Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Darkrenown posted:

If you strip out his political views and the rape,

:lol:

ToxicFrog posted:

(Zerg spoilers in case anyone cares about spoilers from a 20 year old RTS: the Zerg were created by a Vanished Precursor Race as part of their ongoing project to create the perfect lifeform. They ended up with an aggressive, parasitic hivemind that can both infect and control any chordate, and absorb the genetic code of any species it encounters to use as the basis of new creatures the hivemind creates. The first thing they did was control and absorb the precursors that created them. Unlike the Posleen, they're completely non-technological.)

You just spoiled the manual for a 20 year old game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I'm reading Pandora's Star right now and as bad as the writing can be, the editor really stands out as doing a bad job.

I hope it gets better

The book drags the gently caress on until the Alamo Avenger's show up and then it pretty much hits the gas and doesn't stop.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The Posleen are the lizard people invaders from the 1983 tv series "V"
Only this time the humans fought back & won thanks to the magic of "GUNS & BIGGER GUNS".

I had a different take on that. A hymn before battle and it's immediate sequels always struck me as a rewrite of Alan Dean Fosters' The Damned series with the serial numbers filed off for originality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Damned_Trilogy

I remember reading the first two books of The Damned and finding it sort of...petered out? But it had the same hallmark bits of generally Pacifist alien species using warlike Humans to defend themselves from a rising threat.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Deptfordx posted:

I still can hardly believe post 2010 Weber actually managed to wrap a story up, however imperfectly, and finish a series.

Given that the last page of the book says "Merlin will return!" that seems optimistic to me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jew it to it! posted:

I had a different take on that. A hymn before battle and it's immediate sequels always struck me as a rewrite of Alan Dean Fosters' The Damned series with the serial numbers filed off for originality.

I remember reading the first two books of The Damned and finding it sort of...petered out? But it had the same hallmark bits of generally Pacifist alien species using warlike Humans to defend themselves from a rising threat.

It's always funny for me to remember that Alan Dean Foster actually writes his own original stuff also.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jew it to it! posted:

This was also done by Tanya Huff in the valor series.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

jng2058 posted:

Given that the last page of the book says "Merlin will return!" that seems optimistic to me.

Well I mean the idea is for the humans to return to the stars and defeat the Gbaba aliens who almost genocided them, so there's more to come if Weber doesn't change his mind - but the current arc is wrapped up.

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't remember any "omg we're hugely outnumbered" battles like in March Upcountry, but it has been quite a while since I read it.

It's pretty bad:

A Hymn before Battle posted:

"Well?" The general gestured with his chin at the papers. "What do you think? I want to get a feel for your impressions before we meet the rest of the team."
"Off the top of my head?" asked Mike, examining the schematic of some type of vehicle.
"Yes."
"We're hosed." The former NCO slapped the notebook closed and met the general's humorless smile with a somber gaze. He looked slightly more upset than normal, which the general knew from past experience could mean nothing or everything.
"Would you care to be more specific?" Horner asked, smiling tightly and steepling his fingers.
Mike shifted sideways in his seat, the better to meet the general's eye, and tapped the briefing papers for emphasis. "According to this, we can expect five invasion waves spaced about six months apart with additional scattered landings before, during and after the main waves. The first full wave will arrive in about five years. Each wave will consist of between fifty and seventy large colonial combat globes, each of those comprised of about five or six hundred combat landing craft. Each of these landing craft will have the Posleen equivalent of a division of troops, although we are calling it a brigade. Am I right? Five or six hundred divisions?"
"Correct. Very short, maybe pocket, divisions. I prefer the brigade designation." Horner had opened his own briefing papers and was checking the numbers.
"But each globe will have approximately four million troops of all types. Correct?" Mike pursued.
"Correct."
"That means each wave will drop two hundred and forty million heavily armed alien soldiers." The accusation was quiet but fierce.
"Right."
"Five times. Each drop, apropos of nothing whatsoever, exceeds the last estimate I had of total personnel under arms worldwide. And each of the Posleen is an actual fighter, not the one in ten ratio in modern armies."

Looking this up kind of made me want to re-read them, but I don't think I can bear to go though all the loving Bun-bun references in book 4 again.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 10, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jew it to it! posted:

Well, gently caress. At first I was sceptical because I've read tons of Alan Dean Foster's books and his style seems to be to different from Ringo, but wow. Ringo even copied the mind-controlling squid aliens for his series. At least now I know where he got the inspiration for that. :shepface:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Libluini posted:

Ringo even copied the mind-controlling squid aliens for his series.

How so?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Uh by openly having mind-controlling squid aliens in one of the later books?

Did you honestly not know? I mean I can understand, I kind of mentally checked out near the end of the Aldenata-series, too.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 10, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Oh yeah. I honestly forgot about the new Eye of the Storm aliens. It's been like 7 years since they were briefly introduced and then there were no more books.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

Oh yeah. I honestly forgot about the new Eye of the Storm aliens. It's been like 7 years since they were briefly introduced and then there were no more books.

It's because zombies made more money. Also the Troy Rising series was fun also The Looking Glass if only to have a character anime to destroy aliens.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks to whoever recommended the Retief books! I'm having a blast.

(Reh-teef? Reh-tee-eff?)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bolow posted:

The book drags the gently caress on until the Alamo Avenger's show up and then it pretty much hits the gas and doesn't stop.

I closed the book on page 305 or so after a chapter of dialogue that was so poorly written I couldn't take it any longer.

I should have the new Expanse book in from the library soon, the writing for that series is Shakespeare compared to Pandora

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Is Alastair Reynolds still planning to release The Prefect sequel this year?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended the Retief books! I'm having a blast.

(Reh-teef? Reh-tee-eff?)

You're welcome.
Check out the Dominic Flandry series next.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 11, 2017

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Professor Shark posted:

I should have the new Expanse book in from the library soon, the writing for that series is Shakespeare compared to Pandora

Glad to see poo poo like this. I really enjoyed the first book, despite its flaws. There's no way I'll get to book two until later this year. I hope I got something to look forward to throughout time.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

apophenium posted:

Glad to see poo poo like this. I really enjoyed the first book, despite its flaws. There's no way I'll get to book two until later this year. I hope I got something to look forward to throughout time.

Is the Expanse book series any good and how faithful is the show to the books? I went and watched the Show because I was happy Sci-Fi was actually making a loving (Space) Sci-Fi show again and it was pretty good. Not Stargate or Battlestar level good, but better than some of their more recent productions.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

Is the Expanse book series any good and how faithful is the show to the books? I went and watched the Show because I was happy Sci-Fi was actually making a loving (Space) Sci-Fi show again and it was pretty good. Not Stargate or Battlestar level good, but better than some of their more recent productions.

Pretty close but they've added in some characters that you only start seeing in book 2 (which is a good thing!). Really looking forward to Season 2 in Feb.

Edit: Season 1 is basically 75% of the first book. It looks like Season 2 should wrap that up and start on the beginning of book 2.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 12, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

They've shuffled around some plot points, changed some of the characterization and motivations of some of the principles, but it's "true" to the book. The books authors (Corey is a pseudonym for two authors) are writers for the show and have come out and stated that the show is how the story should have been told in hindsight.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

flosofl posted:

They've shuffled around some plot points, changed some of the characterization and motivations of some of the principles, but it's "true" to the book. The books authors (Corey is a pseudonym for two authors) are writers for the show and have come out and stated that the show is how the story should have been told in hindsight.
Well, when you get the second go-around on an already-written thing it's easy to "fix" it in light of how the rest of it turned out.

Like, that character who turned out to be super important, you give her more lines. The thing you thought was going to be the key to the entire series but got dropped partway through book two, you can downplay it a bit.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

flosofl posted:

Corey is a pseudonym for two authors

Or The Jimmy Boys, according to the fat fucker's blog.

Hopefully they don't stretch the TV show out, there is plenty of material for them to work from, almost too much for most TV shows.

Book 3 will take up most of a season. Book 4, 3-4 episodes. Books 5 and 6 one season. So Book 3 to book 6 will be 2 and half seasons? That takes us to 4 and half

The last trilogy would have 1.5 to 2.5 seasons to finish the show in 7.

Or am I reading that wrong? Scrunch book 3 and 4 into one 13 episode season? With books 5 and 6 in one season as well, so 6 season total. If Syfy want to and the audience figures keep up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral posted:

Or The Jimmy Boys, according to the fat fucker's blog.

Hopefully they don't stretch the TV show out, there is plenty of material for them to work from, almost too much for most TV shows.

Book 3 will take up most of a season. Book 4, 3-4 episodes. Books 5 and 6 one season. So Book 3 to book 6 will be 2 and half seasons? That takes us to 4 and half

The last trilogy would have 1.5 to 2.5 seasons to finish the show in 7.

Or am I reading that wrong? Scrunch book 3 and 4 into one 13 episode season? With books 5 and 6 in one season as well, so 6 season total. If Syfy want to and the audience figures keep up.

If 4 just faded away from their plans, I'd be OK with it.

They also have more books planned and they are good at keeping to a release schedule of one every year or so. They also have the character background novellas to mine as well. There will be plenty of material to use for some time I'd guess.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So I'm reading the Expanse books.

Can someone yes or no spoiler something for me? - I'm on Cibola Bun

The planet just exploded. Do we EVER meet any actual sentient aliens?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Captain Monkey posted:

So I'm reading the Expanse books.

Can someone yes or no spoiler something for me? - I'm on Cibola Bun

The planet just exploded. Do we EVER meet any actual sentient aliens?

Not yet if ever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

Not yet if ever.

you could make the argument the proto-molecule gestalt is one

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Well, when you get the second go-around on an already-written thing it's easy to "fix" it in light of how the rest of it turned out.

Like, that character who turned out to be super important, you give her more lines. The thing you thought was going to be the key to the entire series but got dropped partway through book two, you can downplay it a bit.

It's not really like that but more about small details that affect the characterization. For example (this is spoilers about the first two episodes in the TV show or the first few chapters of Leviathan Wakes): In the book, Holden isn't the one who radios about finding the Scopuli. It's just company policy to report derelicts and go check on them and the captain of the Canterbury follows it to the letter. So Holden doesn't lie about it and the crew of the Rocinante just starts off trusting one another.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gohmak posted:

Not yet if ever.

After reading the series, arguably, we already met a lot of them, maybe one even as character (yes the proto-molecule gestalt)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Bolow posted:

Yeah, the early part of the book is just setup, setup, setup and some of that setup just doesn't go anywhere (see most of the characters named in the first political get together; it's not the best introduction for them because they get lost in the muddle). Other setup doesn't show up until the next book just so there's some sort of familiar ground for the POV to shift to.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Given all the talk about Ringo and friends, if you're looking for something similar that can at least avoid the worst of military sci-fi (see rape and lovely politics shoved down your throat):

Poor Man's Fight by Elliot Kay (https://www.goodreads.com/series/133798-poor-man-s-fight)
Omega Force by Joshua Dalzelle (https://www.goodreads.com/series/113707-omega-force)
Undying Mercenaries by B.V. Larson (https://www.goodreads.com/series/119203-undying-mercenaries)
Atlas series by Isaac Hooke (https://www.goodreads.com/series/159675-atlas)

Probably a few more I could dig up in my purchases for the past couple years, but those are what I can think of off-hand. Probably already been mentioned before but I'm catching up in the thread and thought I'd throw this out there as alternatives if you're looking for no frills military sci-fi.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Worlds Aflame by Weltenbrand, a goon author was recommended in here recently and has been decent mil sci-fi. I liked it, reminded me a lot of Red Storm Rising (in good ways )

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Some of the worst scifi micfic has been way to entertaining for me for all the wrong reasons and had me laughing way to hard.
Example
Tom Krattman's A State of Disobedience
It's Time to Remember the
Alamo All Over Again!

In the long war against terrorism, the US Government had taken on extraordinary powers. And now that the war was won, powerful forces in the government had no intention of relinquishing those powers. As in 1860, the country was on the verge of civil war. And as in 1860, a leader arose to save the country—but it was not the President this time. Instead, the Governor of Texas was the woman of destiny. And, though the Federal Government had more guns and troops, David was about to give Goliath a run for his money. . . .

Read the book then the Amazon comments and laugh way to hard.
Book is loving bullshit insane.

I think the problem is me I am the reason ringo and other awful peoples books sell because it is my guilty popcorn fiction to make my brain melt and laugh at the insanity.

Fallorn fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 16, 2017

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like the "About the Author" paragraph on the Amazon page:

quote:

In 1974, at age seventeen, Tom Kratman became a political refugee and defector from the PRM (People's Republic of Massachusetts) by virtue of joining the Regular Army. He stayed a Regular Army infantryman most of his adult life, returning to Massachusetts as an unofficial dissident while attending Boston College after his first hitch. Back in the Army, he managed to do just about everything there was to do, at one time or another. After the Gulf War, and with the bottom dropping completely out of the anti-communism market, Tom decided to become a lawyer. (Big mistake, way big. Chilluns don't do it.) Every now and again, when the frustrations of legal life and having to deal with other lawyers got to be too much, Tom would rejoin the Army (or a somewhat similar group, say) for fun and frolic in other climes. His family, muttering darkly, still puts up with this. Tom is currently an attorney practicing in southwest Virginia. A State of Disobedience is his first novel.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
It is crazy all the way down. Specially when in one of his books you can see how the main character is how he envisions himself and he kills space islam because they space 9/11 towers with his space latino wife and children inside then get a new space latino bride.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Reminder that Tom Kratman believes that the right answer to an alien invasion of people-eating monsters is to revive literal SS-war criminals because they are "motivated to fight" unlike those pinko liberals these days who would just roll over.

That Works posted:

Worlds Aflame by Weltenbrand, a goon author was recommended in here recently and has been decent mil sci-fi. I liked it, reminded me a lot of Red Storm Rising (in good ways )

not to be too nitpicky, but Weltenbrand is not the author, its the title (worlds aflame is the subtitle and is the literal translation of the Cool German Name). And yes, Red Storm Rising was what I was going for. Glad you liked it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

ArchangeI posted:

Reminder that Tom Kratman believes that the right answer to an alien invasion of people-eating monsters is to revive literal SS-war criminals because they are "motivated to fight" unlike those pinko liberals these days who would just roll over.

not to be too nitpicky, but Weltenbrand is not the author, its the title (worlds aflame is the subtitle and is the literal translation of the Cool German Name). And yes, Red Storm Rising was what I was going for. Glad you liked it.

No one understands tank warfare anymore but the Nazies! let's find them all and give them super rejuvenation treatments so they can take over the war and win it for us!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ArchangeI posted:

Argh yeah, I didn't have it in front of me at the time and confused the Title and author name there. Sorry about that! I just started on the follow up book.

I quite liked it and thanks for the recommendation here. I hope you keep writing!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

That is the only book I can remember that I recycled rather than donating to the library. It's not that I knew I was never going to read it again, it's that after one reading, I knew that nobody should ever read it.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Washout posted:

No one understands tank warfare anymore but the Nazies! let's find them all and give them super rejuvenation treatments so they can take over the war and win it for us!
Am I mis-remembering, or is that also the one where Israel/Jewish people as a whole's response to this is like 'Wow, thanks for fighting the good fight, Nazis! You're not so bad after all! Three cheers for the good ol' Waffen SS!'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Apraxin posted:

Am I mis-remembering, or is that also the one where Israel/Jewish people as a whole's response to this is like 'Wow, thanks for fighting the good fight, Nazis! You're not so bad after all! Three cheers for the good ol' Waffen SS!'?

It is... Worse. By the end of the novel there are whole international units because the SS are just such great fighters. Including a Jewish brigade.

But don't worry, all these units are separated. We would not want them in the same unit. That ist verboten.

• Locked thread