Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DancingShade posted:

Next week they're going to find him in there with the lights off, door barricaded and a sleeping bag.

The walls will be covered in his Great Manifesto which will be illegible but there will be hints about something called an "admiralty flag". There will be a 500 page notebook filled with nothing but "sovereign", underlined, over and over.

I don't think Culleton is hugely into the Sov-Cit thing unlike Malcolm Roberts. However all over the walls will be scrawled "I am not BANKRUPT!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Also some good news for once this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/17/catch-the-fire-ministries-loses-charity-status-political-affiliation

Danny Nalliah's Catch the Fire Ministries has had its religious charity status revoked.

Of course that shithead is saying that's it's a strike against free speech.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

You Am I posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/17/catch-the-fire-ministries-loses-charity-status-political-affiliation

Danny Nalliah's Catch the Fire Ministries has had its religious charity status revoked.

this is great

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I tried to find the footage of Danny & Co dancing but couldn't track it down.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

You Am I posted:

:peanut:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

Under the Charities Act 2013, promoting or opposing a political party or candidate for political office disqualifies organisations from having charity status.

Nalliah, who was vying for a Victorian Senate seat at the last election, said Catch The Fire would fight the revocation.

“As far as we are concerned it’s an absolute injustice being done based on the fact that we have a political viewpoint,” Nalliah said on Monday night. “It’s a big blow to freedom of speech. We will not take this seated and we will talk to our lawyers in the next few days”.

Nalliah said he was unaware of the clause in the charities act until October, when Catch The Fire Ministries received a letter from the commission about posts on its website that were deemed political.

What a dumbass.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I know one person who would be a bit uncomfortable about a Federal ICAC. Soon to be Health Minister Sinodinos.

http://www.news.com.au/national/pol...cbb7e2913ea4085

quote:

Controversial past of likely next health minister Arthur Sinodinos JANUARY 16, 201712:14PM

Turnbull to announce new ministry

PRIME Minister Malcolm Turnbull has been forced to reshuffle his cabinet following the fall of former health minister Sussan Ley, but her likely replacement will hardly help to flush out controversy from the frontbench. Arthur Sinodinos, who has been acting in the role of health, sport and aged care minister since Ms Ley was sidelined while her expenses concerning trips to the Gold Coast are investigated, is tipped to be formally installed in the role. The move is expected to be the main change in Turnbull’s “minimalist” ministerial shake-up, avoiding a broader cabinet reshuffle. While one of the goals of swiftly replacing Ms Ley is to restore order in the government’s top ranks, her replacement hardly comes with a squeaky clean record. Mr Sinodinos, who served as a senior staffer to former PM John Howard before entering the Senate in 2011, was only two years ago forced from the frontbench himself. The first-term senator spent only seven months as Assistant Treasurer under Tony Abbott.

He was forced to stand aside in 2014 while he was called to give evidence as a witness before Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) as the authority investigated a company he chaired. Mr Sinodinos faced scrutiny over his role in infrastructure company Australian Water Holdings which he served as deputy chairman and later chairman, linking him to corrupt former NSW Labor MP Eddie Obeid, now jailed. Questions were raised over his performance in the witness box during the ICAC inquiry, and in the role he held at the organisation the inquiry focused on. Over hours of questioning, Mr Sinodinos repeatedly answered “I don’t recall” and “I didn’t know”, when facing questions over significant donations to the Liberal party made by the company he chaired. The performance was a bad look for the Senator at the time, however no corruption findings were made against Mr Sinodinos.

The NSW senator re-entered Cabinet as Cabinet Secretary in 2015, appointed by Malcolm Turnbull after he ousted Mr Abbott from the top job. Mr Sinodinos was instrumental in leadership change. The ministerial hopeful is currently being touted as the lead candidate to take over Ms Ley’s portfolio in a reshuffle expected to be announced by Mr Turnbull in the coming days. Labor has taken advantage of the instability Ms Ley’s resignation has created, talking down the new health minister before the position is even announced. “I don’t think it’s going to matter who the new minister is, they have got a pretty poor agenda in health and each one of them has just been implementing what Malcolm Turnbull has been telling them to do,” opposition health spokeswoman Catherine King told reporters in Ballarat.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just to poo poo on the news about Nalliah's group losing their charity status, billboards advertising Australia Day celebrations which included women in hijabs have been pulled down due to threats from fuckwit racist groups

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/17/australia-day-billboard-featuring-women-in-hijabs-removed-after-threats

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Good to know making racist threats is an effective means of achieving your political aims. Thanks QMS.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

open24hours posted:

Good to know making racist threats is an effective means of achieving your political aims. Thanks QMS.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 17, 2017

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
So if we threaten them enough they'll put it back up, yeah?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Periphery posted:

So if we threaten them enough they'll put it back up, yeah?

:capitalism:

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

starkebn posted:

Why is domestic violence treated any differently to other forms of assault that may occur in the street or at a party?

Because participants in street or party fights as a rule dont usually share a residence or raise children together or have intimate relations with each other.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I know it's more complicated usually but if someone calls the police saying "my partner just assaulted me" I can't see how "well, you guys live together so I guess it's not so bad" is the right response

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

You Am I posted:

Just to poo poo on the news about Nalliah's group losing their charity status, billboards advertising Australia Day celebrations which included women in hijabs have been pulled down due to threats from fuckwit racist groups

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/17/australia-day-billboard-featuring-women-in-hijabs-removed-after-threats

quote:

Hundreds of people criticised the image for being “too politically correct” or not a true reflection of Australia Day.

“This isn’t a reflection of Australia Day, are we losing our own culture to be politically correct??,” Sydney woman Liz Parker wrote on Facebook.

Lmao

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

She's quite right, respecting others and being inclusive is definitely a massive subversion of Australian Culture.

"I think you'll find that this wide brown land is has no room for brown people."

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

journalism is hard ok

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

hooman posted:

She's quite right, respecting others and being inclusive is definitely a massive subversion of Australian Culture.

"I think you'll find that this wide brown land is has no room for brown people."

The objection might be they were smiling,

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

We just need to couch stuff in terms idiots can understand. Lets make a new advertising campaign.

"Remember when we let all the wogs in back in the day? Well now we've got heaps good pizza and fancy spaghetti places to take the missus. Let the Muslims in and you'll be able to grab a kebab on the way home from the pub anywhere in Australia."

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hello, the debt collection is about to be expanded upon pensioners and the disabled, it is currently done with Newstart and Youth Allowance:

Pensioners and disabled next in line in Centrelink robo-debt campaign

The Coalition government is going to target more than 3 million of elderly and disabled Australians with its controversial Centrelink "robo-debt" campaign, Parliamentary documents show.

The mid-year economic forecast tables published last week shows the government has booked savings of $1.1 billion from data-matching the aged pension and another $400 million from the disability support pension.

The move will bring more than 3 million more Australians into the sights of the data-matching program, which uses an automated system to match information held by Centrelink and the Australian Taxation Office and calculate overpayments.

But the policy has been beset by errors and has been hugely controversial with many of those targeted for debt recovery saying they are being hounded by commercial debt collectors for money that they do not owe.

The data matching effort so far has been concentrated overwhelmingly on mostly young people who have received the dole or Youth Allowance, although evidence is emerging that students have also been hit heavily.

But the supporting tables to the government's mid-year financial and fiscal outlook, published on Thursday by the Parliamentary Budget office, reveal that Coalition policy is to massively extend the data matching effort to the more than 2.5 million age pensioners and about 800,000 disability support pensioners.

"Relative to the 2016-2017 budget, policy decisions are expected to decrease expenses on the age pension by $1.1 billion to 2019-2020 primarily due to measures to enhance the integrity of social welfare payments including expanding and extending data-matching activities with the Australian taxation office," the document reads.

The papers also reveal that the government believes it will slash spending on the disability support pension using the same methods.

Both the Department of Human Services and the office of the Human Services Minister Alan Tudge have been contacted for comment on Tuesday.

More to come

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anidav posted:

Hello, the debt collection is about to be expanded upon pensioners and the disabled, it is currently done with Newstart and Youth Allowance:

Pensioners and disabled next in line in Centrelink robo-debt campaign

The Coalition government is going to target more than 3 million of elderly and disabled Australians with its controversial Centrelink "robo-debt" campaign, Parliamentary documents show.

The mid-year economic forecast tables published last week shows the government has booked savings of $1.1 billion from data-matching the aged pension and another $400 million from the disability support pension.

The move will bring more than 3 million more Australians into the sights of the data-matching program, which uses an automated system to match information held by Centrelink and the Australian Taxation Office and calculate overpayments.

But the policy has been beset by errors and has been hugely controversial with many of those targeted for debt recovery saying they are being hounded by commercial debt collectors for money that they do not owe.

The data matching effort so far has been concentrated overwhelmingly on mostly young people who have received the dole or Youth Allowance, although evidence is emerging that students have also been hit heavily.

But the supporting tables to the government's mid-year financial and fiscal outlook, published on Thursday by the Parliamentary Budget office, reveal that Coalition policy is to massively extend the data matching effort to the more than 2.5 million age pensioners and about 800,000 disability support pensioners.

"Relative to the 2016-2017 budget, policy decisions are expected to decrease expenses on the age pension by $1.1 billion to 2019-2020 primarily due to measures to enhance the integrity of social welfare payments including expanding and extending data-matching activities with the Australian taxation office," the document reads.

The papers also reveal that the government believes it will slash spending on the disability support pension using the same methods.

Both the Department of Human Services and the office of the Human Services Minister Alan Tudge have been contacted for comment on Tuesday.

More to come

Are they trying to alienate everyone in the country who might vote for them?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

they have to be doing this by postcode or they're surely hosed

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anidav posted:

Boy, they really are determined to lose the next election huh?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

$1b spent on detention contracts without authorisation, audit finds

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection is accused of mismanaging offshore detention centre contracts, with an independent audit alleging more than $1 billion was spent over the last four years without proper authorisation.

womp womp http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-17/audit-alleges-offshore-detention-contracts-mismanaged/8188190

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

Hello, the debt collection is about to be expanded upon pensioners

OPEN THE BLOOD GATES

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
How can you gently caress up this badly and ONLY be losing in the polls by 54-46?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

How can you gently caress up this badly and ONLY be losing in the polls by 54-46?

Fostercarer_of_38_children.txt

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Please, let them alienate vast amounts of pensioners.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Wait.. 1.7 million plus 3+ million = 4.7 million plus.

Coalition now sending accusatory debt letters to >20% of the population of Australia... holy gently caress... holy loving gently caress.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
PRAWNNNNNSSSSS

Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce has hit out at seafood importers suspected of knowingly selling diseased prawns, comparing them to sporting drug cheats.

Infected overseas imports could be to blame for an outbreak of the deadly white spot disease (WSD) which is threatening to destroy a third of Australia's farmed prawn industry.

Two weeks ago Mr Joyce suspended the importation of green prawns following infected product being found for sale in Australia.

"There's a strong case that people have been swapping prawns," Mr Joyce told 7.30.

"It's just like doing urine swaps for rogue footy players.

"The [importers] were offering up a batch of prawns [for inspection] they knew full well didn't have white spot and taking the others in the back door."

The Agriculture Department is pursuing criminal charges against Chinese importer Sino and is continuing to investigate at least four others.

"The prawn industry is about a $358 million a year industry between imports and domestic, and [Sino] were a major player and now they've got some major questions to answer," Mr Joyce said.

"If they've done it, it's a criminal event and we'll nail them."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman posted:

Wait.. 1.7 million plus 3+ million = 4.7 million plus.

Coalition now sending accusatory debt letters to >20% of the population of Australia... holy gently caress... holy loving gently caress.

I saw your mistake.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I saw your mistake.

PROVE IT FUCKO

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Anidav posted:

That's 2PP, you should know as well as anyone LNP are haemorrhaging votes to the White Nation party.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Just curious but has this debt recovery centrelink thing expanded into student payments (or has there been any discussion of involving students?) I've been waiting for a debt recovery letter because I thought they'd be sending them to all people on a pension, I didn't realize it was just newstart that was affacted

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The thought of a few million pensioners trying to use MyGov is pretty funny.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Just wait until they have to use BasicsCards. Because that's the dirty little secret that dare not speak up just yet. The result so far is a bit like the GST, you just black market around it and nothing changes. But scale this up and it's going to be very interesting.

Piping Shrike points at the hypocrisy behind it all:

quote:

As part of the speeding up last year, the statute of limitations was removed altogether in a heart-warming display of bipartisanship. The Minister denied it was to allow even longer back-dated chasing up, while his own department put in the estimates some $158m in expected additional clawback over the next three years. It also means that from this year claimants now have no limit when in the future they will be required to provide proof of innocence.

Yet despite all of this, there has been little argument that maybe the whole chasing of small amounts from those who should be the main beneficiaries of government support is perhaps unjustified. The tenor of the outrage has been more on the inefficiency of the system rather than the system itself and the way it puts the burden on those who can least afford it. It is almost as though the problem is not the cutting of claimants to the financial bone but that the knife being used is not sharp enough.

It's sheer escapism by the political class, avoiding their responsibilities in order to pontificate to us about ours. Shrike points out that the BasicsCard inquiry was ignored by both ALP and LNP because its conclusions don't support their little moralistic crusade against poor people, especially the brown ones. The timing of the expenses scandal was such that you might have expected the mainstream comment to point up this hypocrisy but they also ignored it. Only on social media have I seen the question: why is this crusade so important?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/17/australia-can-meet-emissions-targets-with-coal-says-mining-minister

The minister for resources (mining) says Australians should invest in coal technology as it can reduce emissions :psyduck:

Of course the report he was using as basis for this statement was conducted by his own department...

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

$1b spent on detention contracts without authorisation, audit finds

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection is accused of mismanaging offshore detention centre contracts, with an independent audit alleging more than $1 billion was spent over the last four years without proper authorisation.

womp womp http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-17/audit-alleges-offshore-detention-contracts-mismanaged/8188190

we need to redirect more money to our concentration camps, ROBODEBT THE DISABLED

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pwnstar posted:

We just need to couch stuff in terms idiots can understand. Lets make a new advertising campaign.

"Remember when we let all the wogs in back in the day? Well now we've got heaps good pizza and fancy spaghetti places to take the missus. Let the Muslims in and you'll be able to grab a kebab on the way home from the pub anywhere in Australia."

Nah see this sounds like the fake tradie, what you need is to get in touch with the real Australia.

quote:

Remember when those loving I-ties and degos came over here and took all the loving jobs on the snowy river? And all we got was loving lovely spag bol that would have reached us from the states anyway. Now we've got the recipe, why don't we just tell em to get hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm still convinced that a lot of these racist posters aren't living in the real Australia, and are confined to their beer-sipping safe hugboxes where they can lament the destruction of Western Civilisation whilst being fat in peace

• Locked thread