Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aesop Poprock posted:

That sounds pretty adorable actually. I don't talk to most of my appliances so I dunno how to start a conversation with them

I mean unless they're not working and I yell and kick them

Yeah that's the thing with making smart "stuff". The way I see it, there's no reason to make something "smart" unless it is fiddly, and/or dangerous if mismanaged, and/or has large potential to waste energy if poorly managed. A kettle is ideal "smart" candidate because it's all three of those things.

A garbage can on the other hand? What the gently caress is a smart garbage can? All I can imagine is that it like, sorts your garbage for you somehow, but in doing so it probably expends more energy than any amount of recycling or composting could have saved in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Yeah that's the thing with making smart "stuff". The way I see it, there's no reason to make something "smart" unless it is fiddly, and/or dangerous if mismanaged, and/or has large potential to waste energy if poorly managed. A kettle is ideal "smart" candidate because it's all three of those things.

A garbage can on the other hand? What the gently caress is a smart garbage can? All I can imagine is that it like, sorts your garbage for you somehow, but in doing so it probably expends more energy than any amount of recycling or composting could have saved in the first place.

I guess it could like release a coverup smell or tell you what the load bearing capacity of the bag was at

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CommonShore posted:

I could see a WiFi kettle being nice, but I wouldn't pay more than $5 on top of regular kettle price for it - I could send it an email and be all like "hey kettle heat 500 ml of water at 83 C" and it'd be like "kay" and then a few minutes later it'd be like "ready."

I'd use that. And I'd pay $30 for it.

You'd still need to put water in it though, so why not just turn it on then? Or get it its own water hook up but that seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
But when your WiFi kettle goes down, it goes down hard:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/12/english-man-spends-11-hours-trying-to-make-cup-of-tea-with-wi-fi-kettle

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

CommonShore posted:

What kind of a kettle do you have that's apparently so much more complicated than "put water in, push the knob"?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Capilarean posted:

What kind of a kettle do you have that's apparently so much more complicated than "put water in, push the knob"?

Things get fiddly when using a regular manual kettle to regulate temperatures for different kinds of tea. I didn't say complicated - I said fiddly.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CommonShore posted:

Things get fiddly when using a regular manual kettle to regulate temperatures for different kinds of tea. I didn't say complicated - I said fiddly.

https://www.breville.com.au/the-tea-kettle.html

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

CommonShore posted:

Okay, now please explain how boiling a wifi antenna helps with any of this.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

"kettle, please make some crotch-searing water"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommonShore posted:

Give the kettle automatic shutoff and a whistle.

Problems solved with no need for wifi.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PathAsc posted:

"kettle, please make some crotch-searing water"

*LCARS error sound*
Please specify the nature of the crotch.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Platystemon posted:

Give the kettle automatic shutoff and a whistle.

Problems solved with no need for wifi.

:shrug: I know how kettles work. It doesn't change that I think it would be nice to be able to open a UI on my desktop while working to get exactly as much hot water of a specified temperature as I need ready for me in my kitchen, with minimal waste, or to have a timer set so that it's ready for me when I get up in the morning.

I guess I should just get Enrique to do it for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Enrique has a very good voice interface too.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Wait, are you supposed to make tea at any other temperature than "boiling?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Foxhound posted:

Wait, are you supposed to make tea at any other temperature than "boiling?"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437984

tl;dr black tea at boiling, green teas at like 80-85 C, white teas and matcha lower. Too hot can ruin the flavour and just make it sour and lovely.

The water temperature makes more of a difference the more expensive your teas get. Watch out - this poo poo is a rabbit hole. Within 12 months you could be ordering high mountain-grown oolongs and telling yourself that at a buck a cup it's cheaper than wine.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Just piss in a cup in the morning and call it ethical locally sourced artisinal tea.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PathAsc posted:

Just piss in a cup in the morning and call it ethical locally sourced artisinal tea.

I think you'll find that's called "kombucha", and it's $11.99/L.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

So we can Kickstart a WiFi bottle of kombuchapiss that also spins and clicks? Neat.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the future for IoT is going to be a suite that lets you control your different IoTs in one app. So you can check out your tea kettle, start the pressure cooker, turn off the ice maker, etc. That'd be more of a startup thing though where the end goal was to get bought out by an IoT company.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe :thejoke: but that's SmartThings, which was bought by Samsung.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

I think the future for IoT is going to be a suite that lets you control your different IoTs in one app. So you can check out your tea kettle, start the pressure cooker, turn off the ice maker, etc. That'd be more of a startup thing though where the end goal was to get bought out by an IoT company.

I thought it was bad people didn't leave the house, now they're not going to get up from their chair.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe :thejoke: but that's SmartThings, which was bought by Samsung.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0RmaFoXrH8

Cyberpunk future looking bright grim.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"Alexa, fire for effect."

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I think you'll find that's called "kombucha", and it's $11.99/L.

I prefer not to drink tea that's alive

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
As dumb as some of these wifi appliance ideas are they're still more plausible than the notion we're going to see driverless cars as more than a novelty.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PathAsc posted:

Micturate, Benjamin, micturate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK3LduV4-tg

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

CommonShore posted:

:shrug: I know how kettles work. It doesn't change that I think it would be nice to be able to open a UI on my desktop while working to get exactly as much hot water of a specified temperature as I need ready for me in my kitchen, with minimal waste, or to have a timer set so that it's ready for me when I get up in the morning.

I guess I should just get Enrique to do it for me.

And how exactly is your wifi-enabled-cloud-hosted-neural-network-IoT-smart-device going to fill itself with water first, genius?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I refill the kettle after I pour out of it, while waiting for tea to steep. It's always loaded and ready.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

DoctorTristan posted:

And how exactly is your wifi-enabled-cloud-hosted-neural-network-IoT-smart-device going to fill itself with water first, genius?

Smart faucet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

I refill the kettle after I pour out of it, while waiting for tea to steep. It's always loaded and ready.

Gross.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

DoctorTristan posted:

Water pods, get with the program.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mmmm, stagnant water.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dienes posted:

Mmmm, stagnant water.

I have tea easily 3x/day, so I'm not too worried about it. I'll dump it after I come back from a trip.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

DoctorTristan posted:

Well obviously you have your smart fridge fire shards of ice into it from across the room.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Morglon posted:

Well obviously you have your smart fridge fire shards of ice into it from across the room.

Now THAT is a concept I'd back, especially if it also has a remote camera and manual fire trigger.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You can't spell idiot without IoT.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Evil Fluffy posted:

As dumb as some of these wifi appliance ideas are they're still more plausible than the notion we're going to see driverless cars as more than a novelty.

Really? There are so many companies pursuing this concept though! I for one see the death of the human controlled car - and maybe the concept of a private vehicle disappearing completely. I invision a world with fleets of driverless cars that can be called up like a taxi.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

treiz01 posted:

Really? There are so many companies pursuing this concept though! I for one see the death of the human controlled car - and maybe the concept of a private vehicle disappearing completely. I invision a world with fleets of driverless cars that can be called up like a taxi.

As someone who hates to drive and is also night-blind, I would LOVE a self-driving car.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CommonShore posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437984

tl;dr black tea at boiling, green teas at like 80-85 C, white teas and matcha lower. Too hot can ruin the flavour and just make it sour and lovely.

The water temperature makes more of a difference the more expensive your teas get. Watch out - this poo poo is a rabbit hole. Within 12 months you could be ordering high mountain-grown oolongs and telling yourself that at a buck a cup it's cheaper than wine.

I find black teas are sweeter when brewed at lower temperatures, but I drink them straight without milk or sugar or anything added because I think that if you have to mask the taste you didn't brew it properly. Green tea is definitely pretty terrible if the water is too hot because it just goes brown and bitter and gross.

edit: that said if you want to make tea perfectly it shouldn't have to involve computer networks at any point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

RandomPauI posted:

This already kind of exists with things like Yonomi, which in turn works with the Amazon Echo. I tried it and it wasn't particularly reliable. The Echo is also super easy to code for, so you can make your own all-in-one application for anything that you can access the API for.

I gotta admit, I quite enjoy having the Echo and a smart thermostat so when it's cold and I'm in bed I can just tell it to put the heating on without having to get out of bed.