Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

I picked up the pelta class and the rebel squadrons II last night. But I skipped right over the liberty. I don't really see it fitting in very well with the builds I'm doing lately. But I'm curious if there are any upgrades in there that are must haves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Med team is nice if not worth the price. Spinal armerments? Or the weapons team that lets you resolve two crits.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

CPA Hell posted:

I picked up the pelta class and the rebel squadrons II last night. But I skipped right over the liberty. I don't really see it fitting in very well with the builds I'm doing lately. But I'm curious if there are any upgrades in there that are must haves?

Spinal Armament can be a nice boost to a couple different ships. On the rebel side, it is primarily used by Neb B (particularly Salvation) and Liberty MC80s. General Madine is a decent commander. He really helps out the Liberty ships, but he makes any other rebel ship incredibly maneuverable.

But that's about it for upgrade cards. The rest are only situationally useful, or just cheap filler for a couple of points.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

JonathonSpectre posted:

So I just got my X-Wing starter kit yesterday and played a game last night. Man, what a well-designed, fun game! It would be a lot more fun with more than just 1 X-Wing and 2 TIEs, though. Would anyone recommend a couple of ships that are interesting or have abilities that change the game a little? I eventually intend to just buy all the ones I think look neat, but I'd like to start by getting 3-4 to play with that are cool/good.

My Armada starter set comes in today. :getin:

Standard game of X-Wing is 100 points, so yeah, you'll want some more ships if you want to play a lot.

And you'll want to play a lot cos it good.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

thespaceinvader posted:

Standard game of X-Wing is 100 points, so yeah, you'll want some more ships if you want to play a lot.

And you'll want to play a lot cos it good.

Boy oh boy is it ever fun as poo poo. Best fun so far was my friend bragging about his MS Flight Sim skills before we started and then flying both TIEs into asteroids. "Flying through asteroids ain't like a peaceful landing at La Guardia, boy!"

OK so an Armada model question. I got my stuff and of loving course I got an ISD because it's The Best Ship (TM). I'm kinda bummed though because when I put it on the stand it tilts ever, EVER so slightly to the right if you look at it head on. It's just enough to be noticeable and while I know it's a little niggling thing it annoys the gently caress out of me that when I put my favorite ship on the table it's going to look like the navigator is a little :pwn:. I broke one nacelle off a Y-Wing from the squadron pack when I tried to bend it a tiny bit and am paranoid as hell that I'm going to break something on the ISD or the stand if I try to bend it enough to make it level.

Anyone got any advice on how to fix this? I realize it is not exactly a game breaker but God drat I paid $35 for this motherfucker I'd like it to look as majestic as possible and not like it's always trying to bank right and flee the field.

BTW my FLGS has this same ISD on the shelf for $99.99. I'm all for supporting your FLGS but seriously? Triple the price of Amazon? I'll pay $10-15 more to buy local but God drat already. Their X-Wing stuff is all within reason and I'll be getting those ships from them, but it seems like all their Armada stuff is like the ISD, literally 2-3x more expensive than online, is this common?

On a positive note, the model itself is basically everything I have ever wanted in a model ISD except that it's not 20x bigger and equipped with a repulsorlift and remote control. I'm playing my first time today and the thought of moving these beautiful ships around a table and saying things like, "Y-Wings will deploy forward and start their attack run," has me feeling like I'm an 8 year-old again. I don't know what would be better, a great strategic battle or a first-time clusterfuck where we constantly crash things into each other and someone ends up forfeiting because all their poo poo slid sideways out of the battle area.

I now realize I was foolish to make a New Year's Resolution to save X amount of money. I think I'm going to revise it to say "X amount of money OR an equivalent value of tiny ships."

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There should be a Super Star Destroyer model that's like 3 feet long. I would buy it

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Phi230 posted:

There should be a Super Star Destroyer model that's like 3 feet long. I would buy it

For the scale of Armada, I think the Lego SSD was fairly close to being the right size (at 4 ft long :stare: )

e: this is painful to see. Let's do a drop test with the Lego SSD, and recreate that scene from RoTJ!

https://youtu.be/PN_AMSlNocE

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 7, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Icon Of Sin posted:

For the scale of Armada, I think the Lego SSD was fairly close to being the right size (at 4 ft long :stare: )

Fuckin yeah I want it

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Death star model the size of a beachball

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Fuckin yeah I want it

Go check my edit :getin:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Icon Of Sin posted:

e: this is painful to see. Let's do a drop test with the Lego SSD, and recreate that scene from RoTJ!

https://youtu.be/PN_AMSlNocE
Nah, it's not even close. The Lego SSD comes with a to-scale ISD and it's tiny.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Nah, it's not even close. The Lego SSD comes with a to-scale ISD and it's tiny.

Hahaha I had forgotten about that little tiny ISD. Scale it up another few feet then? Or make it larger than the corvette for X-Wing and just call it even.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Rules question for Armada. For the pair of squadrons with Relay; do they need to be within normal activation range of the ship that is activating the squadron command? Or just if *ANY* friendly ship is activating squadrons you can use Relay? Can you also use Relay for each ship that activates squadrons in a round (assuming you have enough legal squadron targets)?

I don't have any of Wave 5 on hand to see if the little rules card specifies.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I think the ssd would be bigger than a legal table?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Canopus250 posted:

Rules question for Armada. For the pair of squadrons with Relay; do they need to be within normal activation range of the ship that is activating the squadron command? Or just if *ANY* friendly ship is activating squadrons you can use Relay? Can you also use Relay for each ship that activates squadrons in a round (assuming you have enough legal squadron targets)?

I don't have any of Wave 5 on hand to see if the little rules card specifies.

I believe the Relay can happen regardless of where on the table the ship that used the command is. As well I don't think it has "limited" uses, as you could squadron command at relayed ships for as many as you have in range of the relay squadron (2 at a time ofc)

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

ShineDog posted:

I think the ssd would be bigger than a legal table?

Have the SSD be the table!

Could even have an environment effect or condition. "Gives Imperial fire support; Weak to out-of-control A-wings"

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Could even have an environment effect or condition. "Gives Imperial fire support; Weak to out-of-control A-wings"

Upgrade card: Intensify Forward Firepower

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Every time an A wing squadron is destroyed roll a die. High, SSD destroyed. Low, SSD safe

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If the Imperial player loses the battle he is choked to death afterwards.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Phi230 posted:

Every time an A wing squadron is destroyed roll a die. High, SSD destroyed. Low, SSD safe

Low, the forward batteries are intensified; high, it's too late.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

NTRabbit posted:

Low, the forward batteries are intensified; high, it's too late.

Well played. :golfclap:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ordered the both theFighter Squadron II packs online and picked up the Corellian Conflict & Arquitans light cruiser pack at a parking lot sale of a gameshop that waa on today.

Sadly no discounts for those two as the only armada stuff on sale were a dozen ISDs ($41aud, not bad considering other shops sell them for 70) a stack of Victories & home ones and a space potato or two.

I don't think I'll be playing the campaign for awhile unless I find a group at a flgs but the new objectives and squad cards seem pretty good.

A store on the other side of the city is holding a learn to play day for armada tomorrow so i might attend that to try out some new stuff and next weekend another store closeby is holding the regionals, which I might enter although it'd only be my second tourney (after placing 6 out of 6 at a friendly/casual tournament at my flgs) so I might ask for some list advice soon if I do decide to enter.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Play in tournaments! Worst case scenario you get 3 2 games of Armada in (and a bye), and that is well worth the price of admission.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

E: wrong thread

Happy to see the Rebels stuff going into rotation, what kind of 400 point lists would you guys make with the latest wave?

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 15, 2017

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For goons thinking about getting into Armada who missed the cheap US Amazon deal, Book Depository has it now 39% off with free shipping. At that price it's worth the risk I think.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Book depository is good and safe, I've used it as well as Wordery (both owned by amazon afaik) to buy armada stuff as they have free shipping to Australia and are often cheaper than local shops.

Although it seems both sites as well as Amazon got cleaned out over Christmas so hopefully they restock sometime soon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
By "risk" I meant "that you won't enjoy the game". Book Depository are 100% reliable, even if they do regularly scare the poo poo out of my by sending every item in an order in a separate package because :shrug:

They seem to actually be clearing out of Fantasy Flight stuff, or at least not actively restocking it. There's very little left and nothing has been added since I first used them at least a year back. Still, a core box and a Nebulon B for under 75 euro shipped is spectacular value.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Arquinsiel posted:

By "risk" I meant "that you won't enjoy the game". Book Depository are 100% reliable, even if they do regularly scare the poo poo out of my by sending every item in an order in a separate package because :shrug:

They seem to actually be clearing out of Fantasy Flight stuff, or at least not actively restocking it. There's very little left and nothing has been added since I first used them at least a year back. Still, a core box and a Nebulon B for under 75 euro shipped is spectacular value.

Might be that FFG/Asmodee have cleared out on them, iirc they set new policies during the takeover that prohibit super deep discounts.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Could be that, but the discount seems random so I'd almost guess that Book Depository just took a bunch of unsold stock from other retailers or something. I didn't really look at their site for a while because I was really trying to track down Han Solo for Imperial Assault and just couldn't find it anywhere near MSRP but assumed they were just not getting restocked because nobody was. A chance email had me check their site last night and see that they're actually pretty cleaned out.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Didn't see this posted, it's my boy Chopper. Hera looks cool too.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Arquinsiel posted:

Could be that, but the discount seems random so I'd almost guess that Book Depository just took a bunch of unsold stock from other retailers or something. I didn't really look at their site for a while because I was really trying to track down Han Solo for Imperial Assault and just couldn't find it anywhere near MSRP but assumed they were just not getting restocked because nobody was. A chance email had me check their site last night and see that they're actually pretty cleaned out.

FYI the second printing of Han just came out, at least in the US, so you should be able to find one now.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Vitamin P posted:

Seems odd that it is a single Jawa. Would have thought you would get three on one base or something. That said, I like him.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ultiville posted:

FYI the second printing of Han just came out, at least in the US, so you should be able to find one now.
Well given that I was liveposting my search... nope.

ETA: I am wrong, it literally popped up on Amazon in the last 12 hours. Shipping from Book Depository US to my house is cheaper than from their UK branch to a parcel service, because for some reason they don't have it on their site yet but are selling it on Amazon :psyduck:

Vitamin P posted:

Also BT-1 and 0-0-0. It's the murderdroid expansion!

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 17, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Chop's arms looks over-sized, but they probably couldn't do smaller given the scale they're working with. Gonna be really tempted to get that, but why do they have his periscope (scanner?) up?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Chop's arms looks over-sized, but they probably couldn't do smaller given the scale they're working with. Gonna be really tempted to get that, but why do they have his periscope (scanner?) up?
Yeah, and 0-0-0 just looks like C-3P0 giving a presentation because his hypodermic fingers are too small for that scale. I guess it's because if you really hate the periscope you can just cut it off, but adding it is harder?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Doesn't 0-0-0 also have little circular saws that come out of his wrists? I guess those'd be too small as well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Vitamin P posted:

:eyepop: Want that chopper and need a whole gang of those Jawas.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well that also means that Dr. Aphra is likely also going to be coming down the line, too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Doesn't 0-0-0 also have little circular saws that come out of his wrists? I guess those'd be too small as well.

The comic has been less than consistent on how much can fit into those two droids. It's the weakest part of an otherwise great run.

That ain't even the worst of it.
VVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Arquinsiel posted:

The comic has been less than consistent on how much can fit into those two droids. It's the weakest part of an otherwise great run.

Wow you aren't kidding

Don't see how that could be modelled honestly, I think they've given it as much weaponry as could fit on the little thing without looking ridiculous.