Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Sure, it's Macbeth but that kind of sums up Unicorn in it's execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, they basically do. The ending is literally "this symbol means what we want it to mean, and we can choose to evoke it for our own goals" while the fake Char literally turns into dust once he loses value as a symbol. It's still not particularly well executed but y'know, Unicorn.

I don't know if I'd agree with that reading of Frontal's death. Frontal's value as a symbol was that he was embodying the ideals that other people believed Char was representative of, and nothing in the show until possibly Mineva's speech did anything to harm his value as that symbol to the kinds of people who would support the Sleeves in the first place. All of the Sleeves except the Granceries crew happily follow him to their deaths and I seriously doubt the downtrodden poor in Palau who are shown literally worshipping at an altar of Zeon would have believed he was anything less than a symbolic martyr after the fact.

Frontal's extreme nihilism which led to him going all crumbly when Banagher yelled EVEN SO hard enough, while extremely Char-esque, had nothing to do with what he was representing to the public.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My girlfriend has agreed to watching three episodes worth of Gundam with me on our anniversary (which is in a month).

I'm thinking of showing her the first episodes of War in the Pocket, Turn A, and Build Fighters, OR the first MSG compilation movie. She's seen a few episodes of SEED Remastered with me and it was just ok for her.

I want to show her G or IBO but unfortunately neither are to her taste, as I've come to know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I don't know if I'd agree with that reading of Frontal's death. Frontal's value as a symbol was that he was embodying the ideals that other people believed Char was representative of, and nothing in the show until possibly Mineva's speech did anything to harm his value as that symbol to the kinds of people who would support the Sleeves in the first place. All of the Sleeves except the Granceries crew happily follow him to their deaths and I seriously doubt the downtrodden poor in Palau who are shown literally worshipping at an altar of Zeon would have believed he was anything less than a symbolic martyr after the fact.

Frontal's extreme nihilism which led to him going all crumbly when Banagher yelled EVEN SO hard enough, while extremely Char-esque, had nothing to do with what he was representing to the public.

It absolutely does. Frontal even says it himself. He is the embodiment of those self-destructive desires and lack of hope in the future that leads to stuff like the Loni/Zeon Relics situation.

The "Even So" thing it's worth remembering isn't out of nowhere. It is what Marida Cruz explicitly tells Banagher to do when faced with that. (She literally tells him to keep saying "Even So" regardless.) He isn't failing to argue, he's failing to submit and to agree with Full Frontal that what he represents. He's the Zeonic nihilism taken to its most extreme but he's defeated when the final episode revolves around that Zeon Nihilism losing. The Zabi Princess rejects the idea of the Federation as a heartless enemy, the most die-hard Zeon supporter who lost his daughter a second time chooses to reject the cycle of violence, and the guy who believes Newtypes are monsters embraces their possibility. And he takes Banagher to the very end of time and goes "See, there's only darkness" and Banagher rejects it using Marida's words.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just watch War in the Pocket until she decides she's not interested, instead of a random smattering of first episodes.

I definitely wouldn't make anyone start with First Gundam, movies or not, unless they were super into 70s animation quality.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 13, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Will you have a romantic dinner of ham burgers after watching War In the Pocket?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I got my GF into gundam with Build Fighters.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

Just watch War in the Pocket until she decides she's not interested, instead of a random smattering of first episodes.

I definitely wouldn't make anyone start with First Gundam, movies or not, unless they were super into 70s animation quality.

Also the pacing is really hosed in the MSG movies

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It absolutely does. Frontal even says it himself. He is the embodiment of those self-destructive desires and lack of hope in the future that leads to stuff like the Loni/Zeon Relics situation.

The "Even So" thing it's worth remembering isn't out of nowhere. It is what Marida Cruz explicitly tells Banagher to do when faced with that. (She literally tells him to keep saying "Even So" regardless.) He isn't failing to argue, he's failing to submit and to agree with Full Frontal that what he represents. He's the Zeonic nihilism taken to its most extreme but he's defeated when the final episode revolves around that Zeon Nihilism losing. The Zabi Princess rejects the idea of the Federation as a heartless enemy, the most die-hard Zeon supporter who lost his daughter a second time chooses to reject the cycle of violence, and the guy who believes Newtypes are monsters embraces their possibility. And he takes Banagher to the very end of time and goes "See, there's only darkness" and Banagher rejects it using Marida's words.

"Go a little further. See? That Gundam is helping people move cows. And look! The Zaku II is still trying its hardest. Warms the heart, don't it?"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

See, the thing is, Frontal might believe that the ideals he's an embodiment of are inherently self-destructive and hopeless but I think stuff like the Palau scene and the entire Side Co-Prosperity sphere concept he was peddling to his supporters don't necessarily jibe with that. There were definitely segments of the Zeon remnants that were fighting for nothing but hatred and vengeance like Loni. To the people of Palau, Frontal represented hope; hope that the son of who they believe to be their greatest hero and champion had returned from the dead and that he was going to improve their awful lives. The fact that the Co-Prosperity sphere itself was a lovely, awful idea that would simply exchange the oppression of one group of people for another doesn't change the fact that to the downtrodden colonists it represents hope for a better future, of which Frontal is its chief champion and supporter. The entire purpose of the Laplace affair was to give Frontal a weapon with which to bring this future hope into being!

I know exactly where the Even So comes from and what motivates it and I understand the hamfisted philosophical battle at the end of Unicorn, I just think it's utterly ridiculous that the show took something relatively metaphorically successful(Banagher rejecting hopelessness even when faced with what Frontal shows him) and totally loving ruins it by having Frontal be so blown away by Banagher's refusal that he pulls a Roy Batty from Blade Runner literally out of nowhere.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Episode 4 is still the best of Unicorn by a long shot. Zinnerman really shines in that episode.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Episode 4 is still the best of Unicorn by a long shot. Zinnerman really shines in that episode.

I have the complete opposite reaction. Episode 4 also has Loni, who is by far the worst character in the series and it also had Banagher being an insufferable idiot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monaghan posted:

I have the complete opposite reaction. Episode 4 also has Loni, who is by far the worst character in the series and it also had Banagher being an insufferable idiot.

I find Loni being the embodiment of Zeon's resentment and the last stand of the Zeon remnants to be far more interesting than Full Frontal's successor state tomfoolery.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I find Loni being the embodiment of Zeon's resentment and the last stand of the Zeon remnants to be far more interesting than Full Frontal's successor state tomfoolery.

If you want to do that that's fine, but the show can't loving go "She's a good person." when the only time we see her is murdering civilians on a massive scale or alternatively, her getting annoyed that she may not be allowed to murder people on a massive scale. Loni being pissed of Zeon lady is fine, but the show tried to have it's cake and eat it too. At least with Zimmerman, we got the idea that he was conflicted but was still wrapped up in old hatred.

Loni makes the entire last fight seem so dumb and just makes me want to bash Banagher's head in.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
For me the only reason Banagher wouldn't top the worst character in the series list is if he was disqualified for being a blob of pure protagonism rather than a character.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Lemon-Lime posted:

She can handle the old stuff. I just want to show her the variety in Gundam and let her pick something to watch.

Definitely having hamburgers after 0080, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Schneider Heim posted:

My girlfriend has agreed to watching three episodes worth of Gundam with me on our anniversary (which is in a month).

I'm thinking of showing her the first episodes of War in the Pocket, Turn A, and Build Fighters, OR the first MSG compilation movie. She's seen a few episodes of SEED Remastered with me and it was just ok for her.

I want to show her G or IBO but unfortunately neither are to her taste, as I've come to know.

Do three episodes of Build Fighters. It caps off with the Zaku Amazing fight iirc.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do three episodes of Build Fighters. It caps off with the Zaku Amazing fight iirc.

No that's episode 6.

Episodes 1-3 of GBF are fun but nothing that would blow anyone away or make them sit up and pay attention.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Not a lot of Gundams have really impressive first episodes IMHO

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Not a lot of Gundams have really impressive first episodes IMHO

Highly disagree, especially with the series he chose.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first episode of Greco is pretty memorable. It's the only TV show I've ever seen open with a spirited defense of spherical earth theory.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gundam Wing starts off with a bang.

G Gundam also shows a good basis of how the first half goes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

No that's episode 6.

Episodes 1-3 of GBF are fun but nothing that would blow anyone away or make them sit up and pay attention.

Is it? poo poo, thought it was sooner.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tae posted:

Gundam Wing starts off with a bang.

G Gundam also shows a good basis of how the first half goes.

That narration... :allears:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

No that's episode 6.

i like the zaku fight in episode 2 a lot. it's probably my favorite 20 seconds of fight animation in any anime

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My favorite thing about Unicorn is that the last thing the "Ghost of Char" does is his corpse manages to ruin the life of one more kid who looks up to him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh that whacky Char!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eh that kid was a douche though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

My favorite thing about Unicorn is that the last thing the "Ghost of Char" does is his corpse manages to ruin the life of one more kid who looks up to him.

I don't see how it ruined his life. I thought the script or something said that Angelo actually felt relieved that he was dead?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Eh that kid was a douche though.

This is also true.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Twilight Axis gets an anime. I wanna know what's going on with these guys

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Monaghan posted:

I don't see how it ruined his life. I thought the script or something said that Angelo actually felt relieved that he was dead?

I was making a joke :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

Don't worry, I appreciated your joke. :)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

I'm dumb :(.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I wish Gundam Developers would get animated, I'd love to see the light-hearted slice of life adventures of Zeonic's quest to perfect the movement mechanisms of gigantic murderous war machines and that cute chubby technician chick.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSlgWxm-yCg

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My 4k bd of thunderbolt arrived from Japan today and God this ova is great and looks amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cheesetriangles posted:

My 4k bd of thunderbolt arrived from Japan today and God this ova is great and looks amazing.

How much did that set you back? $80?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah around 80 with shipping. I was surprised it had a full English dub on the disc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish it was cheaper. I've wanted SF Debris to review another Gundam series ever since he got me interested with his look at War In The Pocket. I figure the only way that will happen is if someone wants him to review more Gundam, so I'd have to send him a disk myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/Vertical_Comics/status/823884548735963136

What could it be? :allears: