Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Harrow posted:

It says "straight to the goal" which could just mean "stick to only doing the things that get you to the final boss," with the stuff you'd miss being the side quests and dungeons that reveal the rest of the story. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there are multiple ways to read that, specifically because I don't want people to be disappointed and feel lied to if it does turn out you can't waltz right into the final dungeon immediately.

They've talked about it multiple times, and it's literally you can go straight to the end while by-passing everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It doesn't really matter if the Any% speedrun route skips most of the game; if some speedrunners feel dissatisfied that too much is getting left out, they'll invent other categories that cover more of the game. The 100% category will probably be insanely long.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mulva posted:

They've talked about it multiple times, and it's literally you can go straight to the end while by-passing everything else.

I'm assuming that in theory the game mechanics allow for a skilled enough player to beat Ganon with 3 hearts and whatever detritus they pick up along the way so long as they are perfectly dodging everything that comes their way everything single time for the slog it takes to whittle down his health. Frame perfect dodging/parrying look like they'd be pretty hard to land every time but it'd be worth it if the final boss can be beat by reflecting laser beams at him with a pot lid.

Supercar Gautier posted:

It doesn't really matter if the Any% speedrun route skips most of the game; if some speedrunners feel dissatisfied that too much is getting left out, they'll invent other categories that cover more of the game. The 100% category will probably be insanely long.

It'd be like 100% Skyrim, who the hell wants to do that, how do you even define it, etc. more to the point at the 30-40 hour mark its not really a speedrun. It's probably be things like no food runs, no extra heart runs, no armor runs, no shrines other then required upgrades, clear each main dungeon etc. The Zelda speedrun community is pretty nuts and I'd expect several categories of "official" speedruns to get defined within the first 2-3 months

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 17, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Harrow posted:

It says "straight to the goal" which could just mean "stick to only doing the things that get you to the final boss," with the stuff you'd miss being the side quests and dungeons that reveal the rest of the story. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there are multiple ways to read that, specifically because I don't want people to be disappointed and feel lied to if it does turn out you can't waltz right into the final dungeon immediately.

Please reread the quote, especially this part:

quote:

When asked, Aonuma confirmed that a player could go directly to the final boss of the game from its opening moments if they wanted.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

My only hope is that speedrunning BotW is as entertaining to watch as OoT3D.

Edit: Seriously if you got 2 hours check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSx2_L4Uug

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 17, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's the only speedrun I watched from AGDQ and it was pretty interesting and awesome. He really goes into detail about how various parts of the game work.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The developers even pulled influence from the old cartoon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MokBa posted:

The developers even pulled influence from the old cartoon.

Wait has this been confirmed to work?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

There could be nuance getting lost in translation there tho

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait has this been confirmed to work?

No, but I'm sure some clever players will somehow devise a way to do something similar.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MokBa posted:

No, but I'm sure some clever players will somehow devise a way to do something similar.

Some sort of thing with bombs + the seesaw magnet maneuver should be interesting. I wonder how many collective hours will be spent just loving around

Lord knows I'll have to go on media blackout for months to avoid spoilers as I make my way through the game. Even hour 1 spoilers are bad because I might go a different way and not see the same thing for a longass time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I'm expecting if you go to the end game immediately you will get your poo poo wrecked pretty hard.

I can't remember, in ALttP could you go right to Ganon once you got in the Dark World but you couldn't beat him?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Dave posted:

Yeah I'm expecting if you go to the end game immediately you will get your poo poo wrecked pretty hard.

I can't remember, in ALttP could you go right to Ganon once you got in the Dark World but you couldn't beat him?

You'd need the dungeon items but without the silver arrows he was unbeatable.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Just got an email from Amazon stating that the Special edition date moved from the 13th to the 3rd.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Just got an email from Amazon stating that the Special edition date moved from the 13th to the 3rd.

Hells yeah, now I can cancel my normal zelda order.

Edit: You're welcome whoever gets the one I just canceled.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 17, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I don't know why anyone trusted those dates to begin with. Amazon is notorious for inserting made up placeholder dates. They still have 1-2 Switch launching on Dec 29.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Verily, as did I.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The Dave posted:

Sadly, you needed to beat the boss of Ganon's Tower before Ganon was available, and you needed the crystals of all the Dark World dungeons to unlock Ganon's Tower.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Ah, missed that line. Sorry bout that!

I wonder if you can actually beat the final boss right from the start, or if you can just go there and get owned. I guess maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Master Sword was in some way required to win. Or maybe you can half-beat him and get a special ending.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

You'd need the dungeon items but without the silver arrows he was unbeatable.

Not true. He's vulnerable to attack the moment he teleports. He can be killed without silver arrows. You can see it in the AGDQ race they did last week.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Harrow posted:

Ah, missed that line. Sorry bout that!

I wonder if you can actually beat the final boss right from the start, or if you can just go there and get owned. I guess maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Master Sword was in some way required to win. Or maybe you can half-beat him and get a special ending.

The Master sword is required to defeat Ganon in Ocarina of Time, so I would assume you need it to beat him this time as well. No point building up the master sword if Link doesn't need to go find it and kill Ganon with it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

The Master sword is required to defeat Ganon in Ocarina of Time, so I would assume you need it to beat him this time as well. No point building up the master sword if Link doesn't need to go find it and kill Ganon with it.

Isn't the fastest way to beat him with Deku Sticks?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apparently this says that the WiiU version requires a 3GB install.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/products.html

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nephzinho posted:

I believe you need the Master Sword to deliver the final blow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

The first round can be done with any item. I think the final blow has to be the master sword.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

spit on my clit posted:

in an effort to please all the players, nintendo has made Dragon Ball Z canon to the zelda universe by having link and zelda fuse via the potara earrings. Their name is Linda.

What a charming lady.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Electric Phantasm posted:

My only hope is that speedrunning BotW is as entertaining to watch as OoT3D.

Edit: Seriously if you got 2 hours check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSx2_L4Uug

Pro click at 55:15 (56:30 on youtube) where Navi hovers around Sheik's crotch and swoons over "that legendary blade".

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Has there been any more word on the rumours that the Wii U and/or European version of the game won't come out on March 3rd? I'd hate to get excited for that release date only to learn I get to wait another month or three.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

a cartoon duck posted:

Has there been any more word on the rumours that the Wii U and/or European version of the game won't come out on March 3rd? I'd hate to get excited for that release date only to learn I get to wait another month or three.

Nintendo US and UK both reconfirmed a March 3 release on Wii U. Maybe they'll patch in the additional languages later or something but as far as I know the full version will be out all over Europe.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've been going on a Zelda 1 spree because my Breath of the Wild hype levels are off the charts after that trailer. First I just beat the game, then I beat it in under an hour (barely) and now I'm up to level 5 of a swordless run which is really hard.

After this run I'm going to start a Zelda marathon and play through an entire timeline starting with SS and going down the defeated hero timeline. I think BotW will fit into that branch and it has all of my favorite Zeldas anyway. Probably going to do a challenge run for every game too since I'll be continuing the 6 heart hero mode run of SS that I started last year. The last official timeline came out with Skyward Sword, but is there a consensus on where Link Between Worlds fits in? It's after LttP of course but when exactly.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Evil Eagle posted:

I've been going on a Zelda 1 spree because my Breath of the Wild hype levels are off the charts after that trailer. First I just beat the game, then I beat it in under an hour (barely) and now I'm up to level 5 of a swordless run which is really hard.

After this run I'm going to start a Zelda marathon and play through an entire timeline starting with SS and going down the defeated hero timeline. I think BotW will fit into that branch and it has all of my favorite Zeldas anyway. Probably going to do a challenge run for every game too since I'll be continuing the 6 heart hero mode run of SS that I started last year. The last official timeline came out with Skyward Sword, but is there a consensus on where Link Between Worlds fits in? It's after LttP of course but when exactly.

I believe LBW is 100 years after LTTP.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Guess it would be after Oracles then.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Evil Eagle posted:

Guess it would be after Oracles then.

I looked it up, according to Wikipedia it's between Link's Awakening and LOZ. The Zelda wiki says the same thing.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oh right, Oracles are before LA. I always get that backwards.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh right, Oracles are before LA. I always get that backwards.

Are they?
*checks*
Huh, they are. Kinda an arbitrary distinction, based on the in-game lore they just vaguely take place around the same time don't they? I always thought it was cool that the Gameboy games are the same Link from ALTTP just traveling around the world and getting involved in various different adventures.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The intro to the Oracle games has Link teleporting to Labyrnna/Holodrum by touching the Triforce and he gets on a boat at the end of those two games. I guess that's the reasoning.

I do wonder what happened to that Link after Koholint Island disappeared.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He died

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He was socially outcast, everywhere he went people called him THIEF

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

He had the flippers dude.

Adbot