Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Rime posted:

I have my doubts the rest of the building is actually sold either, because there's a lot of listings still up on MLS for it. Paul Bosa himself is involved now, and they're making GBS threads bricks over here on tiny deficiencies, so things must be pretty grim.

Are those listed as assignments? If so, they're some dickhead who bought the units during pre-sale and are now reselling them (probably with a decent markup). If not, then lol, because I guarantee that building was plastered with "over 90% sold" signs on day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

China just announced it ain't doing coal anymore, cancelling 85 planned coal power plants. Another blow to Canada's/Vancouver's economy. This is off the coast of Delta, basically just for China:

Largest coal terminal in North America. And there's another one in North Van.

Hexigrammus posted:

I was in that area about ten years ago taking delivery of a piece of industrial equipment. It's gotten worse. :stare: Thank Christ my sister in law got her family out of there.

Yeah that area is definitely not getting better. Newton's reputation is going down the toilet too.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

cowofwar posted:

What was the name of that real estate analyst who CI retweeted in this thread all the time?

Luke Kawa.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

China just announced it ain't doing coal anymore, cancelling 85 planned coal power plants. Another blow to Canada's/Vancouver's economy. This is off the coast of Delta, basically just for China:

Yeah that area is definitely not getting better. Newton's reputation is going down the toilet too.

Australia exports garbage thermal coal to Asia, Canada exports metallurgical coal. Closing coal plants in China will have a big effect on Australia and its real estate markets in the boonies.

Out domestic consumption of coal has been decreasing for a decade. Export is about $5 billion of GDP.

http://www.coal.ca/main-markets/

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah, until we stop building things with steel we're going to be mining and shipping coal out of BC.

Good luck with that happening, really.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

How can Newton's reputation worsen?

Peugeot206
Apr 9, 2002
Vroom vroom
The following article on Whalley was written over ten years ago...

What's been happening in Whalley since?

Condo-mania transforms Whalley into 'urban village'
Attractive prices see entire 346-unit development sold out in seven hours

Gillian Shaw
Vancouver Sun

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

It was late at night when marketing manager Dan Thomson left a condominium development that was to go on the market the following morning, and he made a bet with a colleague that the first buyers would be lined up before he returned.

By 5 a.m. the lineup had already formed, and in seven hours the entire project -- 346 condominiums worth a total of $79 million -- was sold out.

That would come as no surprise if the address was at the gates of the University of B.C. or trendy Yaletown or waterfront Coal Harbour, but the project is in Surrey, where Infinity at Central City is helping to transform Whalley into what it calls "urban village living."

With Tower One sold out, Infinity at Central City is now gearing up for the launch this month of Tower Two, which promises to be a repeat of the buying frenzy that marked the project's first sale.

Already 1,150 people who arrived too late to get dibs on the first tower, expected to be completed in a little over two years, have pre-registered for the second sale. And another 700 signed up on the project's website after the first tower sold out.

It's a striking illustration of a trend sweeping out from downtown Vancouver, as condo-mania shifts to the suburbs.

The difference in bottom line between a city condo and one farther out can be as much as hundreds of thousands of dollars.

"Vancouver, geographically, is limited by its land area, and the easiest way to not have to live in Chilliwack is to create vertical living," said Thomson, MAC Real Estate Solutions' project manager for Infinity, which is the creation of Jung Developments, a division of the South Korean-based Jung Group.

"Ten years ago, vertical living was not a positive for a lot of people," he continued. "Now, high-rise living is well received."

While suburban status used to be found in a humongous house and a lawn and garden that could fill up much of a homeowner's time, today's suburban chic is as likely to be a view condo with a Starbucks and a SkyTrain stop on the doorstep.

"People want an active lifestyle, and having a big home with big property that needs to be maintained doesn't fit with that," said Thomson. "This is carefree living -- you lock your door and go away. It's simple.

"You want to enjoy a yard, but don't have the time to take care of it, it's taken care of. You want a fitness area at your home, it's taken care of."

Bill Morrison, a partner in MAC with Jason Craik & Cameron McNeill, said he was surprised at the sales frenzy at Infinity, a response that once would have been reserved for city core developments.

"None of us would have believed there would be that dramatic a response," he said. "There is a pent-up demand in the suburbs, especially for concrete product that is affordable.

"Go four or five stops on a SkyTrain [toward downtown] and you will spend $50,000 to $60,000 more for the same product.

"It seems Vancouver is the core, and every time the price goes up a dollar per square foot in the core, it works its way right out to the suburbs."

The Lower Mainland is experiencing a trend long seen in other centres linked by rapid transit, where each stop outward from the city centre can carry a price reduction for the real estate around it.

On the same day that MAC launched Infinity, it also opened another project, Park 360 at Edmonds in Burnaby. Half of that project's 200 units sold, with the overall price points well over those in the Surrey project.

"It was four SkyTrain stops away, and the difference in price for a one bedroom was $70,000," said Craik.

One-bedroom condos in the Infinity towers start at $139,900, or about an average of $300 per square foot. Contrast that to downtown Vancouver, where the company is doing some smaller loft projects as high as $600 a square foot, and a development on Homer in the $530-per-square-foot range.

Buyers were split between investors taking advantage of the increased equity higher home prices have brought them to buy more real estate, and first time buyers.

"Our investors and our buyers came from everywhere," said Craik. "I didn't think people would come across the bridge to buy, but they did.

"There were a lot of people from Vancouver, from West Vancouver, White Rock, Langley.

"Some doctors came out and bought because Surrey Memorial hospital is just a stone's throw away and it would give them a place to stay if they didn't want to drive home."

TO INFINITY, AND BEYOND:

Buzz Lightyear's rallying cry from the 'Toy Story' movies could apply to Jung Developments' Infinity at Central City, the Surrey condo megaproject that can't seem to build units fast enough for its market.

7 hours: Time it took for Phase One of Infinity at Central City to sell out all 346 units.

$79 million: Value of sold Phase One units.

1,150: Number of potential buyers pre-registered for Phase Two, to go on sale this month.

$300: Per-square-foot cost of one-bedroom condos in the Infinity towers.

$600: Per-square-foot cost of some of Jung Developments' smaller downtown Vancouver lofts.

Source: Jung Developments

Ran with fact box "To Infinity, and Beyond", which has beenappended to the end of the story.

The Vancouver Sun 2005

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Lexicon posted:

How can Newton's reputation worsen?

You spelled Shootin' wrong

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Surrey towers have never sold well, that's why their 10 year vision of a skyline to match Vancouver's has been in the works for 30 years now. Like why would anyone who can afford a penthouse in Surrey choose that over a better area? Even if it means a slightly smaller penthouse in New West, that's a big step up.

e.g. how Whalley is advertised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzuYSoD-ZMY

How it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8hCsP72XhU

Yeah Surrey is uh, very ambitious. I mean I think the idea of them densifying and trying to become the main regional centre South of the Fraser is a good idea, and it's good that they're trying, but they have a very steep hill to climb here.

Coincidentally their updated downtown city centre plan was approved by council last night.

quote:

https://urbansurrey.com/2017/01/16/visionary-new-surrey-city-centre-plan-adopted/

A landmark decision was made tonight as Surrey City Council gave final adoption to the new City Centre Plan. The plan, which has been under development for the past 10 years, is a major revision and update to the first City Centre Plan adopted back in 1991. Its aim is to redefine the vision and help better establish and reinforce a desirable development pattern for Surreys downtown. The 500-page document is full of visionary guidelines, objectives, and plans for the area, which will guide development over the next 30 years.

Below are some of the highlights:

The goal of the Surrey City Centre Plan is to help develop and support a regional downtown that is the main business, cultural and activity centre for the City of Surrey. It is anticipated that the existing City Centre population of 32,000 will more than double by 2033 to approximately 68,000 people and the number of jobs will increase from 24,000 to 32,000 over the next 10 years. The population of Surrey as a whole is expected to grow from 550,000 today to over 800,000 within 30 years to become the largest city in BC.

Surreys City Centre is undergoing a major transformation from a suburban centre into a walkable high density, transit oriented downtown for South of the Fraser. Surrey City Centre is envisioned to be the Fraser Valleys metropolitan centre, connected to major regional destinations by rapid transit and an efficient road network designed to support walking, cycling, and transit. It will be a centre for major employment; services; higher density housing; and commercial, cultural, entertainment, and institutional activity. Surrey City Centre is also designated as Metro Vancouvers second metropolitan centre in the 2040 Regional Growth Strategy.

Distinct and vibrant neighbourhoods, including a dynamic and innovative business sector, university, hospital, and civic and historic districts, will form the framework of the City Centre. Each of these areas will have its own unique character that together will create a diverse, authentic, and interesting downtown.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

You're mixing up how coal works here.

Westshore Terminals (the one you posted a photo of) is typically used for sending off metallurgical coal, which is the type used in steel production. China nor nobody else can ween themselves off of this stuff because you cannot efficiently smelt steel cheaply using say an electric furnace.

The coal typically found in Australia and the Appalachians are the garbage type and are meant for producing electricity.

cowofwar posted:

Australia exports garbage thermal coal to Asia, Canada exports metallurgical coal. Closing coal plants in China will have a big effect on Australia and its real estate markets in the boonies.

Exactly. As long as China continues to want to build skyscrapers and cars, Canada will be exporting coal to them for the foreseeable future.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

OSI bean dip posted:

Exactly. As long as China continues to want to build skyscrapers and cars, Canada will be exporting coal to them for the foreseeable future.

As long as anyone wants to, really. China is the world's largest exporter of steel now that the US industry is dead.

All the those towers going up downtown aren't using Canadian steel, largely because there is no such thing in any meaningful volume.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

my bad on coal types. Sux to be Australia then.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I have a friend who plans on moving to Australia soon. I don't know anything about Australia or its economy - would you guys think this move is a good or bad idea?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
what's he or she going to do once tjey get there?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also are they white?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Skizzzer posted:

I have a friend who plans on moving to Australia soon. I don't know anything about Australia or its economy - would you guys think this move is a good or bad idea?

If he has skills in racism and mining then he'll do okay. Maybe not be able to buy four properties downtown and become a slumlord like last decade though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Skizzzer posted:

As long as he's a millionaire chinese real-estate investor, he'll do fine.

If he's smart, being chinese and having someone mail you passports with other people's names on them so you can take university entrance exams for them is also good.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
okay, some context:
  • white
  • female
  • young (25ish)
  • would likely look for work in health care relating to people with disabilities
  • not happy in current job* and not sure whether to pursue additional education or look for another job
  • is going on a trip to south america and plans to move to australia for 6 months-year after
  • she's in victoria so current job prospects are pretty slim outside of government
  • *she is definitely leaving this job
i used to be her manager so she tends to ask me for advice. On the face of it i feel like it's at worst a lateral move, and at best a good experience. I was just wondering what the thread thinks cause I don't know much about Australia other than it might be a racist haven and their housing market is also terrible. but she's young and white and not looking to buy so that's probably fine for her. How's the rental situation there? It seems like we have some Australian posters here?

Powershift posted:

As long as he's a millionaire chinese real-estate investor, he'll do fine.

If he's smart, being chinese and having someone mail you passports with other people's names on them so you can take university entrance exams for them is also good.

Seriously? You can do that? I thought Australian universities are easy to get in, whether you pay or test for entry.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Skizzzer posted:

okay, some context:
  • white
  • female
  • young (25ish)
  • would likely look for work in health care relating to people with disabilities
  • not happy in current job* and not sure whether to pursue additional education or look for another job
  • is going on a trip to south america and plans to move to australia for 6 months-year after
  • she's in victoria so current job prospects are pretty slim outside of government
  • *she is definitely leaving this job
i used to be her manager so she tends to ask me for advice. On the face of it i feel like it's at worst a lateral move, and at best a good experience. I was just wondering what the thread thinks cause I don't know much about Australia other than it might be a racist haven and their housing market is also terrible. but she's young and white and not looking to buy so that's probably fine for her. How's the rental situation there? It seems like we have some Australian posters here?

Seriously? You can do that? I thought Australian universities are easy to get in, whether you pay or test for entry.

Is she Australian? You can't just move to another country and get a job unless it's under the table. Does she even has a visa?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doesn't Australia have work+tourist visas that are a gimme to get?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Femtosecond posted:

quote:

Surreys City Centre is undergoing a major transformation from a suburban centre into a walkable high density, transit oriented downtown for South of the Fraser.

And yet it's all centred on a huge road apparently? loving lol.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn't Australia have work+tourist visas that are a gimme to get?

Yeah, i did it. All you need is to be under 30, have a clean criminal record and $4k in the bank to prove you can support yourself if(when) you can't find a real job. You have to apply well before you go, and then travel within a year or approval though.

It's hard to get a real job there though because most companies know you'll be gone in a year. If you have skills or credentials, you can use the time to prove yourself, and then the company can apply to keep you, but that's really rare.

Pretty much the only jobs are the backpacker poo poo where they pick you up in a van, give you a pile of magazines to hand out on a street corner, tell you they'll pick you up at 5pm and pay you, and then you never see them again. that and bartender/waitress stuff.

You also get megafucked on exchange rate/purchasing power. The dollars are nearly 1:1, but the purchasing power there is nearly half, meaning every dollar you earned in canada buys you 50 cents worth of poo poo in Australia.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's pretty easy to find work as a Rope Tech in Australia and New Zealand. I'm headed to the latter as soon as I get my Siemens B cert for turbine repair.

Also IT, suprisingly easy to get into IT if you have the resume.

Rime fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 17, 2017

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
^ That's good to know. Do you have the name of that visa? Looking briefly over their list of visas, it looks like sponsorship is needed if she's looking for serious jobs. I also agree that's unlikely to happen based on the assumption that you'll be leaving in a year.

I know for sure she'll start with bartending/waitressing. It sounds like she's more looking to go for the experience rather than actually trying to start a career there. It also sounds like that's the more practical expectation from what I'm hearing.

Just for my own interest, are the salaries there in line with living costs? If purchasing power is half, it doesn't sound very livable. How did you find it?

cowofwar posted:

Is she Australian? You can't just move to another country and get a job unless it's under the table. Does she even has a visa?

She's not. Likely doesn't have a visa yet either. I had another friend who did the same thing (and apparently worked for and was sponsored by some real estate company) but I don't have all the details and haven't kept in touch with him.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a working holiday visa. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

On the low end, minimum wage is like $17 an hour so you can probably afford rent or food. mid-range though, they're not a whole lot higher than canada,

If she's just going for the experience, it's entirely worth it to do it, just expect to be a waitress working for peanuts.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's usually called a Youth Commonwealth Visa. Canada, the UK, Australia and NZ all have their own versions.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
dope, thanks for the info guys (girls?).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If she has the intention of doing anything remotely "masculine" as a job (including sales) she's also not going to find anything because Australia is a sexist hellhole as well as a racist one.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I found that dollar for dollar when I moved back to Canada I had wayyyyyy more purchasing power while still making the same amount of money. Like yeah $17 an hour is great and all but when you're paying $25+ for a meal at a low-end/average restaurant and $17/kg for extra lean ground beef that goes away pretty quickly.

If I had to put a figure to it I'd say there was probably a 25-30% difference. That was almost five years ago now though, things might have changed. Stuff has gotten more expensive here, I don't know about down there.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
As a chinese guy, australia sounds like a shithole. Would love to visit, but I have no interest in moving there.

Then again, I'm considering moving within Canada and the majority of cities (Winnipeg, Edmonton) sound similar too, so I dunno. Right now I'm looking at Calgary and Toronto, so we'll see. Canada feels really small when there's only a couple of cities to consider.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ive never met a really good australian ever. if im ever inappropriately propositioned in a gas station bathroom its ALWAYS an australian accent

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I haven't been there myself but from everyone else around me who has been to both Canada and Australia it's no comparison, Canada - > Australia is like Coastal North America -> The deep south of the US. Plus everything costs 3x as much because it's so far away from everything, and you can't ever leave because it's so far away from everything. If you can deal with everything being really far away and expensive New Zealand is a much better choice, and the NZ economy is actually doing much better too.

If you are in the armed forces the Australian army is somewhat less hosed than the Canadian one (IIRC Australian defense spending per capital is quite a bit higher) and you get more opportunities to shoot brown people. Not really a factor for me anymore at this point in my life. :geno:

EDIT: Also Australia is pretty warm I guess.

EDIT: ANd this is in comparison to major Canadian cities like Calgary and Vancouver. I've never been to loving Newfoundland or whatever so who knows

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 18, 2017

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

If you are in the armed forces the Australian army is somewhat less hosed than the Canadian one (IIRC Australian defense spending per capital is quite a bit higher) and you get more opportunities to shoot brown people. Not really a factor for me anymore at this point in my life. :geno:

Noooooooooooppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeee

http://www.news.com.au/national/off...cb9e2a931abfc83

http://www.australianetworknews.com/adf-sex-scandal-cadets-forced-sex/

http://www.news.com.au/national/day...c5a7d1197d1e730

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...fef3-1484698476

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sex-abuse-revelations-will-spur-change-adf-vicechief-tells-royal-commission-20160630-gpvlyn.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-30/vice-chief-of-defence-force-apologises-for-child-sexual-abuse/7556744

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Well yeah, but they weren't yelling "bang bang!" at each other when training before they got to the raping, so it is definitely a better situation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Meanwhile in Australia:

quote:

Combustible cladding to be stripped off Docklands tower in multi-million-dollar operation

Combustible cladding plastered across a Docklands high-rise will be stripped from the building after it was found the imported material posed a "significant and unacceptable" risk to hundreds of residents.

On Monday, the Building Appeals Board ordered the owners to remove the material. It quashed a bid by LU Simon Builders to keep the cladding and instead install more sprinklers, saying the equipment might fail with "catastrophic" results.

"The risk posed by the current cladding is so serious that it is necessary to have a building order which requires the owners to remedy the situation," the board found.

The decision means the 470 owners of the Lacrosse apartments could be left with an $8.6 million cladding replacement bill, on top of $6.5 million already spent to fix damage from a fire that tore up the 21-storey building in November 2014.

The determination also raises questions about the safety of the building, after the board found balconies were being used to store residents' possessions which, along with the combustible cladding, helped fuel the spread of the 2014 blaze.

While Melbourne City Council's building surveyor has insisted that the Lacrosse building is safe to occupy, it remains on the condition that interim safety measures such as keeping balconies clear of clutter and preventing overcrowding are in place.

On Monday many balconies at Lacrosse were cluttered with items, including clothes horses.

Resident Yuka Saito said she did not even know there had been fire in the building. The 26-year-old Japanese student has lived in the tower for a year, with five people in a two-bedroom unit.

"Every Wednesday or Thursday there is an alarm [for a fire drill], but nobody cares," she said.

And living rooms in the tower are still being rented out as bedrooms. A current advertisement offers a place in a "bunk bed" for $20 a day.

A council spokeswoman said occasional instances of balcony clutter had been rectified and council was auditing maintenance records at the building about every four months.

The Building Appeals Board is yet to rule on when the cladding will have to be removed and, with a Supreme Court appeal possible, Fire Protection Association Australia chief executive Scott Williams said he was concerned the issue would drag on.

Mr Williams said it only took a small combustible item, and the right circumstances, for a fire to start.

"I think it is very hard for Melbourne City Council to enforce [clutter on balconies]. People have a right to use them, but in these circumstances, until that cladding is replaced, there continues to be a heightened level of risk," he said.

Adding to the safety concerns, an engineering expert told the latest appeal that there was "no fire separation within or between" floors in the tower.

"I would argue it's a common law property right that fires should not spread to other properties," Dr Tony Enright, a fellow of Engineers Australia, said.

"While a fire within a building can occur, people including emergency responders shouldn't be injured or die, and another person's property shouldn't be damaged."

A spokeswoman for LU Simon declined to say whether the construction company would foot the bill for the replacement cladding.

"We are awaiting directions from the lawyers as to the effect of the judgment on ourselves and the owners," she said.

At least 140 owners are already seeking $15 million in compensation from the builder in an ongoing Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal case.

LU Simon had proposed to install balcony sprinklers and wall wetting sprinklers, but the board said it was not satisfied the sprinklers would operate properly during high-wind conditions.

It said the installed Alucobest cladding did not meet the relevant performance requirements of the Building Code of Australia and "was highly unusual for a building of Lacrosse's size".

The Metropolitan Fire Brigade warned even if additional wall sprinklers were installed, the fire could spread significantly before the sprinklers were activated.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/combustible-cladding-to-be-stripped-off-lacrosse-docklands-tower-20170116-gtslcj.html

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Australia and New Zealand are both way better than Canada and you all have Stockholm Syndrome.

Sure Aussies 50km from the coast are racist, just like Canadian rednecks. But nothing in Canada compares to Sydney or Melbourne.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
LOL

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Remember that time when countries like India and China were literally advising their citizens to NOT go to university in Australia because so many foreign students were being beaten half to death in Melbourne?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Or that time when Cronulla had race riots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Remember when Australia was racist?