Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

moonsour posted:

Also is a "confession of judgement" still something that happens?

Yes.
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%22confession+of+judgment%22&hl=en&as_sdt=8000006&as_ylo=2010&as_yhi=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

in some states your city may not even exist

Your city contains substances known to the state of California to cause cancer

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there ever a case where a client would be well-advised to lie to their lawyer, assuming the lawyer follows all applicable laws and bar association rules?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

baquerd posted:

Is there ever a case where a client would be well-advised to lie to their lawyer, assuming the lawyer follows all applicable laws and bar association rules?

If you were planning to do more illegal stuff, especially as a part of your case.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any examples of subpoenaing records from email providers (particularly Google)? Court decisions I can read from are fine.

I don't live or work in the US but we're looking at maybe eventually trying to get emails from the defendant's Gmail account on a civil liability case, and while obviously that will have to be handled by US lawyers, I'd like to read up a bit on what it would take or even if it would be possible.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

One of the "fun" ethics questions for attorneys is when a criminal defendant tells their lawyer they want to take the stand and lie in their own defense. On the one hand, a lawyer is ethically required to offer their client up as a witness if their client desires. On the other hand, a lawyer is ethically prohibited from presenting evidence or testimony he knows to be false. (suborning perjury.)

He can't refuse to offer his client, and he can't tell the Court, "my client is about to lie so don't get mad at me." because that would be a breach of the attorney-client privilege.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Does anyone have any examples of subpoenaing records from email providers (particularly Google)? Court decisions I can read from are fine.

I don't live or work in the US but we're looking at maybe eventually trying to get emails from the defendant's Gmail account on a civil liability case, and while obviously that will have to be handled by US lawyers, I'd like to read up a bit on what it would take or even if it would be possible.

You just send the subpoena.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

You just send the subpoena.

I guess I had the idea that Google would fight it as a general rule on grounds of confidentiality, privacy, and just to not generate a precedent of acquiescing to government requests.

That happens down here, but then again judicial decisions can/must be appealed to a superior court before they're enforceable which I guess doesn't happen in the US.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Google/Facebook/etc will usually comply with a subpoena. They might fight it in this case, if you're subpoenaing them for something that the other party in the suit could provide, in which case you should subpoena them, and have them get it. Facebook at least has done so in the past, I forget the outcome.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

blarzgh posted:

One of the "fun" ethics questions for attorneys is when a criminal defendant tells their lawyer they want to take the stand and lie in their own defense. On the one hand, a lawyer is ethically required to offer their client up as a witness if their client desires. On the other hand, a lawyer is ethically prohibited from presenting evidence or testimony he knows to be false. (suborning perjury.)

He can't refuse to offer his client, and he can't tell the Court, "my client is about to lie so don't get mad at me." because that would be a breach of the attorney-client privilege.

The "solution" to this that they offer, to have your client testify in the narrative form, basically telegraphs that it's all BS

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

The "solution" to this that they offer, to have your client testify in the narrative form, basically telegraphs that it's all BS

I think it varies from state to state, irritatingly, but yeah there is a standard form for this. "Is there anything else you'd like to tell the jury" or something similar, because you can't be a part of eliciting the testimony.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
And of course that 'solution' is fraught with issues as well, because in addition to basically telling the judge and prosecutor ,"my client is about to lie his rear end off." when you ask them, "is there anything else you want to say?" you already know what they're about to say, so you know you're eliciting false testimony.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Subjunctive posted:

Google/Facebook/etc will usually comply with a subpoena. They might fight it in this case, if you're subpoenaing them for something that the other party in the suit could provide, in which case you should subpoena them, and have them get it. Facebook at least has done so in the past, I forget the outcome.

Facebook at least takes the blanket position that they will not comply with civil subpoenas based on the Stored Communications Act.

https://m.facebook.com/help/133221086752707?helpref=uf_permalink

I think they're full of poo poo but in my experience they fight the subpoena and I've never had a case where the return justified the litigation Facebook is fine paying for, i.e. traveling to California to litigate a motion to quash etc.

Truthfully I think Facebook doesn't want to become public the extent of information they keep on their members. So they have this "download your account" thing which only provides the basic information and which is probably all that anyone in litigation really wants anyway.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Neither party resides or operates in the US, and I can't force the other party to present the emails, it's just not a thing here.

The way this is gonna go is that we're going to introduce our emails as evidence, and the other party will likely claim they are fake, and it's gonna be on me to prove that they are real. There's different ways to do this but in an ideal world I could just ask Google to verify they are actually real.

so the judge is gonna issue an "international subpoena" which basically will enable me to go to a US lawyer in california and have them ask a local judge to subpoena google

this ofc extremely time consuming and expensive, which is why I'm trying to get a feel on whether there's an actual chance Google will actually answer

Edit: yeah, basically I want to avoid the scenario Phil Moscowitz is describing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Facebook at least takes the blanket position that they will not comply with civil subpoenas based on the Stored Communications Act.

https://m.facebook.com/help/133221086752707?helpref=uf_permalink

I think they're full of poo poo but in my experience they fight the subpoena and I've never had a case where the return justified the litigation Facebook is fine paying for, i.e. traveling to California to litigate a motion to quash etc.

Truthfully I think Facebook doesn't want to become public the extent of information they keep on their members. So they have this "download your account" thing which only provides the basic information and which is probably all that anyone in litigation really wants anyway.

Sorry, yes, I was mixing it up with warrants.

What's missing from DYI? I know the people who maintain the tool, I'd be interested in letting them know.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

How can anyone really know whether a person is going to tell what they subjectively know to be the truth, other than them telling you (and you knowing that that is the truth) that they're going to lie?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

joat mon posted:

How can anyone really know whether a person is going to tell what they subjectively know to be the truth, other than them telling you (and you knowing that that is the truth) that they're going to lie?

Yeah, this is explicitly the case where the defendant says so, if I'm reading blarzgh's post correctly.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Right, but if the client informs you they're going to lie, they are thus establishing themselves as a liar, so how can you really be sure that they're not lying about their intent to lie, HMMMMMM?????

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
BUT WHAT IF ****FAARRRRTTTT*****

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
All I know is that I'd be asking for payment up front

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Is that not a noisy withdrawal scenario?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

You can't disclose why you're withdrawing and might not be permitted to withdraw if the judge is being obtuse that day, and that might also be an ethical violation to withdraw when your client cannot secure effective replacement representation.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Discendo Vox posted:

This almost always only happens with PDs. We don't get to withdraw.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This "profession" is garbage

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

evilweasel posted:

You can't disclose why you're withdrawing and might not be permitted to withdraw if the judge is being obtuse that day, and that might also be an ethical violation to withdraw when your client cannot secure effective replacement representation.

Sure, I'm familiar with the exceptions and drawbacks, but it seems like it's what the procedure is made for.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

evilweasel posted:

I think it varies from state to state, irritatingly, but yeah there is a standard form for this. "Is there anything else you'd like to tell the jury" or something similar, because you can't be a part of eliciting the testimony.

In some states (Texas) the attorney is obligated to narc on his client.

Comment on Rule 3.03 - Candor Towards the Tribunal posted:

11. Three resolutions of this dilemma have been proposed. One is to permit the accused to testify by a
narrative without guidance through the lawyer's questioning. This compromises both contending
principles; it exempts the lawyer from the duty to disclose false evidence but subjects the client to an
implicit disclosure of information imparted to counsel. Another suggested resolution is that the
advocate be entirely excused from the duty to reveal perjury if the perjury is that of the client. This
solution, however, makes the advocate a knowing instrument of perjury

12. The other resolution of the dilemma, and the one this Rule adopts, is that the lawyer must take
reasonable remedial measure which may include revealing the client's perjury. A criminal accused has a
right to the assistance of an advocate, a right to testify and a right of confidential communication with
counsel. However, an accused should not have a right to assistance of counsel in committing perjury.
Furthermore, an advocate has an obligation, not only in professional ethics but under the law as well, to
avoid implication in the commission of perjury or other falsification of evidence.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

GamingHyena posted:

In some states (Texas) the attorney is obligated to narc on his client.

Any decisions that have upheld such an interpretation?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Those are just the comments to the rule; we don't have to rat out our clients.

Edit: quite frankly, its all mental masturbation. You never hear about attorneys getting in trouble for it, and in practice it never seems to come up. No attorney would ever admit that he knew his client was going to lie on the stand, and no other attorney would ever investigate whether the defense attorney knew his client was going to lie on the stand, and 99% of clients either a) tell the same lie to their attorneys as they're going to tell on the stand, or b) are too dumb/smart to ignore the advice of counsel and lie anyways.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 17, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Those are just the comments to the rule; we don't have to rat out our clients.

Edit: quite frankly, its all mental masturbation. You never hear about attorneys getting in trouble for it, and in practice it never seems to come up. No attorney would ever admit that he knew his client was going to lie on the stand, and no other attorney would ever investigate whether the defense attorney knew his client was going to lie on the stand, and 99% of clients either a) tell the same lie to their attorneys as they're going to tell on the stand, or b) are too dumb/smart to ignore the advice of counsel and lie anyways.

How could you make that investigation when the evidence would all be privileged?

Oh wait it's when the client gets caught lying and is found guilty and then appeals on the basis that his lawyer was incompetent because he said he was going to lie and wasn't stopped.

e: cardinal rule drilled into me at law school: you can't narc on your client, but have a rock solid audit trail from start to finish because they will throw you in front of a bus in a heartbeat if they sense it'll save their skin.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

How could you make that investigation when the evidence would all be privileged?

Oh wait it's when the client gets caught lying and is found guilty and then appeals on the basis that his lawyer was incompetent because he said he was going to lie and wasn't stopped.

e: cardinal rule drilled into me at law school: you can't narc on your client, but have a rock solid audit trail from start to finish because they will throw you in front of a bus in a heartbeat if they sense it'll save their skin.

"Ineffective assistance of counsel can certainly manifest itself a number of ways; here, the Defendant should have been advised by his attorney not to lie about shooting the deceased. Had his attorney told him to simply tell the truth on the stand about killing the man, since the defendant demanded to testify, the the outcome at trial might have been different."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

blarzgh posted:

"Ineffective assistance of counsel can certainly manifest itself a number of ways; here, the Defendant should have been advised by his attorney not to lie about shooting the deceased. Had his attorney told him to simply tell the truth on the stand about killing the man, since the defendant demanded to testify, the the outcome at trial might have been different."

Outcome of sentence might certainly be different.

e: by which I mean the argument is 'had I had adequate advice then I would have pleaded guilty and received the benefit of a discounted sentence' and then you have hope to hell your notes are in order showing that he told you he committed the offence, that you advised him to plead guilty, and that subsequently you successfully navigated the ethical quagmire of not deceiving the court.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 17, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

I would be less concerned with the defendant winning his IAC claim and more with an idiot defendant thinking that testifying how he definitely told his lawyer he planned to lie would help with his IAC claim, starting an ethics inquiry independent of the IAC claim.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So my girlfriend's new apartment in Pennsylvania came with an unpaid electric bill. Utility company has not turned the power on yet because of the balance and won't make it out there for another 4 days, it's been 3 already.

What are her options?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Wait until tomorrow

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Wait until tomorrow

I think he means 7 days total.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
If party B signs a contract with party A, and then breaks it, but sends an email to party A saying "hey i broke the contract" is there a time that party A has to act? Is there something like acquiescence that can happen here?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

lord1234 posted:

If party B signs a contract with party A, and then breaks it, but sends an email to party A saying "hey i broke the contract" is there a time that party A has to act? Is there something like acquiescence that can happen here?

Time: 4 years to sue (statute of limitations in most jurisdictions)
Action: Acceptance of the breach by some confirming act can be a waiver in certain cases.

Simple inaction, without more, probably wouldn't be a novation, or confirmation or waiver of the breach, but honestly it depends alot on the facts.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
did she talk to the landlord?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

did she talk to the landlord?

Yeah, but strangely enough me harassing customer service via Facebook chat seems to have taken care of the problem. It'll be turned on by 8AM tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
First thread success story of 2017 only two weeks in, after what feels like a completely dry run in all of 2016.