Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Finally finished the game on week 122, and satisfyingly both Reynauld and Dismas made it out despite going blindly into the final quest. Death tally was not too bad: 4 to Vvulf invasions, 3 on the first attempt at DD1, 2 on the second attempt, and miraculously no one died that time I riposted on the opening turn of Swine King.

Re: stress relief -- the second mission has the least margin for error in my experience so if you only have one dedicated stress healer you may as well bring him there. The next one is very long but you can bring all the supplies and camp more times so Hellion Revel might work as an option, just clear the debuff with your herbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Highwang posted:

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/radiant-mode-dev-update/

Looks like Radiant mode and Crimson Court are going to be separate updates, but it also looks to add new threats to champion difficulty dungeons. Kinda needed imo, Champion stagnates fast unlike Veteran where you see more dynamic changes.

is it me or is the Bone Bearer prose even more purple than usual

im the hoarish energies

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

is it me or is the Bone Bearer prose even more purple than usual

im the hoarish energies

I'm the guy that set the text quality slider in the menu all the way to "fresh bruise"

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I was going to do the Hellion next, as they were next up in my roster list thingie I posted a few pages back AND they would be a relaxing, uncontroversial thing to go over... but I think I'll do them later. I'm not in the mood and it would be super short anyway. "Everythings good. Nothings bad. WAAAGH."

I do remember seeing a few posts asking how to go about using the below class. Since they are doing so well in my dark-run, I figured I'd go over the...

THE MAN-AT-ARMS
http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Man-at-Arms

Durability, utility, damage-mitigation. The Man-at-arms is the games only *true* tank. By this I mean that they are the only class able to actually redirect damage to themselves regardless of RNG (ie. instead of marking themselves), while simultaneously having the grit to eat the damage without flinching (as opposed to the Houndmaster). They can keep the party safe and control the enemy to win you the battle. This isn't to say that they lack direct offensive ability, just that they require more tactics then the straight up brute force Hellions bring to the table.

The Man-at-Arms has the third highest HP in the game while also packing great +protection skills, but strictly average damage, resistance and speed. Their greatest strength is in the smart application of their abilities. They also have a movement of 2 plus a staple combat skill that moves them forward. They are great vs. surprise attacks or placed into comps with intentional shuffling in mind.

It should be noted that Man-at-Arms are far from helpless in rank 2 and 3. Their are some odd-ball builds that advantage of almost any position. Still, your Man-at-Arms should usually be on the front line where they can put their defensive powers to greatest use.

COMBAT SKILLS: Crush / Rampart / Defender / Retribution
Above is the bread-and-butter offensive build for your consideration. It is great for being able to mitigate damage via stuns or direct defense while being able to also contribute offensively at the start of any given combat. Still, the Man-at-Arms skills are complex enough that this section is going to be a far bit larger than previous character guides.

Rampart is among the best single-target stuns in the entire game, up there with the Houndmaster's Blackjack. It is in the lower tiers of stun % chance, but the combo of Forward 1 AND a knockback 1 gives it a ton of tactical application. Knocking many melee enemies back forces them to use less powerful moves to stumble there way back forward, while vice-versa many casters lose their most dangerous skills when brought forward. On top of this, a very strong class-trinket is available to you that will boost the stun % to respectable levels. Rampart is a solid opener in many fights.

Crush is the simplest combat skill in your repertoire. It isn't very high damage without camping skills or trinket optimization, and its accuracy is slightly below average. However, it does have good projection out to rank 3, which is extremely helpful and lets the Man-at-Arms close out kills that would otherwise survive to the next round.

Defender is the most Man-at-Arms'y skill. In a typical combat, it should not have to see use. The applications vs. some bosses and to try to stop a character already on deaths door from dying are obvious. However, if you keep your wits about you, and have a solid understanding of what the enemies can do, you can make tactical calls to protect an ally sooner. For instance, one that would be one bad hit away from Death's Door. Groupers in The Cove, for instance, are predictable enough that you can try this out.

Like Defender, Retribution is another skill you use tactically rather than as a set go-to. If you pay attention to the damage range, you can opt to finish something off with this skill and get the benefits, rather than just Crushing. Ripostes are one of the best ways to stack on damage vs. certain enemies. Be wary though, as marking yourself can be very, very bad in certain circumstances.

For your other Skills, you may consider swapping out either Crush or Retribution for any of the below.

Bellow is a great move that puts an absolutely massive speed debuff on the enemies, pretty much guaranteeing you full initiative for the next three turns. Jester wishes he had this move. It's like a better Battle Ballad that can be used from more positions AND does like 2-3 damage to everything AND is attached to a much better class. The damage is especially cool. If your battles are anything like mine, pretty much 100% of enemies get left with 1HP because the Graverobber couldn't do their goddamn job. Finishers that also do something to the rest of the enemy team, or buff you, are great. Disclaimer before people pounce: Battle Ballad has more overall consistency, as enemies rolling vs. debuffs will really start to get really annoying in Champion and above and will end up requiring itemization to overcome without being as good overall as just stunning.

I'm going to lump the two man-yell-get-strong skills together, Bolster and Command. I've not gotten much use out of Command, ever. I am usually itemizing for accuracy and damage, and the crit chance isn't enough to seem worthwhile to use. Bolster seems overall better, as a team-wide +Dodge is pretty sweet, and the +Speed, while not offering the initiative as hard as a landed Bellow can, has some nice consistency. Both of the buff-shouts can be used from all ranks, which is also nice. Overall, buffing is not as good as killing faster from round 1, so these two skills should not be prioritized unless your doing something gimmicky (see: Guardian's Shield in Trinkets below).

CAMPING SKILLS: Maintain Equipment / Tactics / Instruction / Weapons Practice
Another character class who's unique camping skills overwhelm the need to use any of the core ones. They aren't all that great, but are decent picks if nothing else jumps out, given they improve team-wide efficiency.

Maintain Equipment is the one you should drop if you want another Encourage or Wound Care in the party. A time cost of 4 is kind of expensive, and if you want the +protection that bad it's probably because you are going in to a boss fight where you are just going to be blocking the entire time so the +damage is wasted.

Tactics is good if the Man-at-Arms is baby-sitting a team of squishes. Not a staple, but good.

Instruction is an amazing choice to drop on a healer. +Speed is always good and will save lives.

Weapons Practice is your best camping skill. A powerful offense is truly the best defense, and giving you the edge to OHKO / 2HKO more consistently from round 1 is ideal. The bonus is pretty high for the time spent, so it should be prioritized a lot of the time.

TRINKETS: Rampart Shield and Sun Ring
Like the Houndmaster, the Man-at-Arms has enough versatility that trinket choices can help you optimize in one direction or another. This set up lets you land your strong stun more consistently, with +chance and +accuracy. The +damage is helpful when you want to clean up with Crush instead. You can swap out the Rampart Shield for the Stun Amulet if you want, but most of the time I go with the former.

Alternatively, you can also make use of many of the games utility items, as once +stun chance has been taken care of most of your needs are met. Try out the Survival Guide or Caution Cloak. Though the benefits are hard to feel in the midst of a given battle, +scouting is a great boost to mission success.

For the class specific items, the eyepatches are mostly filler for before you've got enough trinkets to have better options. The Longevity Eyepatch is cool since you come with a pretty sizeable HP pool as is, and don't value speed as highly as healers or primary damage dealers. Still, the speed hit hurts when you want to outspeed something to stun. Cleansing Eyepatch is okay but not as good as many non-class specific resistance improving trinkets. Sly Eyepatch is total garbage.

The Debuff Amulet becomes mandatory if you want to get any mileage out of Bellow late game, which kind of sucks :(

+Resistance trinkets like Cleansing Crystal or Fortifying Garlic are great for you, given you are on the front lines eating Brawler/Pelagic Guardian swipes. It would suck to be protecting someone else only to get critted, dotted and die. Or you can go for brute survivability with a Recovery Charm or a Tough Ring.

Like almost every character, all the +accuracy or +damage trinkets are good choices. The Ethereal Cross combines a lot of the best parts of the resistance boosting items, and is particularly amazing in The Cove.

I have been trying to keep my rundown of the Trinkets away from the super-rare items, but the Ancestor's Signet Ring is really strong on the Man-at-Arms and deserves special mention.

I saved the Guardian Shield for last, since it is a super gimmicky item. It's really, really bad but also kind of cool and representative of the types of trinkets I'd like to see more of. It is a completely change in how you approach the class. Still, using this item basically dooms your party. You are effectively running a 3 man comp with a higher HP pool that can get slightly stronger the longer a battle lasts. Since long battles are the exact opposite of what you are looking to have happen, you're pretty much on borrowed time for things to go horribly wrong for you and are guaranteed to eat a lot of stress. Strictly only use this item if you are goofing off.

COMPOSITIONS
vs. Swine Royalty: ARBALEST / OCCULTIST / BOUNTY HUNTER / MAN-AT-ARMS
vs. Prophet: ARBALEST / OCCULTIST / MAN-AT-ARMS / HELLION

While either of the above parties will work pretty well any time, and is 3/4 of the way to a 'marking team', they will absolutely *destroy* both the mentioned bosses if you follow some simple tactics. Like, they won't even prove a challenge. Even the stuns both bosses love to toss out, which can put damper on planning, ends up not really being too bad because of the amount of built-in redundancies the comp has.

Man-at-Arms ends up being the star player. Both bosses telegraph where they are going to be attacking, and you simply have to keep spamming Defender. Your protection keeps stacking, and you can absorb the big hits without demanding heals. Both bosses will occasionally target two spots, but the below classes have your covered there.

Occultist helps out by providing heals if needed, and can drop Weakening Curse over and over again. The massive -damage when combined with your mounting +protection will just make the bosses damage output laughable.

The Arbalest is especially good vs. the Swine Royalty, as Rallying Flare is your built-in fail-safe. Clear those marks away and the bosses is left flailing weakly. Tossing it out will also clear those stuns both bosses like to hand out, too. The rest of the time you can focus on damage. They are also the fail-safe on the Occultist, who will heal for 0, eight times in a row. The Arbalest also has the hardiness to eat a big hit or two without immediately collapsing.

With the above three, the bosses big hits are either being mitgated via a fat HP pool and protection, damage debuffing, loss of mark, or all three.

The Bounty Hunter / Hellion are there to kill the boss, simple as that. Iron Swan or Collect Bounty, with the benefit of boosted unique camping skills.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 17, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Some feedback requested. I'm in week 24 of NG+ and I'm starting to think what teams I'm going to send into the Dungeon eventually. Currently my roster consists of one each of the 15 classes + 1 extra vestal, occultist, bounty hunter, leper and hellion. They're ranging from resolve 1 to resolve 4 so there's work to be done, but I still want to plan ahead a little. Also there is no way in a 1000 years I'm taking the antiquarian on a Darkest Dungeon run.

I'm thinking of these team compositions:

pre:
plague doctor	vestal		leper		highwayman
vestal		bounty hunter	crusader	leper
graverobber	occultist	abomination	hellion
arbalest	occultist	houndmaster	bounty hunter
Which leaves me with a jester, man-at-arms and a hellion as leftovers. So I'm thinking the fifth (backup) team would be those + a vestal.

Thoughts?

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

double nine posted:

Some feedback requested. I'm in week 24 of NG+ and I'm starting to think what teams I'm going to send into the Dungeon eventually. Currently my roster consists of one each of the 15 classes + 1 extra vestal, occultist, bounty hunter, leper and hellion. They're ranging from resolve 1 to resolve 4 so there's work to be done, but I still want to plan ahead a little. Also there is no way in a 1000 years I'm taking the antiquarian on a Darkest Dungeon run.

I'm thinking of these team compositions:

pre:
plague doctor	vestal		leper		highwayman
vestal		bounty hunter	crusader	leper
graverobber	occultist	abomination	hellion
arbalest	occultist	houndmaster	bounty hunter
Which leaves me with a jester, man-at-arms and a hellion as leftovers. So I'm thinking the fifth (backup) team would be those + a vestal.

Thoughts?

You do not want a leper for DD1. He is useless in half the positions so bad shuffles will end you.
You need a MAA for DD2 for his guard. HM can also guard but the MAA's riposte is extremely useful for the bosses.
DD3 doesn't matter too much as long as you have at least 2 heros that can hit position 4 so you are fine here.
It's pretty hard to gently caress up a team comp for DD4 so this one is also fine.

My suggestions:
DD1: Swap the leper for the helion, move the vestal to the back and replace the plague doctor with the jester. DD1 hits you with the most stress so the jester really helps. Before the boss swap the jester's abilitys to his damaging abilities so he function in any position.
DD2: Swap the leper for the MAA. I'd also replace the crusader or bounty hunter with a hound master because an extra guard is useful if the MAA gets stunned. The HM also gets +DMG against beasts which are plentiful in DD2.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Standard bearer skeleton looking hella Latin. Was expecting to see SPQR on that flag.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
PD is a really strong pick every time but especially DD3. You can stun and dot both the cyst and the cell, and clear the huge dots it lays down.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I can never get Retribution, or Riposte for that matter, to work unless I use them at the same time. Is there some kind of method to decide who the opponents will target?

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Tias posted:

I can never get Retribution, or Riposte for that matter, to work unless I use them at the same time. Is there some kind of method to decide who the opponents will target?

Just knowing there movesets and planning accordingly. Brawlers are super common and have a tendency for going for for marked.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Makaris posted:

Just knowing there movesets and planning accordingly. Brawlers are super common and have a tendency for going for for marked.

Brawlers can target both front rows, and tend to studiously avoid the one I've put Retri/Riposte on :confused:

Sure they go for marked, but I'd like to able to use it one opponents that aren't going to hit like a freight train, too.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Yeah it's not perfect. Retribution is situational.

Try it Vs things that you know are going to lay down AOE. human enemies get eaten alive. And it's a lot of free damage Vs the size 2 guys.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Makaris posted:

COMPOSITIONS
vs. Swine Royalty: ARBALEST / OCCULTIST / BOUNTY HUNTER / MAN-AT-ARMS
vs. Prophet: ARBALEST / OCCULTIST / MAN-AT-ARMS / HELLION

I really appreciate these posts. I've never beaten the game, not that it's ever put me in a "give up" situation, but I usually just burn out or get distracted halfway through. These strategy posts are motivating me to gear up for a real attempt at it. A lot of your strategies are the same conclusions I've come to on my own.

If you ever have the time, I'd love to see a post of just your ideal compositions for each boss. Could be as simple as something in the format above, wouldn't even need explanations.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Haven't played since right before the Antiquarian was released, killed all bosses and got stuck/disheartened after trying and failing DD2 blind. Started to get the itch again, kind of looked like the game might have gotten slightly easier with the town events and being able to exchange heirlooms.

In this playthrough I am literally scraping the bottom of the barrel for gold at absolutely all times... In my first play through I remember having a pretty good gold pile, seemed pretty easy to stay within 20-40k even while upgrading things. I never do short runs, always bring keys but it seems like I only come out a few thousand ahead each run. I mean I know I could just grind some low level stuff but I just don't remember struggling this much for gold last time. I watch streamers do no torch runs all the time on twitch and it almost looks easier with all the loot that drops.

Week 38 and Vvulf comes, gently caress that bullshit. The few level 5's I have only have rank 3/4 weapons and armor because I can't afford to level them up, on top of that my highest Man at Arms is level 3. I have no choice but to sacrifice a low level character. 10 weeks later and it hasn't showed up again, but still don't have the right party or money to do the fight. Is it actually possible to beat Vvulf that early? I feel like I would have needed to be planning for it from the beginning.

So far my only death is to the Vvulf sacrifice. Had some really lovely luck towards the beginning with the caravan, took like 10 weeks before I got a second Vestal. Took like 15 weeks before I got a Houndmaster.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
^^^ Sounds like your cursed mate. Are you spending a lot of money on stress treatment between runs? If you're using the right items on curios and fully exploring each dungeon you should be walking away with *at least* 8-10k plus the victory bonus even in short missions. +20k or higher isn't unusual for mediums.

Where is your money tending to go? Thread might be able to help.

Vvulf that early just sucks, though. You can win but it will be a real struggle and might not be worth the risk if you have the roster space to sacrifice level 0's. It's about as hard as DD1 with no recovery battles.

In regards to the bosses battles, I'll absolutely post about them with some comp ideas but might be a bit before I hit them all.

The Flesh is probably the hardest boss in all incarnations. It's not that there aren't tactics you can use to exploit the boss. There are! It's just that even if you go in doing everything right it never stops being a pure damage race. Its damage output is just too high and too spread out for any really safe strategies to manifest. Just go in hard and fast and hope for the best.

What you want are AOE Dots and a high enough HP pool or decent recovery so you can survive while killing it ASAP. Sadly the two characters who are the best at this, the PD and Hound, are pretty squishy. I feel the Occultist is too risky to bring as his heal will frustrate you and he has low HP.

PD > VESTAL > HOUND > ???

PD and Hound are your core. They do the damage as fast as possible to burst the boss down. Bring +dot chance items because you DO NOT want to be whiffing.

Vestal is there because obviously.

If you can, equip blight resist in rank 3-4 and bleed resist in ranks 1-2. Boss has massive critical chance and high dots on all attacks except for the stun. Someone's gonna be on deaths door while your healer is stunned and if you can avoid the DOT it will be huge.

Your frontliner is the flex pick. The Eldritch Cross, if you have it, will be amazing on them to do more damage and shrug off the huge bleeds. It's one of the beat trinkets in the game, honestly.

A 2nd Hound actually works pretty good but leaves your front line very low on HP so getting bit twice is going to mean deaths door plus a possible bleed.

Hellion can strike the Heart no matter where it is, contributes more bleed and can cure dot. They are low Hp too, though.

Man at arms and Crusader both have high HP, which helps immensely. The MAA has better damage projection and reposte which will be very strong. Crusader can provide emergencies heals and helps out a lot in the rest of the dungeon, though this is less the case in Champion.

Leper is a big fat maybe. There is a good chance he'll be left swinging at 50% protection pig heads. And note his insanely bad bleed resist. Not recommend.

Highwayman has good damage output and bleeds, bit only to rank 2 and low HP. Also not recommended.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 18, 2017

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

For the flesh i went Vestal / Hound / Hound / Hound.

I wont say it wasnt a close fight, but by stacking up +bleed trinkets, having each one pop a biscuit and spamming Hounds Harry I was able to stack bleed to atleast 9 on each section, with the most being around 24 per tick.

Throw blackjack on your front two, lick wounds and Hounds rush and its not a terrible fight to the boss.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

OxySnake posted:

For the flesh i went Vestal / Hound / Hound / Hound.

I wont say it wasnt a close fight, but by stacking up +bleed trinkets, having each one pop a biscuit and spamming Hounds Harry I was able to stack bleed to atleast 9 on each section, with the most being around 24 per tick.

Throw blackjack on your front two, lick wounds and Hounds rush and its not a terrible fight to the boss.

Haha yeah I though of recommending that but I didn't want to assume everyone ran around with tons of leveled dogmans. You know, like they should.

Also the PD cures potentially deadly dots, out speeding someone before it ticks. And is arguably better in the battles before / after the boss cause of Huge Stun.

Kinda testament to how goddamned good the Hound is that a comp like that even works at all, let alone working great.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I heard the plague doctor used to be really underpowered. What was different about her before she was buffed?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

I heard the plague doctor used to be really underpowered. What was different about her before she was buffed?

numerous things

1) her blight DoTs used to be much weaker; their magnitude has been at least doubled, possibly even tripled, i can't quite remember
2) emboldening vapors used to not buff speed
3) she used to have less dodge
4) battlefield medicine used to be a chance to cure until level 4, now it's a guaranteed cure

there's probably other things i'm forgetting

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Coolguye posted:

The Blasphemous Vial trinket ramps up the Plague Doctor's ACC, stun, and blight chance to the point that her abilities pretty much just work whenever you use them. That wasn't in the game until a little before the game's release.

Disorienting Blast was originally a useless random shuffle, with nothing else to it. Now it stuns, shuffles, and clears corpses. It's a great skill, especially if you're using a front-liner that can only hit the first two rows (Crusader/Leper).

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Makaris posted:

Hellion can strike the Heart no matter where it is, contributes more bleed and can cure dot. They are low Hp too, though.

Hellion/PD also make a great pairing to completely lock down the Flesh with stuns while the hound is stacking bleeds. It's a slower strategy but probably went the most smoothly of anything I've tried.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I usually just ignore stuns and go right for AOE damage with the Flesh. Occultist-PD-Hound-Hellion. Occ heals and does that back-two AOE, PD blights back two, Hound bleeds and Hellion hits where-ever the heart is. It goes down pretty quick with so much damage piled up.

I've almost finished the game for the first time. DD1 and DD2 are done. I *still* haven't beaten Vvulf. I'm finding that fight very hard.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Makaris posted:

^^^ Sounds like your cursed mate. Are you spending a lot of money on stress treatment between runs? If you're using the right items on curios and fully exploring each dungeon you should be walking away with *at least* 8-10k plus the victory bonus even in short missions. +20k or higher isn't unusual for mediums.

Where is your money tending to go? Thread might be able to help.

Vvulf that early just sucks, though. You can win but it will be a real struggle and might not be worth the risk if you have the roster space to sacrifice level 0's. It's about as hard as DD1 with no recovery battles.

I follow the Darkest Companion suggestions for items to bring so I'm usually prepared for curios. I spent money in town for stress reduction maybe 4-5 times total in 40 weeks, I'm usually pretty good about that. Maybe I'm overspending on provisions for each mission, spending 5-6k on supplies and coming out with 7-8k in gold was pretty average. I don't buy trinkets, only buy camp skills if a party doesn't have a protect from ambush, only remove negative quirks if necessary and never lock in positive quirks.

I'm at week 65 now with two maxed out parties and the gold is finally starting to come in, averaging around 15-30k now per run now usually. Maybe it was just bad luck with secret rooms. I've just been sacrificing lowbies to Vvulf, going to try to get the Dismas and Reynauld achievement and win within 99 weeks before trying.

God drat this game is so good.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

I follow the Darkest Companion suggestions for items to bring so I'm usually prepared for curios. I spent money in town for stress reduction maybe 4-5 times total in 40 weeks, I'm usually pretty good about that. Maybe I'm overspending on provisions for each mission, spending 5-6k on supplies and coming out with 7-8k in gold was pretty average. I don't buy trinkets, only buy camp skills if a party doesn't have a protect from ambush, only remove negative quirks if necessary and never lock in positive quirks.

I'm at week 65 now with two maxed out parties and the gold is finally starting to come in, averaging around 15-30k now per run now usually. Maybe it was just bad luck with secret rooms. I've just been sacrificing lowbies to Vvulf, going to try to get the Dismas and Reynauld achievement and win within 99 weeks before trying.

God drat this game is so good.

Yeah from the looks of it sounds like you landed on your feet. Try using +scouting skills because I think secret rooms only show up if you get a double scout and the chance goes up on larger dungeons.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Coolguye posted:

numerous things

1) her blight DoTs used to be much weaker; their magnitude has been at least doubled, possibly even tripled, i can't quite remember
2) emboldening vapors used to not buff speed
3) she used to have less dodge
4) battlefield medicine used to be a chance to cure until level 4, now it's a guaranteed cure

Wasn't a big factor just the introduction of corpses? Prior to that it seemed optimal to just burn down the front line, effectively shuffling the back line forward. PD's niche wasn't that useful in that environment.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
corpses helped, but there was definitely a period between the introduction of corpses and the PD buffs where she still sucked

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
corpses were a fundamental reordering of the game and basically anyone who wasn't a front-line bruiser was helped by their introduction. the plague doctor specifically took about 4 iterations to actually be a worthwhile addition.

like it's hard to express exactly how BAD she was for a good long while in EA. the clown is noted as dead weight nowadays but even in that situation at least his stress heal works 100% of the time. the PD's cure couldn't even claim that. battlefield medicine started out at like a 70% chance to cure.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
The Pounder is my favorite boss fight. It's basically the first round of every battle, with the same goals (kill fast before the enemy has a chance to hurt you). The stakes are ramped up, but played right it's easily surmountable.

GRAVE ROBBER > VESTAL > HOUNDMASTER or BOUNTY HUNTER > HELLION

Yup it's this comp again. What can I say, it's probably be the strongest comp in the game. Since this boss fight is just a regular battle writ large, it's just natural that it works.

The Houndmaster is probably better for the rest of the entire mission (for stress relief), but the Bounty Hunter is a bit stronger specifically vs. the boss and especially at lower levels. Make sure to equip for accuracy and damage (like always), but focus on bonuses vs. Humans.

The goal of this party is too kill 100% of the human opponents every turn and slowly grind down the Pounder when it is safe to do so. Done right, you can practically treat this boss as an opportunity to *recover*. That's how strong this strategy is. Expect the battle to be long, but also fun and rewarding.

It should be obvious, but always, ALWAYS go after the matchman first. Do nothing else with your characters until he is dead. Don't bother with stuns, he's too squishy to waste time with that. The Pounder should never be given the chance to attack. Only once the the matchman is killed, should you turn your attention else where. Stun or kill the Cutthroat, then the Fusilier, then the finally go for the Pounder. The entire party (cept' the Vestal obviously) has excellent speed, damage and projection, so they can clean house before the enemies (save the Fusilier, who is countered by the Vestal) even get a hit in.

The Grave Robber will lead most rounds with their high speed. Just throw daggers all day. The matchman's high dodge might cause her to whiff an opening shot, but her mounting passive +ACC will quickly offset this, and her high damage ensures clean 1, sometimes 2 hit KO's. You should take Flashing Daggers in the event that she ends up not going first and another character didn't themselves delete the matchman. This'll allow her to finish them off while still contributing some extra damage, usually to the Pounder. Take Hound's Harry for the same reason.

Hellion needs to pick her combat skills focusing on projection - Wicked Hack / If It Bleeds / Iron Swan / flex pick (usually Adrenaline Rush).

Vestal just does whatever seems right at the time. Contribute damage / stuns or heal when needed.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 20, 2017

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Very similar setup, I use Arbelest-Vestal-BH-Hellion, but I ignore the humans and focus solely on matchstick and the cannon. Hellion frequently goes first- if she doesn't kill the matchstick (which she almost always does) you still have the backup of the Arbelest after that. With the Arb and BH you can keep the cannon marked and hit it up once the match is dead. Vestal pretty much just heals which allows you to ignore the other humans.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I think your way is probably faster, but I can't stand leaving those cutthroats standing. If they crit on those double swings and bleed it's a lot of pain. I get the feeling they have a really high crit rate bit I can't check it right now. They can be pretty reliably exploded before they can act too.

If you wipe the humans it becomes just matter of killing the matchman plus occasionally another mook.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
3 cove runs.
3 dead vestals
3 encounters with 4x fishmen.
1 turn full hp to deathblow.

2 hallways and 1 room: 2 food checks back to back.

This game fuckign hates me.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is it just me or does the Cove have a lower rate of coral spawns than it used to? And the Warrens a lower rate of scrolls? I used to count on one or two coral per medium run (back around release) and recently I often don't even get one. On long missions I'm happy if i get one and extra happy for two.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Arcturas posted:

Is it just me or does the Cove have a lower rate of coral spawns than it used to? And the Warrens a lower rate of scrolls? I used to count on one or two coral per medium run (back around release) and recently I often don't even get one. On long missions I'm happy if i get one and extra happy for two.

On my most recent playthrough I've seen so many coral that I started passing them up because I didn't need them anymore. Only saw two scrolls total though and I was running the Warrens a lot with long dungeons getting the ancestor stuff.

I think I'm ready to try the darkest dungeons again, got 21 characters on my roster maxed out. I've got like 14 weeks to spare that I guess I could use trying to get better trinkets but ehh. I'm still traumatized by my first attempt months ago :stonk:. Definitely not going in blind this time, going to research and figure out parties and strategies beforehand.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I finally have a full slate of 6's and most of the ancestor trinkets. I'm sure I am missing a few that are Shambler only (is that still a thing?), and I need a crescendo box but am not sure how to grind one, but I should probably try the Darkest Dungeon levels now. So if you figure em out, let me know!

P.S. PD/Occ/BH/MAA is a hilarious cove party. If you run GR or HM or ARB instead of the PD it goes great in other dungeons too.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I just finished the first level of the Darkest Dungeon and I was hoping that I could get strategies for dealing with the other floors. It's not to difficult to find party compositions, but a lot of people don't explain them very well, or they give wildly differing strategies.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, I finally have a full slate of 6's and most of the ancestor trinkets. I'm sure I am missing a few that are Shambler only (is that still a thing?), and I need a crescendo box but am not sure how to grind one, but I should probably try the Darkest Dungeon levels now. So if you figure em out, let me know!

I'm to the point where Long Champion missions no longer offer ancestor trinkets and I still don't have the ancestor trinket achievement, so yea there is definitely at least one that is Shambler only, maybe more. Actually I just looked it up and there are 5 ancestor trinkets unique to the Shambler. I watched someone streaming on twitch last night get the Crescendo Box :stare:. I got the Overture Box from a Madman, +15%HP/+8 Dodge/-2 Accuracy. I never use it though, the minus accuracy scares me too much.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I had an Overture Box at one point, but some sort of save game glitch between two computers (or maybe a death on a run where I fled but didn't notice it) deleted it. I wish there were a more reliable way to get some of those RNG/enemy-dependent trinkets.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Overture box is easily the worst of the bunch. Not bad but easily trumped by other options.

My last NG+ game I got all three of the mad man trinkets by week like 50? I don't know what the odds of that were but pretty drat low I'd wager. I play in the dark a lot so that might help with the drop rate?

DD2 is really, really hard. Man at arms is pretty much obligatory to protect your odd man out who doesn't have the torch trinket. Outside that it's a damage race Vs the three boss encounters so bring your best damage dealer.

There are several encounters scattered about that are good opportunities to recover. Malignant Growths + Rapturous Cultist is a combo you can usually exploit to get a full HP and stress heal.

Lots of comps will work but you could try running: PD > VESTAL > CRUSADER > MAN-AT-ARMS.

You're going to be behind on damage but you'll make up for it a bit by having strong recovery, HP pool and having tons of stuns. Leave the Crusader without the torch and equip his class trinkets for stun and and stress/virtue. He's fat enough that if your MAA gets stunned it won't be the end of the world, and he hits hard.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

These are no way best comps/strategy, just felt like going over what I did in the first two DD's so far. Vvulf kind of screwed me over coming so early so I didn't have a full lineup since I had to keep 4x people to potentially sacrifice, so when I started the DD's I had 21 level 6 characters.

DD1: Vestal/Highwayman/Bounty Hunter/Hellion

Vestal had +healing trinkets, Highwayman had +25% Eldritch damage and a Cleansing Crystal, Bounty Hunter had +20%dmg and a stun trinket and the Hellion had Ancestor's Pen and +25% Eldritch damage. Not really anything too exciting with positive quirks except the Hellion and Vestal both had move resist. I briefly thought about taking a Plague Doctor instead of the Highwayman, but only had 3x Plague Doctors and wanted to use them for later DD's.

How it went: Brutal, but completed without losing anyone. The stress dealers literally targeted the same two people throughout the dungeon, even after camping I walked into the final battle with two characters at 100+ stress and two with zero stress. It did cause some issues, almost lost the Bounty Hunter because he refused a bandage and was on deaths door, fortunately my Vestal acted before him and he took the heal. I forgot to swap Iron Swan for Breakthrough on my Hellion and the first shuffle put my Hellion in rank 4 and my Vestal in rank 1... literally the absolute worst case scenario.

DD2: Arbalest/Vestal/Houndmaster/Man at Arms

For trinkets, Houndmaster and Man at Arms got stun trinkets along with a torch, Vestal got a healing trinket with a torch and the Arbalest had +25% Eldritch damage and +15 accuracy. I can't remember how hard the things can hit the person without a torch but figured maybe the Arbalest could tank one hit with 55 life, also has the potential to move the Impaler to help reduce their blight attack. Brought Houndmaster along for a backup guard, a stun and to switch to stress healing when needed... as long as I remember to swap the skills. My Man at Arms and Arbalest both have Eldritch slayer quirks as well.

How it went: This is the dungeon that wrecked my will to continue playing last time. I also only have one Man at Arms so... Start the mission and realize I had some random mission in the Cove selected :negative:. Risking losing my Eldritch quirks since I didn't have them locked in, also ran into a Collector who almost killed my only Man at Arms. Got out with no stress and my quirks intact.

The very first fight, two Priests and the blob thing all target my Vestal bringing her to 1 health... fortunately I was able to recover. The first two Templar fights they both immediately targeted my Arbalest who doesn't have the torch trinket, fortunately it was only 22 damage. Other than that it all went pretty smoothly. The biggest difference from now and my last attempt was learning how to stall and when it's possible. With the Man at Arms camp buff and the Arbalest camp buff she was hitting like a Mack loving truck and critting every other shot.

Now that Man at Arms is done with DD, bring it on Vvulf I'm waiting :black101:

The next two parts seem like the easiest, but I need a break after that.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

White Coke posted:

I just finished the first level of the Darkest Dungeon and I was hoping that I could get strategies for dealing with the other floors. It's not to difficult to find party compositions, but a lot of people don't explain them very well, or they give wildly differing strategies.

I followed this guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=612579203. It has maps, build recommendations, and general strategies for each of the DD missions.