Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I think that 19 times per day person crosses NIMBY into mental health territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm going to guess LAX is WAAAAAAY up there. London Heathrow probably is too. Basically any large airport where planes have to go over peoples houses to land, doubly so if they are rich people.

See: Palm Springs for another example of that.

People are absolutely NUTS about trying to get Santa Monica airport shut down. I'm guessing the land underneath it is pretty valuable.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mlmp08 posted:

I think that 19 times per day person crosses NIMBY into mental health territory.

The overwhelming majority of FAA complaints come from a very small number of people who complain dozens of times per day.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

So not literal Nazis and Klansmen, then. And they don't really show up in polls, either.

There aren't a whole lot of those, either. Read the article I linked to. A lot of good stuff in there, with supporting links.

There are hundreds of thousands of right wing militiamen, neo nazis affiliated with respective organizations, and others

There's a reason why the FBI still counts these guys as the number 1 threat

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Mortabis posted:

The overwhelming majority of FAA complaints come from a very small number of people who complain dozens of times per day.

I've only seen Air Force base reports, but yes, the overwhelming majority of reports are from a very, very small group of people. I feel bad for them, because obviously these flights are not going to stop and they seem to be spending a large portion of their life in distress because of it.

They also seem to be primarily old people though, so maybe this is the most reliable source of human contact they have. Maybe that's why LAX and Palm Springs have so many complainers!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Prop Wash posted:

I've only seen Air Force base reports, but yes, the overwhelming majority of reports are from a very, very small group of people. I feel bad for them, because obviously these flights are not going to stop and they seem to be spending a large portion of their life in distress because of it.

They also seem to be primarily old people though, so maybe this is the most reliable source of human contact they have. Maybe that's why LAX and Palm Springs have so many complainers!

I think you're mistaking "in distress" for "annoyed and with enough free time to let someone else know."

I've got a neighbor who reports me to the HOA for having an "abandoned vehicle" if it doesn't move in a week. Motherfucker I've got a stupid TDI volkswagen that we took off the insurance and we're waiting for them to give us a date to hand it in. This is the reason that every Sunday I now go out and move it three spaces over.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Those concentration statistics :psyduck:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Those concentration statistics :psyduck:

Honestly I'd be surprised if it wasn't similar for a lot of things.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There's a couple airports in Canada restricted to props because the city had allowed so many people to build next to the airport and in the flight path. Toronto's Billy Bishop is the primary culprit.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 16, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I suspected SFO might be super duper high, given the approach/departure lanes and how much SFO real estate costs.

Would not surprise me if someone complained about sirens as the firefighters were running over a woman.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I've lived near an airport before. Eventually you tune it out. I could imagine if your brain didn't have that filter calling 20 times a day could seem reasonable because you will have completely cracked.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Murgos posted:

I've lived near an airport before. Eventually you tune it out. I could imagine if your brain didn't have that filter calling 20 times a day could seem reasonable because you will have completely cracked.

Eventually you can tune out F-16s taking off from the runway that's a few hundred yards from your hooch.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's weird watching artillery guys sleep through night-time howitzer fire missions like nothings going on, when the howitzers are 200 feet away.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The difference is that those are soldiers who's options are "stfu" "deal with it" and "harden up." It's amazing what you will put up with when you don't have the expectation that a sternly worded letter to the HOA or city council will lead to the smallest annoyance in your life being papered over.

edit: the reverse is also true. If you expect the world to be re-made to better suit you at every given turn even the most minor of inconvenience becomes a federal matter. Perhaps literally, depending on how privileged and connected you are.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

The difference is that those are soldiers who's options are "stfu" "deal with it" and "harden up." It's amazing what you will put up with when you don't have the expectation that a sternly worded letter to the HOA or city council will lead to the smallest annoyance in your life being papered over.

On the other hand there's, you know, the 40 years of Marines and dependents being poisoned at Camp Lejeune.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

On the other hand there's, you know, the 40 years of Marines and dependents being poisoned at Camp Lejeune.

Isn't Lejeune the one that they just admitted was poisoning people for 40 years?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Phanatic posted:

Eventually you can tune out F-16s taking off from the runway that's a few hundred yards from your hooch.

mlmp08 posted:

It's weird watching artillery guys sleep through night-time howitzer fire missions like nothings going on, when the howitzers are 200 feet away.
Maybe they can consciously tune it out, but I would bet that type of noise still causes issues long-term with increased stress levels or something similar. Kind of how some people consciously think they're perfectly fine multi-tasking on 5 things at once but they're measurably less efficient than if they would do the tasks sequentially.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Cyrano4747 posted:

Isn't Lejeune the one that they just admitted was poisoning people for 40 years?

Yep.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's a couple airports in Canada restricted to props because the city had allowed so many people to build next to the airport and in the flight path. Toronto's Billy Bishop is the primary culprit.

Real estate bubbles cause that sorta poo poo. Actually, is there any other prop-restricted airports in Canada thanks to NIMBY rather than prudence?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The CO one really kinda blows my mind, 30 miles from the airport is not close. They must live somewhere at higher altitude than the airport and literally RIGHT on the flight path. Just, uh, move like a few hundred yards away.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think you're mistaking "in distress" for "annoyed and with enough free time to let someone else know."

I've got a neighbor who reports me to the HOA for having an "abandoned vehicle" if it doesn't move in a week. Motherfucker I've got a stupid TDI volkswagen that we took off the insurance and we're waiting for them to give us a date to hand it in. This is the reason that every Sunday I now go out and move it three spaces over.

Totally not the case for most, you're right, I'm just thinking of one person in particular. People with mental illnesses don't always have a lot of options to tune it out or move elsewhere.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Murgos posted:

Yeah, it's a weird doctrine politically. You guys are so good we can't fight you straight up so, if we get in a fight we will have to nuke you.

That's not brinksmanship or even a real tenable philosophy thats just slapping your dick on the table.

The dickslap is a hallmark of feudalism and strongman authoritarianism, so... yeah, welcome to 2017. (And the entirety of Russian history.)

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah but it's not realistic. If Russia puts themselves at odds with a peer and pulls out a tac nuke the entire international community is going to jump down their throat. Not just NATO, but China and India and every other globally interested party is going to want to nip that in the bud right quick.

The penalty for letting Russia (or anyone) muscle off all responsibility for actions like that would just be too steep.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

mlmp08 posted:

Now I'm trying to figure out which airports experience the highest incidence of complaints about noise.

This one dude has complained about DCA 6,500 times. https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/01/former-astronaut-files-1000s-of-noise-complaints-against-reagan-national/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Murgos posted:

Yeah but it's not realistic. If Russia puts themselves at odds with a peer and pulls out a tac nuke the entire international community is going to jump down their throat. Not just NATO, but China and India and every other globally interested party is going to want to nip that in the bud right quick.

The penalty for letting Russia (or anyone) muscle off all responsibility for actions like that would just be too steep.

Well they can just continue to invade neighboring nations where the international response will be

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Why don't we make fighter jets that have rearward firing missiles to clear your tail should the need arise?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Because front-launched missiles can already have "over the shoulder" capability.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

_firehawk posted:

Why don't we make fighter jets that have rearward firing missiles to clear your tail should the need arise?

Because at that point you're already hosed and it's not worth the weight to carry missiles that are useless unless someone's behind you.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

_firehawk posted:

Its hard to train pilots to think in Russian.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Hub Cat posted:

That was a flare not a missile

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Maybe when we can install energy weapons it may be beneficial to take out an enemy missile.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

_firehawk posted:

Maybe when we can install energy weapons it may be beneficial to take out an enemy missile.

This is why they canceled the YAL-1, the eye was in the wrong spot.

Also they have that for countering IR seekers on commercial planes. Heres one example of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_Guardian

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Hub Cat posted:

Reminds me, there's an old Israeli joke dating to 1967 (or maybe the Suez) that runs like this:

Q: How many gears are on an Egyptian tank?
A: Four. Three in reverse and one in forward.
Q: Why the one in forward?
A: In case they get attacked from behind.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

This is why they canceled the YAL-1, the eye was in the wrong spot.

Also they have that for countering IR seekers on commercial planes. Heres one example of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_Guardian

DIRCM's on a lot more than commercial planes.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

_firehawk posted:

We're just now getting to the point where "defensive missiles" or whatever you want to call them might be technologically viable. The big limiting factors were cost of the guidance system and miniaturization, but there's been some fairly significant advances in both over the last 5 years or so and this very old idea is getting some traction again. It is most practical right now on helicopters - the interception speeds are a lot slower and it is a lot easier to mount things on a helicopter - but depending on how some tech demos go over the next several years you might see some money put towards active kill systems on fixed wing aircraft.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

bewbies posted:

We're just now getting to the point where "defensive missiles" or whatever you want to call them might be technologically viable. The big limiting factors were cost of the guidance system and miniaturization, but there's been some fairly significant advances in both over the last 5 years or so and this very old idea is getting some traction again. It is most practical right now on helicopters - the interception speeds are a lot slower and it is a lot easier to mount things on a helicopter - but depending on how some tech demos go over the next several years you might see some money put towards active kill systems on fixed wing aircraft.

Then after that, missiles will need missiles to defend themselves against defensive missiles.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MrChips posted:

Then after that, missiles will need missiles to defend themselves against defensive missiles.

Missiles fitted with missile-to-missile missiles.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
In a traditional sense, rearward facing missiles would require rearward facing radar, or be IR guided. Once IR seekers became advanced enough to not depend on "hot spot" exhaust gasses (limiting options for a nose on shot on the offensive plane) there was no guarantee that the attacker was going to be exactly on the defenders "six" or sitting in the field of view of a rear facing missile. There is also the issue that a rear firing missile may be at a kinematic disadvantage against an attacker's missiles, depending on the situation. Overall, it had typically been better for survivability to spend your resources to prevent the opponent from gaining such an advantage that rear firing missiles came into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The kinematics are a huge problem.

Edit: The whole thing is basically a solution to a non-problem in 99.99% of BVR situations anyway. Getting into a tailchase at anything but really close range makes getting a missile kill a lot more difficult.