Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bad Moon posted:

I thought daemon was a Greek thing

Could be. I just assumed they took an archaic looking spelling to be extra grim dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am glad that GW is finally honoring the results of the online campaign from 15 years ago with the fall of Acadia.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

BULBASAUR posted:

this just in star wars is renaming the Imperial faction to be the Empeerials faction as this will help with sales and brand recognition worldwide

Too be fair, with the First Order in TFA they basically did this. But that's really more like when GW had the 13th Company as a spinoff of Space Wolves or the Vostroyans as a spinoff of the IG.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Too be fair, with the First Order in TFA they basically did this. But that's really more like when GW had the 13th Company as a spinoff of Space Wolves or the Vostroyans as a spinoff of the IG.

The Vostroyans were pretty cool. I wish I had picked them up at the time. I don't suppose there are any similar space cossack models out there?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This also helps differentiate eras though. The Rebels fought the Empire and the Resistance fights the First Order while the Old Republic fought the Sith.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

Tzeentch is pronounced like Change, as in the Lord of Change.

Tzeentch and Tzoong.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hamshot posted:

Tzeentch and Tzoong.
So good warhammer media does exist!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Cinnamon Bear posted:

The Vostroyans were pretty cool. I wish I had picked them up at the time. I don't suppose there are any similar space cossack models out there?

I think Victoria Lamb did some

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
GW will not rest in their quest to copyright all of the things. Even if they probably shouldn't.

If it isn't true then it is a completely credible hoax.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So what are they going to rename the Tau, since that's just a Greek letter?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Drone posted:

Ataui would be good

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Drone posted:

Betas.

And then they'll get kicked around in every piece of fluff ever published.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Drone posted:

Taubloods, then Privateer sue them for being too similar to Trollbloods.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Voidborn Hoofymans

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

starkebn posted:

Ataui would be good

AuTauists

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ugleb posted:

GW will not rest in their quest to copyright all of the things. Even if they probably shouldn't.

If it isn't true then it is a completely credible hoax.

Much like when serious gaylord photoshopped a big Fantasy model onto a round base to try and prove a point; there was precedent for it and there was no reason not to believe they were going to round bases, so his point was lost.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Much like when serious gaylord photoshopped a big Fantasy model onto a round base to try and prove a point; there was precedent for it and there was no reason not to believe they were going to round bases, so his point was lost.

Serious Gaylord at least admitted he was wrong and joined the death thread after they evaporated brettonia

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Bad Moon posted:

That is an interesting philosophical question, is something worse if it was sudden and you had no idea what was going to happen or if you know your doom and how it will play out and no way to avert it
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

Serious Gaylord at least admitted he was wrong and joined the death thread after they evaporated brettonia

That poor man was broken by GW's betrayal.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That poor man was broken by GW's betrayal.

It's sad, really. Dude's a phenomenal painter but ever since AoS I haven't seen him paint anything :sigh:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
YouTube's Tabletop Minion almost gets it regards to GW

https://youtu.be/QGNJyFdGUqI

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Bad Moon posted:

I thought daemon was a Greek thing

There's a Greek word, pronounced the same, normally spelt 'daimon' in English, which means spirit or soul. I think it's the origin of 'demon' but don't quote me. The Greeks meant it very differently though, it didn't have any negative or sinister overtones.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Weirdly enough GW still makes them and now that they've been inflating the gently caress out of all their plastic boxes a squad of them is only like 6 bucks more than a squad of Cadians.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Ilor posted:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Tell that to Nintendo fans. Nintendo has been GWing it up since the 90s. (Except they usually make some good games in between being dickholes with terrible product launches.). N64-Switch. Don't cry for Zelda fans. They are already gone. :(

(Metroid 2d fans are uh.. WHFB people maybe? Advance Wars is Necromunda perhaps? I'm not sure where the Virtual Boy fits in my wise and mostly correct analogy though.. Dread fleet? )

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Captain Rufus posted:

Tell that to Nintendo fans. Nintendo has been GWing it up since the 90s. (Except they usually make some good games in between being dickholes with terrible product launches.). N64-Switch. Don't cry for Zelda fans. They are already gone. :(

(Metroid 2d fans are uh.. WHFB people maybe? Advance Wars is Necromunda perhaps? I'm not sure where the Virtual Boy fits in my wise and mostly correct analogy though.. Dread fleet? )

Nintendo gave up on Metroid before the Gamecube; Prime was outsourced to a no-name studio and then took an interest when the game turned out to not be poo poo. We're lucky prime 1 and 2 were good

The Switch looks bad but I'd be interested if it's going to replace the 3DS

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I love the Nintendo revisionism some people are so obsessed with, like it's still 1995 and they're wearing their faded SEGA shirt. Unlike GW, Nintendo is fairly transparent and we also have sales data and know roughly what kind of costs go into making a game. We also have a pretty good window into their decision making.

For Metroid the series basically always undersold compared to other Nintendo franchises. Nintendo also only has do much in house talent do it's not unusual for them to farm stuff out. The guys that made Advanced Wars were also the guys behind Fire Emblem. Once Awakenings proved that that franchise had legs, the team was fully dedicated to making more.

If we're extending the analogy what is the Wii and DS/3DS of GW? Surely you're not going to compare CEOs?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nintendo's in their own weird place.

They really can't compete with Sony and MS in terms of getting the best hardware and huge third party support, the competition has too much of a lead. This was their fault- they were too conservative about CD-ROM tech and online play and lost a lot of ground. So they tried doing their own thing and with the Wii, it worked- they had a cheap system with a fun accessible gimmick and made a fortune. But the casual market they found went on to mobile gaming, and the WiiU tried to meet that halfway and lost a fortune. The Switch seems focused on the whole "home multiplayer" thing, I dunno- the other consoles do seem to neglect party games, who knows.

They do some bad poo poo but unlike GW they do at least focus on games.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They are also capable of correcting course and actually listening to their shareholders. As well, they recognize that their strength is in portable gaming and they're merging their console experience into that. It's basically the smartest move they could make. I still don't buy the third party argument because Nintendo has never really been about third party stuff. I guess Square and them had a good thing going on the SNES, but they've always been carried by their flagships, which is the big difference between them and Microsoft and Sony.

The Wii U is a great console and I've thoroughly enjoyed mine, but they did gently caress up bad with just about every aspect of marketing and releasing it. But 3DS and Amiibo sales have kept them trucking and the Switch presales are looking really good.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Atlas Hugged posted:

I love the Nintendo revisionism some people are so obsessed with, like it's still 1995 and they're wearing their faded SEGA shirt. Unlike GW, Nintendo is fairly transparent and we also have sales data and know roughly what kind of costs go into making a game. We also have a pretty good window into their decision making.

For Metroid the series basically always undersold compared to other Nintendo franchises. Nintendo also only has do much in house talent do it's not unusual for them to farm stuff out. The guys that made Advanced Wars were also the guys behind Fire Emblem. Once Awakenings proved that that franchise had legs, the team was fully dedicated to making more.

If we're extending the analogy what is the Wii and DS/3DS of GW? Surely you're not going to compare CEOs?

Sure, I can believe that Metroid undersold. But they only farm stuff out that isn't a high priority. Advance Wars was a big hit and it wasn't some huge departure to have that studio work on Fire Emblem.

And honestly nothing GW has done will ever compare to the mistake Nintendo made by loving Sony over at CES in 1991

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sure, I can believe that Metroid undersold. But they only farm stuff out that isn't a high priority. Advance Wars was a big hit and it wasn't some huge departure to have that studio work on Fire Emblem.

And honestly nothing GW has done will ever compare to the mistake Nintendo made by loving Sony over at CES in 1991

Retro was the company behind Metroid Prime, the same first party Nintendo team behind Donkey Kong Country Returns and who also helped with Mario Kart 7 and who are still making games. Other M was done by Team Ninja, a third party studio with a fairly good record up until that point. Intelligent Systems is not owned by Nintendo though they are closely affiliated and they were behind Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. Game Freak does Pokemon and they're not owned by Nintendo either, though the IP is shared between three companies including Nintendo. Basically they farm out major properties all the time.

The point with IS doing Fire Emblem over Advance Wars is just a question of resources. They can only really be working on one or the other at any given time and when Awakening did gangbusters they went whole-hog into that franchise. Had Awakening failed, it was supposedly going to be the last Fire Emblem game so they would have been free to go back to Advance Wars at that point had they wanted to. The last Advance Wars title also sold miserably, so there wasn't a lot motivating them to return to the series.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Probably true, but also pretty false equivalence since GW does absurd things regularly right now as opposed to a decision from 25 years ago.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Atlas Hugged posted:

Did Iwata ever have a mullet like Ansell's? (3ds I dunno because GW would never drop the price of a thing and give early adopters goodies as an apology. New 3DS is pretty iffy in loving customers over though.)

The Wii is LotR Minis. Did absurd numbers, got new customers, fell on its face long term. (I don't regret buying either however. Wii has the Data East Arcade Collection which is GOOD STUFF. Do I regret freezing my rear end off for a launch Wii? Yes. Do I regret owning one? No.)

I guess Space Hulk v3 is the NES Mini? Fake shortages to increase demand, ends up costing sales of a product that could have sold way more and way better based on nostalgic love. Except the NES Mini doesn't have a nightmare inducing level of over bling on it. God those Terminators are like a nightmare. Faction specific and more goddamnned bling than a bad Mr T parody.

Oh, and both fail to have expand ability even though both loving scream for expansion stuff. SCREAM.

Also White Dwarf and Nintendo Power. Propaganda house rag that from time to time was a loving AMAZING resource especially in the pre Internet age. You know, that thing both companies clearly loathe and wish would go away?

I guess AM2R is the fan made Space Hulk game that got turned into Alien Assault? Except actual real pro made Space Hulk is decent instead of whatever the gently caress Federation Force is.

Switch peripherals are totally GW hobby tools though. Overpriced to the point of being an insult. Except those of you who want the Switch are kinda hosed and have to buy em. Because even if there are 3rd party solutions they probably will either be around the same price for quality ones (Hori), or cheap and god awful. (Everyone else unless ASCII still makes controllers?)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Atlas Hugged posted:

Retro was the company behind Metroid Prime, the same first party Nintendo team behind Donkey Kong Country Returns and who also helped with Mario Kart 7 and who are still making games. Other M was done by Team Ninja, a third party studio with a fairly good record up until that point. Intelligent Systems is not owned by Nintendo though they are closely affiliated and they were behind Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. Game Freak does Pokemon and they're not owned by Nintendo either, though the IP is shared between three companies including Nintendo. Basically they farm out major properties all the time.

The point with IS doing Fire Emblem over Advance Wars is just a question of resources. They can only really be working on one or the other at any given time and when Awakening did gangbusters they went whole-hog into that franchise. Had Awakening failed, it was supposedly going to be the last Fire Emblem game so they would have been free to go back to Advance Wars at that point had they wanted to. The last Advance Wars title also sold miserably, so there wasn't a lot motivating them to return to the series.

I have no idea what point you're trying to make. I know all this; none of it changes the fact that Nintendo didn't think Metroid was a big enough priority to work on it in-house. Retro hadn't released a single game at the time they made the decision to license their IP to them.

Ultiville posted:

Probably true, but also pretty false equivalence since GW does absurd things regularly right now as opposed to a decision from 25 years ago.

Sure, I guess? It's hard to top "literally creating your biggest competitor by backing out on a major deal and embarrassing them on a global stage"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

I have no idea what point you're trying to make. I know all this; none of it changes the fact that Nintendo didn't think Metroid was a big enough priority to work on it in-house. Retro hadn't released a single game at the time they made the decision to license their IP to them.

Nintendo regularly uses first and third party studios to develop flagship games. Handing it off to a new studio is not a big deal. That studio has not made a bad game since being given an opportunity to work on the franchise and so I can't see how Nintendo made a mistake here. I'm sure there were meetings and Retro had to make a demo to show Nintendo what they were capable of before Nintendo gave them the greenlight and funding to make the whole game.

Captain Rufus posted:

Switch peripherals are totally GW hobby tools though. Overpriced to the point of being an insult. Except those of you who want the Switch are kinda hosed and have to buy em. Because even if there are 3rd party solutions they probably will either be around the same price for quality ones (Hori), or cheap and god awful. (Everyone else unless ASCII still makes controllers?)

This just seems like internet warrior whining to me. The Joycons are expensive, but they are two functioning controllers with a bunch of features built in. It's not like the XBONE doesn't also have expensive controller options. I can't fathom why you'd need a second dock. It's not like people regularly switch what TV their PS4 is hooked into, though I guess Sony does give you the option of streaming if you have a Vita or an expensive smartphone. The pro controller is probably the only one that is legitimately overpriced.

And a lot of this is moot if the idea is that you and your friends each have a Switch in the same that each of your friends each have a 3DS. But at least the Switch has 2 player functionality right out of the box.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Retro was literally started so that there would be a team of people to develop Gamecube games aimed at older gamers and Nintendo specifically staffed it with people they trusted with that task. This is what I mean by revisionism. Nintendo didn't arbitrarily throw Metroid at some random company that hadn't done anything. Nintendo owned Retro and had very specific goals for them in mind.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nintendo regularly uses first and third party studios to develop flagship games. Handing it off to a new studio is not a big deal. That studio has not made a bad game since being given an opportunity to work on the franchise and so I can't see how Nintendo made a mistake here. I'm sure there were meetings and Retro had to make a demo to show Nintendo what they were capable of before Nintendo gave them the greenlight and funding to make the whole game.

Nintendo regularly does this now, but it was a big deal back in 2000. Most of their third party studio use was limited to Gameboy games. The game preceding Metroid Prime was Super Metroid (though Fusion would end up coming out around the same time), to massive critical acclaim, though too late in the SNES' hardware lifespan to generate massive sales. It's still widely considered one of the greatest games of all time. Handing off development of the new Metroid game to a third-party was a big deal. It obviously wasn't a mistake to farm it out to Retro in hindsight--the first two Prime games were great and sold very well--but that wasn't a guarantee, given that it was the studio's first game. My point was never that handing the series off to Retro was a mistake, my point was that Nintendo handed it off to Retro because they didn't consider the property to be that important. We (and they) are lucky that the move paid off--it was far from a sure thing. It didn't go so well with Other M.

It is insane that Nintendo feels like they cannot make a profit off the Metroid franchise, to the point that we haven't even seen another handheld game for the series.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Retro was literally started so that there would be a team of people to develop Gamecube games aimed at older gamers and Nintendo specifically staffed it with people they trusted with that task. This is what I mean by revisionism. Nintendo didn't arbitrarily throw Metroid at some random company that hadn't done anything. Nintendo owned Retro and had very specific goals for them in mind.

No, Retro was founded by the guy who founded Iguana. Nintendo bought in much later on. The studio had worked on a bunch of prototypes and nothing had been released by the time they saw Retro's FPS engine, and then they were like "hey you should make a Metroid game with this"

e: Their goal *was* to work with Nintendo to make GC games targeted to older folks, but they were a third-party developer that Nintendo didn't own

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 18, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Nintendo still bought Retro before Prime 1 was released and Miyamoto personally suggested that they work on the title based on what he had seen of their engine. I don't in any of that see "they threw a property that they didn't care about to an untested company". And having third parties work on projects for Nintendo on the Gameboy only resulted in one of the biggest media franchises in history, so I can't really blame them for taking a model that worked and expanding on it successfully as they have since.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Atlas Hugged posted:

This just seems like internet warrior whining to me. The Joycons are expensive, but they are two functioning controllers with a bunch of features built in. It's not like the XBONE doesn't also have expensive controller options. I can't fathom why you'd need a second dock. It's not like people regularly switch what TV their PS4 is hooked into, though I guess Sony does give you the option of streaming if you have a Vita or an expensive smartphone. The pro controller is probably the only one that is legitimately overpriced.

And a lot of this is moot if the idea is that you and your friends each have a Switch in the same that each of your friends each have a 3DS. But at least the Switch has 2 player functionality right out of the box.

I think you are taking it all a little too serious and personal dude. It's mostly joking with truth on the side, you know, what the Death Thread is all about.

But like anyone is gonna get a Switch at launch besides scalpers so lol on friend stuff. It's gonna be the NES Mini 2/Wii in that regard. No GW analogy I can think of though. Games Day LE things that are actually LE like that Crimson Fist mini or the Rogue Trader reprint maybe?

Still not sure where I can fit Fire Emblem waifu touching in though. Or Sisters of Battle, Brettonians, or Tomb Kings. Gimme a while I am sure I can figure something stupid out!

Hmm.. Is Heroquest/Space Crusade akin to Earthbound only with slightly less of an insane fan cult wanting a rerelease? (Also I want the Leading Edge Aliens boardgame brought back if we want old rear end board games reprinted. And maybe WEG's Attack on Hoth that I am spending a good 30 dollars to give miniatures to make it pretty. I have my STs and Snowspeeders already, and some of those cheap block battle thingies will give me my ATATs and Rebel Turret defenses meaning only infantry will be card standees. I suppose I COULD use some of those pocket model card figure Tauntauns and Imp Speeders as Heavy Infantry to at least make some of them fancy....)

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Huh, all this time I've lived under the misconception that Prime was Rare's swansong before one of the most celebrated developers of an era began to suck hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Hra Mormo posted:

Huh, all this time I've lived under the misconception that Prime was Rare's swansong before one of the most celebrated developers of an era began to suck hard.

Rare is also a lot like GW in being from the UK and not actually that good. Just the fans hadn't seen actual good things yet like computer FPSes or games that weren't Spectrum abusefests and didn't know any better. Just like GW games because actual good wargames were still mostly cardboard chit at the time!

:v:

• Locked thread