Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I can't change how people feel and its unfortunate many of you feel that way. I was just countering the assertion that "nobody here is threatened by the game". There clearly is some bad blood here.

Some people feel like their decision to get a refund or the opinions they've made many posts on for years will be invalidated if anything even remotely positive comes out of the star citizen community. Its a classic sunk cost fallacy.

Its why we get so many kneejerk posts. Like someone posts a tweet "Star Citizen is shaping up to be a great game" and like 3 people trip over themselves to say "its not a game smug"

hehe yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/821161463888957442

There's confirmation of this out there but like last time not linking it, not even if moma wants to bet on it this time. Also not mentioning his name as shitizens going to be real mad at the number of people leaving.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fain80 posted:

I have finally decided that I am done with this game. As of now, four years in, this community still gets by on wishes, rainbows, and fairy dust. This "game" only exists in our minds as we envision swooping over a planet in our massive idrisses and picture epic corridor to corridor gunfights, capital ships blasting away at each other with swarms of fighters buzzing in between and engineers making emergency repairs.

All of that is our imagination at work. Look at what we actually have. A bunch of small tech demos that still break frequently and haven't been significantly advanced in over a year. We have a substandard FPS module that, while a great first attempt, is not indicative of mechanics that should be pretty much wrapped up at this point for the single player game. Some of the wins that have been celebrated are tiny. Glass that breaks? Flashy glowing pickup icons in arena commander? Wow, color me impressed!

The ship sales have led to bait and switch after bait and switch as ships are nerfed or redesigned before they ever come out. We have marketing tactics that would make EA' blush with embarrassment and we've had some of the worst live streams I have ever seen over the past few months. We have what is basically hundreds and thousands of dollars worth of DLC ships that are going to jack up game balance to all hell when this thing finally comes out.

At this point, who knows if SQ42 even exists? Why is it so difficult to show us the game? 4 years into development the project shouldn't even remotely feel like it may be a sham but this game continues to have an off putting stink to it. When delays happen for the PU it's because they were working on SQ42, when they happen for SQ42 it's because of the PU.

I hope that this game winds up being great but I think it's a pipe dream. For everyone here who pumped at least a thousand dollars into this dream I hope it comes out and you feel like you've gotten your money's worth but I'm done with this sham.

Good farewell post, friend. I honestly hope CIG is aware of it because it signifies exactly what their problems are and what the reaction to them will inevitably be.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

There's confirmation of this out there but like last time not linking it, not even if moma wants to bet on it this time. Also don't mention the guys name as shitizens going to be real mad at the number of people leaving.

MoMA already knows, why do you think he was so antsy today

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

5 pm in LA. No weekly schedule yet. :toot:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

AP posted:

There's confirmation of this out there but like last time not linking it, not even if moma wants to bet on it this time. Also not mentioning his name as shitizens going to be real mad at the number of people leaving.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/821163217212870657

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/821085870103019521

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 17, 2017

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Fain80 posted:

And....

I am out of this poo poo show.

My farewell post:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/365712/disappointed/p4

Holy Christ it feels great! It's like a huge burden has been lifted.

:shepspends:

Holy poo poo, congratulations for clawing your money back from Clown Stimpirium. Their lack of respect toward trusting customers is incredibly funny when you don't have any money sunk into this mess.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Welcoming Committee

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 17, 2017

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I love how many 'rational' backers think this is a valid concern, and not something that a toxic backer would demand.
This is just entitled backer mentality in thinking that they deserve a PC exclusive.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

alphabettitouretti posted:

Traditionally the title of consultant in this context is code for "we booted them out and wanted nothing more to do with them but didn't want to just come out and say it because it might look bad and we still need to make a profit".
Yeah, if a senior member of management transitions to a consultant role when the company is bought all that's happened is they've been fired with an agreement that the new owners will pay them on an ad hoc basis to respond to questions about how things work/where the documentation is because the business is such a loving mess in the first place.

Derek I hope you have your SPF1 on for that burn.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nah - Smarty doesn't win. I just rustle his Jimmies every now and then to keep his old man ticker going. It's all in good fun. But yeah, he's not right - ever.

Oh look, a complete back-down from the argument he started and a puppet-master defense. I'm not sure Derek Smart will ever be able to recover from being slapped on the shoulder by a wet newspaper, but it's definitely cured my insomnia.

Aw, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to him.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

Derek I hope you have your SPF1 on for that burn.

LOL! yeah, I know that guy. He's hilarious. :D

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

And suddenly Star Citizen is good!

Is that how it works? :confused:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Yes, but what exactly does that tell us about Star Citizen?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

That guy is totally retarded. Him and the moron who took the video of an external view camera, while trying to pass it off as a control camera. They backed Star Citizen. So it makes plenty of sense.

These retards are the reason that I disabled that camera less than two updates later. Trying to fly an aircraft using a 3pp view camera is like wearing your pants inside out, then screaming when your dick gets caught in a zipper.

I hate when that happens! :argh:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ManofManyAliases posted:

You're reading it backwards. The assumption is that the business will continue to exist in the next year, and that the financials have been prepared and signed to reflect this (without any material misstatements or uncertainties that would cast doubt on this premise). In this case, the auditor agrees with the directors' assessment and offers the opinion as "unqualified," meaning no modifications to this decision in the auditor's report. If you do not make this assessment, then why even continue to present financials? That's what this means.

Ironclad financials.
- Toast, junior legal counsel.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Wuxi posted:

Yes, but what exactly does that tell us about Star Citizen?

Squat.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I like you :)

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Is he training his replacement?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I like the rest of you too, btw. No need to feel excluded

Even you Arf

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Tokamak posted:

Ironclad financials.
- Toast, junior legal counsel.

It's always amazing when someone pretends to be an expert of or employed in a field they're blatantly incompetent in.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's always amazing when someone pretends to be an expert of or employed in a field they're blatantly incompetent in.

I'm not a lawyer, but I play watch one on TV

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MoMA, for all us laypersons out here struggling to understand, how does proving the Battlecruiser games are bad make Star Citizen better?

Nobody here likes it (or at least it's not said anywhere). Nobody is fighting to say they're awesome. Not even Derek himself is saying they're the best games ever developed.

But it doesn't matter, because he paid for it. It's like if your neighbor built a house on his own and it sucks. You contracted your house to builders, and when the roof leaks on your contractor built house, pointing to your neighbors crappy house and saying "Well his house sure sucks!" doesn't make your roof suddenly fixed.

Please. Tell me the logic behind it! I'd love to get into your mind and see your perspective!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

AP posted:

Filthy leavers

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

:smuggo:

I also like to pretend something isn't hosed until it isn't hosed, generally doesn't work.

:smuggo:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

When can we cease labeling ourselves as hyphenated Americans? posted:

December 28, 2014

The continuing and ever widening racial divide in the U.S., promoted by the hate mongers who would not otherwise have a purpose, could be repaired if people thought of themselves as simply "Americans" instead of allowing themselves to be segregated by being labeled as "[insert ethnic group here] "hyphen"Americans". How many of us were actually not born here, recent immigrants aside? I can consider myself a native-American, because that is indeed my heritage - indigenous peoples, but most Irish/Polish/Greek/African/etc-Americans were not born in their country of heritage. Better to have people accept us as we really are - firstly, an American, and, if one absolutely has to be reminded, secondly, of whatever heritage they claim.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Let me just put this black text on a black and white photo. My choice of a profession with an emphasis on light and contrast was definitely a good decision.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Good thing they have 140 million rupees.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Good thing they had 140 million rupees.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Still just a lowly fleet member? You'd think that after x years, (s?)he'd have been able to move up the ranks a bit.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Is this the ELE?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have the link to the interview / article where Chris said there wasn't enough money to burn to keep this train wreck going?

Asking for a friend.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

CubicalSucrose posted:

Still just a lowly fleet member? You'd think that after x years, (s?)he'd have been able to move up the ranks a bit.

Imperium Member
Donator Monthly - $25-99

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/15673-This-Week-In-Star-Citizen

quote:

This Tuesday also brings with us a special treat: another Subscriber’s Town Hall, this time focused on the Persistent Universe with special guests Chris Roberts, Erin Roberts, Tony Zurovec and Todd Papy. Due to the scheduling of our 2017 summits, this edition will be pre-taped with questions collected from our Subscriber’s Den last week, so don’t miss your next chance to hear many of the latest updates on our Persistent Universe development.

I suspect this is going to be when they formally push back 3.0 and announce 2.7. Hold on to your butts.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

no_recall posted:

Does anyone have the link to the interview / article where Chris said there wasn't enough money to burn to keep this train wreck going?

Asking for a friend.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5nx7qk/gamestar_article_google_translated/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fain80 posted:

And....

I am out of this poo poo show.

My farewell post:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/365712/disappointed/p4

Holy Christ it feels great! It's like a huge burden has been lifted.

That was so awesome I had to share it with a NON-Citizen buddy (who will never be a Citizen since) I regale with CIG stories.