Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

As the OP seems to be absent again, this is now the Fructidor: Juicy Fruities OFFICIAL RELEASE THREAD!

You can play the game here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tiyod8lil0bm81a/Fructidor.zip?dl=0

The game has 25 waves, after which you will learn a SECRET PASSWORD! The first 3 people to PM me said password will get any game of their choice below €10 on steam.

This owns. gently caress Thermidor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

As the OP seems to be absent again, this is now the Fructidor: Juicy Fruities OFFICIAL RELEASE THREAD!

You can play the game here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tiyod8lil0bm81a/Fructidor.zip?dl=0

The game has 25 waves, after which you will learn a SECRET PASSWORD! The first 3 people to PM me said password will get any game of their choice below €10 on steam.
This is great, cheers on making a cool game :moonrio:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thank you very much for changing the thread title, most benevolent and gracious Mo-Mos.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Holy poo poo my own video game thread, stickied at the top. It's a dream come true!

Good Dumplings posted:

Geez, this game is hard. The meter seems to go down less if you guillotine the guys jumping on the conveyor belt :stare:
Yeah, the meter decreases as long as there are guys on the belt, I had some mechanics in place that made more sense but had to cut them due to time constraints.

DropsySufferer posted:

Much like Thermidor, Fructidor isn't working for me. I'm getting message failed to open descriptor file .../.../.../Fruidor.upproject' :smith:
Hm, that's weird! Maybe try running the .exe file in Engine\Binaries\Win32 instead?

boy are my arms tired posted:

so uh can i count this

im on wave 25 and this guy wont respond to fruits or bombs, he just stands there

still a better game than thermidor

Oh no :( AI Programming is hard. The game is supposed to end when the last guy disappears, but when he doesn't... yeah.
I'll count this as a win, well played! PM me your e-mail address and what game you want :)
Edit: I bet your arms got tired shoveling all that fruit!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I will say that the final waves where its just nothing but fruit, powerups, and mashing cut to make an army of cakes was a lot of fun. Good stuff!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

LibbyM posted:

Fructidor is pretty stressful since it seems to be very all or nothing. The moment you fall behind on cakes once and people get onto your conveyor belt once, you'll be behind on cakes for the next wave and it's a very fast spiral of death with very little opportunity to catch up.

Not only a better game, but more historically accurate!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Marie Antoinette just showed up, nearly died laughing.

GOTY

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
I like how game made by one person basically to spite someone else is more functional and better developed than a game with a whole team of designers.

As a demo, Fructidor does a fine job of presenting a concept and showing off potential. Should kukrunkarmaskin want to further develop the game, I have no doubt that they could tweak the gameplay mechanics, squash any programming bugs, develop the graphics and successfully market a finished product. I say that I do not have these doubts because, unlike Thermidor, this game has an actual, playable sample that showcases what the core of the game is about, rather than a bucket of generic anime art and promises.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Can't wait for hbd to come back and notice the thread name change :allears:

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme

Kelp Me! posted:

Can't wait for hbd to come back and notice the thread name change :allears:

No gently caress that, this is the Fructidor thread now. Thermidor is dead and gone.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

HBD just has to up the ante with a game about Danton cooking lobsters or something.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Palpek, could we get Fructidor in the OP? I've never even heard of this Thermidor but I think its a ripoff of Fructidor, a game that exists and I have beaten, even.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I applaud the proper spelling of Tarte aux pommes.Thanks Fructidordevbox, you are a lot more hyper than the other devbox in my book.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Palpek, could we get Fructidor in the OP? I've never even heard of this Thermidor but I think its a ripoff of Fructidor, a game that exists and I have beaten, even.

agreed. it's pretty rude of the people involved.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

I'll admit, I wasn't expecting to ever be grabbing a playable game from this thread, but here we are! :)

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Neat, I see there is potential in Fructidor, but it is a little rough. Is there some kind of kickstarter to get behind? When does this hit Steam?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
FUNDS RAISED BY THERMIDOR ON INDIEGOGO

28 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

31 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

3 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

5 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

6 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

7 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

8 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

9 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

10 January 2017 - $1052 USD raised by 24 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

11 January 2017 - $1052 USD raised by 24 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

12 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

13 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

14 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

15 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

16 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

17 January 2017 - $1112 USD raised by 26 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

Total increase in amount raised between 28 December 2016 to 17 January 2017 - $310

Total increase in number of backers between 28 December 2016 to 17 January 2017 - 4

No. of days left - 12 A month left [i.e. Hyperdevbox has extended the deadline, as though it'd help]

Shortfall between target and amount raised so far - $238,888.00

Average amount of new funds per day month required to meet target - $238,888.00

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Guys, I don't think NotRon will be back :(

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Let's prolong the shame

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

Hyperdevbox has extended the deadline

fuckin lol

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

JosephWongKS posted:

Hyperdevbox has extended the deadline, as though it'd help

Thank god, rounding all these funds together on time wasn't going to be easy, 12 days was way too short.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
They did the dumbest thing they could do lmao

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

lol you gave $150 to KS a visual novel and didn't even ask for a refund when the dev literally said he stopped caring about the game and openly offered refunds

e: you donated to Thermidor already didn't you

From a while back, but why would I? The money has been spent and paid to people. The project didn't happen and the guy was sincere, I'm not gonna kick him when he's down by asking for a refund.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Unsure why you are talking about some obscure kickstarter game in this, the official thread of fructidor.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fructidor.exe is making Avast poo poo itself. Is there a way to whitelist it or something?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Donate to hyperdevbox

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fructidor was a great laugh and then turned to rage as peasants swarm my precious conveyor belt time after time is this what it feels like to be boergosie

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

There doesn't seem to be any penalty for guillotining those little fuckers, so to hell with the proletariat.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SSNeoman posted:

From a while back, but why would I? The money has been spent and paid to people. The project didn't happen and the guy was sincere, I'm not gonna kick him when he's down by asking for a refund.

e: in case the giant stare emote isn't enough of an explanation, that money was spent on a very broad category called "not making the game you paid for." The guy was as sincere about making the game at the start as he was about how he literally lost interest by the end and also literally told people the proper process to ask for a refund so it's really funny to me that your response is "welp I hope he enjoyed spending that $150 on booze/drugs/anime/not making the erotic anime CYOA novella I paid for"

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 18, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

dischan posted:

In the post announcing the halting of full-time development on the Dysfunctional Systems series I mentioned that I would write another post detailing what exactly went wrong. This is that post. In no particular order, I'm going to list and analyze the mistakes that were made during development.
Lack of Process
Before the Kickstater, Dischan operated as a group of volunteers and there was very little process. We each had our jobs and we did them at our own pace. I thought we could continue working this way, but it proved not to be the case. Work was completed very slowly and while that would have previously been fine, now it was causing us to lose money.
A few months ago I realized something had to be done, and so I began breaking down the work and creating schedules which I got the team to commit to. Things starting moving a lot more quickly after that, but it caused another problem, which I'll discuss next.
Lack of Quality Control
The problem was that the team started rushing. Mistakes were ignored for the sake of meeting deadlines. The result is that episode 0 neared completion, but still did not qualify as "good". We needed to strike a balance between speed and quality, but we didn't have the time to do it.
We also didn't have any kind of process to guarantee quality. People completed their assigned work and then a box was ticked. We should have implemented a peer review system to ensure that work met our standards before considering it "done". When you're working on your own, it's easy to miss mistakes, after all.
Feature Creep
Our original budget and planning was based on episode 1, but this turned out to be a bad idea, since what we were trying to create ended up being significantly more complex than episode 1. We had a more complicated codex, a travel system, an interactables system, and an overall larger scope. Altogether things ended up requiring more time than we thought. We should have tightened the scope and made the sequels less ambitious.
Overpayment
I really value the work people do and I wanted to properly compensate them for it, especially after having had people work as volunteers for so long. However, I should have been more shrewd and practical. I paid people too much, or at least incorrectly. Dischan employees were paid a salary when they should have been paid hourly. An hourly wage would have ensured that money was only spent when work was completed.
Sixty thousand dollars seems like a lot of money, but it disappears quickly if you try to pay four/five people decently over nine months.
Overhiring
I hired a designer and I should not have. That's not to say he wasn't extremely talented and a good worker, it's just that we didn't have enough work for him and in the end his work wasn't as crucial to the end product as writing, art, and implementation. I should have hired him on a contract basis.
Overpromising
We promised 2 full games and a third smaller game in the Kickstarter. That's a lot, and it's an obligation that puts a lot of pressure on you. The stress of that weight made it difficult to focus. We should have only promised a single episode, which we would have been able to handle much better.
Loss of Motivation
It pains me to admit this, but to some degree I lost my passion for Dysfunctional Systems. I wasn't the only one either. This was a massive problem, not just because it made it difficult to work, but also because it caused a drop in quality of work.
I think the root of the problem was the overpromising in the Kickstarter. When something you love doing becomes an obligation, it begins causing stress instead of joy. I failed to realize this would happen.
In Conclusion
The Dysfunctional Systems Kickstarter taught us some amazingly valuable lessons that we might not have otherwise learned, but it came at a high price. If we had learned these lessons before launching the Kickstarter campaign, I'm sure it would have turned out better. It's very unfortunate that we lacked the experience and foresight required to avoid these problems.

dischan posted:

I'm pleased to announce that all Kickstarter refund requests, with the exception of those where I am waiting on additional information, have been completed.
Given that I began accepting refund requests almost nine months ago now, and made multiple posts about it at the time, I think that it's safe to say that refund requests are closed now. Meaning, I will no longer be accepting new requests.
If you have already sent me a request, then you will still receive your refund when I receive the required information. If you have sent me a refund request, but haven't received your refund, then be sure to check your messages as I may have needed more information from you. Please note that I just completed 76 refunds yesterday, and credit card refunds take some time to appear on your statements. Note also that if I sent you a refund, then I also sent you a Kickstarter message telling you that I did. If you don't have that message, then let me know.
To those of you who chose to forgo a refund request, thank you. It is by your understanding that what could have been a crushing debt for me has been significantly lightened. If in the future I have the opportunity to repay you in some way, I will. This probably doesn't mean a cash refund, unless perhaps I win the lottery, but I will try to give you all something of value equal to the amount you pledged, eventually.
I've learned so much from the experience with Dischan and this Kickstarter that even though it turned out poorly for everyone involved, I have a hard time feeling like it was a mistake. I hope that I am able to provide something or perhaps several things to you all in the future, so that perhaps eventually you'll feel like you didn't make a mistake either.

Yeah man what an rear end in a top hat

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Ey y'all this isn't the shitpost about failed kickstarters or what people do with their money thread, this is the create a fruitcake and kill your constituents fructidor thread

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah I didn't say he was an rear end in a top hat I said he lost interest in the project and that he provided repeated opportunities for refunds

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ey y'all this isn't the shitpost about failed kickstarters

Correct. This is thread to shitpost about a failed Indiegogo.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baron Corbyn posted:

Correct. This is thread to shitpost about a failed Indiegogo.

It hasn't failed yet - Hyperdevbox still has 12 days 1 month to hit the target.

[Can HDB simply reset the time limit indefinitely, or is there a limit on the number of times they can reset?]

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Fructidor owns and definitely has potential to be a legit product if the dude wants to do that. The devcube guys can eat poo poo.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
What? I thought there were rules on extending on IGG. The Labzero guys were saying they had to hit a certain percentage to be able to extend and rallied everyone to fund at least enough to satisfy the extension requirement. What happened to that?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Must have been old rules:
https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/216112178

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Looking forward to RonNotRon to come back and lose his mind. He got super pissed from slight name changes to the last thread.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Thanks everyone, really appreciating the response ITT. At the start I was mostly doing it for comedy/spite, but then the actual game turned out pretty well!

Reminder that there are still two Fabulous Prizes (Steam game of your choice under €10) up for grabs for anyone who PMs me the SECRET PASSWORD revealed during the ending cutscene, alternately a screenshot of the game stuck with one peasant left.

Also, I'm actually entertaining the thought of further working this into an real game and selling it. My current job involves developing stuff in Unreal Engine so I'm comfortable with that side of things, but I've never done a game before so I'm not super knowledgeable on how I would get to a finished product what with the sales and marketing and kickstarting and all.

So please tell me why this is a horrible idea and how it will make me regret the day I was born. That, or how to improve the game to make it viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's not your thread anymore PossibleRon.

• Locked thread