Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cuntellectual posted:

I dated a mainland Chinese guy who declared he was going to kill my previous ex, who was Taiwanese, to prove his devotion. Does that count? :v:

I've actually dated a few Chinese guys. Never been to China, though.

It's actually kinda the opposite of what you'd think in that a lot of mainland Chinese guys seem to be completely ok being treated like dirt because they're under the assumption that spending X dollars means being entitled to Y affection. FIRST DATE. GIVE GIFT. SECOND DATE. GIFT AGAIN. GET KISSY. Like, every time, for maybe 5 or 6 guys. I mean, guys from everywhere are kind of like that to an extent but the sheer degree of it was eerie.

When I was in high school I never had to bother getting a job because a lot of the sons of wealthy immigrants wanted a white girlfriend as fast as possible after moving to North America and hey, I'm a young entrepreneur. :v:

lol nice moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/AP/status/821310212888002560

:smugdon:

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 17, 2017

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I know exactly too little about worldwide politics to be scared of Trumps china confrontation course, and instead just really enjoy chinas autistic screeching about Taiwan being completely mocked and ignored by Trump and cronies.

KillingPablo
Apr 5, 2003

WHOO! I am DEFINITELY not afraid of the fucking POLICE right now!
I know this is probably not the best place to ask a question like this, but I'll give it a shot. Recently I've been participating in more business dinners with the university President and Vice President, and apart from the copious baijiu drinking they absolutely love KTV. Of course being the white monkey they bring along I'm regulated the job of singing the English songs, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Chinese song or two that would be popular but wouldn't be not super difficult to learn. My Mandarin is so-so, but we've a trip to Bangkok coming up this weekend and I thought I'd put some of the spring festival break to use getting ready for the trip. Any suggestions?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
再見
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsjCRD38h3w

朋友
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yybJCVtCunI

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

KillingPablo posted:

I know this is probably not the best place to ask a question like this, but I'll give it a shot. Recently I've been participating in more business dinners with the university President and Vice President, and apart from the copious baijiu drinking they absolutely love KTV. Of course being the white monkey they bring along I'm regulated the job of singing the English songs, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Chinese song or two that would be popular but wouldn't be not super difficult to learn. My Mandarin is so-so, but we've a trip to Bangkok coming up this weekend and I thought I'd put some of the spring festival break to use getting ready for the trip. Any suggestions?

not sure how good your mandarin is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4rWejv8ikk

this one's not too hard if you can keep up with the faster parts and a crowd pleaser though

depending on how sleazy the crowd is

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzYWhn25P7s

better video

Invisible Handjob fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 17, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm gonna come out with a wild prediction here: If your economy is focused on export above all else then you will fare super badly in a trade war.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

KillingPablo posted:

Tong Hua always a solid choice, everyone normally joins in with the "shing foo her, hgwai la sher cher chuh!" bit (ngoh m dak pinyin aa)

It's a soppy ballad though, maybe not hanging out with your boss bros

https://youtu.be/XO-wq9nP__8

KillingPablo
Apr 5, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions!

This is a good one too, very easy and I know most of it already, but god I want to blow my brains out every time it comes on

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Watch out Haier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti_WVtcWJLE

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nobody wins if you stop buying your cheap sub-par poo poo, except you :downs:

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

that's unusual it's usually the wife along with some of her friends beating the poo poo out of the mistress in the streets

I would link a video but they're all nsfw, I can't find any where they don't also strip the xiao-san naked

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Invisible Handjob posted:

I would link a video but they're all nsfw, I can't find any where they don't also strip the xiao-san naked

cocktease

nsfw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvuwhe38Q6U nsfw

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

KillingPablo posted:

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78FgFp1Gi9I

KillingPablo
Apr 5, 2003

Oh, had one "5000 years history lol" moment today. Was discussing how to name an upcoming event with a coworker and he suggested "Globalization and Youth Responsibilities Symposium". I pointed out 'youth responsibilities' was strange and asked its meaning so I could figure out how to change it. His response:

quote:

I think this may be a difference between China and other western countries. In China, we always say young people should bear the responsibility to contribute to the development of the country, should devote themselves to making the country become stronger. So, Chinese young men have many responsibilities.

Lesson of the day: patriotism is a uniquely Chinese concept that is completely absent in the West.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
LOL. "No, you don't get it, foreigner. In China we have memorized responses to social things so that we don't actually have to think or understand anything, or do anything about anything. If my face says it, then it's reality."
I like the part about making the country stronger, which translates into "knock up my wife and go to work to pay for imported baby formula.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Haier posted:

LOL. "No, you don't get it, foreigner. In China we have memorized responses to social things so that we don't actually have to think or understand anything, or do anything about anything. If my face says it, then it's reality."
I like the part about making the country stronger, which translates into "knock up my wife and go to work to pay for imported baby formula.

China is so close to Correct Thought from Book of the New Sun it's amazing.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Atlas Hugged posted:

China is so close to Correct Thought from Book of the New Sun it's amazing.
I just looked these books up and they sound p cool. I wish I had more time for reading. I brought an ebook reader with me and have barely touched it since I've been here. Boooo
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/sci-fis-difficult-genius

China-ness:

Smog particles in an air filter. Just imagine all that going uninhibited to your lungs. LMAO. No wonder everything we own smells like smokestacks when we leave this place.

http://news.sohu.com/20170104/n477699932.shtml

Imgur gallery:
http://imgur.com/r/ImagesOfChina/MLLjN

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

KillingPablo posted:

Oh, had one "5000 years history lol" moment today. Was discussing how to name an upcoming event with a coworker and he suggested "Globalization and Youth Responsibilities Symposium". I pointed out 'youth responsibilities' was strange and asked its meaning so I could figure out how to change it. His response:

Lesson of the day: patriotism is a uniquely Chinese concept that is completely absent in the West.

I think he means stealing as much money as possible and then running off to Canada.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Boiled Water posted:

I'm gonna come out with a wild prediction here: If your economy is focused on export above all else then you will fare super badly in a trade war.

And they daisy-chained the bubbles in real estate, shadow banking and domestic equities, along with putting 1/3 of the state pension fund into equities

Or have they fix some of that already?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Accretionist posted:

And they daisy-chained the bubbles in real estate, shadow banking and domestic equities, along with putting 1/3 of the state pension fund into equities

Or have they fix some of that already?

Fixed what outlander?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

very close to my fetish

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I am worried about this family's overall health.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Haier posted:

I just looked these books up and they sound p cool. I wish I had more time for reading. I brought an ebook reader with me and have barely touched it since I've been here. Boooo
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/sci-fis-difficult-genius

Well we all make choices on what to do with our time....

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/17/chinese-discard-hundreds-of-cycles-for-hire-in-giant-pile

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Bike sharing with Chinese characteristics:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/17/chinese-discard-hundreds-of-cycles-for-hire-in-giant-pile posted:

It has been billed as a hi-tech bike-sharing boom that entrepreneurs hope will make them rich while simultaneously transforming China’s traffic-clogged cities.

But, occasionally, dreams can turn sour.

In the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, more than 500 bicycles for hire have been found dumped in huge piles on the streets, according to reports.

Pictures showed jumbled stacks of vehicles nearly three metres high, with handlebars, baskets and other parts scattered on the ground.

City streets around the country have seen an explosion of the colourful bikes that users can rent on demand with a smartphone app and then park wherever they choose.

The sharing economy is taking off in China, where ride-sharing and Airbnb are increasingly commonplace.

From Shanghai to Sichuan province, bike-sharing schemes are being rolled out in an effort to slash congestion and air pollution by putting a country once known as the “Kingdom of Bicycles” back on two wheels.

Companies such as Ofo and Mobike, with their rival fleets of bumblebee yellow and fluorescent orange bikes, have been locked in a cut-throat battle for customers.

But problems have arisen when clients have abandoned their cycles.

“Some people these days just have really bad character,” a man named He, who lives near where the stacks appeared, told the Southern Metropolis Daily.

“When they’re done using [the bike] they just throw it away somewhere, because they’ve already paid.”

In the past few days he witnessed people demolishing the bikes before discarding them on the side of the road, he said.

Residents told the paper that bikes had been piling up over the past week, either parked haphazardly by careless users or stacked by local security guards trying to clear narrow residential alleys and footpaths.

Zhuang Chuangyu, a representative at Shenzhen’s municipal people’s congress, said the city needed to step up regulation of the bike-sharing industry in order to improve traffic conditions and safety standards, especially since schoolchildren often used the bikes.

In the years following Mao Zedong’s 1949 communist takeover, bikes ruled supreme in China and the Flying Pigeon – the eastern equivalent of the Raleigh Roadster – became one of the country’s most recognisable symbols.

But two-wheeled travel began to go out of fashion as China became more open to the world, ushering in decades of economic growth and a high demand for cars.

In 1980, almost 63% of commuters cycled to work, the Beijing Morning Post reported in 2015, citing government data. But by 2000 that number had plummeted to 38% and today it stands at less than 12%.

Car use, meanwhile, has rocketed. In 2010 China overtook the US to become the world’s largest car market, with 13.5m vehicles sold in just 12 months.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
This seems like a really easy fix.

You get charged per hour until you return the bike. If it's a cash only system you pay a deposit. Tada!

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well we all make choices on what to do with our time....
I said "I wish," and we all know wishes aren't real. That's why I do other things instead of read.

kimcicle posted:

Bike sharing with Chinese characteristics:

quote:

Residents told the paper that bikes had been piling up over the past week, either parked haphazardly by careless users or stacked by local security guards trying to clear narrow residential alleys and footpaths.

The quote is good, because I have many many many many times this past couple months seen people dump these bikes in the worst places just because it's easier than putting it a few meters elsewhere and safe. They get off and practically toss them and then the other lazy asses are too lazy to pick them up and will instead scurry looking for one that isn't upside down behind a shrub. The school kids that ride them are extremely reckless and abusive because it's not their property and they are only paying like 3 RMB to use it, so they do what little boys do and trash them and try to break them while or damage them.

The article reminded me that people in my building complex (it's several buildings all connected by a main lower floor shopping center) were taking them up to their floors and parking them by the elevators, but people were too lazy to put them back onto the elevators to take downstairs and use. It got so bad that the building managers took them out and there were three piles of like 50 bikes from various companies, similar to the photos in the article. They got scrap trucks that they usually use to throw away the 40 refrigerators that people leave behind every month when contracts are up, and they took away all of the bikes. I expect another one of these piles to appear eventually.

I've stated before how much I hate sharing the sidewalk with the idiots riding these things, and weekends have been getting progressively more frustrating as more and more bikes are appearing, leading to more and more people riding them while typing on their phones and swerving like drunk toddlers. I can't go anywhere without someone on the verge of crashing into everyone. One of the busy corners near me put in these high fences and zig-zag gates that don't allow bikes through, which prevents these idiots and ebikers from getting in. It's wonderful.
I hope the city regulates the hell out of them. It's just going to get more out of hand. These companies are literally dumping them out of the back from semi-trucks onto street corners at night, and the riders don't give a gently caress where they drop them when their done, and how they treat them while using them.

Outrail posted:

You get charged per hour until you return the bike. If it's a cash only system you pay a deposit. Tada!
You download the company-specific app and scan the QR code. It deducts from your Wechat Pay or Alipay or whatever. Some have rules like they need to be returned to a Metro or bus station, or some busy area, or else you get a small fine until it is (like 1-2 RMB per hour). The rest are just pump and dump. You can ride it, hop off, hit "finished" in the app and get charged, and then throw it into a river or the sea. There are no rules. Once you pay and say you're done, you can just carry it to your house and leave it in front of your door for a few months. There so many of these loving bikes that none of these companies will ever have enough people to find them or repair them. There has to be many thousands of these loving things from each company in this city, and who wants to repair that many bikes? Some of them have really lovely features like solid-rubber tires that can't pop, and other uncomfortable things, but people still find ways to destroy them. They'll all end up in landfills somewhere. It's a huge waste, probably way more polluting than whatever supposed "not using a car" bullshit they are promoting.

Haier fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 17, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think you should ever leave China and in fact am starting to get the feeling that you have a perverse pleasure in the terribleness that you have surrounded yourself.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

Hell if you have credit card info just take out 3, 5, who cares how many times the value of the bike.

Are there any Shenzhen goons who can help me understand how this even became a problem?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Mameluke posted:

Hell if you have credit card info just take out 3, 5, who cares how many times the value of the bike.

Are there any Shenzhen goons who can help me understand how this even became a problem?
Me.

Haier posted:

You download the company-specific app and scan the QR code. It deducts from your Wechat Pay or Alipay or whatever. Some have rules like they need to be returned to a Metro or bus station, or some busy area, or else you get a small fine until it is (like 1-2 RMB per hour). The rest are just pump and dump. You can ride it, hop off, hit "finished" in the app and get charged, and then throw it into a river or the sea. There are no rules. Once you pay and say you're done, you can just carry it to your house and leave it in front of your door for a few months. There so many of these loving bikes that none of these companies will ever have enough people to find them or repair them. There has to be many thousands of these loving things from each company in this city, and who wants to repair that many bikes? Some of them have really lovely features like solid-rubber tires that can't pop, and other uncomfortable things, but people still find ways to destroy them. They'll all end up in landfills somewhere. It's a huge waste, probably way more polluting than whatever supposed "not using a car" bullshit they are promoting.

Also, they are super cheap to use. Like, ride a few hours and it's probably less than 10 RMB. Some companies have been showing up on my corner here that are obviously very fancy bikes, and their starting rate is like 10+ and then X per kilometer after that, like a lovely taxi service.

Haier fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 17, 2017

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

this is why you have to pay a deposit for this poo poo basically anywhere else

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Jeoh posted:

this is why you have to pay a deposit for this poo poo basically anywhere else
I don't know where these companies got the money to do this, but all I know is they pick them up/drop them at night. They are clogging up so many places now, especially busy Metro stations. I'll take some pics next time I go around a Metro station.

One example was I was with this girl and she was going to ride a bike while I skateboarded next to her. She used the app to find a bike, and tried to scan the QR code. The app said the bike was broken. It was not, it was perfectly fine. The app said it was broken, so it refused to rent the bike. If we wanted, there's nothing to stop us from stomping on that bike or stealing parts. It won't alert anyone to our abuse, all it has is a GPS tracking thing and the user reports it's broken. Now imagine all those apathetic people that don't give a drat to report that their busted bike is not broken? The next user coming won't report it either, because they can find a working on. The companies will pick up the reported broken ones, but not the unreported ones. There's just too many of the bikes to deal with, and this is the land of Chabuduo.

They'll just sit there abandoned and broken for who knows how long, and tossed aside to make way for working bikes. It's already happening at the busy places, and it's just going to get worse as they put out more of these things.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Don't really have any of those problems in Chengdu from what I've seen. I've seen one bike that was hosed up but it had obviously been hit by a car rather than someone destroying it on purpose. They've painted boxes on the pavement for bike parking on most streets where I live, not sure about the rest of the city, which only happened recently so I'm guessing they did that because of these bikes and most people seem to use them. I haven't seen a bike in a building, left in the way anywhere or just thrown on the floor or anything like that.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Haier posted:

Languages were invented by hillbillies and progressed by other hillbillies.
The angriest English for me is Hawaiian Pidgin. The tones used in it (borrowed from a multitude of Asian and Pacific Islander origins) make every single sentence sound like a combination of condescending sarcasm, anger, and annoyance. Despite growing up around it, I always thought people were pissed off all time (and many were).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaolMcl8v0I

I do enjoy your posts but you have some issues with Hawaii or maybe just hawaiians. To me, Hawaiian pidgin doesn't sound at all angry and in fact often comes off with a friendly or more positive vibe.

Who hurt you Haier?

Evil Agita fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 17, 2017

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Yeah, growing up in Hawaii and meeting people from the islands on occasion in the mainland, Hawaiian people are like the least angriest people anywhere.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That's a good shirt

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Dog the bounty hunter taught me that Hawaiians are iceheads and need Christ after getting maced.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
*Runs in to thread breathing hard* Hah.. hah... is this the place where Scandinavian countries mock the Western Allies contribution to defeating the Nazis without a hint of irony?? *wheeze*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

americans buy $4 worth of chinese goods for every $1 they buy in imports from america.

I wonder who would win the this trade war?

• Locked thread