Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Asiina posted:

I haven't picked up saying "boy" but "my dude" has become part of my regular vocabulary.

My roommate got so mad at me every time I played rocket league because of this.

"Hey mmmmmm maybe pass the ball there my dude"

"Hey, my dude, it is okay to not hit the ball all the time ya'know?"

"That is one tasty goal my dude"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
1. :( :( :( 2. man the turnaround time on TAZ fanart is pretty amazing

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
I've been dabbling in the Mbmbam Cinematic Universe for a few months now. While I can't claim they've infected my vocabulary any, because I already called things "boys" long beforehand, from time to time when I'm sitting alone somewhere I'll think "Cakeboss!" apropos of nothing and crack up.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Your insane impromptu laughter is justified. The intermittent stories of The Cakeboss on the show are hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpz7zQvHAw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M93xHHMxU0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHUYDw9mo-A

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
You can't! ...Arrest me, I'm the cake boss.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Apparently one of my grandma's friends is close personal friends with Cakeboss. My grandma was telling me about a party of theirs she went to with a Cakeboss cake, but said "the cake was so good! I can't remember what it looked like though" and that almost set me off on a loving hysterical trip thinking about that bit

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Cake boss can't see the city!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My mother gave me a very nice Cake Boss cookbook for Hanukkah and I genuinely had to explain why I burst out laughing seeing it, because she 100% had no clue what MBMBAM was and all and just knew I like food network and cooking.

The book's actually pretty solid, very little cakes though.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
My favorite Cakeboss goof isn't even the bit itself, it's the part of the gay bachelor party question where Justin's laughing his rear end off, pauses to speak, fails and laughs again, then just BARELY squeaks out the words "Cakeboss"

Justice Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 16, 2017

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Why is everybody in the facebook TAZ so thirsty for Taako and POC in fancastings? Are those the same beings that got ANGRY at the TAZ graphic novel for having white characters?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I can answer the former: it's because Taako is The Best.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

El Padrino posted:

Why is everybody in the facebook TAZ so thirsty for Taako and POC in fancastings? Are those the same beings that got ANGRY at the TAZ graphic novel for having white characters?

Because Taako is a vaguely gay/bi elf so he must be thin and pretty and because POC characters have a bad history of under-representation in comics.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
From the beginning I just sort of assumed Taako was tall and thin because, well, he's an elf. As for the thirst part, yeah he's some flavor of queer, very smart/clever, and I would say the most interesting character out of the three of them. Obviously they all work great as a team and something would be missing without each of them, but he seems like the least replaceable of the three.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think fandoms tend to latch on to gay characters in nerdy genre stuff just because there aren't that many of them, and gay fans are just looking for characters like them.

I think it's interesting though that Justin started out saying one of Taako's defining features was how dumb he is, because he thought a dumb wizard was funny. But Merle and Magnus do so much dumb stuff just by default, that Justin kind of naturally fell into a snarky, smartest-one-in-the-room groove.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Oh by the way, here's Knife Dad's backstory, incase you didn't want to pause the video.

"He fuccs like a broken train, but he runs on time, if you know what I mean."

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I think fandoms tend to latch on to gay characters in nerdy genre stuff just because there aren't that many of them, and gay fans are just looking for characters like them.

I think it's interesting though that Justin started out saying one of Taako's defining features was how dumb he is, because he thought a dumb wizard was funny. But Merle and Magnus do so much dumb stuff just by default, that Justin kind of naturally fell into a snarky, smartest-one-in-the-room groove.

I think Taako evolved from being super dumb into a cat that is like, super aloof and disconnected from what's happening around him, which makes him seem dumb. Magnus just became a big softie. And Merle... Is Merle.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

hasn't Justin explicitly said that Taako is canonically gay?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, it was mentioned in The The Adventure Zone Zone, he just kinda sat on the idea for a while when he realized the Taako voice made it seem like a really awkward stereotype. Then he went on a date with Kravitz so I guess that cat's out of the bag.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Yeah, it was mentioned in The The Adventure Zone Zone, he just kinda sat on the idea for a while when he realized the Taako voice made it seem like a really awkward stereotype. Then he went on a date with Kravitz so I guess that cat's out of the bag.

I don't know what voice Justin thinks he's doing but it's not a stereotype. Maybe a Frank Nelson stereotype, or a brain damaged person stereotype, but not a gay one.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Taako's voice is modeled off a friend of theirs, iirc.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

Taako's voice is modeled off a friend of theirs, iirc.

Wanna meet that friend

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think because Taako's voice is so much higher than Justin's he didn't want it to seem like he was doing a stereotypical effeminate voice that is sometimes used to mock gay people.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Asiina posted:

I think because Taako's voice is so much higher than Justin's he didn't want it to seem like he was doing a stereotypical effeminate voice that is sometimes used to mock gay people.

That was his explanation in The Sdventure Zone Zone

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Taako through Justin is a good example of good D&D player progression. It started with a broad accent, quirky yet well-trod character class concept, with a few hooks to hang things on. Over time, with at least some mindfulness, he developed into this hybrid of Justin's id and the original character which meshes with the group and that no one else can play quite the same way.

Taako is bar none the most dynamic and interesting PC of THB, it's not hard to get why people are thirsty for him. Granted, it's still fair to say he owes a lot of his popularity to the support from his dad and brother who let him shine.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want them to do a "My My Brother My Brother and Me and Me"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I want a Cool Games Inc with Justin, Travis and Nick's bro Porter, called His Brother, His Brother and His Brother.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I haven't had time to read this yet, but: Masterpost of Cryptic poo poo from The Adventure Zone! I've been looking for something like this, where all the prophecies and poo poo are in one place. The wiki doesn't really have that.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
It also helps Taako's memorable moments that Justin is literally the only player in the group who actually remembers to use his unique class abilities.

Merle is still my favorite, because Clint is great and nature-loving Beach Dwarves is the most unintentionally original fantasy concept I've ever heard, but I wish the boys would prepare him some flash cards or something to remind him that he's at least a 6th level cleric.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They literally have prepared flash cards.

It's only helped so much.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Clint's ineptitude at even the very basics annoys me most of the time. The character is fine, but just like dude you've been playing for 2+ years, it's long past funny that you don't know how to do literally anything.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Asiina posted:

Clint's ineptitude at even the very basics annoys me most of the time. The character is fine, but just like dude you've been playing for 2+ years, it's long past funny that you don't know how to do literally anything.
do you even have a dad

Serf
May 5, 2011

I will never not be entertained by the fact that Clint can't be bothered to learn the rules of the game. I hope he tries to con Griffin into letting him cast more spells he can't access soon.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure they're playing it for goofs. Having one hopelessly inept player (who coincidentally happens to be the dad) is almost required, as is the guy who fudges rolls to win (Travis) in most DnD sessions

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Saw this pointed out on Tumblr –since Griffin already made a Monster Factory reference in the last episode, could those faceless jittering mannequins with fully articulated limbs and fingers be…

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 17, 2017

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I can't wait for bone dogg to show up

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I can't wait for bone dogg to show up

What about the red robe? You know, the skeletal one with the ability to stop time?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Ariong posted:

What about the red robe? You know, the skeletal one with the ability to stop time?

If this whole campaign leads up to Griffin's GarageBand remix of X Gon Give it to Ya playing in the final encounter of the campaign, it will have been more than worth it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Stroop There It Is posted:

do you even have a dad

No, actually.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Anyway, here is Justin posting Vines before Vine dies today.

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/821419258966052865

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/821419462213648384

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/821419973386059776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kenny Logins posted:

Taako is bar none the most dynamic and interesting PC of THB, it's not hard to get why people are thirsty for him. Granted, it's still fair to say he owes a lot of his popularity to the support from his dad and brother who let him shine.
I honestly find Taako the character far more entertaining and humorous than Justin the human. (Justin the human is still p. cool though)