Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Don't read the reply tweets on that because 80% of them think it's just a case of a bunch of weak-willed, soft kids, as if once someone is in the "proper" shape it becomes impossible to hurt them via training and conditioning hard. I bet if Oregon went 12-1 last year they'd be crawling up the S&C staff's rear end over this, though.

Never underestimate the power of people who think rhabdo is something you get inoculated for as an infant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm still incredibly mad that Iowa didn't fire our strength coach when that happened there. Instead Kirk made up an assistant coach of the year award just to give it to him

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
byrne is likely a pro-cowbell vote in the sec so he's cool by me

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Pawwwwwllll I'm getting sick and tired of these yellow bellied millennial athletes faking passing out..

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ugh god, the comments on that article.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/joethomas73/status/821181636784099329

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

For what it's worth, you know who had open discussions about social issues, and supported his players raising a fist to the national anthem this season?

Jim Harbaugh!

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
imo have the athletes' grievances heard by a committee of the surviving junction boys

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MourningView posted:

I'm still incredibly mad that Iowa didn't fire our strength coach when that happened there. Instead Kirk made up an assistant coach of the year award just to give it to him

When I pulled up the Yahoo article and saw Rhabdo I thought "just like Iowa a few years ago" and then in the last paragraph there was Iowa! We are way better at giving people Rhabdo though because we sent like 11 guys you really need to work on your player-killing skills Oregon.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Let's be fair, the mistake was taking a team that hadn't been working out and throwing them into an intense workout rather than the workout itself being too intense.

Basically, on its own, what they did was fine, but being the first thing they did when getting back from break was a poor idea.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

kayakyakr posted:

Let's be fair, the mistake was taking a team that hadn't been working out and throwing them into an intense workout rather than the workout itself being too intense.

Basically, on its own, what they did was fine, but being the first thing they did when getting back from break was a poor idea.

No, whatever they did was too much. Out of shape people don't really get rhabdo because they listen to their bodies and stop when it's had too much. Rhabdo is what happens when in-shape people ignore their bodies (or are forced to ignore) and continue to exercise well past its breaking point. There's a reason rhabdo is a Crossfit thing and not something you see at your local YMCA.

Oregon being lovely right now doesn't mean their players are FCS cast-offs who would struggle with a high school workout regimen. The kids are in shape, they were simply overworked. This is not a hell week thing where kids are just puking a lot and are more tired because of the system shock, this was just too much conditioning.

e: and it's not to say it's not somewhat understandable as running kids into the ground in the winter as a new HC is just what's done but this was clearly too intense. It's not something they'll adjust to, it's something that will need to be dialed back.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 17, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AsInHowe posted:

For what it's worth, you know who had open discussions about social issues, and supported his players raising a fist to the national anthem this season?

Jim Harbaugh!

what does that have to do with the post you quoted

look at this entitled pansy probably never played a real sport

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

look at this entitled pansy probably never played a real sport

I mean, he does play for the browns.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

what does that have to do with the post you quoted

If a top tier head coach gets behind the players' perspective, maybe that will influence other coaches to be better.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Crotch Bat posted:

No, whatever they did was too much. Out of shape people don't really get rhabdo because they listen to their bodies and stop when it's had too much. Rhabdo is what happens when in-shape people ignore their bodies (or are forced to ignore) and continue to exercise well past its breaking point. There's a reason rhabdo is a Crossfit thing and not something you see at your local YMCA.

Oregon being lovely right now doesn't mean their players are FCS cast-offs who would struggle with a high school workout regimen. The kids are in shape, they were simply overworked. This is not a hell week thing where kids are just puking a lot and are more tired because of the system shock, this was just too much conditioning.

e: and it's not to say it's not somewhat understandable as running kids into the ground in the winter as a new HC is just what's done but this was clearly too intense. It's not something they'll adjust to, it's something that will need to be dialed back.

A single guy getting rhabdo is bad luck, even two could be supremely bad luck, but multiple players is a sign of pushing people far beyond their limits. Its super lovely for everyone involved, and I still hold the idea of not attributing to malice what can be attributed to ignorance, but man, someone has got to go for this.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

swickles posted:

A single guy getting rhabdo is bad luck, even two could be supremely bad luck, but multiple players is a sign of pushing people far beyond their limits. Its super lovely for everyone involved, and I still hold the idea of not attributing to malice what can be attributed to ignorance, but man, someone has got to go for this.

Agreed. This was very likely just some stupid S&C coaching but at the same time you wonder where does the responsibility lie in their job if they're not only allowing kids to become dangerously ill under their care but being directly responsible for it. At some point ignorance should cease to be an excuse for a poorly done job.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Forming a coalition could distract them from their goal of winning the Big Ten.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Forming a coalition could distract them from their goal of winning the Big Ten.

Who, the Browns?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Crotch Bat posted:

They should fire the coaches and bring Chip back, he was all about proper conditioning

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The thing that bites me about the whole Oregon thing is that only a fraction of the players on the team will make it to the NFL, and even of that, not all of them will do anything but be a special teams only player because they're that far down the depth chart (or practice squad).

But paying student athletes and treating them with respect? Nah.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

Who, the Browns?

Please, the Browns couldn't even win the Big Ten that year where Todd Boeckmann quarterbacked Ohio State to a national championship berth and Illinois played in the Rose Bowl.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Emron posted:

Uncomfortable embraces are a thing all programs should avoid in light of recent years

Maybe this is something you could have brought up before we hired coach smooches?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

They suspended the Oregon S&C coach a month without pay. Seems like a fair punishment to me.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

They suspended the Oregon S&C coach a month without pay. Seems like a fair punishment to me.

Yeah I came to post this. I think it shows that they are taking it seriously.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/seanjwagner/status/821469028212293632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

hell yeah

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Strong visit to Clemson but the kid tweeted he's still a Bama lean

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I legitimately think the coach should be fired. Rhabdo isn't something that's easy to get. There is no reason to EVER push someone so far that they come close to the damage required to cause that type of breakdown. The fact that it happened to multiple kids shows that the S&C staff is using outdated training methodologies, and aren't able to program safely for the people in their charge.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Rick posted:

Jesus, the brutal Arizona offseason gets about as bad as it could possibly be. Greg Byrne did an awesome job of pulling the football program out of a deep tailspin, and even if things are kind of bad on the field now, the program is still worlds healthier than when he got there. Not to mention all the good things he did with every other sport.

Byrne did an excellent job, he deserves this promotion and I hope he does well.

LOL, Arizona football stunk up the place in the 80s when I was an undergrad there! Aside from a couple of notable seasons, such as the Desert Swarm years, Arizona is always terrible at football. U of A has always been much more focused on baseball and basketball, both from an institutional standpoint and from a fan standpoint. Football is an afterthought there and always has been.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Korranus posted:

Strong visit to Clemson but the kid tweeted he's still a Bama lean

'crutin

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Dilber posted:

I legitimately think the coach should be fired. Rhabdo isn't something that's easy to get. There is no reason to EVER push someone so far that they come close to the damage required to cause that type of breakdown. The fact that it happened to multiple kids shows that the S&C staff is using outdated training methodologies, and aren't able to program safely for the people in their charge.

Apparently Taggart brought his S&C coach to replace Radcliffe who's so well respected that a lot of his books are published by Human Kinetics. Essentially one of the best S&C coaches in the country was replaced by Taggart's significantly less qualified buddy. Radcliffe is still overseeing all the other athletes at Oregon so hopefully Taggart wises up at some point.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Dilber posted:

I sincerely wish all the players a safe and speedy recovery...

But, I think we are all missing how humorous this episode is. For example, this article about how last season went wrong for Oregon was published apparently after the players were hospitalized, but before the news was released:

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2017/01/how_the_oregon_ducks_football.html

quote:

In the weight room during the offseason, a large number of players, and rarely the same ones, balked at completing UO's weightlifting workouts. One current Duck -- who like all players interviewed requested anonymity in exchange for their candor -- recalled teammates who finished workouts to the letter, but with much lighter weights. Another said it was common for some to mark down that they had completed all the repetitions -- even though they had not done so.

At the height of summer, players left the weight room barely sweating.

"Half effort," one player said. "Cutting corners."

In the offseason, when NCAA rules limit how often position coaches can observe workouts, sneaking this past the powers that be wasn't difficult. Though UO's strength and conditioning coaches have offices in the football complex's sparkling weight room, many keep their primary offices in the Casanova Center's old facility where they work with other UO teams, too.

The cost of those incomplete workouts added up.

Oops

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I wonder if Oregon would've just re-hired Chip Kelly over Taggart if Chip had just gotten fired a month earlier.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah it was one thing when it was Iowa and the coach had like a decade of being one of the best strength coaches in the country for the school (and, again, Doyle 100% should have been fired). This dude had been on the job for less than a week.

E: blaming the players is loving awful. If they weren't in shape or prepared for a workout like that, it's the job of the coach to know that and not give them a workout that's going to be so unsafe that it literally gives them early stage kidney failure

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Dilber posted:

I think there's also an implied (if not overt) contract that a coach abides by to keep their players safe (or as safe as possible).

This seems like it flies in the face of one of the central tenets of coaching, and I'm with you: he should be fired.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Oregon's rhabdogate is a weird situation. It honestly doesn't sound like the workout was that crazy, more that the guys were just totally out of shape, though the new S&C guys absolutely 100% should've figured that out and been aware of that. They obviously deserve the blame.

That said I lift with some of the football players and see a lot of them workout and with a few specific exceptions, the guys haven't been doing anything that intense or directed. We're talking showing up for 20 minutes, doing some really half-assed poo poo and leaving. Oregon used to be big on conditioning over strength and effectively encouraged that. In the last couple years the conditioning has looked worse and the strength has continued to be p sub par. It's been in a bad state. Just looking at the guys on the Oregon sideline vs other teams this year has been really telling, a lot of the players looked like infrequent lifters at best. Similarly you could just watch the Ducks run out of steam in the second half and sometimes even in the 2nd quarter.

Irele should have handled poo poo better, but it's a weird situation to walk into. Wtf do you do when the team you're hired to train is in their current position in large part because a substantial amount of the team has been seriously blowing off workouts. What do you do with football players who don't want to lift weights and refuse to be held accountable by either teammates or coaches? That's just an absurd situation to be in in the first place. This also cycles back to Helfrich and how tf exactly he let the team get away with so much poo poo

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

. Wtf do you do when the team you're hired to train is in their current position in large part because a substantial amount of the team has been seriously blowing off workouts. What do you do with football players who don't want to lift weights and refuse to be held accountable by either teammates or coaches? That's just an absurd situation to be in in the first place. This also cycles back to Helfrich and how tf exactly he let the team get away with so much poo poo

Design workouts to get them where they need to be rather than throwing them to the wolves?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Rhabdomyolysis? I barely even KNOW myolysis!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Regnevelc posted:

Design workouts to get them where they need to be rather than throwing them to the wolves?

What would be a good way to ease people into that? Maybe some bodyweight squats, pushups, burpees, etc. that they can opt out of at any time? Oh wait

E: to be clear, not blaming the players, just point out how absurd it is that the kind of workout you give to 40 year old resolutioner office workers gave a bunch of college athletes rhabdo. That's just ridiculous. Obviously Irele should have an individual fitness assessment and tailored the program accordingly, that goes without saying.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Oregon's rhabdogate is a weird situation. It honestly doesn't sound like the workout was that crazy, more that the guys were just totally out of shape, though the new S&C guys absolutely 100% should've figured that out and been aware of that. They obviously deserve the blame.

An hour of continuous push ups and up downs is exactly the kind of thing that causes Rhabdo. Low weight high rep work for extended duration is a pretty good description for how to cause Rhabdo, especially if it's targeting muscle groups that aren't built for that kind of constant load, like the upper arms.

Being fit doesn't prevent Rhabdo, and can probably contribute since those people are more likely to push through pain and have the cardiovascular strength to keep working at moderate intensity for long periods.

It's the sort of thing you see at lovely crossfit gyms do to people, but you'd hope a professional S&C coach would know better, especially at a place like Oregon where money to pay good people isn't in short supply.

• Locked thread