Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015

tap my mountain posted:

I'm almost done farming goto9 on f23, I only need 9 more black candlewolfs :shepicide:

Black candle wolf seems to be a special kind of nightmare to me. Going 6 runs without a single drop now, and often go 3 to 4 without one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Candle Wolf is a special sort of hell metal because all this great slash resist gear is Candle Wolf. And a bunch of great weapons is also Candle Wolf.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Then suddenly you realize everything you want requires bullet metal

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And a tier before that it was scratch metal. I'm nearing where I have to worry about not having enough for the weapon upgrades though.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Is the floor 26 Coen as big a chump moveset-wise as the floor 3 version?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, he gets some new moves that are much more dangerous if you get smacked by them. He's still not very difficult, most of the problem is that his health balloons even more out of proportion.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015

poor life choice posted:

Is the floor 26 Coen as big a chump moveset-wise as the floor 3 version?

Yes and no. Charges more frequently, and I think might have slightly better recovery times but not 100% on that.

Big difficulty with him is lots of health, causing the fight to take long, giving you lots of time to make a small mistake and get taken out by his big damage numbers.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Hmm. Thanks for the feedback. Now that I'm poking my head into the level 20-30 stuff I was trying to figure out how to gear my guy up. Beelining for a +4 pork chopper seems pretty appealing.

Right now weapons-wise I have a baseline pork chopper and cleaver sabre, and a +2 nail gun+ (seemed like a good idea for chewing up mobs at the time). I guess I should just run the level 22 gold chest infinite times and like it?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
If you're feeling like you're strong enough, you can also try farming the Coen on floor 26 for a chance of D.O.D. Arms Black Metals instead of chancing it with the Kawabe golden box.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And Goto-9 on 23 for Candle Wolf Black.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

My progression has really stalled a lot once I got to floor 21. I can't beat the second GOTO-9 and all the screamers hit way way WAY harder. I think all my gear needs to be upgraded many times in order to compensate.

Time to roll up a Collector character again and scrounge up as many hidden medals and other things I can find.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The iron is all you need for now.

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

The results of these precious, meaty fingers.

Speedball posted:

My progression has really stalled a lot once I got to floor 21.

Do whatever it takes to not get hit by flaming swords as it devours armor. Also, I think vomiting up poison should wait until you are safe from enemies.

Don't feel bad about cheesing bosses from now on. Find and save Transparungus, Slowmungus, and Stingshrooms (from scorpions) for bosses. Buff timers stack on shrooms so you can eat more at one time if you need.

Upgrade your weapons first so you can reduce combat time. Making less mistakes is more valuable than armor, especially if it just burns off anyway. Stop drop and roll.

Brainshrooms let you instantly finish a target with goretastic so use it on haters, especially when you get higher star fighters.

Enemies tank hits because of their armor. Even higher level haters can seem impossible. Drag them through fire or use weapons like the Red Hot Iron to break them down. They are all eventually fragile when naked.

Just try not to get hit if at all possible, as much as possible.

Also, if you poison a hater with Claws, Pork Chopper, or Spiked Bat, give them some space and they will vomit and open themselves up to free hits.

Seriously, haters from 4-5 stars can become your biggest source of deaths if you don't change your tactics now.

Fissurefury fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 17, 2017

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Fissurefury posted:

Do whatever it takes to not get hit by flaming swords as it devours armor. Also, I think vomiting up poison should wait until you are safe from enemies.

Don't feel bad about cheesing bosses from now on. Find and save Transparashrooms, Slowmungus, and Stingshrooms (from scorpions) for bosses. Buff timers stack on shrooms so you can eat more at one time if you need.

Upgrade your weapons first so you can reduce combat time. Making less mistakes is more valuable than armor, especially if it just burns off anyway. Stop drop and roll.

Brainshrooms let you instantly finish a target with goretastic so use it on haters, especially when you get higher star fighters.

Enemies tank hits because of their armor. Even higher level haters can seem impossible. Drag them through fire or use weapons like the Red Hot Iron to break them down. They are all eventually fragile when naked.

Also, if you poison a hater with Claws, Pork Chopper, or Spiked Bat, give them some space and they will vomit and open themselves up to free hits.

Seriously, haters from 4-5 stars can become your biggest source of deaths if you don't change your tactics now.

Confirming at least the bolded part. I was getting destroyed by haters above floor 20 and spent the whole weekend switching up my tactics to deal with it. Not just haters, but EVERY hits so hard up there. Armor below 200 has become nearly useless. Dodging has proved far more valuable.

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

HaB posted:

Confirming at least the bolded part. I was getting destroyed by haters above floor 20 and spent the whole weekend switching up my tactics to deal with it. Not just haters, but EVERY hits so hard up there. Armor below 200 has become nearly useless. Dodging has proved far more valuable.

It got to the point where I saved a Grilled Guardshroom for every floor I planned to travel after unlocking 5 star fighters. Dev haters routinely had 5 star weapons and players had Cleaver Sabres and Poison Eater decals. If I had time to identify what they were wearing I could pass on using one.

By the way, send endless fighters in expeditions in the last floors, 31+ I believe. You will want the Guardshrooms for invincibility and the chance at Funshrooms which repair armor and the weapons in your active hands.

Also, GRILL. Funshrooms, Transparungus, Guardshrooms, Slowmungus, any animal food, Stingshrooms, etc all become improved or have their effective time increased.

I grill off of the flaming wok by the Mushroom Club. Just in case though, aim from the shop to an open space if you miss. I've lost thrown poo poo in walls and props.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Is there any particular floor from 31-40 that has the best chance of rewarding expeditions with Fun Fungus, or is it just a miniscule chance no matter what?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Fissurefury posted:

I grill off of the flaming wok by the Mushroom Club. Just in case though, aim from the shop to an open space if you miss. I've lost thrown poo poo in walls and props.

Nothing feels worse than accidentally throwing a good shroom/animal at the mushroom lady and being unable to retrieve it.

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

I found no way to guarantee them. I went about 6 or 8 expedition batches without one, then get 3 the next batch. Tried most floors many many times.

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

Poulpe posted:

Nothing feels worse than accidentally throwing a good shroom/animal at the mushroom lady and being unable to retrieve it.

I think turtles are out of the question for the wok too... it just takes a billion hits forever and stays in its shell.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008

Fissurefury posted:

Folks, there's a "grill" button. Walk up next to a fire, press the left side of the touch pad, then it will give you a prompt to shove the item into the fire with 'X' instead of throwing it.

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

That's good to know after I just beat the game.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I just ate a gambleshroom and a turtle killed me

what the gently caress is wrong with this game man

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Goons, what's the floor where there are like 30 mk 1 scratch metal robots and a hater in a hallway? Follow-up question: can I farm that level by immediately turning around after leaving the floor or do I have to go to the lobby then come back?

HoneyBoy posted:

I just ate a gambleshroom and a turtle killed me

what the gently caress is wrong with this game man

That sounds extremely cool and good, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fissurefury posted:

Don't feel bad about cheesing bosses from now on. Find and save Transparungus, Slowmungus, and Stingshrooms (from scorpions) for bosses. Buff timers stack on shrooms so you can eat more at one time if you need.

Thanks. I managed to burn my way past Goto-9 Level 7 and man this place is crazy and dangerous. These are all good tips.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Wait, buff timers stack!? That makes things so much easier. Time to eat a dozen Stamina shrooms and Stingshrooms and stunlock the Jackals to death.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008

poor life choice posted:

Goons, what's the floor where there are like 30 mk 1 scratch metal robots and a hater in a hallway? Follow-up question: can I farm that level by immediately turning around after leaving the floor or do I have to go to the lobby then come back?

It's 6F Heimo-Jima I believe. Only available during the same rotation as the Okusa floor ( which I think it will switch to tonight ).

You can immediately turn around at the escalator to respawn the tubers and the hater so it's a great place to farm kill coins, scratch metal, and weapon mastery.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Rinaldi posted:

It's 6F Heimo-Jima I believe. Only available during the same rotation as the Okusa floor ( which I think it will switch to tonight ).

You can immediately turn around at the escalator to respawn the tubers and the hater so it's a great place to farm kill coins, scratch metal, and weapon mastery.

Sweet! I went wild on golden snails this weekend so I can focus on scratch metal tonight.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, hey, I unlocked Rank 4 fighters. Good thing I had a couple of golden animals to eat to speedlevel my first one...

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Rinaldi posted:

Folks, there's a "grill" button. Walk up next to a fire, press the left side of the touch pad, then it will give you a prompt to shove the item into the fire with 'X' instead of throwing it.

I'm glad someone said this. I was reading all this going "how are they accidentally throwing something at the mushroom lady?"

So yeah - tap the left side so the throw icon appears, walk closer to a flaming anything and you will see the icon change to grill. That being said - this can get dicey with the small fire spots on the floor out in the floors. Sometimes the icon will change but hitting X won't grill the thing. It will do the animation but the mushroom doesn't cook. You have to try and adjust positioning. It is also possible to be too close to the fire and set yourself alight while grilling so uh - don't do that either.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

If you're really having trouble cooking something, you can stand in some fire and you'll cook things the instant you pull them out

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

If you're really having trouble cooking something, you can stand in some fire and you'll cook things the instant you pull them out

This is how I cook irl

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

poor life choice posted:

Sweet! I went wild on golden snails this weekend so I can focus on scratch metal tonight.

You shouldn't necessarily farm only that floor either. When you move up from Heimo-Jima look around and see if the first room on the next floor is the one with the two yellow generators. A hater always spawns right there and can always be snuck up on, suplexed, and killed before he gets back up by sneaking over the body pile they stand next to. You have a 50/50 shot of having the upper floor start with that room. If you get that, then the optimal farming route is to kill the hater on the below Heimo, go up to Heimo-Jima and farm it, and then go up one floor and stealth kill a third hater. Nabbing two extra haters every time you move through those three floors will more than double your cash income when you're farming that area.

I don't know if this is necessarily optimal if you've unlocked rank 5 dev haters, because they're total assholes, but at any point lower then that it's totally viable.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Man mid-bosses should have their drop rates adjusted. It's bad enough that higher level mid-bosses have a higher chance of dropped KC or busted up weapons instead of colored metals, but they KC they drop is as much as a regular screamer. The black metal grind was a little bad but the red metal grind loving sucks.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Rinaldi posted:

No I know this! But the "grill" command radius is affected by the size of the object you're about to grill!
So if you're just mass-grilling a bunch of things, leftpad X, leftpad X, leftpad X, and then the turtle's hitbox is too small or whatever so suddenly it's throw instead of grill, and then your nice turtle dinner is getting a lapdance from a woman in a horned mask.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Nah I'm pretty sure the radius for the command is the same for each object but you slowly inch backwards every time you cook something.

20-30 really spoiled me with fires in almost every room, so 30-40 is really throwing me for a loop whenever I lose my lifeshroom buff. They could at least have one fire in a treasure room or something, no fires whatsoever is just punishing.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008

Poulpe posted:

No I know this! But the "grill" command radius is affected by the size of the object you're about to grill!
So if you're just mass-grilling a bunch of things, leftpad X, leftpad X, leftpad X, and then the turtle's hitbox is too small or whatever so suddenly it's throw instead of grill, and then your nice turtle dinner is getting a lapdance from a woman in a horned mask.

Ah, yeah, I've definitely gone into autopilot mode and chucked a shroom through the mushroom magistrate, never to be seen again.

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

HellCopter posted:

Wait, buff timers stack!? That makes things so much easier. Time to eat a dozen Stamina shrooms and Stingshrooms and stunlock the Jackals to death.

Yeah it is a bit ridiculous. I used 10 Grilled Guardshrooms before the last boss, then (not right away) 3 each grilled Transparungus, Slowmungus, Stingshroom and went to town.

Removing boss ai, turning on godmode and bullet time, and more than doubling your damage for as long as you want is the most crazy loving balancing I've seen. I don't know if it should get nerfed though... bosses are just impossible walls that you can't know you prepared enough for until your poo poo is all broken and you have to accept your fate.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
SECRET OF MY SUCCESS

Leave my mushrooms be, they're perfect

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

tap my mountain posted:

20-30 really spoiled me with fires in almost every room, so 30-40 is really throwing me for a loop whenever I lose my lifeshroom buff. They could at least have one fire in a treasure room or something, no fires whatsoever is just punishing.

Lavashrooms are everywhere though! Drop whatever you want to cook and then chuck a lavashroom at em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Holy hell, my first foray into finding red metals leads me through 4 rooms of straight hell including U-10, only to finally track down a trap room and get a......... black metal from it. Not even black MILK.

gee, thanks game lmao

edit: Iron rage move + charged Motor Psycho loving owns btw

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 18, 2017

• Locked thread