Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bruce-springsteen-cover-band-drops-out-of-inauguration/

A prominent Bruce Springsteen cover band, The B-Street Band, will not be performing at an Inauguration event this week following widespread criticism.

The group was set to perform Thursday at the Garden State Presidential Inaugural Gala on the eve of Donald Trump’s swearing in as president, but after a weekend in the media spotlight, its members decided to change course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The real reason why pandas find it so hard to breed in the wild; all the peeping panda perverts are totally offputting :o:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Jippa posted:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bruce-springsteen-cover-band-drops-out-of-inauguration/

A prominent Bruce Springsteen cover band, The B-Street Band, will not be performing at an Inauguration event this week following widespread criticism.

The group was set to perform Thursday at the Garden State Presidential Inaugural Gala on the eve of Donald Trump’s swearing in as president, but after a weekend in the media spotlight, its members decided to change course.

So a guy who made "closing deals" part of his brand... couldn't close a deal? With a loving lovely cover band?

:lol:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think they probably got a call from Bruce's people telling them that they'd regret it if any of his music ended up being played at Trumps inauguration. A band like that only makes money because Bruce allows them to.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I think they probably got a call from Bruce's people telling them that they'd regret it if any of his music ended up being played at Trumps inauguration. A band like that only makes money because Bruce allows them to.

What? Anyone can play in a cover band. They don't need permission. You just need mechanical rights if you record a cover with the intent to distribute it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lord funk posted:

What? Anyone can play in a cover band. They don't need permission. You just need mechanical rights if you record a cover with the intent to distribute it.

Technically you have to pay royalties on songs you cover.

Now, they're not going to go after bar bands, because that would cost more than it's worth unless they're trying to make some kind of example. In this case, the band said that they would back out if asked.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

https://gifsound.com/?gif=forgifs.com/gallery/d/276862-2/Balloon-fish-scares-mom.gif&v=ZvCI-gNK_y4&s=35

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

Bruce can control how difficult he wants it to be to make a good living as an E Street Band cover group. I'm not talking about playing little clubs for $500, this band is playing major high profile events.

Deadly Mongoose
May 27, 2006

Please give me terrible avatar that is awesome
Uh

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Technically you have to pay royalties on songs you cover.

Now, they're not going to go after bar bands, because that would cost more than it's worth unless they're trying to make some kind of example. In this case, the band said that they would back out if asked.

The venue pays royalties, not the band.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

The venue pays royalties, not the band.

I stand corrected. I didn't know that, I thought that in some theoretical scenario where a cover band was making a significant enough amount of money(enough to motivate the artist to come after it), the artist would technically be able to go after them for royalties.

In this case I was thinking more politically, like if this cover band pissed Bruce off by playing the inauguration, he might make a point of going after them just for spite.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

I stand corrected. I didn't know that, I thought that in some theoretical scenario where a cover band was making a significant enough amount of money(enough to motivate the artist to come after it), the artist would technically be able to go after them for royalties.

In this case I was thinking more politically, like if this cover band pissed Bruce off by playing the inauguration, he might make a point of going after them just for spite.

Probably not. He wouldn't have any legal footing. I wouldn't be surprised if he paid them their fee and said please stay home though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of not having any footing, back to guys trying to do stunts in their backyard pool.

"Righto doubters!"
https://www.facebook.com/649304341891964/videos/740077279481336/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Basebf555 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply a case of them being great fans of Bruce and simply respecting his views.

Is anybody going to play at this inauguration? It seems like it is heading towards an empty stage.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

spog posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply a case of them being great fans of Bruce and simply respecting his views.

That's exactly what it is. They've said before that they have great respect for Springsteen and wouldn't do anything that would go against his wishes.

It really sucks for the band. They didn't sign on to play for Trump, they signed a contract back in 2013 to play for the inauguration (they played the previous two Obama ones as well) and because it ended up being this shitstain they got thrown into the middle of it. They're actually breaking their contract and said they'll accept the financial ramifications of it just to not have to deal with the controversy anymore.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FCKGW posted:

They're actually breaking their contract and said they'll accept the financial ramifications of it just to not have to deal with the controversy anymore.

They'll no doubt be receiving a bunch of death threats and poo poo online as well right now, there really was no winning option for those poor fuckers.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They'll no doubt be receiving a bunch of death threats and poo poo online as well right now, there really was no winning option for those poor fuckers.

Horrible as it may sonnd, I really think they should've played anyway. I mean, one important part of modern liberalism is tolerating different opinions even if you don't agree with them, while modern conservatism has mutated into "DEATH TO THE HERETIC!". Sure, they might have lost fans if they played for Drumpf, but who knows, now they might lose their lives.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Horrible as it may sonnd, I really think they should've played anyway. I mean, one important part of modern liberalism is tolerating different opinions even if you don't agree with them, while modern conservatism has mutated into "DEATH TO THE HERETIC!". Sure, they might have lost fans if they played for Drumpf, but who knows, now they might lose their lives.

It seems like a no win situation, honestly: death threats if they do or don't, plus if they do the mockery might drive away even more fans, and....yeah, I can see why they would duck it. Eventually their role in this will be forgotten and perhaps for the best.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Sometimes doing the right thing or taking a moral stance on something comes with some sort of sacrifice or loss. In fact, often it's only a meaningful if that's the case.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Powaqoatse posted:

He's at 0:09 in the youtube I posted. Breaks my heart.

Ah drat! I wish the art sentence was true. Kid's just gonna miss his mom :(

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Powaqoatse posted:

"you hit me! :mad:"

Btw, here's a compilation of newspeople fuckin up through 2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chkiHt_i7co

I'm the owl at 1:32

I love that the lady who does the splits mutters "that a hot tamale! "

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

CommissarMega posted:

Should've done it but just played songs from "Nebraska" or that Pete Seeger cover album.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

CommissarMega posted:

Show up, play badly enough to shame the event, and finish with a Dead Kennedys cover. Something short, so you can get right to the point before they pull the plug on you. Any embarrassment you might endure for playing that badly will be repaid tenfold by the 54-60% of the country that dislikes Donald Trump.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Railing Kill posted:

Show up, play badly enough to shame the event, and finish with a Dead Kennedys cover. Something short, so you can get right to the point before they pull the plug on you. Any embarrassment you might endure for playing that badly will be repaid tenfold by the 54-60% of the country that dislikes Donald Trump.

This would have been the thing to do. Rebecca Ferguson wanted to do Strange Fruit for PEOTUS. That would have been great as well.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I can imagine a rendition of the heartbreaking song "The River" being played as Trump strides across the stage.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Spoken word performance of every stupid tweet wearing a Donald Trump mask accompanied by a sarcastic banjo rendition of American Pie while a bunch of red lingerie clad backup dancers wearing big furry hats spray him with squirt guns.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

spog posted:

Is anybody going to play at this inauguration? It seems like it is heading towards an empty stage.

I think they have a fifth place America's Got Talent person. And I wouldn't be surprised if the protests have some decent music. :v:

At this point I am fully expecting some form of on stage anti-Trump protest on the part of a performer. Probably something minor like a statement of opposition right after that sing or ripping up a picture, though subtle mocking through song choice will be fun and likely go over people's heads.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

hanales posted:

Probably not. He wouldn't have any legal footing. I wouldn't be surprised if he paid them their fee and said please stay home though.

He could also tell his fans, "Hey, don't see these guys, they are loving dicks"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

a sarcastic banjo rendition of American Pie

I so want this to exist

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They already had to bail out because of death threats.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Random Stranger posted:

I think they have a fifth place America's Got Talent person. And I wouldn't be surprised if the protests have some decent music. :v:

At this point I am fully expecting some form of on stage anti-Trump protest on the part of a performer. Probably something minor like a statement of opposition right after that sing or ripping up a picture, though subtle mocking through song choice will be fun and likely go over people's heads.

Maybe a Muslim kazoo band will happen

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

CommissarMega posted:

one important part of modern liberalism is tolerating different opinions even if you don't agree with them

white_moderate.txt

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Baronjutter posted:

Sometimes doing the right thing or taking a moral stance on something comes with some sort of sacrifice or loss. In fact, often it's only a meaningful if that's the case.

Normally I'd agree but entertainers should really stay away from political drama if they can, at least if they value their careers. Remember the dixie chicks? As a musician this would be a really dumb hill to choose to die on. Unfortunately in this case these dudes got thrust into drama like it or not.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nathilus posted:

Normally I'd agree but entertainers should really stay away from political drama if they can, at least if they value their careers.

We elected a reality tv star president.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

We elected a reality tv star president.

And an actor not that long ago

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
a serial rapist somewhere inbetween

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
Is there much point in a sarcastic version of any song when US politicians fairly regularly use Born in the USA and Keep on Rocking in the Free World?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

FAROOQ posted:

a serial rapist somewhere inbetween

No no, Romney lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

FiftyFour posted:

Is there much point in a sarcastic version of any song when US politicians fairly regularly use Born in the USA and Keep on Rocking in the Free World?

My favorite was Wrangler jeans using most of the first verse of Fortunate Son and cutting off just before 'it ain't me.'