Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SennyYak
May 10, 2010
And a couple of new Takagi-san chapters. They're adorable! Especially chapter 44. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

El Burbo posted:

It's kaguya

Fujiwara getting it immediately was a good gag.

Kind of an interesting translation, from the comments. I guess there was no good phrase for the Japanese equivalent, so they went with "alpha."

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
What's the japanese word?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Pavlov posted:

What's the japanese word?

According to the comments on Batoto:

quote:

They use 神ってる, which is fairly recent slang for 神がかっている, something like divine possession. The implication is you did something so amazing you must have had God helping you or something along those lines, I just went with "alpha" at first because I couldn't think of any other slang terms that fit but it ended up working better than I thought.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

http://bato.to/reader#5ebf8b6dfc558c10

Two Men and A Baby

its good

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

!!
I've been waiting for this one

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey, look who's back

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Haha, the mother's excuse for needing to leave the baby with the guys "I just realized I need to gently caress off to be a war photographer!"

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I'm personally thrilled by this, but I know that last panel is gonna reflect some goon opinions of this returning.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
There's a new chapter of Really Loves The Eighties Dude (and Gal) and it is adorable :3:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The ponytail is a better look than the mass of hair. Stick with ponytail, 80s Girl.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Like Haruhi she knows that her ponytail is too powerful to be worn everyday.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Mors Rattus posted:

The ponytail is a better look than the mass of hair. Stick with ponytail, 80s Girl.

Ain't nobody askin' you for 80s fashion advice.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

I prefer the mass of hair, which is presumably supposed to be the manga equivalent of this:

which I really like a lot.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Kaguya ever reads this new chapter, there'll be blood flowing freely in the Student Council office - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kaguya-s...epare?id=343611

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

JosephWongKS posted:

If Kaguya ever reads this new chapter, there'll be blood flowing freely in the Student Council office - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kaguya-s...epare?id=343611

Such a romantic chapter. :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the skeletons are being very cute in the new Colette :3:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Anyone read Tokyo Tarareba Musume by Akiko Higashimura? Noticed there was suddenly a jdrama adaptation airing. Worth a look?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

the skeletons are being very cute in the new Colette :3:

Not seeing it up, link?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read it on mangago which is why I didn't add a link to begin with XD
http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/colette_wa_shinu_koto_ni_shita/mf/tr_chapter-16/pg-1/

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Thanks! That was a super adorable chapter!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's a brand new Hana and Hina! :neckbeard::neckbeard:
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hana_and_hina_after_school_ch13

Morinagaaaaaaa :argh::argh::mad::arghfist:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:3:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

two kinds of people

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

The pulse-pounding, fish-handling, horror-movie-marathon date chapter. The gag on page 7 had me laughing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, I was wondering, are there any heterosexual romance manga that are sort of "neutral" in terms of intended audience, in the sense that the guy and the girl are a sort of realistic pair (like an attractive girl interested in an attractive guy, etc)? For example, the sort of thing where most guys reading it might think "I want to date a girl like that" and most girls reading it would also think "I want to date a guy like that"? It seems like the overwhelming majority are written from the perspective of the male/female protagonist who the reader is supposed to relate to in some way (and is usually average in appearance/social skills, if not worse) dating/pursuing someone who is obviously portrayed as being more attractive and desirable. I guess the main reason I'm wondering about this is that a lot of romance manga give me this sort of cognitive dissonance where I'm constantly thinking "why would this person be attracted to this other person", and even when it's plausible it doesn't feel that natural.

Shounen/seinen romance is obviously a little worse in this regard, in that the guy is almost always average at best and usually is pretty socially awkward. Shoujo/josei is also usually like this, though there seem to be more frequent exceptions (I'm pretty sure I've encountered Shoujo comics where the protagonist is explicitly supposed to be really pretty/attractive). But even then, the romantic interest is usually someone "above" the protagonist in appearance and/or social/financial status.

One example I think people might give but that I actually disagree with is Bonnouji. While it's better than most in this regard, I still get the distinct impression that most guys reading it are supposed to think "I would like to date that woman" about the woman, but most women reading would not think "I would want to date that guy " (I mean, some might, but it's still obviously meant to appeal mostly to male sensibilities). Like, the guy definitely has his poo poo together more than most male leads in non-shoujo/josei manga, but it doesn't feel like he's written in a way that is intended to be appealing to women.

(I'm sort of omitting comedy-focused manga here, since I know there are some exceptions in that genre, usually in shoujo manga.)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 23, 2017

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The other mang by the Bonnouji lady, Wizard's Soul

and her touhou doujins ;)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think any of her Touhou doujins are het though

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I was wondering, are there any heterosexual romance manga that are sort of "neutral" in terms of intended audience, in the sense that the guy and the girl are a sort of realistic pair

The Kimi ni Todoke couple is pretty realistic I think even though she's less social but they're also equally boring

Not really romance manga but Silver Spoon I think counts

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Similiarly not romance, I like how shonen tennis manga Baby Steps handles it's romance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DisDisDis posted:

The other mang by the Bonnouji lady, Wizard's Soul

and her touhou doujins ;)

Wizard's Soul is actually a pretty good example of what I'm talking about; I have a hard time really saying whether readers are supposed to find the protagonist or the guy attractive/appealing.

That overclocking manga might also work. The protagonist is male and the love interest is an attractive girl, but the art style is such that the protagonist also looks pretty good and is a fairly talented violinist, etc.

Baron Snow posted:

Similiarly not romance, I like how shonen tennis manga Baby Steps handles it's romance.

I also think it's executed fairly well, though the romance is still obviously intended to appeal more to male readers (his love interest is explicitly really cute/talented while the main character is a kinda short/average and somewhat socially awkward guy).

Vesi posted:

The Kimi ni Todoke couple is pretty realistic I think even though she's less social but they're also equally boring

Not really romance manga but Silver Spoon I think counts

Kimi ni Todoke is actually pretty typical for shoujo in the sense that it's about an unpopular girl who ends up with a popular, good looking guy. While Sawako is also good looking, it's clear that the intent is mostly for female readers to find the guy appealing.

Silver Spoon is closer, though I would also argue that there's a little more of an intent for male readers to find Mikage cute than for female readers to find Hachiken cute (though only a little). But as you mentioned the romance is secondary to the comedy/slice of life in that manga.

Also, just in case I wasn't clear in my original post, I don't think there's anything really wrong with romance manga being written to appeal to a particular gender; I'm just curious about examples where that isn't the case (since they're pretty uncommon). In particular, it seems like manga with male protagonists often have pretty unconvincing romances that leave you wondering why the lead girl/woman finds him attractive (either that, or they provide some contrived reason, like the protagonist saving her life).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I was wondering, are there any heterosexual romance manga that are sort of "neutral" in terms of intended audience, in the sense that the guy and the girl are a sort of realistic pair (like an attractive girl interested in an attractive guy, etc)? For example, the sort of thing where most guys reading it might think "I want to date a girl like that" and most girls reading it would also think "I want to date a guy like that"? It seems like the overwhelming majority are written from the perspective of the male/female protagonist who the reader is supposed to relate to in some way (and is usually average in appearance/social skills, if not worse) dating/pursuing someone who is obviously portrayed as being more attractive and desirable. I guess the main reason I'm wondering about this is that a lot of romance manga give me this sort of cognitive dissonance where I'm constantly thinking "why would this person be attracted to this other person", and even when it's plausible it doesn't feel that natural.

Shounen/seinen romance is obviously a little worse in this regard, in that the guy is almost always average at best and usually is pretty socially awkward. Shoujo/josei is also usually like this, though there seem to be more frequent exceptions (I'm pretty sure I've encountered Shoujo comics where the protagonist is explicitly supposed to be really pretty/attractive). But even then, the romantic interest is usually someone "above" the protagonist in appearance and/or social/financial status.

One example I think people might give but that I actually disagree with is Bonnouji. While it's better than most in this regard, I still get the distinct impression that most guys reading it are supposed to think "I would like to date that woman" about the woman, but most women reading would not think "I would want to date that guy " (I mean, some might, but it's still obviously meant to appeal mostly to male sensibilities). Like, the guy definitely has his poo poo together more than most male leads in non-shoujo/josei manga, but it doesn't feel like he's written in a way that is intended to be appealing to women.

(I'm sort of omitting comedy-focused manga here, since I know there are some exceptions in that genre, usually in shoujo manga.)

It might be too comedy focused to meet your criteria, but from reactions to Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii it seems to fit that. Interestingly, it's a series that started on pixiv and doesn't get published in a magazine, so there was no editor breathing down their neck about demographics; I imagine that plays a part.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

horimiya maybe? its shonen but instead of being kinda an everyman the dude is secretly handsome with tatoos/piercing and overall ~cool~, which i could see a girl being into

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the shoujo with the super chubby guy

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the josei manga & has a pretty and fairly successful lead and her romantic interests are an older doctor who has a lovely personality (but is handsome/successful) and her shy nerdy friend (who is also handsome and successful)

by successful I mean
-Dr. has an established career
-Nerd friend has his own programming business w/multiple employees
-Lead has a day job at a hospital and is starting her own business

I think everyone involved is fairly "desirable" from a normal societal standpoint as in they aren't like total failures at life that make you wonder what anyone sees in them even though they're all dysfunctional enough to generate drama and conflict.

You also might check out Suppli which I haven't read far enough into yet to say much about but it seems like most of the characters are working professionals of some sort which puts them more on equal footing. I've actually had the books forever and just haven't been in the mood for it beyond reading like half of the first volume D:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 23, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

horimiya maybe? its shonen but instead of being kinda an everyman the dude is secretly handsome with tatoos/piercing and overall ~cool~, which i could see a girl being into

Yeah, Horimiya is interesting in that I initially thought it was shoujo. The male lead definitely seems more like a typical shoujo love interest.

Something else that comes to mind is that Yankee-kun to Megane-chan manga (which I didn't really enjoy, but it did more or less fulfill the criteria I mentioned). Though stuff like that is partly why I tried to exclude comedy-focused series (like the one where the girl likes the chubby guy).

Everything Burrito posted:

the josei manga & has a pretty and fairly successful lead and her romantic interests are an older doctor who has a lovely personality (but is handsome/successful) and her shy nerdy friend (who is also handsome and successful)
When thinking of josei manga this came to mind. It seems like many josei manga involve very successful women with even more successful men. Like the woman will be division head at her corporation but the love interest will be CEO. They also seem to frequently play up the "lifestyle" element of the romance in addition to the romance itself. Sort of like Sex in the City or something, where the whole "living in the city with a cool life" aspect is just as important as the romance/drama.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Yeah there's definitely a bunch of josei that fits the bill, but I feel like relatively little of it gets translated (at least in manga form, lots of them get live action adaptations that I assume you can find subs for). Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu is a big one that ended recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

quote:

Silver Spoon is closer, though I would also argue that there's a little more of an intent for male readers to find Mikage cute than for female readers to find Hachiken cute (though only a little). But as you mentioned the romance is secondary to the comedy/slice of life in that manga.

The meat that Hachiken raises is cute