Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
The funny thing about the BasicsCard is that there's always bits of press about them being super great for stopping lazy abos from buying grog in the local (Kimberley) paper, but there's almost no mention of actual data backing this up. It's all local leader [good abo] says they see more people buying fresh food/less people drunk in public/etc, and you'd think the card would provide plenty of data of when and how it's being used or that there'd be ongoing numbers on alcohol-related arrests, but nope. Nothing. Considering this is supposed to be the trial run they have to be gathering information, but I guess we won't hear much about that until they roll it out for pensioners to stop them spending all their money on the pokies, when it will found to everyone's surprise that it's not that effective compared to the burden it imposes on recipients.

:supaburn:PERSONAL ANECDOTE:supaburn: - The card really doesn't seem to make that much of a difference since the people who are problem drinkers either trade around to get cash and buy what they want from the burgeoning black market that sales restrictions has created, or change their addresses to somewhere the card isn't being used yet like Broome, since a lot of them have no fixed address either. It also means that things like the local Agricultural Show and school fetes have had to implement ticket systems for people with the cards to be able to take their kids and participate, further broadcasting to everyone that they're a shiftless bludger who can't be trusted with their own money.

Our national anthem really is misleading, all this stuff about people coming across the seas to the boundless plains we have to share, but people who actually do come across the sea get to share in the joy of being shoved into a camp or yelled at in the street for wearing a hijab.

Ten Becquerels fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There are probably terabytes of data that will never be released, but even they were and you could prove that the card didn't work it wouldn't matter. This, the intervention, 'mutual obligation' for welfare recipients and similar programs are about forcing people weaker than you to do something humiliating. Arguing that the basics card doesn't meet its stated aims is a waste of time, because the stated aims have nothing to do with the real aims.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 17, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Serrath posted:

Just curious but has this debt recovery centrelink thing expanded into student payments (or has there been any discussion of involving students?) I've been waiting for a debt recovery letter because I thought they'd be sending them to all people on a pension, I didn't realize it was just newstart that was affacted

They've been doing student payments from the start. Does centrelink have your current address?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They've been doing student payments from the start. Does centrelink have your current address?

Yeah and I'd assumed the nature of my work would ensure I'd get flagged; i bill Medicare for health service delivery so my pay fluctuates wildly, week to week, from $100 to $900. I report correctly each week but hearing that they take your highest reporting weeks and average that over the year, I assumed I'd get a letter

Maybe because I'm a contractor rather than an employee? I was worried about proving my income because I don't get pay slips, I bill Medicare per hour for each hour I work and thought I'd have to get bank statements to prove my income

I've also been reporting net pay rather than gross which they say not to do but I lose 40-50% to overheads per hour...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Serrath posted:

but hearing that they take your highest reporting weeks and average that over the year

I didn't know it did that, I thought it took your annual income from the ato then averaged it over 52 weeks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MALCOLM STOP MAKING ME AGREE WITH ONE NATION AAAAAAAA https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/17/turnbull-says-one-nations-medicinal-cannabis-amnesty-irresponsible

'Malcolm Turnbull has rejected One Nation’s proposed medicinal cannabis amnesty, saying the government does not have the power and an amnesty for dangerous illicit substances would be “irresponsible”.'

Queensland has passed a bill legalising the use of medicinal suppliers but there are no licensed suppliers yet in Australia, raising fears that people could be prosecuted for using the drug for pain relief.

“We don’t have the power to issue a general amnesty,” Turnbull said.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

hooman posted:

Wait.. 1.7 million plus 3+ million = 4.7 million plus.

Coalition now sending accusatory debt letters to >20% of the population of Australia... holy gently caress... holy loving gently caress.

We were always calling the drongo's down the pub dole-bludgers. But we should have been looking closer to home the whole time. It was us all along.
We were the dole-bludgers the whole drat time.

Also Twiggy Forrest is up for Australian of the year, what the loving gently caress.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I didn't know it did that, I thought it took your annual income from the ato then averaged it over 52 weeks.

Ah maybe my understanding was wrong, I had it the other way around

Thanks

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/821223592834674692

Not getting the joke?

https://twitter.com/PaulineHansonOz/status/821212021135798273

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Burn down tiwittrr

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jesus that woman doesn't have a sense of humour.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Ten Becquerels posted:

Our national anthem really is misleading, all this stuff about people coming across the seas to the boundless plains we have to share, but people who actually do come across the sea get to share in the joy of being shoved into a camp or yelled at in the street for wearing a hijab.

I quote this line at idiots, because I know they don't know the words. Even fewer people know the words to the fourth

quote:

While other nations of the globe
Behold us from afar,
We'll rise to high renown and shine
Like our glorious southern star;
From England, Scotia, Erin's Isle,
Who come our lot to share

It's boundless plains of white people only.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Did you ever wonder how Australia was affording the massive cost of the offshore detention centres?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-17/audit-alleges-offshore-detention-contracts-mismanaged/8188190

Turns out Dutton's Potato Force spent over a billion AUD without authorisation.

"$1.1 billion was approved by DIBP officers who did not have the required authorisation and for the remaining $1.1 billion there was no departmental record of who authorised the payments,"

Maybe we should just do the Centrelink thing to claw it all back from the officers and contractors :v:

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

You Am I posted:

Just to poo poo on the news about Nalliah's group losing their charity status, billboards advertising Australia Day celebrations which included women in hijabs have been pulled down due to threats from fuckwit racist groups

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/17/australia-day-billboard-featuring-women-in-hijabs-removed-after-threats

It's a weird case for the islamophobes to get angry about, as if it's not better to have two young muslim girls in front of an Australian flag rather than the ISIS one.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

It's a weird case for the islamophobes to get angry about, as if it's not better to have two young muslim girls in front of an Australian flag rather than the ISIS one.

It turns out they're actually racists and not just patriots who have a desire to see people integrate more effectively into Australian culture, who would have thought?

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It turns out they're actually racists and not just patriots who have a desire to see people integrate more effectively into Australian culture, who would have thought?

What Australian Culture?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
gently caress if I know.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

What Australian Culture?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress if I know.

A jar of Vegemite.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DancingShade posted:

A jar of Vegemite.

Getting drunk, yelling and swearing, and footy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I think it's just standing in front of flags actually.

e: Wearing flags as well.

e2: Maybe also clothes with the flag on it.

e3:Getting mad at Americans for being flag wavers as well.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 17, 2017

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress if I know.

Fair enough. It seems likely that many will continue to retain in a strong identification with their ethnic and religious traditions rather than integrate into a cultural identity that can't even be described by those who advocate for it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Fair enough. It seems likely that many will continue to retain in a strong identification with their ethnic and religious traditions rather than integrate into a cultural identity that can't even be described by those who advocate for it.

Uh what? I hope you're not thinking I was saying they need to integrate more effectively. I was saying Islamophobes clearly aren't actually interested in their generally stated aims, and are instead just massive loving racists.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lol if you think our nation was founded on anything but white supremacy

it's funny watching people get really indignant about it

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Uh what? I hope you're not thinking I was saying they need to integrate more effectively. I was saying Islamophobes clearly aren't actually interested in their generally stated aims, and are instead just massive loving racists.

Oh don't worry i completely agree that Racism Is Bad, but if progressives have the stated aim of an societal harmony through diversity and integration but are unable to outline a vision of what such an integrated culture might look* like then perhaps they are afflicted by a similar hypocrisy.

* yes, yes everyone, likes kebabs and pho but food isn't culture.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I don't mind if they retain strong links to their ethnic and religious traditions though? Like why do I need to come up with an answer of what Australian culture is when I really couldn't give a gently caress whether it was strongly adhered to or not?

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't mind if they retain strong links to their ethnic and religious traditions though? Like why do I need to come up with an answer of what Australian culture is when I really couldn't give a gently caress whether it was strongly adhered to or not?

Because some things in life are more important than your feelings.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Two people in Sydney have been sent to hospital with a flesh eating disease, hopefully this spells the end of our lovely country soon.

It could just be that the two people from Mt Druitt are just really bad at washing themselves though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

And this somehow means I should have to defend a position I don't hold. Cool.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
When you're six months into your party's second term in government can you still get away with blaming the other lot? Peter Dutton thinks you can!

https://twitter.com/political_alert/status/821246040019898369

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

adamantium|wang posted:

When you're six months into your party's second term in government can you still get away with blaming the other lot? Peter Dutton thinks you can!

https://twitter.com/political_alert/status/821246040019898369

"The dog ate all my homework for the past few years"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And this somehow means I should have to defend a position I don't hold. Cool.

What else did you expect when engaging with iwc?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Yes, like the feelings of white nationalists

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It's entirely unuseful to see this as a problem of migrants needing to change their behaviours to fit into Australian culture. We already know that integration is far easier and more successful the more welcoming the host community is. Fighting racism is the optimal solution.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's entirely unuseful to see this as a problem of migrants needing to change their behaviours to fit into Australian culture. We already know that integration is far easier and more successful the more welcoming the host community is. Fighting racism is the optimal solution.

Meaningless drivel - The notion that a group of newcomers have no obligation toward the country that has graciously accepted them is not only politically toxic but goes against fundamental human ideas of reciprocity.

And you still haven't explained what 'integration' might look like, why should anybody take your ideas seriously?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I only hold ideas which a Nazi Approved™

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Recoome posted:

I only hold ideas which a Nazi Approved™

I'm not a vegetarian myself but I don't hold anything against those who are.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Meaningless drivel - The notion that a group of newcomers have no obligation toward the country that has graciously accepted them is not only politically toxic but goes against fundamental human ideas of reciprocity.

And you still haven't explained what 'integration' might look like, why should anybody take your ideas seriously?

Multiculturalism is liberal (not the party) whitewashing and the rejection of which progressives and nazis can agree on. Polyculturalism is the cool new thing the activists are pushing where we get to keep all the exciting cultural differences in one country without killing eachother.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Right wingers complaining about people not integrating is just as ironic as when they complain that government doesn't work.

Although I do think multiculturalism is a really dumb idea because it implies that every culture is some clearly defined unique thing and that we won't all just have our ancestral cultures bleed into each other. Australia wasn't a monolithic culture to begin with as anyone can learn just moving around a single state, let alone across states. People don't want to live in a multicultural society but every nation on loving earth that didn't go all totalitarian on their culture essentially qualifies, but somehow everyone thought our differences should be labelled differently.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 17, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

It's an inevitability that people will pick up cultural cues from the people around them. If those people are hostile, it's less likely for someone to want to use those cues. Obligating people to change their culture is easily perceived as hostility, so it's counter-productive. There's no reason to prescribe that migrants need to behave a certain way, because they will, if given the chance.

As for graciously accepted, pull the other one.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

asio posted:

Multiculturalism is liberal (not the party) whitewashing and the rejection of which progressives and nazis can agree on. Polyculturalism is the cool new thing the activists are pushing where we get to keep all the exciting cultural differences in one country without killing eachother.

I presume polyculturism will carry itself with all the dignity, morality and stability of it's polyamourous namesake.

• Locked thread