Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i'm pretty sure that i qualify as a 0.6x, maaaybe 0.7x programmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm a log(10x) programmer

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
i'm an O(n^10) programmer

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm an actual worker

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

I liked my job a lot and had golden handcuffs for a while there so moving was not really an option. these days they aren't quite handcuffs anymore and while I still do some cool poo poo I bet I could find plenty of interesting stuff elsewhere

golden handcuffs own

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Anyone here tried Hired? It's an okay platform, but especially fun to lol @ the various seed stage places who are hard up looking for people and approach you even if you're under-qualified for the senior elite ninja 10x positions they advertise for. I guess it's like browsing Angelist startups except they come to you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mishaq posted:

golden handcuffs own

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Maximo Roboto posted:

Anyone here tried Hired? It's an okay platform, but especially fun to lol @ the various seed stage places who are hard up looking for people and approach you even if you're under-qualified for the senior elite ninja 10x positions they advertise for. I guess it's like browsing Angelist startups except they come to you.

ya the platform as a whole declined me lmao

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Maximo Roboto posted:

hmm, seems interesting. Angelist is all awful, is it any better?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Bloody posted:

ya the platform as a whole declined me lmao

They declined me and then later sent me an email asking if I had any friends that might wanna sign up for it lol

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

ADINSX posted:

They declined me and then later sent me an email asking if I had any friends that might wanna sign up for it lol

this is similar to my experience contacting recruiters on linkedin

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

also new jobs are inherently less boring than old jobs
yeah

every job has some good bits and lots of bad bits, the longer you stay the more you take the good bits for granted and let the bad bits get on your nerves

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am so loving nervous about this interview today it's stupid

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Some fine examples of the horrors that await you if you pass that whiteboard interview:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13416935

Example:

quote:

This. It's not like there is a sign saying "Technical Debt Required to Proceed"...but rather the slow death from a thousand cuts to productivity caused by having to analyze every potential system, process, template, stored procedure, etc, etc...to make any stable(ish) change. Even if things are loosely coupled and not dependent on each other...you still have to go in and make those changes. Telling this to a room full of non-understanding management is a whole different challenge...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think I found a posting for what might be the exact job I want next...

but it's at another bank, this one even more blatantly hand-wringingly evil than the last one :smith:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

You could always just destroy them from the inside

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Progressive JPEG posted:

You could always just tell yourself you're destroying them from the inside

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

You could always just destroy them from the inside

just spent 8 years doing that

but hey in trump's america it might be nice to be on the guaranteed winning side

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i'm looking at my resume and linkedin profile for the first time since like 2014 and i have no idea how to write a resume anymore, lmao

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i was so stressed out about a position and finding a new job in general at one point that I had a severe headache throughout the entire day of interviewing

it went away in about 30 minutes at the end of the day when I found out they were going to hire me :unsmith:

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

i probably need more skills/experience to get the positions I'm applying for. Too bad my work isn't motivating me to improve, nor do I think what I'm doing is teaching me the skills I need to have to pass those interviews. guess it's time to work on ~*side projects*~

does anyone work on side projects, how did you pick something that you care about

what if i just did a bunch of tutorials and read books instead. can i put tutorial programs on GitHub

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Maximo Roboto posted:

i probably need more skills/experience to get the positions I'm applying for. Too bad my work isn't motivating me to improve, nor do I think what I'm doing is teaching me the skills I need to have to pass those interviews. guess it's time to work on ~*side projects*~

does anyone work on side projects, how did you pick something that you care about

what if i just did a bunch of tutorials and read books instead. can i put tutorial programs on GitHub

i highly recommend contributing to a larger project as part of it. i think diving into an existing codebase and learning how it works in order to resolve issues or add functionality is a skill all its own, one i didn't even realize i didn't have until i got my first job. now i make awful.app worse for fun.

plus no one really cares if you take two weeks to get to the point of "fixed typo" because there was no real due date anyway

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tutorials and books aren't bad but they might not build your confidence in the best way, and its sometimes easy to get dunning-kruger-ed by going though exercises where lots of things are laid out for you

sometimes the easiest way to end up with a side project is to just start thinking of ideas passively, write them down, start working on what looks good, ditch it if its boring, etc

lots of peoples successful side projects come out of recognizing something interesting at work or in life that they want to pursue and the only real way to come across that moment is to explore

its yet another multi armed bandit lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lancemantis posted:

tutorials and books aren't bad but they might not build your confidence in the best way, and its sometimes easy to get dunning-kruger-ed by going though exercises where lots of things are laid out for you

sometimes the easiest way to end up with a side project is to just start thinking of ideas passively, write them down, start working on what looks good, ditch it if its boring, etc

lots of peoples successful side projects come out of recognizing something interesting at work or in life that they want to pursue and the only real way to come across that moment is to explore

its yet another multi armed bandit lol

this too, starting your own stuff makes you confront architectural decisions that you don't really deal with in tutorials

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

i dont think this would be a problem, you could even add your own special code to the tutorials for that personal touch
i've also seen repos that people make with all their solutions to problems from poo poo like hackerrank or leetcode

all my own code on github is either old code from college that i made not as bad and expanded on, or something i saw online and thought "wow whoever wrote this was a terrible programmer" and then i redid it in my own terrible way

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Maximo Roboto posted:

make side projects that solve problems in your own life. make a lame game or an app that counts how much coffee you drink or something.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

make awful.app worse like i do

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Is awful.app open source? I hadn't seen many open source iOS apps hah

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Maximo Roboto posted:

Is awful.app open source? I hadn't seen many open source iOS apps hah

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
got sort of a job interview tomorrow! although this being academia i made sure i already had the job through cronyism before arranging the interview, now we're meeting to figure out if and how we can get it funded

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i nailed it to the wall

go get those figgies, friends

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i nailed it to the wall

Offer ?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

make awful.app worse like i do

make polls work already. I'm paying you nothing and I expect results.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i nailed it to the wall

stack those figgies boyee

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
first day of $newjob was today, the search was awful but i made it out the other side with a decent-seeming job and you can too!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

jre posted:

Offer ?

not yet but if i don't get an offer i can safely chalk it up to job demons instead of the fact that i embarrassed myself in the interview

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

I think I found a posting for what might be the exact job I want next...

but it's at another bank, this one even more blatantly hand-wringingly evil than the last one :smith:

if you feel that bad about it set aside 10% of your budget for financial literacy charities or something

it's just banking. it's not like you're pitchforking infants into a woodchipper. take the job. get some smug midtown happy hours. relax.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

also enjoy the fact that they're conservative as gently caress with EVERYTHING so they never ever ever rush

at least that's been my experience with banking shops

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

not yet but if i don't get an offer i can safely chalk it up to job demons instead of the fact that i embarrassed myself in the interview

are you leaving alabama or w/e you went

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
god dammit kid you were supposed to get "sick" on Thursday so I had to go "get you out of daycare" aka go to a 3 hour interview and here you go getting actually sick with an ear infection today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rex-Goliath posted:

also enjoy the fact that they're conservative as gently caress with EVERYTHING so they never ever ever rush

at least that's been my experience with banking shops

yeah at old bank there was a bit of crunch time but I went home by 5 like 95% of the time

turnaround on applications getting published is like 2-3 years so a 3 week slip is no big deal

• Locked thread