Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Black_Nexus posted:

Stormfiends, stormvermin, The skaven with rifles.

The abomination is great too.

Ah Jezzails. The bane of three editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
thems some ugly models

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Moola posted:

thems some ugly models
Nah they're cool except the acolytes, which are indeed ugly.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Acolytes have a cool birb tho.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

Nah they're cool except the acolytes, which are indeed ugly.

the changeling is ok because he is not an over-detailed mess

I dont like anything else

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah, the posing on the Changeling is a bit screwy (something about his left arms make me think "baby's first conversion") but the overall concept works for me, and it looks suitably unique/impressive for a character model without being a transporting/storage nightmare.

Kairos is awkwardly-posed, overly-busy, and a bit of an unoriginal concept given that the "Lord of Change" probably already has too many bird dudes. The Tzaangors, as with the previous iterations, are just more boring bird dudes, and they don't really look like they belong on their little hoverdiscs; they really look more like they should be on foot.

These little assholes on the left are great though:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
omg theyre adorable

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

Kairos is awkwardly-posed, overly-busy, and a bit of an unoriginal concept given that the "Lord of Change" probably already has too many bird dudes.
Wait, are you trying to complain that Kairos, a Lord of Change, is a giant bird? :confused: Lords of Change have always been big bird dudes, he's just got two heads and is supposed to be even frailer than the rest. I don't think they captured that last detail in this new version.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I think the LoC is one model I can forgive some busyness since it's supposed to look sort of fluid and amorphous.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Safety Factor posted:

Wait, are you trying to complain that Kairos, a Lord of Change, is a giant bird? :confused: Lords of Change have always been big bird dudes, he's just got two heads and is supposed to be even frailer than the rest. I don't think they captured that last detail in this new version.

I know that's how he's supposed to be. I just think it's pretty boring. Like, they killed off the old setting so why not use this as an opportunity to make your new stuff more interesting?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The best Tzeentch models are still the old metal Horrors. Where you had one Horror tearing it's way out of it's own mouth etc.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The best Tzeentch models are still the old metal Horrors. Where you had one Horror tearing it's way out of it's own mouth etc.

Yeah they've never matched that. I'm kind of sad I've only got, like, three left.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Skaven jezzails got me one of my long-standing internet handles. One of the fiction blurbs in whatever edition of the Skaven army book had a leader of a team of jezzails, named Throtvile, who decided running was the best option. I thought adding an "h" to get Throthvile helped it roll off the tongue a little easier.

Anytime someone says it out loud they go, "throt...ville?" It's not a goddamn town and goddamn it that's a "th"! In my defense I was maybe twelve when I decided that would be my internet handle for all time.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
OP I made a helpful image for new players please put this in the original post

http://i.imgur.com/jtnREvA.mp4

tia

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Moola posted:

OP I made a helpful image for new players please put this in the original post

http://i.imgur.com/jtnREvA.mp4

tia

:vince:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Should've linked the whole thing.
http://earlploddington.tumblr.com/post/155890005088/genderviscera-filenames-autoresolvewebm

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 15, 2017

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What do you think are some of the best miniatures in the whole range? Regardless of rules.

Necrosphinx (oop)
Both Wight Kings
Ironjawz Warboss (even though he looks like a space marine in terminator armor)
Khorne War Priests and bloodreavers (their best buff dudes yet, although rest of bloodbound is a bit busy looking)
Varanguard
Chaos Lord (unmounted plastic guy)
Gaunt Summoner
Coven Throne/Mortis Engine
New Lord of Change
Tzaangors on Discs
Mistweaver Saih (maybe when the rest of the "aelves" get sigmarined they will look like this?)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Probably the Green Knight.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Verminlord Corruptor

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Definitely the Orc cheerleaders from Blood Bowl.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I love the carnosaur plastic kit, it or the Bastilidon are my fav kit

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tomb Kings or Bretonnians both look real cool.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Tenebrael Shard and Mistweaver Saih
Pretty much all of the Sylvaneth, especially the Hunters/Revenants/Allarielle
Magmadroth
All the Wood Elf range (bar the Glade Guard, gently caress the Glade Guard kit) still holds up
Ditto the Undead (bar Zombies)

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The miniatures that got me into WHFB were Archaon (the old horse sculpt, not the new grossly overdesigned monstrosity they made for AoS) and Be'lakor, which I still think are the best Chaos miniatures ever made.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Christ I almost forgot about Be'lakor. Amazing sculpt. I was so happy when he made an appearance in Fall of Cadia, being as salty as ever.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like the chaos warriors plastic kit

they pulled off menacing indomitable evil knights so well with those

They're also a prime example of less is more in regards to detail

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Probably the Green Knight.

Also the Imperial Noble from WHQ. Such a cocky bastard.

From the modern range? Probably the Ironjaw Brutes.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Chaos Warriors look nice, but their rigid, compact design really lets them down. The Chaos Knights kit pulls off the same aesthetic while looking much more dynamic.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Yeah, there's so loving little you can do with the chaos warriors, definitely a swing too far in the other direction from the (undeniably shittier) multipose 5th ed warriors.

Archaon on horse is a classic, as is settra. The current stormvermin are amazing, nailing the concept after loads of previous iterations that never quite worked. Metal Tzeentch horrors, in fact all the 6th ed metal daemons were vastly superior to the plastic ones.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Was never fond of the metal Bloodletters from that era. They were aggressively generic.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh god, I forgot how good the metal plaguebearers were too. I particularly hate the plastic PB's swords. The metal ones just had big corroded cleavers and they ruled.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
from the modern era?

Deathblood Bloodshitters

I think they really improved on the design of the Murderfuck Deathbloods

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The Empire general with hammer and pistol, plus the witch hunter drawing his pistol are the two best Empire minis if you ask me. I was happy I finally got to paint those. After them I'd say the Darkoath Chieftain from WHQ Silver Tower, that mini's incredible and remarkably restrained compared to a lot of AOS stuff. Mawkrusha is a great model too, even if the Ork megaboss on top looks kinda tacked on.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

Chaos Warriors look nice, but their rigid, compact design really lets them down. The Chaos Knights kit pulls off the same aesthetic while looking much more dynamic.

They're designed to be ranked in a block- you don't need a ton of dynamism and detail when the goal is to make the unit as a whole look cool rather than each individual model.

My favorite sculpts are the green knight, galrauch (best dragon ever, and it's totally different than all the other dragons that are based off the same plastic bodies), the nurgle chaos lord on the skinny horse with a big scythe and the base that has a sign pointing towards Praag, and the metal questing knights.

E: showing not telling!

And my galrauch:

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 17, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There's a ton of models that manage to be rankable without being completely static and rigid.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Chaos warriors don't look 'completely static and rigid' they just look uniform

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I can't find my Bretonnian green knight and Grail Reliquae. :negative:

SteelMentor posted:

There's a ton of models that manage to be rankable without being completely static and rigid.
Sure, but the problem with a lot of those is the amount of time it takes to put them together out of the carrying case since they usually only rank together in a specific fashion.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Chill la Chill posted:

I can't find my Bretonnian green knight and Grail Reliquae. :negative:

Sure, but the problem with a lot of those is the amount of time it takes to put them together out of the carrying case since they usually only rank together in a specific fashion.

Glory be to Kings of War multi-basing where I can make a festive tray with widely spaced slots for my models to rest in.

Come to think of it, a lot of the old High Elf stuff was pretty great. The metal Swordmasters don't have a ton of variety but they're fairly intimidating when you have a block of them and the recent plastic chariot is cool, just a pain in the rear end to get the reigns to fit. I wish I had some of the old metal Dragon Princes with the wings sticking out of the sides of their heads.

Also, I like the old metal Durthu better than the spindly and pointy Wood Aelf tree people but that's just a style preference I think.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

the chaos warriors probably seem more boring than they are just because they've been so loving ubiquitous for so long. Chaos problems. more variation in the torso/leg positions and giving them some different fur mantles and capes would still improve them 100% tho imo and could be done without sacrificing their uniformity/visual impact.

Moola posted:

from the modern era?

Deathblood Bloodshitters

I think they really improved on the design of the Murderfuck Deathbloods
you laugh but the slaughterpriests and exalted deathbringers are actually good as hell. :colbert:

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

These dapper fellows are obviously the finest Citadel miniatures ever made.

e. I'm Leperflesh.

• Locked thread