Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Bicyclops posted:

Well, I did it. I found every loving point of interest that was on my map, save for one in Velen that seems unreachable as yet, the northern group in Novigrad that I think are a part of the DLC, two I couldn't get to in Skellige, and the one with the level forty-something Archgriffin who OHKOs me and takes too long to whittle down to deal with an OHKO situation (I'll be back for you, Griffin).

I make a checklist of all the quests before I go to a place and I've cleared White Orchard, Velen, Novigrad and Skellige, but for a couple I googled and are apparently plot dependent later, some that I missed due to choices I don't regret, and a few contracts and treasure hunts that are level 33 or above). Gerald probably has breath that smells like Killer Whale and hears Sirens screaming at crossbow death when it's quiet, but I've got 60,000 crowns, a full (pre-DLC) Gwent deck, some nice lookin' Griffin gear, and a whole book by Dandelion about all the poo poo I've pulled. Time for Ugly Baby and pretty much mainlining the main story from here until I get to a level that I feel like I want a Hearts of Stone detour.

I still can't clear Abandoned Inn on Skellige, though. I think it's just glitched. Also, sometimes Monster Dens show as cleared and sometimes they don't. Not sure what that's about.

Some of the higher level stuff on Skellige is really, really good. I love that Skellige's Most Wanted references so many earlier quests. I can't put this down and I probably won't until I've one the DLC. Game of the loving year. I hope in Witcher 4: the Gwentening, it's revealed that the last words Gerald heard were from a smuggler saying "Just a ploughin' moment! Are ye telling me that yer the one who took all o' those saddles of my caches? That's enough to send me into a a berserker rage!"

The PoIs you've described as unreachable in Velen and Skellige are both gated by the story. The Skellige ones in particular are like the last quest before THE FINAL BATTLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

steinrokkan posted:

All the fiends in my game were bugged and wouldn't attack me, fighting them was like kicking a dog :(

Even when they're not; hitting them twice and dodging is super effective, hit them three times and they hit back.

Tips for farming chort hide at level 1.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Every time I threw a devil's puffball at one they seemed to bug right out and become completely incapable of fighting

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I had a fiend glitch and not attack me at all, then while I was kind of toying with it, it suddenly did a frontal charge that counted as numerous attacks in quick succession such that he basically picked Geralt up in his antlers and ran off with him. OHK.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
When should I do either of the expansions, pre or post main game?
And is there no recipe for enhanced wolf gloves and pants? I can make enhanced shirt and shies, but no pants. What gives.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Calaveron posted:

When should I do either of the expansions, pre or post main game?
And is there no recipe for enhanced wolf gloves and pants? I can make enhanced shirt and shies, but no pants. What gives.

Hearts of Stone can be done whenever you feel like you're at the appropriate level, really. Blood and Wine is pretty explicitly set up as an epilogue and final chapter in Geralt's story, so while you can technically do that one whenever as well, thematically it's best to save it until after you've wrapped up the main quest.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They give you some abilities/gear which you might like for the main game though, might want to dip into blood and wine until you get mutations at least, imo.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Avalerion posted:

They give you some abilities/gear which you might like for the main game though, might want to dip into blood and wine until you get mutations at least, imo.

This is a valid point, to which I'll add that Blood and Wine does start with an unskippable boss fight, so don't go TOO early or you'll find yourself getting repeatedly smashed by a giant before you can do anything cool.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Does anyone in the main game ever comment on (Hearts of Stone spoiler)the mark on Geralt's face?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

:smug: lol, git gud scrub. Beat him at level 7, because quen is frankly cheating. :smug:

Honestly, I sort of feel like I could beat him for the exact reason you're saying. He's slow and Quen gives you a nice buffer. But instead of spending a week of rolling around him, I think I'm going to wait.

My over-leveled badass fight was a leshen somewhere in Velen. I was holding my own and then he summoned a set of wolves that were ALSO way above my level. I think I actually stood and cheered when I just barely survived.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hobo Clown posted:

Does anyone in the main game ever comment on (Hearts of Stone spoiler)the mark on Geralt's face?

There's apparently dialogue with Yen and Triss where you can ask them to remove it and they say they can't. I say "apparently" because I talked with yen while doing that DLC and she didn't say word one to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can also talk to Ciri about it, and she jokes that it makes you look distinguished.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Okay, so I just finished the Bald Mountain quest - is there a point at which I can point at which I can pause from the main quest soon? It feels like Act III is going to bury me before I can stop! They dumped so much experience in my lap that I needed to have some armor and weapons made about 4000 points ago, not to mention I had that Greenhouse Effect quest in Khaer Morhen to finish off. Plus, I'm level 30 now and I kind of want to play around with Hearts of Stone...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Okay, so I just finished the Bald Mountain quest - is there a point at which I can point at which I can pause from the main quest soon? It feels like Act III is going to bury me before I can stop! They dumped so much experience in my lap that I needed to have some armor and weapons made about 4000 points ago, not to mention I had that Greenhouse Effect quest in Khaer Morhen to finish off. Plus, I'm level 30 now and I kind of want to play around with Hearts of Stone...

do whatever, but you're pretty close to the end of the main quest, maybe another ~5 hours. HOWEVER, finishing the main quest won't lock you out of anything so go ahead and finish it if you want.

nothing is time-sensitive or will be closed off at your point in the game, so go upgrade your gear, do the quest in KM, and check out HoS if you want

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

do whatever, but you're pretty close to the end of the main quest, maybe another ~5 hours. HOWEVER, finishing the main quest won't lock you out of anything so go ahead and finish it if you want.

nothing is time-sensitive or will be closed off at your point in the game, so go upgrade your gear, do the quest in KM, and check out HoS if you want

Ciri is following me at the moment, though. If I manage to find a sign post without falling off a cliff, is it going to let me use it? I suppose I can just check tomorrow morning, I've just been gritting my teeth saying "But both the Cat and the Wolf School sets are available for upgrades, and I can do a quick treasure hunt so that the Bear School is too!" (I'm a little sad I leveled straight past the point where the Nekker Shoes were useful before I could find a stash)

The suspense as to which outfit Geralt will be wearing is killing me!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

This is a valid point, to which I'll add that Blood and Wine does start with an unskippable boss fight, so don't go TOO early or you'll find yourself getting repeatedly smashed by a giant before you can do anything cool.

If you can handle the bandits you should be able to handle the giant.

I rode through the village completely coincidentally at about level 10. I couldn't handle the bandits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bicyclops posted:

You are pretty much at the point where you can take a break, actually. Take Ciri up to Novigrad and then you can ditz around for a while.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

2house2fly posted:

There's apparently dialogue with Yen and Triss where you can ask them to remove it and they say they can't. I say "apparently" because I talked with yen while doing that DLC and she didn't say word one to me.

I can confirm that there's dialog options where you can ask them to remove it. I think I even asked Avallach. One of them comments you're in a bunch of poo poo with whomever left that mark.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bicyclops posted:

I still can't clear Abandoned Inn on Skellige, though. I think it's just glitched. Also, sometimes Monster Dens show as cleared and sometimes they don't. Not sure what that's about.

Meditate for a day on the site or far away from it. Monster dens that have an actual name will be cleared once you've looted everything within.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What happens when the cow gwent card dies?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It is immediately replaced with a 10-strength fiend card iirc

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm missing one random card in Velen and it's driving me crazy.

Also the Monster/Scoia'tel gimmick with calling in reinforcements from your deck is garbage compared to just having a handful of spies. I have a baller Nilfgard deck but there's too much overhead in terms of allied infantry cards, plus all the spies give your opponent way too many free points. The faction trait is also crap compared to literally every other one.

Northern Realms is just too good a deck. There's no reason to ever stop using it once you've got all 4 spy cards and a decent number of allied cards + the medic + Yennefer.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 17, 2017

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Fuzz posted:

http://www.gwentcards.com

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Crappy Jack posted:

If you shoot the giant in the eye with a crossbow bolt(through the hole in the barrel on it's head,) it's an instant kill and an achievement!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I just noticed I don't have any of the Skellige cards, even though I have it downloaded and in my mod list it's there.

I guess they don't crop up until Toissant?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

10 Beers posted:

If you shoot the giant in the eye with a crossbow bolt(through the hole in the barrel on it's head,) it's an instant kill and an achievement!

Oh my God, I have to do this now

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

10 Beers posted:

.........holy loving poo poo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Also the Monster/Scoia'tel gimmick with calling in reinforcements from your deck is garbage compared to just having a handful of spies. I have a baller Nilfgard deck but there's too much overhead in terms of allied infantry cards, plus all the spies give your opponent way too many free points. The faction trait is also crap compared to literally every other one.

Northern Realms is just too good a deck. There's no reason to ever stop using it once you've got all 4 spy cards and a decent number of allied cards + the medic + Yennefer.

Nilfgard actually has the best deck, in my opinion, because it's got spies that are 4, 7, and 9 (not counting the hero card who's zero that's universal), but all of them are in the first slot, so you can hit them with a blizzard to neutralize them, plus Nilfgard has the best leader ability that I don't think the others have: to draw from your opponent's discard pile, meaning you can draw one of the spies back next round (or the same round with a scorch). Plus, it's filled with medics, so you can drop the 10 power people in the second and third slots during the round you're beating your own spies, and then just pull them back in the second round (or you can pull back spies your opponent dropped on you if you couldn't decoy them back). You can basically play your entire deck, then play all your non hero cards again.

Although, from what I hear the Skellige deck has graveyard hate, so all that might go out the window in the DLC.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 17, 2017

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Well I wasn't going to play this again but now I have to.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I used the mods you all suggested, thanks! I went a bit further and set up an autoloot mod and my God, it makes the game so much more bearable. Not having to hunt down every bush and bookshelf makes the game so much more enjoyable for me.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Fuzz posted:

There's a little village in Velen that somehow no quest seems to actually take you to which is where I found my last card. Unfortunately I cannot remember its name, but it's kind of near the center of the area, to the east of a larger village...?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This entire "Paperchase"/Asterix & Obelix reference quest.

:allears:

This book they added at some point (I originally stopped playing at v1.04 so there's a lot of stuff new in general) for telling you what cards you're missing is dogturds though.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ferrinus posted:

There's a little village in Velen that somehow no quest seems to actually take you to which is where I found my last card. Unfortunately I cannot remember its name, but it's kind of near the center of the area, to the east of a larger village...?

I think you're talking about Claywich, which is just south of Crow's Perch. The merchant is unfortunately one of those Persons In Distress and I'm not quite sure I remember which one he is.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dr Cheeto posted:

I think you're talking about Claywich, which is just south of Crow's Perch. The merchant is unfortunately one of those Persons In Distress and I'm not quite sure I remember which one he is.

I think he might be from the bandit camp straight east of Claywich on the island connected by a bridge.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think he might be from the bandit camp straight east of Claywich on the island connected by a bridge.
I think that's him. I freed him in my last run through and he never showed up in the village.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Meditate for a day on the site or far away from it. Monster dens that have an actual name will be cleared once you've looted everything within.

Went back and tried this - Abandoned Inn is still glitched, which is fine, but there's a more serious glitch in my file. For some reason, it seems to think the cave full of gentle trolls in Velen is a "Monster" Den :confused:

:v:

Anyway, apparently I'm a sociopath, because Even after all Vernon Roche did for me, I let Djikstra kill him. He's just right - their deal was bad and virtually ensures a Nilfgardian victory. I still haven't gotten around to Hearts of Stone yet, because I've been too busy building all of my mastercrafted Witcher deal.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bicyclops posted:

Anyway, apparently I'm a sociopath, because Even after all Vernon Roche did for me, I let Djikstra kill him. He's just right - their deal was bad and virtually ensures a Nilfgardian victory. I still haven't gotten around to Hearts of Stone yet, because I've been too busy building all of my mastercrafted Witcher deal.

I did the same because when Dijkstra talks straight he talks straight. Also Dijkstra is against both slavery (which the Empire has) and witch-burning/racism (Radovid).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Basically, Vernon Roche seems like a real nice guy and he helped me when the Wild Hunt were wrecking poo poo, and he's also a really good soldier, but he seems to be pretty terrible at politics. Djikstra is an incorrigible rear end in a top hat, but in a way that reminds me of every local, city politician I worked with when I used to help on campaigns.

I didn't play the first two games so I don't know poo poo about Thaler.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I don't disagree with Dijkstra, but I guess I never saw an independent North as terrifically important and I just cannot leave Roche and Ves to the dogs like that. They weren't happy about me paling around with Iorveth, nor about inviting Letho to Kaer Morhen, but they stuck with me despite all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Basically I guess I just really hate the King of Nilfgard and want to do everything I possibly can to be the biggest thorn in his side.

I've been avoiding taking Geralt to the barber, but I think before I start Hearts of Stone, it's time to give him a new look.