Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I have a Lian Li case sitting around that I don't know what to do with. I'm still holding onto it because holy poo poo it is a nice case. Incredibly minimalist all around, front/side venting or intake, and a front-mounted power supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I wish they charged less for their 'desk' cases. I could give a gently caress less about the ones with motors that raise and lower the surface on cue, but the ones that can house two different systems side by side would be nice.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That new Phanteks Elite case is friggin sweet but too bad it costs like $700 :laffo:

http://phanteks.com/Enthoo-Elite.html

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Nope. That one's a bit too modern for my 2008-era nostalgia. After about half an hours Googling I found what I was thinking of: Danger Den acrylic cases. I think it was the original Torture Rack I was considering. Here's v2:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/skeleton-torture-rack,review-31683-7.html

Combat Pretzel posted:

Might have been the X48-DQ series. It had pipes all over the place. I was fixing up a friend's computer earlier today that housed my old X48-DQ6 and Q9450. When I got home I looked the receipts up in Gmail, they were from beginning of 2008. :psypop:

Bingo! First Google Image Search revealed my old board. Looking at some pictures, I'm pretty sure I had the DQ6 as well since I remember it having three heatsinks connected by two lengths of pipe. Christ, I remember that big golden box now. It was massive for a mobo box:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-ga-x48-dq6-intel-x48-socket-775-pci-express-ddr2-motherboard-mb-113-gi.html

----------------------------EDIT:

priznat posted:

That new Phanteks Elite case is friggin sweet but too bad it costs like $700 :laffo:

I really like the Phanteks cases and that one oozes minimalist charm. If I ever need to replace my R5 I think I'll go for Phanteks due to their looks. I wouldn't go as far as $700 though.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 16, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

priznat posted:

If you truly need that many 140mm fan mount spots, the Air 540/740 would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

apropos man posted:

I really like the Phanteks cases and that one oozes minimalist charm. If I ever need to replace my R5 I think I'll go for Phanteks due to their looks. I wouldn't go as far as $700 though.

Same, I really like the Phanteks, and have used the Enthoo Pros at work and they are very nice. I want them to do an Evolv mATX with tempered glass side for my next setup.

That Elite one is outta my price range too.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

And not a single one of these new hotness cases has a side panel fan mount :negative:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Whoever asked before, I don't know about literally tacking components to the wall, but if you're okay with just mounting the entire computer to the wall Lian-Li had a Micro-ATX that looked pretty fit for purpose.

Or you could get one of their trademark literal computer desks.

priznat posted:

Someone else can be the materials heavy enough to be part of a fitness plan.

I'm the designated mount points for an additional Mini-ITX computer with its own power supply. :whatup:

And it's not even their only case with that feature :magical:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/dk-03/

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I got excited and then saw that it's $1300 and got sad.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SourKraut posted:

I got excited and then saw that it's $1300 and got sad.

Join the club. :smith:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Have anyone seen kaby lake articles that explore memory speed and/or mem latency on high res gaming? I have a Acer z35 predator and a gtx 1080 but I got an z87/4670k@4.3/ddr3 1600MHz I'm wondering if I'll benefit noticeably from updating.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Supradog posted:

Have anyone seen kaby lake articles that explore memory speed and/or mem latency on high res gaming? I have a Acer z35 predator and a gtx 1080 but I got an z87/4670k@4.3/ddr3 1600MHz I'm wondering if I'll benefit noticeably from updating.

Don't even bother.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

This would be amazing for a security kiosk, the top could just be also metal instead of weaker glass

As a gaming desk, :yikes:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

but what if there is a fire and one of your arms is already filled with your cat, how will you save the computer?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lube banjo posted:

but what if there is a fire and one of your arms is already filled with your cat, how will you save the computer?

Put wheels on it so you can ride it to safety!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Lube banjo posted:

you don't need an arm for the cat, cats are self adhesive!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Supradog posted:

Minimum FPS goes up by an appreciable amount, along with average fps, iirc. Several tests comparing the 2600k to more modern hardware seem to have discovered that memory timing and clocks are beginning to matter.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Only about 8 years late to the LGA775 quadcore party, but with this P45 MSI mobo I got for $20 I can finally experience a Xeon E5450 E0 at 4 gigahurtz.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Palladium posted:

Only about 8 years late to the LGA775 quadcore party, but with this P45 MSI mobo I got for $20 I can finally experience a Xeon E5450 E0 at 4 gigahurtz.

Not going to be quite the same as 4.0Ghz of a newer chip, but still should zip with enough supporting ram/ssd's for normal task. :)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Joke's on you guys, DDR4 is going to be even cheaper in 2019 when Intel actually has a noticeably faster mainstream desktop platform. I'm riding my 2500K to its grave!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Joke's on you guys, DDR4 is going to be even cheaper in 2019 when Intel actually has a noticeably faster mainstream desktop platform. I'm riding my 2500K to its grave!

I wonder how many more 2500K/2600K's will be ran until they actually die vs any other chip? I mean really when has the CPU actually been the cause of a new system rebuild vs almost any other part around it.

Interesting for sure.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's a good question. General wisdom was that you'd have abandoned your CPU for a newer one by the time you'd kill it with overclocking. Now...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I expected more of a jump from my old i7 930 to my i5 6500. Haven't really noticed any difference outside of entirely CPU bound games.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dali Parton posted:

I expected more of a jump from my old i7 930 to my i5 6500. Haven't really noticed any difference outside of entirely CPU bound games.

What video card do you have? I got a buddy who is still using an i7 930 with a gtx970 who is finally thinking about upgrading.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

phosdex posted:

What video card do you have? I got a buddy who is still using an i7 930 with a gtx970 who is finally thinking about upgrading.

Hah. I went from a 970 to a 1060 since the former had a capacitor blow up. Didn't really notice a huge change in performance from my 970, but I hear the 1060 is like 5, maybe 10% better anyway. Then I jumped to a 1070 because the 1060 had a faulty fan. 1070 lets me max games on 1080p at 60 frames. The 1060 didn't...but it was rather close, like the marginal difference between Very High and Ultra.

I expected more from a boost coming from a 5-6 year old processor, but I guess maybe its a good thing that processors don't become obsolete nearly as fast as GPUs do. Will be honest though, some of the heavyweight games like GTAV did noticeably improve with a CPU upgrade. Ark did too, but I wouldn't count that as a benchmark.

What sort of games does he play? Id imagine it would be a worthy upgrade if he's a Sims fan, likes MMOs, or Paradox grand simulation games since those sites are especially CPU hungry.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

EdEddnEddy posted:

I wonder how many more 2500K/2600K's will be ran until they actually die vs any other chip? I mean really when has the CPU actually been the cause of a new system rebuild vs almost any other part around it.

Interesting for sure.

99% of the time the mobo will die before the CPU does, and Sandy/Ivy Z mobos are really hard to find these days at a non-ripoff price.

The good news is mobos since the C2D should be last longer than ever thanks to solid caps spam and tighter ever integration.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

EdEddnEddy posted:

Interesting for sure.

And boards dying, my z77 board starting failing to power up around the time I bought Skylake.

EFB

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dali Parton posted:

What sort of games does he play? Id imagine it would be a worthy upgrade if he's a Sims fan, likes MMOs, or Paradox grand simulation games since those sites are especially CPU hungry.

He plays kerbal and killing floor 2.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

phosdex posted:

He plays kerbal and killing floor 2.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/39487-cpu-performance-database/

It's difficult to read but from the looks of it there Nehalem and Haswell i7 perform almost the same.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

And boards dying, my z77 board starting failing to power up around the time I bought Skylake.

My P67 started struggling to cold-boot about a year ago, but to this day it always works on the second try. Guess I'm taking this 2500k to my grave :shrug:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I'm running my z77 system at stock. I had my 3770k clocked to 4.5 for a week or two, then brought it back down again. No idea if this makes a difference to motherboard wear 'n tear but I'm not hardcore gaming anyway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

With ~25% of 76/7700Ks making 5Ghz, I really wonder what Kaby-X's 'secret sauce' is going to be - 5Ghz native plus Sky-X's PCIe lanes?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
2500K at 4.4 in an ASUS P8Z68-V LX for 5 years now, and never a problem except when I tried to go higher. I hope Skylake-E and Ryzen bring some options for serious upgrades without spending a mint, but I'm excited to see how far this one will go.

Honestly, I imagine a lot of machines treated well will last a long time. My gaming desktop from 2004 still works great, and not long ago I recycled a P3-1GHz machine that still worked fine because virtually no current OS will install on it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Crossposting from the overclock thread since this one's a bit more active.

I overclocked my 6600k to 4.6GHz using an offset a few months ago and everything has been fine so far, but I opened HWMonitor out of curiosity today and noticed that it's showing my CPU frequency at 4.6GHz at idle even though the VCore is dropping and CPU-Z is doing the same. I already checked to make sure that I'm still using an offset and have C States and EIST enabled. I've updated my BIOS and reapplied my overclock settings and it hasn't fixed it. I'm also using the newest version of both programs and I last checked a few weeks ago and everything was working properly so I don't know what's going on. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

e: I figured it out. Windows Power Management option was set to High Performance for some reason. Changing it to Balanced fixed it.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 17, 2017

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With ~25% of 76/7700Ks making 5Ghz, I really wonder what Kaby-X's 'secret sauce' is going to be - 5Ghz native plus Sky-X's PCIe lanes?

Where did you get 25% from? SiliconLottery is quoting 62% for 7700K's.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

Where did you get 25% from? SiliconLottery is quoting 62% for 7700K's.

I'd heard one in four, but okay.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
http://www.techspot.com/article/1313-intel-q6600-ten-years-later/

Q6600 gets creamed by games today even when OCed, but the real star is Skylake 2C/4T which is now priced at $64. Hyperthreading scales hilariously well on 2 cores.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Regrettable posted:

e: I figured it out. Windows Power Management option was set to High Performance for some reason. Changing it to Balanced fixed it.

Do you use SteamVR? I find that launching SteamVR can set the system power settings to High Performance, which is kind of irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

Do you use SteamVR? I find that launching SteamVR can set the system power settings to High Performance, which is kind of irritating.

I do not and I haven't figured out what did it yet.