Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Vanagoon posted:

Because that's what it looks like, a frickin robot warthog.

That's cool though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KozmoNaut posted:

And because SUVs are comfortable. High weight, relatively long wheelbase and long suspension travel is a fine recipe for comfort.

...Kinda like what a regular full-size sedan was until we regulated them out of existence for anyone that wasn't buying a 5 series or up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrYenko posted:

...Kinda like what a regular full-size sedan was until we regulated them out of existence for anyone that wasn't buying a 5 series or up.

Yes. It's been said many times before: The SUV is the modern full-size sedan/wagon.

E: Everything about this vehicle is just wrong, starting with diesel clatter coming from a goddamn Maserati.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdAGJq6b9H0

That said, it looks more like an overgrown hatchback than a truck, so at least they rolled the turd in glitter before presenting it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 17, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MrYenko posted:

regular full-size sedan was until we regulated them out of existence

Can you go into some more detail on how this happened / what drove it or recommend a link?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Large cars have more strict MPG requirements than trucks under CAFE rules, so basically a large V8 sedan are bad but even thirstier giant trucks are ok. Sad!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MrYenko posted:

I'm pretty sure history will look at today's SUVs like they did 70s full sized sedans. They're just loving enormous for no real reason and look ridiculous as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm pretty sure history will look at today's SUVs like they did 70s full sized sedans. They're just loving enormous for no real reason and look ridiculous as well.

And somehow once you climb into one you feel like you're in a cocoon. Or you try to haul a thing and realize that even though you have a bunch of cargo space, the hole in the back is smaller and rounded off so you can't actually get anything in there.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

Yes. It's been said many times before: The SUV is the modern full-size sedan/wagon.

E: Everything about this vehicle is just wrong, starting with diesel clatter coming from a goddamn Maserati.

That said, it looks more like an overgrown hatchback than a truck, so at least they rolled the turd in glitter before presenting it.

A diesel Maserati? lmao that's the worst thing in the world

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It looks like an EX35.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KozmoNaut posted:

That looks like a slightly larger Mazda 3 hatchback.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

mobby_6kl posted:

Large cars have more strict MPG requirements than trucks under CAFE rules, so basically a large V8 sedan are bad but even thirstier giant trucks are ok. Sad!

I unironically appreciate you formatting it like a Trump tweet for us. Shouldn't Crossovers fall under "car" designations rather than "truck" for CAFE requirements, since they're built on car platforms?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

That looks like a slightly larger Mazda 3 hatchback.

I saw one yesterday, it looked like an Infiniti FX35 (whichever one is based on the 350Z).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

I unironically appreciate you formatting it like a Trump tweet for us. Shouldn't Crossovers fall under "car" designations rather than "truck" for CAFE requirements, since they're built on car platforms?

For a long time, literally the only thing separating cars from light trucks and SUVs was merely the ground height measurement.

Foresters were a good example of this because they were impreza based designs with spacers to lift the car up and give it a higher ride height. the side benefit was that emissions standards, crash standards and fuel economy standards were all set lower for "light trucks" than cars.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

The Chrysler PT Cruiser was technically a truck based on the precise definitions. I think it's complicated.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

donut posted:

That reminded me of the button sequences necessary to open smuggling compartments as described in this terribly interesting article.

Jesus, that's a very... concerning precedent they set there. You can be convicted for how your customers use your products even if you had no knowledge of how they were used? Scary as gently caress.

Memento posted:

The weirdest thing about Homeowner's Associations to me is that they are a uniquely American thing, the land of OUR FREEDOMS. Telling someone they need to have their house a certain way, just like the rest of the street, is the kind of conformity that you lot usually despise.

Yeah, that's always amazed me, too, and I'm 'Merican. Just like how I'm amazed that in Texas, of all places, red-light cameras remain operational. I'd have thought someone would have shot a few by now. Speed cameras would definitely get routinely destroyed, I'd bet.

Vanagoon posted:

IF it was a cube instead of a juke i'd have said ok sure but they ought to just be honest and call the juke "Warthog".

Because that's what it looks like, a frickin robot warthog.

Are you sure it's not a puma?
(RvB joke)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm terrible car stuff, I kind of like the Macan.

Problem is that "luxury" and "SUV" are such an oxymoron in my own mind that I'd never pay the ridiculous price for one. If you actually use an SUV for outdoorsy stuff and driving on dirt roads and in snow it ain't going to look like a nice luxury SUV for very long. Give me a Subaru for those tasks for 1/3 the price. Scratches and scuffs on a Subaru add character, but on a Porsche they just tank your value even faster than normal.

But of course stop and go traffic and mall crawling is the fate of 99% of these luxury SUVs, so...

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Deteriorata posted:

The Chrysler PT Cruiser was technically a truck based on the precise definitions. I think it's complicated.

Wasn't that a result of the reconfigurable interior?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Darchangel posted:

(RvB joke)

Thank you!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Deteriorata posted:

Oh yeah, I have such a hate boner for that car, I can't believe that I could have forgotten about it like that.

BraveUlysses posted:

For a long time, literally the only thing separating cars from light trucks and SUVs was merely the ground height measurement.

Foresters were a good example of this because they were impreza based designs with spacers to lift the car up and give it a higher ride height. the side benefit was that emissions standards, crash standards and fuel economy standards were all set lower for "light trucks" than cars.

That's stupid. Why aren't the safety standards higher for larger vehicles, since they have more room, more material to work with, and often have the occupants farther away from the actual impact?
I didn't realize that modern vehicles had gotten so ridiculously huge until I saw Doug DeMuro's original Hummer next to a newer Tahoe, and it was significantly smaller... I do miss the oldrr Subarus though, the Impreza sport wagon was one of my favorite cars of the late 90's/2000's

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jonny Nox posted:

Thank you!

:agreed:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

donut posted:

That reminded me of the button sequences necessary to open smuggling compartments as described in this terribly interesting article.

I realize that this is a piece on an entertainment website and is not necessarily comprehensive, but I feel like his attorney's main argument should have been that his client was no more guilty than the Ford dealer who probably received cash to buy a brand new pickup.

The prosecutor argued that he facilitated the drug trade, but if that's the only requirement, I mean there's a long list of people who deal with any suspected drug operations on their public and legal face.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

angryrobots posted:

I realize that this is a piece on an entertainment website and is not necessarily comprehensive, but I feel like his attorney's main argument should have been that his client was no more guilty than the Ford dealer who probably received cash to buy a brand new pickup.

The prosecutor argued that he facilitated the drug trade, but if that's the only requirement, I mean there's a long list of people who deal with any suspected drug operations on their public and legal face.

Like I said, dangerous precedent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

Thank you!

You're welcome. First thing I think of when I see "warthog", now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Man...

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I will never buy anything other than a large two door or small 4 door hatchback. Loved my mini, love my fit. Fiesta st is likely my next car.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I will never buy anything other than a large two door or small 4 door hatchback. Loved my mini, love my fit. Fiesta st is likely my next car.

The first moderately sized object I buy after I replace my Fit is going to be really disappointing. I've gotten so used to not paying attention to the size of things because of course it will fit in the Fit why would I even think about measuring it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:dadjoke:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Galler posted:

The first moderately sized object I buy after I replace my Fit is going to be really disappointing. I've gotten so used to not paying attention to the size of things because of course it will fit in the Fit why would I even think about measuring it?

I just bought one, but I know exactly what you mean.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Letters out on the exploder :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

C

angryrobots posted:

Better still, I'd bet that you have to add the letters in the first place. I don't think Yokohama makes passenger car tires with white letters. That said, I don't think it looks bad, per se, just not quite the right vehicle (which is what I think you're saying).

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

angryrobots posted:

Is it just me or do those wheels look terrible?

Or maybe the terrible white lettering is accentuating the terribleness of those wheels?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The rims are not completely offensive, they're just on the wrong vehicle. I think they would fit okay on one of the modern muscle cars.

The whole project reeks of a dad who really wants a sports car but has a herd of children and needs something "safe."

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I wonder if I can find a picture of my 4-door 1990 Cutlass Supreme with American Racing Estrellas and raised white-letter BF Goodrich tires. What was I thinking...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like what my dad did.. we had a late 70's oldsmobile wagon, in the 90's it was painted metallic green (needed paint anyways, and why not) so he put some chrome rims on it with (if I remember right) white lettered bf goodrich rubber.

I thought it looked pretty cool, for a station wagon.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I had RWLs on my 84 Rx7, 66 Galaxie, 83 Z28, my tan on tan 79 Horizon and currently on my 97 Ram. All looked freakin sweet. I have no shame.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
When my p71 needed new tires for the first time, there was no question. God I miss that terrible car.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

eyebeem posted:

When my p71 needed new tires for the first time, there was no question. God I miss that terrible car.

Excellent

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

White letters own, even that exploder is somewhat cooler with them. And the wheels are a good design, just need to not be chrome. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I really like the way the exploder looks, the wheels are eh but the letters are cool. It needs black wheels of some kind.