Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feller
Jul 5, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

What should I do as a merchant republic when I start getting those alerts than Im too big for a merchant republic?

Remove states until you get back to the limit of 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Senor Dog posted:

Remove states until you get back to the limit of 20.

Oh crap, but without states won't I have provinces with like 75% autonomy? Isn't there any other solution? Changing my government type, maybe?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh crap, but without states won't I have provinces with like 75% autonomy? Isn't there any other solution? Changing my government type, maybe?

I think they meant provinces. You need to stay under 20 provinces. You can change your government to get around it, yes. I can't remember how it works exactly, but once your republican tradition declines enough it forces you into a monarchy of some kind.

You could also release vassals and just stick at the 20 province limit as a merchant republic.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
At the other hand, I'm like 11 above the limit and that doesn't seems to have any negative effect on my realm

edit: besides that mild minus to republic tradition

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 16, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Star posted:

And pump them for benefits whenever you can.
This is the important but tougher part. If you are low-effort, essentially do what Odobenidae said. I only ever really put Burghers in CoT/Estuary provinces. Clergy go in most newly conquered provinces, especially if I am poor because they negate the tax penalty due to high autonomy. Nobles go in low development provinces that I will not be putting any buildings in and fort provinces.

You can fiddle with the provinces they own depending on if you are going to try to coax Monarch Points out of them - if they have 75% Influence or higher and you use the "Demand MP" action for that estate, you get 150 of that MP, but it lowers their happiness by 20. So they are sitting at 70% Influence I will give 'em a few more provinces to get it up to 75% (which also increases their happiness), then demand MPs. If the happiness goes below 50 it gradually regresses up towards 50, so I wait to take any provinces away, but I will eventually to get their influence and percentage of land back down. The problem is that if their influence gets over 80, you start a ticking disaster; eventually the Estate in question initiates a coup because they are so powerful. I have never had to endure the disaster firing, though because I time the influence events so it never stays above 80 for more than 5 years.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Merchant Republics are bad anyway. Get a better government pronto and start milking your estates for free poo poo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
drat, I've gone through like three pretty decent attempts at AQ/QQ into Persia and I get romped by the Ottomans when I tag switch to Persia because I'm trying to just chill out and pay off the huge debts I had from my Horde days. Every attempt I'm more and more stable though! Just gotta figure out how to keep the Raze Train going in the most cramped area in the world.

E: I'm dumb I kept going Admin/Influence. Next attempt I'm gonna try Economic which should help a lot for a Horde that can't constantly expand.

Eej fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 16, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tsyni posted:

I think they meant provinces. You need to stay under 20 provinces. You can change your government to get around it, yes. I can't remember how it works exactly, but once your republican tradition declines enough it forces you into a monarchy of some kind.

You could also release vassals and just stick at the 20 province limit as a merchant republic.

You decay into a dictatorship which blows since you're locked at 0 tradition which makes stability costs absurd.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The AI seems to be trigger happy when it comes to guaranteeing a country's independence. The Ottomans just declared a war against Lithuania, which I jumped in on, and after they peaced out the Ottomans were guaranteeing Lithuania within a year.

I guess that is because Lithuania and Ottomans are my mutual rivals, but its odd they changed their attitude so quickly.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

The AI seems to be trigger happy when it comes to guaranteeing a country's independence. The Ottomans just declared a war against Lithuania, which I jumped in on, and after they peaced out the Ottomans were guaranteeing Lithuania within a year.

I guess that is because Lithuania and Ottomans are my mutual rivals, but its odd they changed their attitude so quickly.

It's possible that they wanted to guarantee Lithuania sooner but weren't able to until Lithuania had been weakened some.

The AI prefers to make allies over proclaiming guarantees, but if they're sufficiently strong compared to their rivals then they'll use those slots for guarantees instead.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I wish there were a vassal interaction to just waive the vassal fee they pay to me in exchange for 5 less liberty desire or something. Two of my vassals are 1500+ in debt, paying 1/4-1/2 of their income in forts.

I realize I can subsidize them, but it would be nice if it were more streamlined.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What are some easy ways to accumulate just a bit more positive modifiers for vassalization? I am two points from getting Sweden to capitulate. :argh:

Might just be easiest to let the Alliance trust build up. I was tempted to dump monarch points into development to offset the ecomomic base difference malus but who knows how expensive that'd be.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
As a new player that's basically stuck to iron man I've had some pretty upsetting moments. However I kept trucking and now have Prester John and Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire runs under my belt.

Decided to try out African Power and on my 3rd go was power through it, carving up Matupa/Kilawi and such. Getting ready to GET RICH from all the gold and trade when I got the wise idea to convert to Islam. I figured Fetishist is pretty easy to convert and most of Africa is Sunni so it'l save me a whole lot of effort. Unfortunately I'd never converted my nation before and was utterly unprepared for how much of a cluster gently caress I got myself into. My religious unity tanked immediately to about 5% and I have like a dozen massive rebellions queued up for the next few years. I've started converting provinces but only have 1 missionary and about 45 fetishist provinces so that will be a few decades. Is there any hope for my run? One positive is I have no loans so can borrow heavily if need be.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

jpparker55 posted:

As a new player that's basically stuck to iron man I've had some pretty upsetting moments. However I kept trucking and now have Prester John and Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire runs under my belt.

Decided to try out African Power and on my 3rd go was power through it, carving up Matupa/Kilawi and such. Getting ready to GET RICH from all the gold and trade when I got the wise idea to convert to Islam. I figured Fetishist is pretty easy to convert and most of Africa is Sunni so it'l save me a whole lot of effort. Unfortunately I'd never converted my nation before and was utterly unprepared for how much of a cluster gently caress I got myself into. My religious unity tanked immediately to about 5% and I have like a dozen massive rebellions queued up for the next few years. I've started converting provinces but only have 1 missionary and about 45 fetishist provinces so that will be a few decades. Is there any hope for my run? One positive is I have no loans so can borrow heavily if need be.

What are your ideas? You get events to convert to Catholic, which are preferable to Islam when you consider that you can take religious ideas and then mow down everyone in Africa. I don't think all is lost for you, but you're going to have 50 years of clawing up your religious unity.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Going Catholic could also give you extra missionaries from the Counter-Reformation. You definitely want Religious ideas asap, either way.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
I have finished exploration and Administration, just started Humanism before I converted. Should I drop that and replace it with religion?

Why is Catholicism better than Islam in this scenario? I think I may just restart, but it would be good to know for the next time around. Also suggestions on ideas for a restart? I took exploration first in this run, but I could see taking it later if I'm not going to try and expand into the Americas, pretty sure I can still take the cape.

Also, how stingy should I be about making states? With trying to conquer an entire continent I noticed I was burning through my states and started to hold back on making non valuable provinces into states. It can be a bit hard to keep track of however.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Catholicism would let you holy war through the Sunni countries as well as the Fetishist ones (not sure about the Copts) with religious ideas, plus the extra missionary from the counter-reformation.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

jpparker55 posted:

I have finished exploration and Administration, just started Humanism before I converted. Should I drop that and replace it with religion?

Why is Catholicism better than Islam in this scenario? I think I may just restart, but it would be good to know for the next time around. Also suggestions on ideas for a restart? I took exploration first in this run, but I could see taking it later if I'm not going to try and expand into the Americas, pretty sure I can still take the cape.

Also, how stingy should I be about making states? With trying to conquer an entire continent I noticed I was burning through my states and started to hold back on making non valuable provinces into states. It can be a bit hard to keep track of however.

Don't restart, at least until it gets to be too much to handle. It will suck initially, but just merc your way through the initial rebs then you'll get a reprieve from that -100% RR chance mod and get to catch up.

Also, Islam is the light, never go catholic (but actually stay fetishist because it's the best and see if you can just convert back).

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Baron Corbyn posted:

Catholicism would let you holy war through the Sunni countries as well as the Fetishist ones (not sure about the Copts) with religious ideas, plus the extra missionary from the counter-reformation.

Can you then convert to Protestant once the Reformation hits? Catholic has those troublesome limits on engaging with the Papal system if you're not European, and that's half of the benefits of the religion.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Quorum posted:

Can you then convert to Protestant once the Reformation hits? Catholic has those troublesome limits on engaging with the Papal system if you're not European, and that's half of the benefits of the religion.

The last time I played Christians outside Europe was a Cherokee game over a year ago and I was able to switch to Protestant

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Quorum posted:

Can you then convert to Protestant once the Reformation hits?

Yes, you just can't get a centre of reformation if your capital's outside Europe, iirc

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

since discovering europe in this bengal game, the holy roman emperors have been: poland, ulster, france, and now cyprus

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

You can't get the fine goosestep achievement after forming germany, gently caress!!! :negative:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Dare to dream:

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
So how do you make it as a native American without getting owned by any EU country? With the - to tech for being north American and how long it takes before getting the intuitions I see no way to compete.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Uziduke posted:

So how do you make it as a native American without getting owned by any EU country? With the - to tech for being north American and how long it takes before getting the intuitions I see no way to compete.

Migrate around and win lots of wars against the other natives to power through the native ideas. As soon as the Europeans arrive you can reform your government off them, which automatically catches you up in institutions and most of the way in tech.

Tech up a bit in military to help win wars against your neighbors, and ignore tech otherwise at first.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

Jabor posted:

Migrate around and win lots of wars against the other natives to power through the native ideas. As soon as the Europeans arrive you can reform your government off them, which automatically catches you up in institutions and most of the way in tech.

Tech up a bit in military to help win wars against your neighbors, and ignore tech otherwise at first.

Ah, I never got Conquest of Paradise. Probably shouldn't play as a Native till I get that.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Uziduke posted:

You need to directly border a European, if you're just on the coast somewhere and they dow you you're hosed. Once you share a border you'll catch most of the way up basically instantly.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Uziduke posted:

If you're playing a North American native I think they're pretty weak right now. If you play in Meso-America or the Andes you can become quite strong before the Euros show up, catch up quickly in tech, and the Euros aren't likely to give much of a poo poo about you. And if they do declare war, they're really terrible about projecting power across an ocean so they're not as tough as you think.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The last time I played NA native it went something like "England declares war, fucks me up royally and takes a million provinces, takes all their units home, all the provinces rebel and convert back to me back in a decade, meanwhile I've reformed and am actually worth a drat".

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It took the Commonwealth and Spain/Austria but I finally heeled France and their Elan Space Marines as Brittany. Took 3 provinces but now we field equal size armies so they defiately wont gently caress with me.

I got super lucky and have the Carribean and North American Coast to myself pretty much because England Inhereted Portugal and got tied up in things(?) so I got there first and spread out without any competition.

Also Spain pu'd Austria and now and the Ottos are completely swolen and could cause serious problems without a strong Austria and a crippled France.

Thats why playing a nation like Brittany is fascinating because your power often destabilises the natural hegemony.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 17, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Captain Oblivious posted:

What are some easy ways to accumulate just a bit more positive modifiers for vassalization? I am two points from getting Sweden to capitulate. :argh:

Might just be easiest to let the Alliance trust build up. I was tempted to dump monarch points into development to offset the ecomomic base difference malus but who knows how expensive that'd be.

Royal marriage, improve relations, give them subsidies, send them a gift, offer them military access and ask them to transfer trade power to you (that gives them +10 opinion of you for some reason)

I think that's all you can do for diplomatic actions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Use the Influence Nation GP action, if gives +5 trust, and can be renewed every 10 years.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uziduke posted:

You do what this guy did; you start as Cabbo, migrate to Central America, switch religions to Nahuatl, and become an insane god-native (posted on the previous page)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJY-M5uAiA

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

You do what this guy did; you start as Cabbo, migrate to Central America, switch religions to Nahuatl, and become an insane god-native (posted on the previous page)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJY-M5uAiA

honestly you get about the same result just starting as Aztec or some other Mesoamerican

it's neat but it's not really "overpowered" and has been mentioned is kind of tedious and annoying

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:ohdear:

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
So, after swallowing most of Sweden and bumping borders with Russia in Laponia, I saw an opportunity to screw Russia up, as declaring a war on them would cause their alliances with Poland-Lithuania and Austria to expire. Brandenburg, me and a Spain that's eaten 1/3 of France - more than a match for 1 billion manpower.

Except... AI happened.

He's been there for 3 years, doing who knows what. I was busy sending small stacks to different parts of Russia via boats to exploit another dumb AI tendency, so that he couldn't focus his giant deathball on me, and I wasn't really paying much attention to Spain, but he hasn't moved either that army, or his 20 stack at home, even after his Italian provinces started getting sieged.
Still, I managed to catch Russia off guard with buddy Brandenburg and won a few battles. War reps + 400 ducks. Could probably push it for more, but I need that manpower for France and GB. 20 years worth of favours wasted with Spain :saddowns:

Paradox, please teach your AI how to boat. Please.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Finally got around to trying EUV, coming from CK2. At first it didn't really click, but I think by now I've been able to get a handle on most of the elements. Feels a little hollow missing the more personal narrative that CK2 presented. Can't even become an immortal satan-worshipping sister-loving Messalian who hears the voice of Jesus, can eat people to consume their power, and who spends most of his reign seducing everything wearing a skirt when he's not putting a horse on his council. All the stuff you could do with rulers made it feel almost like an RPG, but that and all the goofy stuff in included just made it a more engrossing experience.

That said EUIV is great as more of a 'straight' strategy game. Are there any small but important non-obvious things you should know going in? Like in CK2, how important it is to keep your spymaster incredibly happy.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

Finally got around to trying EUV, coming from CK2. At first it didn't really click, but I think by now I've been able to get a handle on most of the elements. Feels a little hollow missing the more personal narrative that CK2 presented. Can't even become an immortal satan-worshipping sister-loving Messalian who hears the voice of Jesus, can eat people to consume their power, and who spends most of his reign seducing everything wearing a skirt when he's not putting a horse on his council. All the stuff you could do with rulers made it feel almost like an RPG, but that and all the goofy stuff in included just made it a more engrossing experience.

That said EUIV is great as more of a 'straight' strategy game. Are there any small but important non-obvious things you should know going in? Like in CK2, how important it is to keep your spymaster incredibly happy.

They're very different games, I think. To me, CK2 feels more like a roleplaying sim, while gameplay-wise EU4 feels a lot better. A lot of mechanics that are obscure in CK2 are much more intuitive and solid in EU4: alliances, truces, war, inheritances...

As for stuff you should know: I don't think the tutorial's been updated to address territories and states, and they're a pretty big deal. Basically the map is divided in areas with 3-5 provinces each and when you hold provinces in one of those that area will either be a territory or a state of your empire.

The thing is territorial provinces cost half to core, but their autonomy can't be lower than 75%. If you turn a territory into a state and pay the 2nd half of the coring cost that minimum autonomy drops to 0%. States cost maintenance money (the further they are from your capital the higher it gets) and there's a limit to how many you can have, so the idea is if you want to make a massive empire you can --but after a certain point your land will be less profitable. Trade makes up for this though.

In short: after you conquer land make sure to add it to a state with the button to the right of your province screen and then full core it, or you won't benefit as much from it.

Also unlike CK2 you wanna pick a big country for your first few games. The Ottomans are probably the best choice, but you could easily go with others like France, Muscovy or Castile.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I annexed a vassal as Inca, which had a province under Terra Incognito with some rebels, turns out it was 8 different Pretender armies totaling 55k infantry.

Get hosed, me, I guess.

Edit: I ended up getting jumped by France and Castille, 2nd and 5th Great Powers, then reformed from a one-province nomadic tribe and the sudden boost combined with all my colonizing propelled me to 6th rank. Now the inflation from my 8 gold mines is wrecking the economy.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 17, 2017

• Locked thread