Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SirPhoebos posted:

:what: That's supposed to be a good moment? It's more like a bad game of D&D where an rear end in a top hat DM tries to make the Paladin fall "Suddenly you find baby goblins. They register as Evil to your Paladin abilities, but they're only babies. WHAT DO YOU DO?!? :smug:"

To be fair, that scene works better in relation to the rest of the episode and the two episodes surrounding it. The Mandalore three parter in Season 2 is my personal favourite story from the show's run. It's also the point where the show started running thin on good ideas, as the rest of Season 2 turned into "X film, but in Star Wars".

Seasons 4 and 5 are really bad with some good episodes here and there. The biggest issue with the later seasons is the near total dropoff of the supporting cast in favour of Anakin, Ahsoka and Obi-Wan. There is just a lack of creativity with the stories afterwards. It is why the Ahsoka on trial episodes piss me off, because it turns out that Barriss Offee is the one responsible for bombing the Jedi Temple out of protest for the war. The only reason she is the one responsible is because she was Ahsoka's friend, and making her the culprit is there to hurt Ahsoka and shake her trust. There is only one problem, though. Barriss Offee had no episodes featuring her since mid season 2, and absolutely no interaction with Ashoka since those episodes. I think she had one cameo flying a starfighter in one episode, but that was it.

The supporting cast got absolutely gutted in favour of A/A/OB going on weekly adventures with no follow through. It became a huge relief when they started doing Clone centric episodes again, because at least there Rex and Fives got to shine a bit more without playing second fiddle to the Jedi. Hell, poor Cody gets pretty much dumped from the show completely, same with Gree and Wolfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The worst part of the clone wars was that god drat lovely droid 4 parter. I don't I've ever been so bored watching a Star Wars media.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

The worst part of the clone wars was that god drat lovely droid 4 parter. I don't I've ever been so bored watching a Star Wars media.
What the D-Squad one? It wasn't very good but you have to remember that the primary audience is children.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

To be fair, that scene works better in relation to the rest of the episode and the two episodes surrounding it. The Mandalore three parter in Season 2 is my personal favourite story from the show's run. It's also the point where the show started running thin on good ideas, as the rest of Season 2 turned

By the end of the Mandalorian stuff, I was in full agreement with her enemies that the Queen had no business governing. Literally everyone she knows except Obi-Wan ends up trying to get her off the throne.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Canemacar posted:

By the end of the Mandalorian stuff, I was in full agreement with her enemies that the Queen had no business governing. Literally everyone she knows except Obi-Wan ends up trying to get her off the throne.
To be fair the alternatives were her corrupt deputy or violent terrorists, both of whom were undermining her efforts. It made Karen Traviss burn all her bridges so she could never come back, so that makes it great all by itself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Canemacar posted:

But that is why I love the initial three part story. It doesn't end with mandalore in any better position than it started with, just Obi-Wan saying that times were changing and the future of the planet was unclear. I loved that.

So you can imagine my annoyance when the next major mandalore story involved poisoned tea shipments, Satine burning evidence, and a goddamn Scooby-Doo adventure with Corkie and the Mando bunch. Then Pre Viszla shows up again, having lost a whole war with the New Mandalorians offscreen, to be a side character in an Ahsoka/Lux Bonteri love affair. The only good thing that came out of this was Bo-Katan and her awesome owl armour, but the story achieves nothing except hinting at something way more interesting we never got to see.

Then came the dumbest part of the Mandalorian plot when they decided they needed to splice it together with the horrendously mismanaged Darth Maul and Savage storyline. Maybe Darth Maul becomes more interesting in Rebels, but his appearance in Clone Wars is just embarassing. Okay, so you work with Death Watch to set up a proxy war between criminals and Mandos to take over the planet, and Pre becomes the Mandalore. That part I get. But why in god's name would the Death Watch and the rest of Mandalore suddenly unite under Maul as the new Manda'lor right after he murdered your boss? Last I checked, the Mandalorians don't work like that, and even Bo-Katan points out that Maul's takeover is complete bullshit. Why would the Death Watch decide to follow mr crazy legs and his idiot brother? There is no reason to, except that they needed to contrive a civil war to bring Obi Wan back to Mandalore so they could kill his girlfriend and make him feel bad.

The longer you watch The Clone Wars, the more apparent it becomes that they had no loving idea how to do long term planning, and wrote most of the episodes on the fly.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 4, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know, it seems fairly standard for a kids' show. Maybe that's reductive to say but I think that we're a bit of a peripheral audience. :shrug:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The OP seems out of date. Since the legitimacy of the mountains of badly written Star Wars novels I devoured as a child has been completely expunged by the new films, what is going on these days in the Star Wars EU? Are there new (canon) novels being written? When in the timeline are they occurring? Are there any authors clinging to the old timeline? Are any of these books any good?

Thanks

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

fridge corn posted:

The OP seems out of date. Since the legitimacy of the mountains of badly written Star Wars novels I devoured as a child has been completely expunged by the new films, what is going on these days in the Star Wars EU? Are there new (canon) novels being written? When in the timeline are they occurring? Are there any authors clinging to the old timeline? Are any of these books any good?

Thanks

There are new canon books out, and your opinion on them can vary, but here's my take of the ones I've read (I've fallen behind since the birth of my daughter).

Lost Stars by Claudia Gray
Fantastic book, and should probably be your first entry point to the new EU. It's considered Young Adult, but in the same way things like Hunger Games is considered YA. And let's not kid ourselves, we're reading Star Wars books, nothing here is dark and gritty adult literature. It focuses on a young girl and boy when one enters the Empire and one the Rebellion, but try to maintain their connection. It takes place during the original trilogy, and has them interacting or observing events from those films. It's widely considered (at least around here) to be the best the new EU has given so far.

Aftermath by Chuck Wendig
This is the first new EU book set completely after the original trilogy, and is pretty controversial. Not so much for what happens, but the way the book is written. First off, it's told present tense. As in, "He reaches for the gun and pulls the trigger." Basically, does this excerpt make you cringe or fill you with rage?

quote:

The sound like a giant bone breaking.

A fracture appears at the base of the statue.

More cheering. Yelling. And—

Applause as it comes crashing down.

The head of the statue snaps off, goes rolling and crashing into a fountain. Dark water splashes. The crowd laughs.

And then: The whooping of klaxons. Red lights strobe. Three airspeeders swoop down from the traffic lanes above—Imperial police. Red-and- black helmets. The glow of their lights reflected back in their helmets.

There comes no warning. No demand to stand down.

The laser cannons at the fore of each airspeeder open fire. Red bolts sear the air. The crowd is cut apart. Bodies dropped and stitched with fire.

Because there's a lot of poo poo like that in the book. There's a main thrust of the story with new characters that can be quite fun, but also random interludes like the above to show the state of the galaxy as it is today. It's a bizarre experience. If you do read this book, the general consensus is to listen to the audio book. It has sound effects and score mixed in, and the whole thing makes the present tense feel more like a radio drama.

Lords of the Sith by Paul S. Kemp
Opinions on this book are hit or miss, but I really enjoyed it. It's a bit more Vader as a force of destruction, if you're into that kind of thing, and a look into the galaxy under the Empire.

A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller
Do you watch Rebels? If so, read this book. It's a fun, if someone forgettable, backstory for Kanan and Hera, and has a decent story involving Kessel. I liked it, but it's nothing ground breaking. If you don't watch Rebels, there's probably not much here for you.

Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne
Luke Skywalker story taking place between ANH and ESB. I swear I read this book, and I think I liked it, but I barely remember anything about it.

Tarkin by James Luceno
This is a bad book. Do not read this book. It's billed as Tarkin, as he oversees the construction of the Death Star, putting down revolutionaries, but it keeps cutting back to boring moments of young Tarkin hunting or something. Like, in a, "Tarkin listened to the man, but couldn't help being reminded of his youth when," and then boring flashback scene. Happens a lot. Bad book.

Catalyst by James Luceno
Prequel book to Rogue One. I'm still reading it, but I'm enjoying it so far.

As far as old EU authors holding onto the old timeline, Timothy Zahn, of the beloved Thrawn trilogy, is writing a book entitled Thrawn, which, along with his appearance in Rebels this season, brings him back to the new EU. The book is supposed to lead up to his introduction in Rebels.

Someone else can chime in on the ones I haven't read. Oh, and if you're into comics, check out the Darth Vader comic line Marvel has out. It's great.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 4, 2017

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Bloodlines is also by Claudia Gray and is another fantastic book. It's set a few years before Force Awakens and helps flesh out the origins of the Resistance and First Order. There's a lot of politics, action, assassination attempts, and you even get to briefly see Ben Solo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Welp, the Tie Defender is back in Rebels Season 3. WIth Thrawn around, I wonder how long before Admiral Zaarin makes an appearance.

Also featured are Krennic's Shadow Troopers, actual Dark Troopers, what look like AT-AR walkers, and an adaptation of the Obi-Wan versus Maul tatooine battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upN-7ALj2OU

Warning, warning, warning, warning, warning, warning...

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 4, 2017

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

VaultAggie posted:

Bloodlines is also by Claudia Gray and is another fantastic book. It's set a few years before Force Awakens and helps flesh out the origins of the Resistance and First Order. There's a lot of politics, action, assassination attempts, and you even get to briefly see Ben Solo.

Seconding Bloodlines. Without giving too much away (oh heck, spoilers anyway) much of the plot deals with the public reveal that Leia is Darth Vader's daughter, and the ensuing shitstorm, which I always found a fascinating concept. Plus, the person we always knew as "Slave Leia" is revealed to be revered by a group of aliens as "Huttslayer", which I find beyond awesome.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Welp, the Tie Defender is back in Rebels Season 3. WIth Thrawn around, I wonder how long before Admiral Zaarin makes an appearance.

Also featured are Krennic's Shadow Troopers, actual Dark Troopers, what look like AT-AR walkers, and an adaptation of the Obi-Wan versus Maul tatooine battle.

Well, holy poo poo. Not to make an empty hype post...but this looks like its gonna be fantastic! I dig what looks like a really solid Sabine focused arc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Seconding Bloodlines. Without giving too much away (oh heck, spoilers anyway) much of the plot deals with the public reveal that Leia is Darth Vader's daughter, and the ensuing shitstorm, which I always found a fascinating concept. Plus, the person we always knew as "Slave Leia" is revealed to be revered by a group of aliens as "Huttslayer", which I find beyond awesome.

I kinda preferred it in I, Jedi where that spoiler never became public knowledge and Luke talking about it is a hugely personal moment of revelation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm watching A New Hope (despecialized, yay) and I noticed something in the soundtrack. Jyn Erso's theme from Rogue One is a slightly tweaked melody from the scene in Obi-Wan's home when Luke is talking about how he can't get involved.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

and an adaptation of the Obi-Wan versus Maul tatooine battle.

If they actually carry through with the Old Wounds comic ending, where Maul gets killed by Owen who then tells Obi-Wan that he's not needed to protect Luke and to stay away from him, I will be more than impressed. Somehow I doubt it, though.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Plus, the person we always knew as "Slave Leia" is revealed to be revered by a group of aliens as "Huttslayer", which I find beyond awesome.

This was actually something that got invented on Tumblr and the author saw and included in the book. I actually think that Bloodlines is kind of an interesting look at what happens when someone comes into professional writing out of fan culture - the author got her start writing in the 90s doing X-Files fan fiction, and besides the Tumblr Huttslayer thing she included a few references to other fanfiction works, she engaged in the venerable fan art of casting her characters with real-life actors, and I'm pretty sure she also released a list of songs she listened to while writing certain scenes to be the book's "soundtrack" also.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

^Y$@^&#$)&*_ Alec Guinness, you beauty.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I guess that means the TIE/D is no longer in the "so experimental there was only even one squadron at Endor" category.

Also I have no idea where it is (seriously, I've looked and looked) but somewhere around here I theoretically have one of those old Action Fleet TIE Defenders. Apparently they go for like 200 bucks on Ebay?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should bring Dengar back, give him his scar

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tumblr of scotch posted:

I guess that means the TIE/D is no longer in the "so experimental there was only even one squadron at Endor" category.

Also I have no idea where it is (seriously, I've looked and looked) but somewhere around here I theoretically have one of those old Action Fleet TIE Defenders. Apparently they go for like 200 bucks on Ebay?
I grabbed the Lego one years ago before it shot up above $100, of course that happens to all discontinued Lego. Maybe they'll do a Collector's Edition now that it's actually canon?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

They should bring Dengar back, give him his scar

Only if it's part of a Goofus and Gallant bit with Boba Fett.

Boba Fett shoots for center of mass, ensuring greater accuracy and leaves the head for positive identification.

Denver shoots himself in the foot.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One part of the Rogue One Visual Guide that interests me is that it mentions that the Star Destroyers in this film (and Ep IV) are Imperial i class, and that Vader's ship is the last to be produced before the Empire switched to producing Imperial ii class. So what's the difference? Is is basically some sperg noticing a difference in the models between A New Hope and Empire?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SirPhoebos posted:

One part of the Rogue One Visual Guide that interests me is that it mentions that the Star Destroyers in this film (and Ep IV) are Imperial i class, and that Vader's ship is the last to be produced before the Empire switched to producing Imperial ii class. So what's the difference? Is is basically some sperg noticing a difference in the models between A New Hope and Empire?

Essentially, yeah. I think the only difference is the thing on top of the command bridge/tower.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Essentially, yeah. I think the only difference is the thing on top of the command bridge/tower.

Huh. Never noticed that before.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, the Imperial-I/Imperial-II classification goes way back to the early WEG roleplaying sourcebooks from the 80s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Imperial 1 has a much taller profile with tons of extra poo poo on top of the bridge. However, while the Imperial 2 redesigned this, according to the Legends details, it was rushed into service and had dozens of weaknesses, especially trench run disease.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Woody in the Han Solo movie...hopefully Booster. I think he'd make a great Booster!

http://www.blastr.com/2017-1-4/woody-harrelson-talks-key-role-han-solo-movie

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 5, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chiming in to say thanks to everyone who recommended Bloodline. I really enjoyed it. Politics heavy, but it's the kind of book I was looking for to explain the general state of the galaxy post-ROTJ and pre-TFA. Reading online, it appears to have been put together from notes from the story team for the movies, including Rian Johnson for some stuff. I could have used some Luke and Ben beyond just references, but that's fine, not really what this book was about.

Between this and Lost Stars, Claudia Gray is really owning the new EU.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://mobile.twitter.com/starwars/status/819217391951355904

Rumors from early in the month suggested he'd be playing a mentor-type character to Han.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just finished both Aftermath books.

I really enjoyed them. As much as I hate battle droids, Bones grew on me and he wasn't overused.

I'm a big fan of them getting Kashyyyk out of the way early.
Sinjir is a good bloody character.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Wasn't a huge fan of the first but I really enjoyed the second. I need to go back to the first because I think it being so much different than I expected clouded my opinion.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, concept art from that never-made Darth Maul game only raises more questions then answers.

Set after Return of the Jedi? New Sith Empire, Darth Talon, what?

quote:

Back in 2011, I was fortunate enough to work with Lucas Arts and Redfly Studios to help develop the look direction for a new Star Wars IP that centered around Darth Maul. It took place in a future time line sometime after Return of the Jedi and was meant to have a darker, grittier tone. Unfortunately the project was conceived around the same time as the Disney acquisition. it was cancelled after 1 year of development. Definitely dream of getting the opportunity to work on another Star Wars related project, so much fun!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Wzwk2

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

So, concept art from that never-made Darth Maul game only raises more questions then answers.

Set after Return of the Jedi? New Sith Empire, Darth Talon, what?

This was covered in one of those comprehensive LucasArts autopsy articles that came out 2013 or so. As I recall there was a meeting for the then in development Maul game where Lucas came in, and in the middle of their presentation he started playing with Maul and Talon actions figures and had them kiss and told the group that she was Maul's girlfriend and to change the game to be about them, and then walked out. So they then had to figure out how to include Darth Talon in their Maul game. This is actually not me exaggerating, either.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He definitely pushed them together and exclaimed "Look, they're friends!"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

This was covered in one of those comprehensive LucasArts autopsy articles that came out 2013 or so. As I recall there was a meeting for the then in development Maul game where Lucas came in, and in the middle of their presentation he started playing with Maul and Talon actions figures and had them kiss and told the group that she was Maul's girlfriend and to change the game to be about them, and then walked out. So they then had to figure out how to include Darth Talon in their Maul game. This is actually not me exaggerating, either.

Really, George Lucas did everyone a favor in pushing the whole thing that much closer to cancellation.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I dunno. Apparently Jedi David Bowe was gonna be in it. That's something.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Darth Talon also shows up in the TFA artbook, if I remember right.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Chairman Capone posted:

The thing you have to realize in these stories is that George Lucas has the world's most deadpan delivery and is a famous troll, so there's a very good chance he was actually just loving with people in a meeting he didn't really care about. That's definitely the case for the story about "Darth Icky" and probably several dozen others.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Canemacar posted:

I dunno. Apparently Jedi David Bowe was gonna be in it. That's something.

I'll have you know that was the resurrected Emperor thank you very much. None of this musician poo poo. Probably doesn't even play Jizz wailer tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah head canon wise to me Legends Palpy in his youth looked like David Bowie.