Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

New trailer for Super Robot Wars V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0qXRy9rwSc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess they are going completely post-apocalypse this time. That would be a nice change of pace from Z's "the world is literally destroying and remaking itself constantly at random but most people are still living a normal life".

By the way, where is that Hathaway's Flash music from? It's in GGG too.

edit: holy poo poo Nadesico captain Yurika back?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 17, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
I love how they've done the Mazinger Brothers attacks in the teaser and trailers. Mazin Emperor G and Mazinger Zero are going to be amazing to play as.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm a little sad Emperor and Zero don't have their own themes, but I can deal because goddamn they look awesome.

Also, for the love of god, please let Penelope be playable or a secret unit or something. I need this, Banpresto, more than anything.

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way, where is that Hathaway's Flash music from? It's in GGG too.

Everything I find just either says CCA or G-Gen. A remix was used for Maxi boost too, apparently.

Edit: Also, I really like whatever song that is for Cross Ange. I'm surprised, I remember being disappointed by the OST, despite looking forward to it. But I don't remember that one at all.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 17, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

This is probably the best the mazingers have ever looked in a srw god drat

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So I pre-ordered my copy of V. Does it include some DLC or something? The trailer made it look that way. I guess i need to make a Hong Kong PSN if I want to get more DLC too, right?

Monaghan posted:

This is probably the best the mazingers have ever looked in a srw god drat

That was my takeaway from that video, jesus christ. They look incredible.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Holy poo poo those Mazingers. Amazing.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Today I'm going to be using the Great Booster as a Rocket Punch! I'm Kouji Kabuto and welcome to Jackass!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm glad the FA Unicorn got its Beam Javelin.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What's going on with the bgm preview at the end of the trailer?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

What's going on with the bgm preview at the end of the trailer?
The full premium sound edition is a pre-order version that lets you have the actual songs as BGM instead of just the instrumentals, so they're pimping that.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
That was a pretty great PV but like, no ZZ in there at all? maaaan

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's a tiny ZZ clip at the very end.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm confused about the chronology here. It's 110 years after CCA, but all the regular UCs are also in the game (through time travel, presumably), but also Unicorn, Crossbone, and Hathaway are current in the game's time frame?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

I'm confused about the chronology here. It's 110 years after CCA, but all the regular UCs are also in the game (through time travel, presumably), but also Unicorn, Crossbone, and Hathaway are current in the game's time frame?
They will make whatever changes are necessary to the animes' plotlines to make them work in this time frame.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
honestly with how Yamato is pretty much top billing in this game, and how Cross Ange is kind of right below it, it was pretty obvious in advance that in some way the world was kinda hosed. probs a spoiler for cross ange sorta but i kind of figure most of you don't care...actually, I wonder how they're handling that, fine i'll put it in spoiler tags

the place the dragons come from is basically supposed to be the real world, which got reamed so bad that people had to like evolve into dragons to survive, and the idyllic magic kingdom place is like a dimension layered on top of that by the main villain loving with spacetime. with the game's setup it sort of would make the most sense for the earlier half of the show to be compressed into a few maps early on, and the bulk of the game happens during the handful of episodes Ange hangs around the dragon world, sort of like how they did Megazone in D. probably for the best since the first half sorta drags on too long and the second half is much better, that specific arc of the show was IMO its strongest. maybe what they're doing with all the UC people hanging around from the past ties into that somehow? Embryo's the kind of guy Banpresto would have a field day with his plotting after all, I can't wait for him and Kaworu to be in a room together

the Might Gaine theme is sounding a little weak, but every other song seems pretty good so there's that. really really hoping for You Get To Burning like as hinted on that OST disc they're doing, Yurika being around gives me hope, and also hope that they're basically doing W's PoD

also did that combo between Daitarn and Zambot seem a bit weird to anyone else? it didn't look quite right but i couldn't pin down why, just sorta...stiff and oddly timed overall.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Gyra_Solune posted:

honestly with how Yamato is pretty much top billing in this game, and how Cross Ange is kind of right below it, it was pretty obvious in advance that in some way the world was kinda hosed. probs a spoiler for cross ange sorta but i kind of figure most of you don't care...actually, I wonder how they're handling that, fine i'll put it in spoiler tags

the place the dragons come from is basically supposed to be the real world, which got reamed so bad that people had to like evolve into dragons to survive, and the idyllic magic kingdom place is like a dimension layered on top of that by the main villain loving with spacetime. with the game's setup it sort of would make the most sense for the earlier half of the show to be compressed into a few maps early on, and the bulk of the game happens during the handful of episodes Ange hangs around the dragon world, sort of like how they did Megazone in D. probably for the best since the first half sorta drags on too long and the second half is much better, that specific arc of the show was IMO its strongest. maybe what they're doing with all the UC people hanging around from the past ties into that somehow? Embryo's the kind of guy Banpresto would have a field day with his plotting after all, I can't wait for him and Kaworu to be in a room together

the Might Gaine theme is sounding a little weak, but every other song seems pretty good so there's that. really really hoping for You Get To Burning like as hinted on that OST disc they're doing, Yurika being around gives me hope, and also hope that they're basically doing W's PoD

also did that combo between Daitarn and Zambot seem a bit weird to anyone else? it didn't look quite right but i couldn't pin down why, just sorta...stiff and oddly timed overall.

There's one part where Zambot and Daitarn are flying backwards towards the enemy because Banpresto couldn't be arsed to draw actual back sprites for the two.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Gyra_Solune posted:

I feel like it's the motion. I found it most noticeable when they're doing their weapon combo. Something about the animation direction seems really... punctuated, I guess, like there are short bursts of excessively smooth animation frosted over with camera jumps.

I'll feel less bad about it if it's mostly just Zambot and Daitarn.

The map sprites look gorgeous, though, especially since we haven't had any full body map sprites since... what, the PS2?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 17, 2017

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Caphi posted:

I feel like it's the motion. I found it most noticeable when they're doing their weapon combo. Something about the animation direction seems really... punctuated, I guess, like there are short bursts of excessively smooth animation frosted over with camera jumps.

The map sprites look gorgeous, though, especially since we haven't had any full body map sprites since... what, the PS2?

were MX's map things sprites or little 3D models? I'm pretty sure Z's were the latter, believe both Alphas were the former

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Z definitely used sprites in four directions. OG is the only one that has had map models.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

that iron cutter

jesus gently caress :stare:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Race Realists posted:

that iron cutter

jesus gently caress :stare:

first the photon beam, now the iron cutter

i can't wait for Mazinger Zero's ultimate weapon to be THAT WHICH TURNS ALL TO DUST AND BRINGS THE WRATH OF TIME AND ENTROPY UPON SOULS WHO WOULD THINK THEMSELVES IMMORTAL

REEEEEEITOOOO BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMU

(remember when mazinger had that in alpha gaiden, that ultra weak freezing beam you never used because every super robot in that game had weird weak attacks that were in literally every way inferior to a basic thing that cost no resources, Combattler had an entire drat page of em)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Gyra_Solune posted:

first the photon beam, now the iron cutter

i can't wait for Mazinger Zero's ultimate weapon to be THAT WHICH TURNS ALL TO DUST AND BRINGS THE WRATH OF TIME AND ENTROPY UPON SOULS WHO WOULD THINK THEMSELVES IMMORTAL

REEEEEEITOOOO BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMU

(remember when mazinger had that in alpha gaiden, that ultra weak freezing beam you never used because every super robot in that game had weird weak attacks that were in literally every way inferior to a basic thing that cost no resources, Combattler had an entire drat page of em)

Southern Cross Knife

the size of a galaxy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gyra_Solune posted:

Yurika being around gives me hope, and also hope that they're basically doing W's PoD
How did W do PoD?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Caphi posted:

We're getting another Alpha Gaiden, hopefully with someone other than Shu as the final boss.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm hoping that they work some parts of mazinger zero manga plot in game, because while the manga can be unnecessarily grim, I love it's ending so much. It would fit in SRW so goddamn well.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 17, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I kinda wish I stuck with watching Cross Ange after reading that spoiler block above. I punched out around episode seven though since it wasn't going anywhere at the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Raxivace posted:

How did W do PoD?

Gai is still alive, so basically you do the double Gekidan Flare with emo Akito and everyone's happy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I kinda wish I stuck with watching Cross Ange after reading that spoiler block above. I punched out around episode seven though since it wasn't going anywhere at the time.
cross ange really goes places in the back half, but there's a lot of weird sexual menace from the antagonist. they're actually kind of doing a thing with him (hilarious scene: him going 'the world will be ruled by strong women,' while he has two brainwashed women in maid outfits feed him grapes) but it's still way above Cross Ange's pay grade in terms of what it can handle tastefully, so be aware of that if you pick it back up.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Everything I've heard about Cross Ange seems way classier than anything I've seen of Cross Ange.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Everything I've heard about Cross Ange seems way classier than anything I've seen of Cross Ange.

It's got this weird thing going where a lot of the humor is actually legitimately really funny (an episode where Ange hatches an escape plan involving stealing a mascot costume and interrupts a couple making out by busting into their room and pointing a gun at them and one of the couple is freaking out and the other is just trying to figure out why they're being threatened by a cute mascot) and it actually hits on some kind of good plot and character beats, and then it throws it all away on some dumb fanservice moment or really weird running 'gag' about Tusk falling into sexy women's crotches, so it has to build it all back up again.

I don't even mind fanservice, I enjoyed Godannar perfectly fine, its just that it takes its fanservice in the weirdest directions instead of, you know, just focusing on the fact that the entire cast is hot women in skintight outfits.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Endorph posted:

cross ange really goes places in the back half, but there's a lot of weird sexual menace from the antagonist. they're actually kind of doing a thing with him (hilarious scene: him going 'the world will be ruled by strong women,' while he has two brainwashed women in maid outfits feed him grapes) but it's still way above Cross Ange's pay grade in terms of what it can handle tastefully, so be aware of that if you pick it back up.

Embryo was goony as hell and watching him contradict himself repeatedly was half the fun of the later parts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ryoga posted:

Embryo was goony as hell and watching him contradict himself repeatedly was half the fun of the later parts.

yeah embryo is legit a good villain and im excited to see him in srwv. plus the idea of him interacting with haman is amazing

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
From what I've seen of peoples thoughts on it, both here and other places, the main three problems seem to be: A poor first half, uncomfortable "fanservice", and Tusk. Did I miss anything?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'd say Akiko Shikata didn't bring her A game. Though that might not be a huge issue for most folks, I'm just a big fan.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Inferno-sama posted:

From what I've seen of peoples thoughts on it, both here and other places, the main three problems seem to be: A poor first half, uncomfortable "fanservice", and Tusk. Did I miss anything?

that's a good summary yes. tusk is literally useless because Hilda is a much better romantic interest

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Maybe someone really wanted a Mamoru Miyano/Nana Mizuki joint and tripped over a monkey's paw.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Now that I have watch the trailer I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned the best thing about it, full body cutscene portaits! The small face boxes were one of the biggest things I have hated about the games since Z2.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Inferno-sama posted:

There's also the really poorly done Uber Violence that is a consistent issue with Hirai shows(if not quite as horrid as SEED's was)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ryoga posted:

Now that I have watch the trailer I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned the best thing about it, full body cutscene portaits! The small face boxes were one of the biggest things I have hated about the games since Z2.

Also Souji and Chitose in the same cutscene. We knew they'd both be active in parallel paths and not alternatives, but I wonder how the crossover will actually work. Wasn't there a hint that the upgrade would be a two-seater, or something?

• Locked thread