Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What's 'lol' is assuming that the negative consequences of leaving one free trading area will necessarily lead to increase in support for Scotland leaving a far more important one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

What's 'lol' is assuming that the negative consequences of leaving one free trading area will necessarily lead to increase in support for Scotland leaving a far more important one.

I didn't say the polls would go in one specific direction, but material conditions changing will definitely change public opinion. It's the only thing that matters.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fiction posted:

I didn't say the polls would go in one specific direction, but material conditions changing will definitely change public opinion. It's the only thing that matters.

Absolutely - which is why we should pay attention to public opinion now and see how it changes, not wave it away as unimportant because we hope we'll prefer what it tells us at some point in the future.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Absolutely - which is why we should pay attention to public opinion now and see how it changes, not wave it away as unimportant because we hope we'll prefer what it tells us at some point in the future.

An important point, Pissflaps.

We should carefully note contemporary polling so that when opinion eventually shifts in favour of independence, after the forthcoming recession and subsequent discontent at Whitehall's incompetence, we will be able to properly assess the impact of Brexit on the national question.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's a sad fact that many nationalists will be praying for economic misery for millions just to further their separatist aims.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

It's a sad fact that many nationalists will be praying for economic misery for millions just to further their separatist aims.

Truly sad, Pissflaps.

I'm sure supporters of the union are happily welcoming the nascent recovery in the oil industry, having spent so much time developing constructive solutions to the sector's problems and contributing towards detailed plans for the diversification of the North East's economy, rather than making petty and irrelevant constitutional arguments based on 2014 alternate history scenarios.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That sentence is too complex and sarcasm laden to parse. Can you break it down a bit?

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Pissflaps posted:

The NHS is devolved, and we're referring to Scottish independence polling.

A quick injerjection on this point since the rest of what you've said is pretty spot on wrt polling.

The NHS is devolved but if the Tories continue privatisation then the consequentials allocated to Scotland via Barnett will decrease, leading in a reduction of funds available to the Scottish NHS. So, while the NHS is indeed devolved, it's funding is still heavily dependent on the actions of the UK government.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Soft Brexit means Indy Ref is off the table

Polling numbers figure into nothing, clearly.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm surprised it's been said out loud.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I'm surprised it's been said out loud.

She either believes Soft Brexit won't happen, or she reckons the chances of winning a referendum if we do stay in the single market are so low, it's not worth running the campaign without a different impetus to cause it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
An aspect of this is that it takes off the table the idea that Scotland could vote for independence and then negotiate seamless transition of membership with the eu.

The timescales involved were always ambitious but if there was another referendum, it won't be a straight immediate choice between the UK and the EU.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Fiction posted:

what about people looking funny eating sandwiches

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Let's be fair, there was a lot more wrong with Ed Milliband than his sandwich-eating technique. Many adverse qualities that he has actually seemed to shed since his bid to lead the country, though that might be a matter of optics rather than personal growth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TomViolence posted:

Let's be fair, there was a lot more wrong with Ed Milliband than his sandwich-eating technique. Many adverse qualities that he has actually seemed to shed since his bid to lead the country, though that might be a matter of optics rather than personal growth.

The only picture I saw of him post election he'd grown some extremely questionable facial hair.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

A question settled for a console generation.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It hasn't even been a Pokémon generation.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Bluffing pro tip: never admit you are bluffing.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Also he's a regular reminder that she can't 'call' a referendum.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I just saw the artists impression of the replacement Bridge of Dee that the SNP have pledged to build if they gain control of City Council in May. It would require demolishing Boots and the old AAA building and moving several houses, a roundabout and the Ghillies Lair about 20 yards out. Someone needs to learn what a tape measure is and how to use it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This has nothing to do with politics but my brother in law was visiting over Xmas and hogmanay and he became addicted to irn Bru and junk food such as sausage rolls and bridies. He even started eating rowies when we went up to Aberdeen...

No wonder men die so young in Scotland.

Oh we also went to the boardgame cafe down the road and it was actually ace. Maybe I am a boardgame dweeb now.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I mean, while it's only been 27 months since the referendum, I'd argue that the Western World has changed more significantly than it has in the past 27 years. When I voted No in 2014 it was with the vague idea that a unified UK in the EU was important to the defense and coherence of the West as a whole, but I didn't expect the UK and US to veer away from Europe to the extent that they now have. I think it's wrong to say that generational changes can't happen abruptly, and if they do I'm not sure it's unreasonable to ask constitutional questions again regardless of how much actual time has passed.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

vegetables posted:

I mean, while it's only been 27 months since the referendum, I'd argue that the Western World has changed more significantly than it has in the past 27 years. When I voted No in 2014 it was with the vague idea that a unified UK in the EU was important to the defense and coherence of the West as a whole, but I didn't expect the UK and US to veer away from Europe to the extent that they now have. I think it's wrong to say that generational changes can't happen abruptly, and if they do I'm not sure it's unreasonable to ask constitutional questions again regardless of how much actual time has passed.

Putting aside how strongly I disagree with the statement of '27 months greater than 27 years' (Berlin Wall, 9/11 being pretty solid contenders for 'bigger events in the western world than brexit and a tangerine ballbag becoming president' imo)...

When we do the referendum dance again does it not become more likely that the requirements for asking the question will get lower? this feels like one of those slippery slope things where it's just 'keep asking until you get the answer you want' things.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
While I'm opposed to any more referendums on any topic in the UK, the reaction from nationalists to losing another independence referendum would be quite a spectacle and almost make it worthwhile.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sion posted:

Okay, but when we do the referendum dance again does it not become more likely that the requirements for asking the question will get lower? this feels like one of those slippery slope things where it's just 'keep asking until you get the answer you want' things.
I'm OK with that. Though I'd prefer the SNP just to say gently caress it and have unilateral declaration of independence just to see what happens next. That'd be fun. Referenda are a poo poo idea.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd want to see Sturgeon in the Tower of London .

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sion posted:

When we do the referendum dance again does it not become more likely that the requirements for asking the question will get lower? this feels like one of those slippery slope things where it's just 'keep asking until you get the answer you want' things.

The first referendum was held on the basis that the SNP wanted independence and the Tories wanted them to shut up. Asking for a second referendum now will be on the basis that the Tories have absolutely hosed the UK and the SNP want to preserve Scotland by taking it out. That's a higher requirement for asking the question, not lower.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Sion posted:

Putting aside how strongly I disagree with the statement of '27 months greater than 27 years' (Berlin Wall, 9/11 being pretty solid contenders for 'bigger events in the western world than brexit and a tangerine ballbag becoming president' imo)...

The Berlin Wall didn't fall in the last 27 years; I chose my time period carefully so I could exclude it in a sophistic way. But I honestly think 9/11 is vanishingly significant compared to the realignment we're seeing now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Scotland's membership of the UK isn't contingent on the UK's membership of the EU: while it doesn't surprise me to see nationalists use it as a casus belli, that doesn't mean they should be indulged.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

vegetables posted:

The Berlin Wall didn't fall in the last 27 years; I chose my time period carefully so I could exclude it in a sophistic way. But I honestly think 9/11 is vanishingly significant compared to the realignment we're seeing now.

9/11 and the ensuing war on terror is vanishingly insignificant, aye?

also, fair point about the Berlin Wall. I was 2 months out.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Scotland's membership of the UK isn't contingent on the UK's membership of the EU: while it doesn't surprise me to see nationalists use it as a casus belli, that doesn't mean they should be indulged.

Jedit is literally the most anti-SNP member of Something Awful.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

vegetables posted:

Stay on target.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

vegetables posted:

...why are you telling me this?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

...why are you telling me this?

Sion posted:

Stay on target.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I don't understand this post.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I don't understand this post.

I think people are trying to have a discussion about something that doesn't involve going 'this guy is a poo head' 'no this guy is/i don't get what you mean'

By telling people to stay on target, I am attempting to keep the thread on the target of discussing scottish politics rather than the people posting in the thread about scottish politics.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm fascinated to see Sturgeon's response to May's speech: how can she not ask for a referendum now that no single market membership or special Scottish deal has been confirmed?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/821362320383311873

Sturgeon has bottled it.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

No, it's the right decision. The narrative the SNP are spinning is that they've been responsible and tried everything they could possibly have done to keep Scotland both in the UK and in the EU. Acting now before the vote in Westminster would undermine that fatally, especially since the Conservatives and Labour approving of the Brexit terms is going to be a key part of their argument for independence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
She laid down a line that's now been crossed and her rhetoric is moving away from demanding another referendum.

It's a bottle job. The painted face brigade will be furious.