Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

syscall girl posted:

That's a really negative attitude.

What's up with that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Nw7HbaeWY

I've watched this video a couple of times a while ago and I really don't get what it's trying to say. Is England facing some sort of invasion of south Asian boat people? If so those are some long-range boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Europe is going to have a very hard time feeding the people that already live there when the AMOC shuts down, there is literally no way they could accept all the refugees they will be seeing in the next couple decades.

This is part of why a lot of people in this thread talk about the future of the first world being one of brutality and authoritarianism, because these nations will not survive without an incredibly heavy border security force willing to gun down any incoming refugees at any given time, assuming they themselves can survive and not become a nation of refugees in the first place.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
In a spot of good news, the efforts to archive climate research data so Trump can't burn it all down are going well.

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

Dr. Furious posted:

A number of studies have also shown that when many crops are grown at elevated carbon dioxide levels, levels of key nutrients decline. It's not a simple system where increasing inputs will lead to increased outputs.

Yeah, this is another interesting point. CO2-rich wheat and barley actually have a different nutritional composition. They have less dietary zinc and iron, and, according to an article I found on Nature, these deficiencies often result in shortened lifespans. So it may even turn out the crops that were supposed to be saving the lives of hungry people would just be prolonging them until dietary deficiency took them out. The article ultimately suggests breeding types of wheat and barley that aren't sensitive to CO2 in the atmosphere. So that just goes to show that the productivity bump not only doesn't even result in less life-years lost, but actually kills people faster.

Source: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v510/n7503/full/nature13179.html

We are so hosed.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Electric Owl posted:

Yeah, this is another interesting point. CO2-rich wheat and barley actually have a different nutritional composition. They have less dietary zinc and iron, and, according to an article I found on Nature, these deficiencies often result in shortened lifespans. So it may even turn out the crops that were supposed to be saving the lives of hungry people would just be prolonging them until dietary deficiency took them out. The article ultimately suggests breeding types of wheat and barley that aren't sensitive to CO2 in the atmosphere. So that just goes to show that the productivity bump not only doesn't even result in less life-years lost, but actually kills people faster.

Source: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v510/n7503/full/nature13179.html

We are so hosed.

This is dumb, you do not kill more people (especially starving ones) with a higher abundance of wheat, not even low quality wheat, definitely not when the nutritional deficit is in easy to supplement nutrients such as those.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

ChairMaster posted:

Europe is going to have a very hard time feeding the people that already live there when the AMOC shuts down, there is literally no way they could accept all the refugees they will be seeing in the next couple decades.

This is part of why a lot of people in this thread talk about the future of the first world being one of brutality and authoritarianism, because these nations will not survive without an incredibly heavy border security force willing to gun down any incoming refugees at any given time, assuming they themselves can survive and not become a nation of refugees in the first place.

Just gonna repost this part of a write-up I made a while back ...

quote:

What do we do?

This is where things get thorny, because there are really only two answers to this question. And, in my opinion, it's starkly apparent which one we are choosing. I'll leave it up to you to decide which one you think that is.

Answer #1: Let the Fuckers Die

Oh sure, we will cluck our tongues, send our prayers over Twitter, maybe make a donation to the Red Cross, but generally speaking, we will just let the fuckers die.

The wealthy nations of the world will continue to calcify their borders, come up with even more elaborate and sophisticated surveillance methods, and withdraw from international obligations in order to sort out their own climate-change strategies at home (hey, those barriers to protect New York City from storm surges aren't free you know).

What seems like a surveillance state to us now will seem like a paradise of liberty and freedom to future generations -- if they are even aware of the kind of freedoms we had. Ultimately, we will keep the status quo going for as long as humanly possible, with maybe a few social-democratic changes here and there to keep everyone happy and well-fed in the lifeboats. Regardless, since we are all basically powerless to stop the inertia of our economic, social, and political systems, and since attempts to collectively come together to address potential reforms will likely be smothered-in-the-crib both online and in reality, we will simply have to be content to click the frowny face on Facebook that accompanies the article about the tens-of-thousands who died in Thailand during the most recent typhoon in order to register our impotent horror at what the world is coming to.

Internationally, we can expect to witness institutional and social collapse on an unprecedented scale in the developing world, but don't expect it to affect us. For the ones who try to escape, they will simply become part of the meat-grinder of human misery within their own borders. For the incredibly lucky ones who get within spitting distance of a wealthy western nation and don't drown in the process, they will either be detained in horrific conditions (see: Australia), or simply blown up or shot -- all outside the public eye, mind you. Maybe to try and soothe our collective guilt we will have some token efforts to accept a piddling amount of refugees through a 'humane' and 'fair' determination method -- possibly a lottery? Who knows.

In any case, I don't envision that we will see migrants being shot or detained on the borders of the inner core of privileged countries. We will leave the grisly duty of thinning the asylum claims to transit states like Hungary and Greece (or, in the case of North America, Mexico), whom I imagine we will start making some pretty sweet deals with in return for some, uh, discrete and 'enhanced' border security measures.

Pros: We will be fine!
Cons: Untold millions die and the planet becomes much more hostile to human civilization and for the love of god lets hope India and Pakistan don't duke it out!

Answer #2: We Do Something!

Armed with the knowledge that the best way to prevent a migration crisis is to make drastic efforts to strengthen and enhance the institutional capabilities of the most vulnerable regions of the world, humanity collectively decides to invest enormous resources into development programmes that allow global populations to mitigate and adapt in place for the effects of climate change.

I don't think I can over emphasize enough the scale of resources, international cooperation, and jurisdictional overlap that would have to occur under such a scenario. The actions necessary to coordinate for this would dwarf by several orders of magnitude anything seen during WWII. We would essentially be undertaking a generations long process with the following goals:

1. Ensure that almost all nations on earth have the capability to mitigate or adapt to the effects of climate change within the next thirty years;
2. Undertake this process in a way that does not repeat the mistakes of colonialism and respects national autonomy and diversity of populations;
3. Do all of the above in a manner that simultaneously reduces carbon emissions; and,
4. Ensure the process is uninterrupted, even if results will not be seen for half-a-century or more, and even if it may cause a slight material reduction in the quality of life for those living in the global north.

Pros: Humanity enters a golden age where nations and cultures deeply commit themselves to planetary stewardship for the benefit of all current and future generations!
Cons: We don't get new iPhones every three years and our taxes go up!

Yeah, tl;dr we are so screwed.

sitchensis fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 15, 2017

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Zudgemud posted:

This is dumb, you do not kill more people (especially starving ones) with a higher abundance of wheat, not even low quality wheat, definitely not when the nutritional deficit is in easy to supplement nutrients such as those.

It's easy to supplement nutrients when you can travel a few miles to Walmart and buy a bottle of multivitamins. It's not so easy when you're walking a few miles with a bucket to get fresh water.

The problem goes beyond just human consumption, too. How do you supplement the diets of pollinating insects when plants providing key protein sources become less nutritious?

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/bee_collapse_co2_climate_change_agriculture/2991/

Dr. Furious fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 15, 2017

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

Zudgemud posted:

I should clarify. I mean to say that the replacement of the current cereal crops with the zinc and iron deprived ones predicted under the new environmental paradigm will kill more people in the long run even if yield does increase, because of the inherent nutritional deficiencies. In other words, you get slightly more wheat sure, but that crop no longer satisfies people's nutritional needs and so, should the people not supplement that deficiency, it will lead to a fuckton more of life-years lost than if the crop had those iron and zinc levels in balance, regardless of yield.

And, as is unfortunately often the case, that makes the poor the most likely victims. I can't see capitalists sacrificing yield to keep the poor healthy.

almost there fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 15, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The problem with predictions here is that climate change isn't the only driver. It's climate change plus drug-resistant disease plus imminent automation plus plummeting first-world birth rates plus refugee crises plus any of a dozen up-and-coming technologies that could utterly transform the larger monoculture overnight, i.e. quantum computing, fusion, lunar colonization, CO2 utilization, cloned meat, the regenerative economy. On top of that, you've got what Alex Steffen persists in calling the "carbon bubble," where the old oil/coal money continues to panic in the face of imminent obsolescence; a potentially massive depression that could result in India being the up-and-coming lone superpower (even if the U.S. skates on the consequences somehow, China has some rough weather ahead); several cold wars, and a couple that are likely to go hot. Climate change is the item on the list that poses the greatest existential threat, but it's not the only up-and-coming change agent.

(Incidentally, Katie Mack on Twitter, @AstroKatie, is a useful follow if only because her mentions are like a guided tour through the current denialist talking points.)

On an individual level, the answer's still going to be to unify, adapt, and keep your back yard as clean as you can. Decarbonization is coming, whether the money likes it or not.

Junot Diaz posted:

But all the fighting in the world will not help us if we do not also hope. What I’m trying to cultivate is not blind optimism but what the philosopher Jonathan Lear calls radical hope. “What makes this hope radical,” Lear writes, “is that it is directed toward a future goodness that transcends the current ability to understand what it is.” Radical hope is not so much something you have but something you practice; it demands flexibility, openness, and what Lear describes as “imaginative excellence.” Radical hope is our best weapon against despair, even when despair seems justifiable; it makes the survival of the end of your world possible. Only radical hope could have imagined people like us into existence. And I believe that it will help us create a better, more loving future.

(If I had to put money down on an outcome, and assuming no real game-changers show up: nominally progressive voices claw their way into what leadership positions they can find and institute a sort of low-carbon New Deal, fought at every turn by denialists and their organizations, but aided by corporate cash, eager to spend some of their profits in the name of a benevolent cause. The third world takes it right in the seat, regenerative agriculture becomes big business, entire refugee nations begin to spring up in continental Europe, and 2100 looks like Gibson's The Peripheral: an unthinkably-high quality of life for the comparative handful of survivors.)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Wanderer posted:

aided by corporate cash, eager to spend some of their profits in the name of a benevolent cause

Can you explain why a benevolent cause would receive investment from these companies? Posters in this thread have debated for a while whether there is (or will be) money in fighting climate change, and it doesn't seem clear that there a consensus (yet). But you seem to just hand wave that issue away and assert that it will happen out of benevolence?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Can you explain why a benevolent cause would receive investment from these companies? Posters in this thread have debated for a while whether there is (or will be) money in fighting climate change, and it doesn't seem clear that there a consensus (yet). But you seem to just hand wave that issue away and assert that it will happen out of benevolence?

It's actually left over from a tangent I went off on, where I was talking about how a corporate-run dystopia was probably the most likely of all our available options, which I deleted for being fanciful. Call it an editing error.

I do find it easy to imagine a situation where whoever ends up with the Carbon X Prize makes it suddenly attractive to maintain direct CO2 capture facilities, and for various corporations to fund those facilities so they can put their logo all the hell over them, so you've got a giant air-sucking tower in the middle of downtown with a glowing solar-fed Google banner on it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

The big problem is it's not clear that land further north will be arable as soon as the temperature is nominally appropriate. Maybe after a thousand years? I'd put more stock in supplying food with vertical farming and that's CLEARLY a ridiculous pipe-dream.

Totally agree that Halifax + St. John's are doomed. Toronto, Chicago and Montreal are probably destined to become North America's pre-eminent cities once sea-level rise really gets underway. Also if there's one silver lining to climate change, it's that a good chunk of Surrey will be going under even under modest sea-level rise.

edit: The Canadian housing bubble thread is lots of fun, but I wonder whether buying real-estate in Toronto or Chicago isn't actually a really smart long term plan. If society doesn't completely break down and property ownership isn't abolished those two cities are going to absorb a huge amount of immigration from the coasts, and presumably property will become (even more) expensive.

Buy in Detroit. The city's coming back, housings cheap its a major industrial area on water and on an international border. Most places in Michigan would probably be a good bet thanks to the Great Lakes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wanderer posted:

entire refugee nations begin to spring up in continental Europe
Unless you mean European refugee nations, this will literally happen over our dead bodies. Europe seeding refugee routes into North Africa with anthrax seems a more likely scenario.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Oracle posted:

Buy in Detroit. The city's coming back, housings cheap its a major industrial area on water and on an international border. Most places in Michigan would probably be a good bet thanks to the Great Lakes.

No stop it don't tell them about Detroit

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Unless you mean European refugee nations, this will literally happen over our dead bodies. Europe seeding refugee routes into North Africa with anthrax seems a more likely scenario.

As much as I hate to agree: Everyone bear in mind that "Europe" is not some sort of monolithic entity. The southeastern/eastern states of Europe are willing to do poo poo far from what's normally associated with today's western Europe. And as a historical context, when things got rough in western Europe a bit back, we got the third reich. I'm not looking forward to seeing what southeastern Europe produces when faced with millions upon millions of refugees and extreme poverty as a result.

Heck, we already have Strong Man Erdogan in Turkey and Greece is pretty close to following suit. Bulgaria, Serbia and Hungary.... yeah. No.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
It's not so much southeastern Europe as it is the countries that have experienced the highest immigration pressures. Those tendencies will expand across Europe in lockstep with immigration.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Bates posted:

It's not so much southeastern Europe as it is the countries that have experienced the highest immigration pressures. Those tendencies will expand across Europe in lockstep with immigration.

Really? Because a quick google search tells me the southeastern countries have received applications for asylum and immigration in numbers that are completely dwarfed by Germany alone. I'm not seeing brown shirts and jackboots there yet, but in Hungary (a main thoroughfare for refugees alongside Greece and Macedonia) Jobbik is doing better and better.

Also, http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34280460

I'm not saying most if not all of Europe will respond in a pretty bad way, but I still think that the first and worst reactions will come in "EU border" nations such as Turkey. Greece and Italy are at risk, as are the thoroughfare nations.

VVV A.k.a. "missing the forest for the trees"? Yeah, kinda.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 16, 2017

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Electric Owl posted:

I should clarify. I mean to say that the replacement of the current cereal crops with the zinc and iron deprived ones predicted under the new environmental paradigm will kill more people in the long run even if yield does increase, because of the inherent nutritional deficiencies. In other words, you get slightly more wheat sure, but that crop no longer satisfies people's nutritional needs and so, should the people not supplement that deficiency, it will lead to a fuckton more of life-years lost than if the crop had those iron and zinc levels in balance, regardless of yield.

And, as is unfortunately often the case, that makes the poor the most likely victims. I can't see capitalists sacrificing yield to keep the poor healthy.
Your premise relies on that the yield increase and associated caloric/protein/other grain nutrient increases is not great enough to offset the loss of life span due to nutritional deficiency of the other two nutrients.

Like yes, I see that it is a problem that wheat etc will be less nutritional, which might have significant secondary downstream effects as described above. However, mixing in a yield increase will shoot any nutritional argument in the foot as it implies an increase in other nutrients as essential or more essential than the nutrients that is decreased. For example, if people are starving, the need for calories is acute and they will die at a much greater rate than of net iron/zink deficiency. So unless you have any data supporting a net loss of life due to that nutritional deficiency vs life increase due to yield, then your argument make no sense. Then comes the completely different cans of worms with how easy/hard it would be to make and distribute the required substitute supplements to the peoples that would need them and how both of them affect population growth/sustainability over time.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Go look at Fig. 1.1, unless you're suicidal.

Oh, and Svalbard managed to (barely) top 0 degrees Celsius for the 2016 annual average temperature . Its previous highest average annual temperature was -1.8 degrees Celsius.

Just some reminders that the Arctic has thrown a rod:
https://twitter.com/kevpluck/status/817126011435446273

Oh, and Arctic sea ice growth has basically been stalled for the last 10 days, and now it's getting hit by a cyclone.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 17, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How fragile is the arctic ecosystem? Can it withstand fleets of fishing boats coming there once the ice is no longer a hindrance commercial vessels?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

No other marine ecosystem has managed to withstand unmanaged fishing. What do you think?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Hello Sailor posted:

No other marine ecosystem has managed to withstand unmanaged fishing. What do you think?

Seriously, where do you people even come up with these questions? Are you actual literal children?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
To be fair, I don't think most people realize just how badly we've hosed up marine ecosystems with commercial fishing.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

hey guys has anyone considered that we could emerge on the other end of global warming with as yet untapped fishing territories in the arctic?

not to mention the areas that will be newly flooded

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

dex_sda posted:

hey guys has anyone considered that we could emerge on the other end of global warming with as yet untapped fishing territories in the arctic?

not to mention the areas that will be newly flooded

Just think of all the new oil fields that will open up!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TildeATH posted:

Seriously, where do you people even come up with these questions? Are you actual literal children?

There's a non-trivial chance that people who are asking these questions may not be as up on the subject as you are. They might be younger than you, or they may simply be recently aware of environmental issues. Being a dick to them is counterproductive.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
i saw on Nova once that the size of the antarctic sheet of ice is directly proportional to the algae blooms that year, which feed the krill, which feed everything else. how screwed is everything without a base food source?

e: i'll take my answer as a one-word sarcastic response

Setset fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 17, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Like, d'oy :rolleye:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

One of my favorite Canada.txt images:

Note how even after the massive collapse in the 1970s the Canadian govt still managed to convince itself it understood the marine ecosystem and proceeded to push atlantic cod to the edge of extinction. Fisherman protested the moratorium despite having objectively destroyed the fishery for a generation, leading to this hilarious exchange with the federal fisheries minister:

The Wikipedia posted:

On July 1, 1992 Crosbie visited Bay Bulls, Newfoundland and Labrador to celebrate Canada Day. Crosbie was greeted by an angry throng of Newfoundlanders concerned about rumours of a proposed moratorium on the Atlantic northwest cod fishery. He famously yelled out "I didn't take the fish from the God damned waters."

This all happened under an ostensibly managed fishery, so I wouldn't put much hope in protecting newly open Artic waters.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Wanderer posted:

There's a non-trivial chance that people who are asking these questions may not be as up on the subject as you are. They might be younger than you, or they may simply be recently aware of environmental issues. Being a dick to them is counterproductive.

Yeah, at least in my experience people are really shockingly illiterate when it comes to environmental issues. It's really rare that I have a discussion about climate change with anyone who actually has an even basic understanding of the immediate and serious nature of the problem. I'm willing to bet the environmental impact of fishing is an even more obscure topic.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Most people I have lived with cannot even fathom the ramifications of not cleaning the bathroom regularly, let alone the deep mysteries of the global environment. :shrug:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TildeATH posted:

The US Supreme Court thread just had a five page derail on the wonderful triple point of constitutional law, personal initiative in refusing illegal orders, and Guantanamo Bay as if literally anything could have been done by enlisted guys in the face of what was by congressional and executive review legitimized.

The Trump (actual supporter GBS) threads are insistent that, no, this time around the rich republicans in office aren't going to gently caress us swiftly as possible.

The replies to the Death Spiral Guy on Twitter are largely about acc being conspiratorial globalism, why is it cold where I live right now? FYI I don't get what's happening in that polar vortex animation with the warm part displacing the vortex is over where I live right now. That picture looks a lot like what weathermen use, and they're wrong all the time, so you must be a weatherman too check and mate.

There's children everywhere, including this complaint post.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's all a bit depressing, yes.

(Arctic temps)

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I forgot something yesterday - remember that big loving crack in Antarctica?

Turns out, they found another one in an entirely different area - the Brunt Ice Shelf; this was found on Halloween, but there ain't much in the way of images..

There happens to be a thing called the Halley Research Station on the shelf. It was already being moved because of a large chasm, but this new crack is in a worse spot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 18, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Evil_Greven posted:

I forgot something yesterday - remember that big loving crack in Antarctica?

Turns out, they found another one in an entirely different area - the Brunt Ice Shelf; this was found on Halloween, but there ain't much in the way of images..

There happens to be a thing called the Halley Research Station on the shelf. It was already being moved because of a large chasm, but this new crack is in a worse spot:

Trump will solve this problem by cutting funding to climate research.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

syscall girl posted:

Trump will solve this problem by cutting funding to climate research.
This is literally what our previous conservative PM in Canada did. Fired all the scientists, muzzled them and then shut down any project that generated data.

Enjoy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

cowofwar posted:

This is literally what our previous conservative PM in Canada did. Fired all the scientists, muzzled them and then shut down any project that generated data.

Enjoy.

I remember an article earlier in the thread that talked about the damage that caused to ongoing research, and even after Trudeau assumed office, they only got a fraction of their original funding back.

Even if Trump is in office for a single term and the situation swings back to something sane in 4 years, defunding NASA Earth Science et al is going to set climate research back a decade or more.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Wanderer posted:

People should be shamed for being illiterate and ashamed of being illiterate, otherwise they won't learn. Don't go jumping to the defense of people who are willfully ignorant in the face of decades and libraries and obvious vistas of the what's going on.

Besides, being a dick is the only thing of value we can bring to this problem now.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Protect the MacDonald Ice Rumples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Save the Whale