. Check it out! I've borrowed a Rune Sphere from Lord Ethelberd! With this... we can wield the ancient magic used by the Earthmates !

I-it's fine!As long as we win, it'll still be plenty secret!

Feel free to insert your own Dragonball or Digimon joke here. I couldn’t pick just one

Neutral Solider got turned into the Sechs Sorcerer, on the right.

Serious Soldier is the Sechs Dragon in the middle.

And Lazy Soldier is the Sechs Cat on the right.

Let's do this!

Technically, this should be a tough fight. These monsters are all from the next dungeon. Even though they’re lower level than that. But between being overleveled, having drat fine equipment, and a well-built party, I got this.

My party, like theirs, has two melee and a caster. But mine are better.

Well, that was easy.

And then there was lightning.

Hmph!

Ooogh...

Still alive, Earthmate ? I must say, you're impressive. After all, you managed to defeat the Native Dragons...even if they were just copies. ...Art.

Yeah, having so many questions is probably the proper response to this monologue. As I often do with interesting choices, I’ll show the results of all three questions here.

Mwa ha ha... I've always been after the Rune Spheres you possess.

Mwa ha ha... The fruits of my extensive research, you see!

Mwa ha ha... My power, granted to me by the Rune Spheres .

Come follow me, and I shall show you something most interesting. As an Earthmate, I'm sure you'd rather enjoy the sight.

Well gently caress. Guess it’s time to do exactly what the villain wants. Ethelberd is good at this, the whole plot of RF1 consisted of people doing exactly what he wanted.

It’s a shame, I kinda liked them too. Wish they had names.

The whole first half of this dungeon was designed to pull the switches on either side here, in order to open this path. What’s beyond it?

A cave! Another choice between left or right. I’ll take the left hole.

Well. This is a fine kettle of fish.

What? A dead-end?! There seems to be air flowing in here from somewhere, though...

Somewhere, there's a wall we can pass through. Pico! Find it for us!

"Uhh, except I can pass through every wall, so what help will I be?"

Figures. The one time we could really use your help, and you're no help at all.

That is kinda harsh. We should be putting Pico to better use though. She can fly, pass through walls, and become invisible. Those are incredibly useful skills.

"Oof! Dolly, why do you have to be so cold to me all the time?"

So, employing the time honored tradition of walking into walls until I found the one that I could walk through.

It worked eventually.

But then there’s the real gimmick mechanic of this dungeon. Walls that only appear when you get close. Sadly, despite my best efforts, there doesn’t seem to be a way to get past them before they spawn. You have to keep following the wall until you find a spot where there’s an opening.

It can be kind of difficult sometimes.

The cave is only a few rooms long, thankfully, but the invisible walls will continue on.

It’s harder to do while dodging shots from monsters I can’t get to to hit back.

Huh, what an odd statue. What’s your story statue?

What does it mean? It means come back when I have a wife and kid.

At long last, the Emperor. Nowhere left for him to run, it’s time to beat up an old man!

Haha... You've come, Art.

Art would be more likely to just demand the Spheres, but I’m more interested in his plan. Although his response is the same either way.

Feh! It would do you well to relax. I will show you something interesting, as promised. You should feel honored! For you're about to witness a sensation beyond the comprehension of ordinary mortals.

Been there, seen that. Several times, even.

This dragon is dull. Ordinary. But I happen to have part of a Native Dragon on hand. ...Behold!

It’s blue… and a fin… oh Ventuswill drat it, it’s loving Aquaticus. I hate that rear end in a top hat.

I see that you’ve just pulled a giant rear end in a top hat dragon out of your giant rear end in a top hat.

You cast Omni-Gate, a spell Art has already proven to be able to cast. Then you cast Etherlink, which Art himself hasn’t been able to cast, but other Earthmates have in the past. The only difficult part of this seems to be getting Native Dragon body parts to use.

Also, your clone dragons kinda suck.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Now... Let the show begin!

Aquameleon is more difficult than the other dragon clones because he can fly, and tends to fly out around the edges where I can’t hit him. He throws beams of water around, and summons glowing balls that also shoot water beams.

Still not a difficult fight. I kinda wish there was a difficulty mode where enemies scale to your level. Or that I could have turned off experience gain (this is an option, but not until the end of this story arc, by which point I won’t want to do it anymore).

You've even defeated the Native Dragons I created... But that just makes things more interesting! Come.

It’s a very nice airship, I guess.

Mwa ha ha... I've prepared a perfect setting for you, Art. I'll be waiting high above the clouds! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Doug’s here now! When the hell did that happen?

Doug!

Fail.

Don't touch me with your filthy hands, wretched dwarf!

Da...mn...

How unpleasant. I'll be waiting with the walls of my Floating Empire, Earthmate . Of course... Your invitation is quite mandatory. Come of your own volition, or I'll make you come without it.

Wh-what does that mean?!

You'll find out soon enough.

I think he might be crazy.

Exeunt Ethelberd, pursued by his inner demons.

Doug! Are you all right?!

I-I'm fine... And I've got something for you.

What?! A Rune Sphere ?!

Heh! I stole one from him just now. It...serves him right...

Doug can’t even manage to heal from the last time he got his rear end kicked before getting his rear end kicked again. If this was a shonen anime, he’d be the rival who always gets beat up to prove how powerful the new villain is.

I know you must feel some sense of responsibility for what happened... but you need to draw the line. We'd all be devastated if any- thing should happen to you!

Arthur’s here now! How many people are we going to cram into this little clinic?

I heard we've taken back one of the Rune Spheres .

Yes, thanks to Doug.

It would be best to place it in a Rune Spot as soon as possible... though it could be stolen again if we don't post a full security detail around it. Once the reinforcements arrive, there should be enough—

Is something happening?

Xiao Pai?

There's something in the sky! It seems best to go up to the Observatory !

Now what the hell is going on?

Just in case you thought I was joking about how many people we were packing in here.

And so a very ultimately final dungeon appeared on the world map.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Oh man, this next dungeon...

It's a step up from everything else, let me tell you from the first time I played. It's a weird sense of urgency to have an Emperor out to exterminate all Earthmates and the local god dragon mayor dying, and you can just go muck around farming and dating.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Truthkeeper posted:

Clorica, every single person in this town has seen you while you sleep. You have frequently fallen asleep while in mid-conversation with me. This is something you should have long
I think that was supposed to be 'long known'?

And while I'm nitpicking:

quote:

Again, these are all thigns everybody is used to from you.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I'm genuinely curious about what Ethelberd plans to do when you get up there. He's just so proud of his makeshift earthmate skills and the native dragon thing, but you've beaten all the dragons he's thrown at you and he still seems to think he's got you cornered. Is he gonna have an army of clone native dragons at one time and fuse his soldiers into them or what.

Truthkeeper posted:

Sure!

Oh, good! Come right this way, then.

I think you're missing an image where she asks you if you have time or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Typos and missing lines should all be fixed now.

Zagglezig posted:

I'm genuinely curious about what Ethelberd plans to do when you get up there. He's just so proud of his makeshift earthmate skills and the native dragon thing, but you've beaten all the dragons he's thrown at you and he still seems to think he's got you cornered. Is he gonna have an army of clone native dragons at one time and fuse his soldiers into them or what.

Well... it's definitely a plan. I'll go into detail when we actually reach that point, but suffice to say I have certain opinions regarding Ethelberd and his planning abilities.

• Locked thread