Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

goddamn youre amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Powaqoatse posted:

goddamn youre amazing

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

spankmeister posted:

Did you try de4dot? (and then ilspy)

i should add there's a de4dot integrated/engine replacement of ilspy called dnspy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

crazysim posted:

i should add there's a de4dot integrated/engine replacement of ilspy called dnspy

cool, good 2 know.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

well. I like how

quote:

Automated devices will notify power companies when an outage occurs which will ensure faster response time to power outages

apparently the power company doesn't know about outages until someone proactively notifies them??

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

qntm posted:

well. I like how

apparently the power company doesn't know about outages until someone proactively notifies them??

Also somehow notifying them without utilising power...

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

paging angry moo cow

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Chalks posted:

notifications can be negative, i.e. thing stops responding to pings

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

BobHoward posted:

unplug your washer and the power company thinks you had an outage

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Looking forward to the power company jumping into action every time my router goes down.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chalks posted:

Looking forward to the power company jumping into action every time my router goes down.

i look forward to living in a country where power outages are rare because infrastructure is maintained

but i'm already there

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Hed posted:

there's a reason the 1-800-DIG-RITE or whatever is in your area is free / subsidized by the utilities :)

Yeah.. the problem with opt-in "let's not be stupid," services is that the stupidest people, the ones most likely to do damage, aren't gonna be the ones that call. The kind of person that double checks where they're digging probably isn't the person that ends up slicing the fibre.

We have this same kind of thing where I work. We have a poster printer you can make reservations for. The people who properly make reservations never need help. Like they could probably sneak in and use it without us knowing most of the time. The kind of people who eat up our time who cause us trouble are the people who walk in out of the blue saying, "Oh, I didn't know I should make a reservation."

The reservation system is there, ostensibly, so we can do planning, but it doesn't really tell us anything about the cases that actually do end up taking time. I feel like the "call before you dig lines", are probably the same way.

I'm sure there's some industry jargon for this concept, but it happens everywhere all the time.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

i look forward to living in a country where power outages are rare because infrastructure is maintained

but i'm already there

I live in such a country, but we had a power outage in Amsterdam today, and it royally hosed up our train network because it's so interconnected.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

hackbunny posted:

so I did it by hand
hrm, i think you need to spend a few days gently meditating on the purity of procrastination

(muchos respectos, hackbunny, you're doing great stuff)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chalks posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00000J47L/

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

My battery powered washing machine is going to have trouble accessing the internet during a power cut since my router is not also battery powered.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 17, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Powaqoatse posted:

goddamn youre amazing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Powaqoatse posted:

goddamn youre amazing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chalks posted:

My battery powered washing machine is going to have trouble accessing the internet during a power cut since my router is not also battery powered.

My security system uses a cell modem backup, and there are several/many IoT companies doing exactly that with monitoring devices for things like weather stations. Think this through.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

hackbunny posted:

I soon recognized it as "on error resume next"

I've seen this so many times when decompiling obfuscated DLLs and I've always assumed it was part of the obfuscation. This is really interesting to know.

Subjunctive posted:

My security system uses a cell modem backup, and there are several/many IoT companies doing exactly that with monitoring devices for things like weather stations. Think this through.

We're still talking about washing machines in people's homes, right? I mean it seems a little far fetched for Samsung to run a free cellular network dedicated to enabling their washing machines to selflessly contact power companies in the rare event that they lose power.

Much as I would enjoy reading the instructions on the washing machine manual that read "Please remember to regularly replace the batteries in the back of your washing machine's modem" I'm not sure they've engineered it to quite that extent and are instead talking horseshit while fishing for reasons why IoT isn't a waste of everyone's time and money.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 17, 2017

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
waSSHing machine

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

Think this through.

and not have IoT devices in your home

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

waSSHing machine

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cyka BlIoT

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

waSSHing machine

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BattleMaster posted:

and not have IoT devices in your home

too late, I have a smart meter

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qntm posted:

well. I like how

they'll see the drop off but a lot of the times they don't know where exactly the cut is so they rely pretty heavily on user reporting to narrow things down

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

but i'm already there

good maintenance doesn't stop some idiot in a pickup from running off the road in a snow storm into your gear.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chalks posted:

it doesnt use your router, the proposed connection method is a variant of the tech used for wireless mesh networking on smart electric/water meters

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

waSSHing machine

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

OSI bean dip posted:

Samsung ... update

i dont think you have to worry about that

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I totally trust that the general populace that have stoves that flash 12:00 is able to configure their washer with the right address just so it can report when the power goes out

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

i set the time correct once, now it's in daylights savings and i dont know how to fix it

i'm saying that appliance clocks are literally the hardest things to configure, its an unfair comparison

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
you've been able to watch youtube videos on your Samsung Refrigerator for years now

now...

you can experience...

the ultimate...

low-latency...

gaming destruction...

of your hardwired Samsung SteamOS/Steam Link capable Washing Machine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ymgve posted:

I totally trust that the general populace that have stoves that flash 12:00 is able to configure their washer with the right address just so it can report when the power goes out

you wouldn't be configuring it, the utility would be installing the device.

just like you don't configure your own smart electricity meter or water meter or whatever. utility's property.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fishmech posted:

you wouldn't be configuring it, the utility would be installing the device.

just like you don't configure your own smart electricity meter or water meter or whatever. utility's property.

People have utilities provide and install their washing machines?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ymgve posted:

which is why some of them just connect to any open network automatically :)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chalks posted:

People have utilities provide and install their washing machines?

it's not the washing machine ya moron, it's specifically an additional device that gets connected to the washing machine, and needs to be configured for a specific utility company network

also, the devices aren't available yet, and might not be available for a long time

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fishmech posted:

it's not the washing machine ya moron, it's specifically an additional device that gets connected to the washing machine, and needs to be configured for a specific utility company network

also, the devices aren't available yet, and might not be available for a long time

Wait, if my electricity company is installing something in my house designed to monitor whether or not the electricity is working, why are they plugging it into my washing machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chalks posted:

Wait, if my electricity company is installing something in my house designed to monitor whether or not the electricity is working, why are they plugging it into my washing machine?

the idea of it is that it would be plugged into all major appliances. there would also be provision for signing up to have controls like some utilities have to reduce a/c use or similar things at times of peak demand, which are already in place.

it's all meant to be part of this: https://www.smartgrid.gov/

the purpose of this appliance not building the actual interface in, is so that they don't have to worry about not meeting the standards whenever those standards finally get agreed on by the utilities and other manufacturers - and that might easily take a decade or more to happen.

• Locked thread