Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I don't think there are any black people in Abbotsford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

well, once a year, there's zwarte piet

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I truly hope that isn't the case here. I suppose it'd be understandable to be a little gun-shy after the Vader sentencing debacle. (Or, really, the whole case, which was shambolic.)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 9, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So this jackass Jason Kenney supporter got suspended from the PC party in Alberta for some kind of Twitter bullshit, but all is not lost: the Kenney Youth will happily climb his cock mouth-first, and Kenney the Hutt will chuckle approvingly.

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/821149666809036800

Seriously though, how did Kenney get so gross looking?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im starting to panic that Trudeau is going to gently caress up so bad that we end up with PM Kellie Leitch in 2019.

I dont think even weed can save us from that future.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

Well he sucks a tremendous amount of dick in return for money, so I imagine the protein overload on top of whatever lavish meals he's buying is probably bad for the metabolism. :shrug:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

So this jackass Jason Kenney supporter got suspended from the PC party in Alberta for some kind of Twitter bullshit, but all is not lost: the Kenney Youth will happily climb his cock mouth-first, and Kenney the Hutt will chuckle approvingly.

I'm watching this now. If O'Leary can't out debate a 14 year old anti-GMO activist, I might have to renounce my support for him.

https://twitter.com/acoyne/status/821179353002295296

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I'm watching this now. If O'Leary can't out debate a 14 year old anti-GMO activist, I might have to renounce my support for him.

Over GMO, no less. Possibly the easiest concept to support if you're a bleeding heart, against the 3rd world starving to death.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

https://twitter.com/acoyne/status/821179353002295296

Between this bald fuckface and the muppet-voiced Trump-lite lady, I'm not sure how the Cons could scrape the bottom of the barrel even more. Is Bernier any good at debating or speaking?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You don't need to know how to debate to win elections you guys

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tighclops posted:

Didnt Trudeau only have one good debate?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Over GMO, no less. Possibly the easiest concept to support if you're a bleeding heart, against the 3rd world starving to death.

I don't know what Andrew Coyne's problem is, I thought he did pretty well considering he was arguing with essentially a child. I don't think I would have been able to maintain that kind of composure. He could have just destroyed her at "Should we be messing with mother nature?" and she finished on a contradiction "I'd be fine with it if we proved it safe... I'll never ever change my position". He would have looked bad if he made her cry too though. I don't see him "getting owned", usually I agree with Coyne what is happening.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Takes a real big man to talk down to a 14 year old girl on national TV.

Takes a giant idiot to decide to do that and look still end up looking like a dickhead while doing it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tighclops posted:

Oh, nonsense, I remember when, in the US, the highly qualified woman debated the orange fuckwit and destroyed him in three consecutive debates and then...

Oh, bother.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Furnaceface posted:

Didnt Trudeau only have one good debate?

Look, after you beat the poo poo out of a native guy with mental health/substance abuse issues, what more do you need to prove to Canadians to show you deserve to be in charge?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 9, 2022

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

THC posted:

Places that rent cheap are torn down and replaced by places that rent for more money. Most people can't afford them. That is a thing that happens

Coincidentally an article about this issue was written just a few days ago.

quote:

Vancouver affordability being torn down

Vancouver has lost more than 400 units of affordable older stock housing to redevelopment over the past seven years.

And even with the renter displacement protections offered by city hall, those given the boot can expect rents of newer buildings to be far higher than what they’ve paid previously.

Data provided by the City of Vancouver through the freedom of information process reveals 49 properties were given demolition permits between January 2008 and August 2015.

In all, they represent 430 units of some of the cheapest rental stock in the city. In Vancouver, rental properties built before 1989 are on average 30% cheaper than new buildings built after 2005, according to the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

“Usually older buildings, not only just the depreciation that’s taken place, but also the location of some of these units may be less desirable,” said Richard Sam, principal market analyst with CMHC.

“When you have newer units you are looking at modern fixtures, newer locations, over time things evolve with transportation routes and public transport. New units have very close to condo-like amenities. The demand for those just seem to be much higher and probably the cost to build those units are much higher than the past.”

CMHC data shows the average price of a post-2005 rental building in Vancouver is $1,674. The average monthly rent of one built before 1989 is $1,187.

With the exception of a single building built in 1990, none of the 49 demolished buildings were built after 1975. Five are more than a century old, according to data provided by BC Assessment.

“The older the building the less the rental rate is. The walk-ups or whatever that are 50 years old, they’re generating $1.75 to $2 (of monthly rent) per square foot,” said Les Twarog, a Realtor with RE/MAX Crest Realty Westside who has compiled data on more than 17,000 rental and strata properties in the region.

“The newer buildings and again in Vancouver, Elan, 1255 Seymour, would get about $2.50 a foot. The newer, higher buildings like 1483 Richards would get $2.75 to $3 per foot.

“High end buildings like Shangrila — 1111 Alberni or 1128 W. Georgia — would get $3.50 per foot. Furnished would get $5 per foot.”

While the city’s data does not break down which demolished buildings are strata and which are rental properties, the vast majority of those demolished are likely rentals, Twarog said.

That’s because demolishing strata properties requires redevelopers to buy out each unit owner. Rental apartments are comparatively easier to tear down, particularly if the property has fewer than six units.

Any more and Vancouver City Hall’s official development plan requires builders to replace the same amount of rental units at the new building in a “one-for-one” process, the city said in a statement.

Among the demolished properties, 27 of the 49 buildings had fewer than six units, which means developers did not have to replace the rental stock.

The seven years worth of demolitions are but a snippet of the lost older rental stock in the region. CMHC has records of the age and quantity of rental units in Vancouver dating back to 1990. These records show from that time, Vancouverites have lost 4,448 units of rental housing built before 1999.

Meanwhile, 4,550 of the new, more expensive units built after 2000 have sprung up.

Despite the loss of older, affordable rental stock, experts like Metro Vancouver senior housing planner Margaret Eberle believe the best solution is to increase the supply until the price balances out.

“We have a very low vacancy rate (0.6% as of October 2015) ... the thrust of the regional affordable housing strategy is to increase the supply and that would relieve some of the pressure on the rental housing stock,” she said.

“We started to see some new development, which is great, and we also see some municipalities adopting tenant-relocation strategies to help in terms of moving costs and notice for eviction.”

These protections, at least those recently adopted in Vancouver, will require landlords to pay tenants two months rent and moving expenses upon eviction, starting on Feb. 15.

For renters like Amanda Stewart, however, the waiting game for more supply to show up simply isn’t working.

“I’ve been looking for 18 months ... I do work full time, but with a car payment and bills and gas and stuff I can’t afford more than $800 a month,” said the Surrey resident, who aims to move to Vancouver to be closer to her job.

“I found a couple of older buildings on Main and say 24th Avenue and some of them still wanted $1,300-1,400 per month ... I haven’t given up — I keep putting out an ad every month.”

I don't know what sort of tools the city has available to prevent this sort of redevelopment. It would essentially be a moratorium on redevelopment of any residential land. They could do what they did in the DTES and downzone to the point where its unprofitable to build anything unless you meet the city conditions and the city allows a density bonus. I don't think people will support that concept applied broadly.

It looks like the main strategy is to offer up free land to try to entice the provincial and federal governments into helping build affordable housing.

quote:

Vancouver moves ahead with 4 rental building developments on city-owned land

Four hundred units of below-market rental housing will be built on four sites owned by the City of Vancouver.

Mayor Gregor Robertson and Mukhtar Latif, chief housing officer and CEO of the Vancouver Affordable Housing Agency (VAHA), announced the city is moving ahead after partnering with developers on four city-owned parcels of land worth $50 million (117 West Pender St., 3510 Fraser St., 2221 Main St., 55-79 and 87-115 SW Marine Drive).

These are the first projects initiated by VAHA since it was launched two years ago with a mandate to create 2,500 new affordable homes in five years.

The four sites are among the 20 city-owned sites Vancouver has offered up to provincial and federal governments for affordable housing but Robertson said the city is pushing forward with the projects itself while Liberals in Ottawa develop their national housing strategy and the Liberals in B.C. figure out what to do with the money collected from its new 15 per cent foreign buyer real estate tax over the next year.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The cities own housing guy is on the record as stating that anything less than $1000/month is ludicrously unreasonable to expect for any unit regardless of age.

Which questions just who he is looking out for.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rime posted:

The cities own housing guy is on the record as stating that anything less than $1000/month is ludicrously unreasonable to expect for any unit regardless of age.

Which questions just who he is looking out for.

Trudeau's middle class, those making between $92,000 and $250,000 a year.

The same middle class we're buying all those fighter jets for. You know the middle class we're building middle class pipelines for.

The middle class.

Middle class.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Did someone say middle class?

I like that guy.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JawKnee posted:

2nd in command of the CAF has been relieved of duty with no explanation given

And, so on...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like it's more likely he let slip to the media about some new horrible defense spending or something.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

"I like your Christ. Your Christians, not so much..."

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

Looks like it's more likely he let slip to the media about some new horrible defense spending or something.

The Canadian Air Force Lost A $300,000 Secret Item For Nearly A Year

quote:

The loss of the item suggests a “possible systemic ignorance of security policy” at a Quebec air force base, an investigator says.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

PT6A posted:

Remember that there are people in his campaign whose job solely is to harass people on the Internet.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jordan7hm posted:

CBC reported that the RCMP had been watching him for months, which could either mean that they thought he was leaking documents, or that he would've been if only they could get him off the couch.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

Oh, nonsense, I remember when, in the US, the highly qualified woman debated the orange fuckwit and destroyed him in three consecutive debates and then...

Oh, bother.

Clinton was awful during the debates. She did the whole 'awkwardly smile and try to seem relatable' thing that Mulclair tried and like him it just came off as disingenuous.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Rime posted:

Well he sucks a tremendous amount of dick in return for money, so I imagine the protein overload on top of whatever lavish meals he's buying is probably bad for the metabolism. :shrug:
I think the truth, namely that he's a 48 year old bachelor who has pledged to remain a virgin until marriage, is a tad more embarrassing.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
An instantly classic Trudeau nugget to start your day

quote:

The prime minister also stirred up some criticism on Twitter when he answered a man’s questions about the difficulties of being an immigrant.

“I’m a 10th or 11th generation Canadian on one of my sides, but my maternal grandfather was born in Scotland, so I do have some idea of the challenges it takes to come to Canada,” Trudeau said.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/01/16/trudeau-kicks-off-atlantic-leg-of-tour-after-rocky-start-in-ontario.html

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lmfao - what the hell is wrong with him. Ah yes, 200 years ago - the struggle - exactly how it is today.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Calling the next election for the CPC now gg neoliberals way to barely qualify as the least bad likely outcome.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

DynamicSloth posted:

I think the truth, namely that he's a 48 year old bachelor who has pledged to remain a virgin until marriage, is a tad more embarrassing.

DynamicSloth posted:

he's a 48 year old virgin

Didn't know Kenney was a goon.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 9, 2022

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

DynamicSloth posted:

What? Source?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

Lmfao - what the hell is wrong with him. Ah yes, 200 years ago - the struggle - exactly how it is today.

Re-read the quote.

e: it's still dumb but it's nowhere near as dumb as you imply

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why would Trudeau insist on being able to relate to the current immigrant/refugee experience on any level? What did he have to gain by pointing out that pop-pop came from Scotland?

My grandparents on one side came from Germany, that doesn't mean I have any connection or understanding of the immigrant experience, goddamn...

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

Re-read the quote.

"I’m a 10th or 11th generation Canadian on one of my sides, but my maternal grandfather was born in Scotland [and immigrated to Canada in 1911 when he was 3 years old], so I do have some idea of the challenges it takes to come to Canada,” Trudeau said.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
quote="PT6A" post="468433713"]

Oh, bother.
[/quote]

Lol trump obliterated that witch three times in a row! Especially that one debate where he called her out for enabling her sick husbands serial rapes i was ecstatic.

Anyways, kelly leitch cant possibly be worse than trudeau, i just wish she was pro second ammendment. Did she ever take position on mass surveillance?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mentions amendments to the US Constitution -- troll is too obvious 2/10.

Please try harder next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jordan7hm posted:

Re-read the quote.

Please tell me how far back a 10th or 11th gen Canadian is.

FYI I am 1st gen since my parents came here from Italy and England in the 60's.