Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh yeah, thanks guys. I might just pick up a SNES at that rate.

And for the record, you got my number. I went SFC 100% for the aesthetics :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
On the flip side, modifying a US SNES or SNES mini to accept Super Famicom carts is really easy and only needs a pair of pliers.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Instant Sunrise posted:

On the flip side, modifying a US SNES or SNES mini to accept Super Famicom carts is really easy and only needs a pair of pliers.

I have to do this soon, I just got Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure. Off hand, does anyone know if the tabs are easier to access if the system is dissasembled (talking model 1 here)? I want to do a cleaner job than just reaching in with pliers. I know on the SNES mini you can remove the plastic section with the tabs entirely by taking the system apart, so long as you don't mind not having the door on the cart slot anymore.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mail guy should be dropping off my copy of Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adv. tomorrow :cool::hf::cool:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Turbinosamente posted:

I have to do this soon, I just got Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure. Off hand, does anyone know if the tabs are easier to access if the system is dissasembled (talking model 1 here)? I want to do a cleaner job than just reaching in with pliers. I know on the SNES mini you can remove the plastic section with the tabs entirely by taking the system apart, so long as you don't mind not having the door on the cart slot anymore.

Monitor Burn took care of the region tabs on my Mini when he modded it, and it still has a cart slot door. Of course, he had the console disassembled to do the other mod work, so maybe it was easier for him that way. Regardless, just plier up. No one is going to see the scars of the former tabs, no one is going to care if they do, and it's way easier and probably less risky than getting tools, trying to disassemble your console, and then reassembling it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm not so much worried about looks as getting the tabs flush with the bottom of the slot. Or am I over thinking how deep the cart sits in the system?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just waste another $100 and buy the JP versions and swap the pcbs like I did :shepface:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm not so much worried about looks as getting the tabs flush with the bottom of the slot. Or am I over thinking how deep the cart sits in the system?

Sorry, so many reasons I hear for not breaking the tabs are related to aesthetics concerns or somehow violating the pristine retro spirit of their console. As if the Smithsonian will call them up one day, looking for exhibition pieces, and then go "NOPE NOT GENUINE ENOUGH!" or something.

It doesn't have to be super-flush, in my experience. Just deep enough that the cartridge edge can get a good contact with the slot. If you have some small pliers and snips, you should be able to remove the tabs enough to allow this to happen by snipping, twisting, and pulling at them. Your Super Famicom games will probably need a firm press to insert, but I suspect that's the case no matter what since they aren't as wide as US carts and don't have the same form-fitting support in the slot.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Play-Super-Famicom-Games-on-an-American-Sup/

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Honestly these days you can cheat and go to the library and 3d print a new cart support if you really want it to be clean and smooth inside for some reason.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

There's probably a market for replacement SNES case parts in different colors considering how many of them are yellowed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There definitely is. On Ebay or Etsy you can do a search and find every part re-made.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Someone make a party SNES with each piece a different color

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Elliotw2 posted:

Honestly these days you can cheat and go to the library and 3d print a new cart support if you really want it to be clean and smooth inside for some reason.

I did exactly this with my N64.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

flyboi posted:

Just waste another $100 and buy the JP versions and swap the pcbs like I did :shepface:

The same although I didn't spend $100.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

There's a 3D printer in your library?

Edit: well I'll be damned

azurite fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 17, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Hey guys, the Gaiares kid no longer has a mullet.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

A friend of mine got a complete in box JVC X'Eye for 50 bucks at a Goodwill today :stare:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

falz posted:

Hey guys, the Gaiares kid no longer has a mullet.

so the Gaires kid is dead, is that what you're telling me?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shyduck posted:

A friend of mine got a complete in box JVC X'Eye for 50 bucks at a Goodwill today :stare:

You're not supposed to boast about committing a murder in a public forum, you know.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

so the Gaires kid is dead, is that what you're telling me?

Dead inside, at least.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

He gained an okay beard, at least?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I drunkbought Super Mario RPG last night. Goodbye $60.

Drunk you has good tastes.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I came across this thing going through a storage bin and thought it would be fun to set it up

This is how we we pirated N64 games back in the day, it's a Bung Doctor V64. I actually had a different device called a Z64 when the N64 was current but I was introduced to the whole copier scene during the SNES days by a friend who had a Super Wildcard DX, and I ended up with one of those as well. When the N64 came around he went with the V64 and I got the Z64 and I always kind of wished I had gotten a V64 as well, it was just a cooler device (and it played VCDs!). Flash forward a bunch of years and I'm at a different friend's house and we're talking about how piracy was back then and I mention the V64, he's like "yup, that's what I used" and pulls out his setup, fully loaded with all 3 save adapters and maxed out 256mbit RAM, I ask if he wants to sell it and he lets it go for $90, which was and is a steal. I ended up selling my Z64 for something like $400 on a forum soon after and have had this thing ever since.

The two adapters between the cart and system are for save games, they're not stacked like that to make a funny picture; the N64 actually uses a few types of save technologies. The DX256 is for EEPROM 4kbit saves, the DS1 is for SRAM saves, so both stacked like that will handle both kinds. The black adapter to the side is used when a game uses 16kbit EEPROM saves, you have to put a legit game in that has a 16kbit EEPROM and the save writes to that, erasing the game's own save. Even if you don't need to save you must use either the black "emulation adapter" or the DS1 (but not the DX256) between a legit cart and the N64 to bypass protection.

Here's the rear:

There's a parallel port to load games from a PC or to save dumped games. Notice the RCA jacks, the OSD is generated by the V64 itself and sent out it's own video output, and you're supposed to plug the N64 in it's input. The game loading procedure goes like this:

1. Turn only the V64 on, put in a CD
2. Navigate to the ROM you want to load using the OSD and buttons on the V64 itself and select the game which is loaded into the V64's memory
3. Turn the N64 power on when prompted and play, the V64 detects this and switches from it's composite feed to the N64's

Since I use an S-video cable I have an extra step of switching inputs when the game is loaded. Kids today and their everdrives have it too easy :bahgawd:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

My 4 year old is starting to get into wrestling. What's the best wrestling game from nes up to dreamcast for that age? Easy moves a bonus. We'll probably just do 2 player so he can beat up on me.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

RodShaft posted:

My 4 year old is starting to get into wrestling. What's the best wrestling game from nes up to dreamcast for that age? Easy moves a bonus. We'll probably just do 2 player so he can beat up on me.

The N64 wrestling games were some of THE best. Not sure which, I think there's a half dozen of them easily.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cindy Shitbird posted:

The N64 wrestling games were some of THE best. Not sure which, I think there's a half dozen of them easily.
The AKI games, namely WCW/nWo Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and WWF No Mercy. There was also WCW vs. nWo World Tour, but since it was the first AKI game on the N64 it's not nearly as polished as the rest. If we want to get technical, there are also the Japanese exclusive Virtual Pro Wrestling games that use the same engine with some improvements and feature wrestlers from promotions like All Japan Pro Wrestling, but those are mostly enjoyed by hardcore sperglords like myself, Samoa Joe and AJ Styles.

Acclaim made a bunch of wrestling games for the system (WWF Warzone, WWF Attitude, ECW Hardcore Revolution), but all of those are terrible.

Oh, and then there's WCW Mayhem and WCW Backstage Assault by EA. The fact I forgot those existed probably gives you an idea of their quality.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 17, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not the Acclaim ones, definitely (WWF Warzone and Attitude, ECW). THQ published ones are pretty good, and moves are pretty much just direction + button. WWF No Mercy is probably the best, but launch copies can have a fairly serious bug that erases saved data. WWF Wrestlemania 2000 is pretty decent as well. They made WCW games before they got the WWF license, but I'd hazard a guess that earlier = worse.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

They made WCW games before they got the WWF license, but I'd hazard a guess that earlier = worse.
Not really. I mean, World Tour is kinda rough and not really worth it, but Revenge is really good and Wrestlemania 2000 is pretty much a reskin of that game with some very minor improvements.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I know nothing about wrestling but I know people who are and they say N64 and Dreamcast are the best consoles for that (for dreamcast I understand there are some good imports as well if they're into Japanese wrestling)

edit: there's also this for dreamcast, originally an arcade game and a perfect port since dreamcast and naomi are extremely similar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWF_Royal_Rumble_(2000_video_game)

d0s fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 17, 2017

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

RodShaft posted:

Most of the really good ones are, as mentioned, on N64. Wrestlemania 2000, No Mercy, WCW/nWo Revenge, and World Tour are sort of the Mount Rushmore, as far as actual quality/playability go. On an anecdotal level though WWF Royal Rumble on SNES has super simple controls and might be a good starting point, even though it might not be as much fun for a more mature player.

Also, as a gaming geek, a wrestling geek, AND a parent, I am very happy for you :)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
WWF No Mercy is usually in the discussion of next wrestling game so I'll nth that recommendation. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 shares a lot with No Mercy and might be worth checking out too.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

VPW2 is the best of the AKI games in my opinion (it's more polished and has more content than No Mercy), but it's probably not the best choice for someone who just wants a wrestleman game to casually play with their kid (for one, the whole thing is in Japanese). I'd pick No Mercy or Revenge.

Hardcore Gaming 101 has an extensive writeup on N64 wrestling games, mainly those by AKI: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/akiwrestling/akiwrestlinggames.htm

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

No mention of the NES pro wrestling game Pro Wrestling?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Discovering the existance of bAtari basic has given me this weird compulsion to write an Atari 2600 game using it. I have to keep reminding myself that a) I dont like the 2600 and b) I dont know basic. Even so I may download it and mess around with it anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kea posted:

Discovering the existance of bAtari basic has given me this weird compulsion to write an Atari 2600 game using it. I have to keep reminding myself that a) I dont like the 2600 and b) I dont know basic. Even so I may download it and mess around with it anyway.

Me, two months ago: "Hey I bet it would be fun to learn SNES assembler coding and making a fun little game or something"

Me, today: "I'm an idiot"

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

d0s posted:

I came across this thing going through a storage bin and thought it would be fun to set it up

This is how we we pirated N64 games back in the day, it's a Bung Doctor V64. I actually had a different device called a Z64 when the N64 was current but I was introduced to the whole copier scene during the SNES days by a friend who had a Super Wildcard DX, and I ended up with one of those as well. When the N64 came around he went with the V64 and I got the Z64 and I always kind of wished I had gotten a V64 as well, it was just a cooler device (and it played VCDs!). Flash forward a bunch of years and I'm at a different friend's house and we're talking about how piracy was back then and I mention the V64, he's like "yup, that's what I used" and pulls out his setup, fully loaded with all 3 save adapters and maxed out 256mbit RAM, I ask if he wants to sell it and he lets it go for $90, which was and is a steal. I ended up selling my Z64 for something like $400 on a forum soon after and have had this thing ever since.

The two adapters between the cart and system are for save games, they're not stacked like that to make a funny picture; the N64 actually uses a few types of save technologies. The DX256 is for EEPROM 4kbit saves, the DS1 is for SRAM saves, so both stacked like that will handle both kinds. The black adapter to the side is used when a game uses 16kbit EEPROM saves, you have to put a legit game in that has a 16kbit EEPROM and the save writes to that, erasing the game's own save. Even if you don't need to save you must use either the black "emulation adapter" or the DS1 (but not the DX256) between a legit cart and the N64 to bypass protection.

Here's the rear:

There's a parallel port to load games from a PC or to save dumped games. Notice the RCA jacks, the OSD is generated by the V64 itself and sent out it's own video output, and you're supposed to plug the N64 in it's input. The game loading procedure goes like this:

1. Turn only the V64 on, put in a CD
2. Navigate to the ROM you want to load using the OSD and buttons on the V64 itself and select the game which is loaded into the V64's memory
3. Turn the N64 power on when prompted and play, the V64 detects this and switches from it's composite feed to the N64's

Since I use an S-video cable I have an extra step of switching inputs when the game is loaded. Kids today and their everdrives have it too easy :bahgawd:

stuff like this is why this thread owns so much

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Me, two months ago: "Hey I bet it would be fun to learn SNES assembler coding and making a fun little game or something"

Me, today: "I'm an idiot"

Howcome? Significantly harder than you thought or was there some tool you just found?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Quiet Feet posted:

No mention of the NES pro wrestling game Pro Wrestling?

Not to speak for anyone else but part of my goal was partly to get the kid to learn more about old wrestlers who actually existed but yes this is a must-have if you're looking to try some old-school wrestling games, especially given that it tends to go for like five bucks even at the price gouging retro stores.

Also, since the original question got my wheels turning, I'll mention that WCW Superbrawl is probably the "best" wrestling game on SNES but WWF Wrestlemania: the Arcade Game is pure, cartoony fun.

It is, however, very important to not confuse Wrestlemania: the Arcade Game with Super Wrestlemania. There is almost nothing good about Super Wrestlemania.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

checksin posted:

stuff like this is why this thread owns so much

I agree!

Holy poo poo is it fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Karmine posted:

Also, since the original question got my wheels turning, I'll mention that WCW Superbrawl is probably the "best" wrestling game on SNES but WWF Wrestlemania: the Arcade Game is pure, cartoony fun.
Is that the one with exactly six playable characters where The Undertaker can lock people with his weird pickup thing? I watched bichphuongballz speedrun that game and it looked ridiculous but also fun.

• Locked thread