Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Enos Cabell posted:

The Wraith is awesome, and it seems not a lot of people are familiar with it. Movie is worth watching for Clint Howard's character alone.

Cassavetes is also pretty entertaining in it, from what I remember. Gotta rewatch it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

Cassavetes is also pretty entertaining in it, from what I remember. Gotta rewatch it now.

Yeah, that whole gang was terrific really.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Weren't the prostitutes at the end near an airport?

Very possible! I haven't seen the movie in a while, so I may have forgotten that. I'll check during a re-watch.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LogisticEarth posted:

I just watched It Follows and the entire movie is soaked in fantasy-world stuff, so trying to apply any hardcore realism to it is folly.

Yep. The way they set-up this almost alternative reality is one of my favorite things.

I've seen people complain about the kids plan at the pool. I always took it (as I heard someone else call it this, maybe the director) as kids trying to do a Scooby-Doo solution that backfires. I like that.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Who would have thought that a Detroit ghetto community pool would have up-to-date surge protectors installed in their outlets. I've worked on a number of pools in luxury apartment complexes where the wiring was not exactly up to NEIS standards.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey if you really liked playing SKYRIM, go check out the Last Kingdom. Vikings and swords and stuff.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I rewatched It Follows the other day and found some other things from when I saw it in theaters.

One big thing i noticed this time around was in the pool scene. It comes in as Jays father and when asked what she see's, she says "I don't want to say". Since he is absent throughout the film, I've been speculating why she doesn't want to say his name, he may have either died, or potentially abused her. Her mother is quite distant throughout the movie and drinking almost every time you see a shot of her. So got me thinking more about the theory that this whole movie is just a giant metaphor of sexual abuse, and not a monster movie.

I didn't believe the whole monster is afraid of water thing either, but on a second watch, the back yard pool is smashed on a side and most of the water has come out before they all head to the school pool to kill it. I still believe their plan is supposed to be idiotic, as a teenager should have no clue what to do in this situation.

I still am torn on it being a straight monster movies or a metaphor, but I think that's what makes it so great to watch. The vagueness of what time period it is in drives it all the way for me. And as someone who has lived in metro Detroit their entire life, the 8 mile rule is absolutely a real thing as a kid.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Slandible posted:

I rewatched It Follows the other day and found some other things from when I saw it in theaters.

One big thing i noticed this time around was in the pool scene. It comes in as Jays father and when asked what she see's, she says "I don't want to say". Since he is absent throughout the film, I've been speculating why she doesn't want to say his name, he may have either died, or potentially abused her. Her mother is quite distant throughout the movie and drinking almost every time you see a shot of her. So got me thinking more about the theory that this whole movie is just a giant metaphor of sexual abuse, and not a monster movie.

I didn't believe the whole monster is afraid of water thing either, but on a second watch, the back yard pool is smashed on a side and most of the water has come out before they all head to the school pool to kill it. I still believe their plan is supposed to be idiotic, as a teenager should have no clue what to do in this situation.

I still am torn on it being a straight monster movies or a metaphor, but I think that's what makes it so great to watch. The vagueness of what time period it is in drives it all the way for me. And as someone who has lived in metro Detroit their entire life, the 8 mile rule is absolutely a real thing as a kid.

Wasn't the broken pool right after she swam out to have sex with the guys on the boat? I figured that she smashed the pool as some sort of coping method for the trauma like saying she was done with swimming. Of course I could've been reading too much into it since 5 minutes later she was in a pool again.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Ixcanul is tremendous, and streaming on Netflix, and also everywhere else apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJfvKnLPqFM

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Just finished binge-ing through Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime. It was surprisingly good and had stellar performances all around. It was awesome to see Bryan Cranston play a more villain-type role.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

Wasn't the broken pool right after she swam out to have sex with the guys on the boat? I figured that she smashed the pool as some sort of coping method for the trauma like saying she was done with swimming. Of course I could've been reading too much into it since 5 minutes later she was in a pool again.

The pool is a comfort, it's a distraction, safe place, womb. After the boat sex, any pretense of innocence or being able to return to her innocence is gone, she's desensitized, and has destroyed the safe haven, since it's nothing she can enjoy again. Can't really sit in a pool if a monster's chasing you. The finale is a bigger pool, one that can't just be ripped apart, like she's trying to use her comfort tool as a means to destroy the monster, but it's much bigger than her, and it doesn't work.

Slandible posted:

Sexual abuse is definitely a possibility, it's an important gray area. Signs also point to suicide, but I don't see why it should be mutually exclusive. Her dad may have killed himself after the abuse?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Or IT just gets on the airplane with them, or swims the distance. It doesn't seem exhaustible. What else does it have to do?

this is all needlessly dorky speculation, but the director did confirm in a Q&A that it would follow you onto a plane.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this is all needlessly dorky speculation, but the director did confirm in a Q&A that it would follow you onto a plane.

Yeah, my point is that when you try to apply regular logic to a film based in dream logic, where it's literally a monster transmitted by sexual activity, you can speculate/make up any plausible explanation, because the question is already dumb.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's also a silly question even aside from that because like, why wouldn't it follow you onto a plane?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's obviously got some sort of ability to sense where you are at all times, so it doesn't need to actually know which plane you get on. It just knows where you are and can get on the next plane to wherever that is. Its invisible so it has no problem just walking right onto any plane it wants.

Re: pools and water

Just like everything else in the movie, water is a metaphor for the safe little world Jay had been living in up to this point. I don't think its a coincidence that the final scene takes place in a much more crowded, public place than anything we'd seen in the film before. It shows that Jay has broken out of her protective bubble and is now ready to take on the wider world as an adult woman.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 18, 2017

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

In 5-10 years when someone buys the rights or whatever to It Follows, we will have 2-3 straight to video sequels that will explore all of these ideas in detail. I can already imagine the plane scene.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's also a silly question even aside from that because like, why wouldn't it follow you onto a plane?

IT FOLLOWS

Basebf555 posted:

It's obviously got some sort of ability to sense where you are at all times, so it doesn't need to actually know which plane you get on. It just knows where you are and can get on the next plane to wherever that is. Its invisible so it has no problem just walking right onto any plane it wants.

Re: pools and water

Just like everything else in the movie, water is a metaphor for the safe little world Jay had been living in up to this point. I don't think its a coincidence that the final scene takes place in a much more crowded, public place than anything we'd seen in the film before. It shows that Jay has broken out of her protective bubble and is now ready to take on the wider world as an adult woman.

Totally agree.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I just figured out the monster is a metaphor for modern location trackers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I just figured out the monster is a metaphor for modern location trackers.

It Pokémon Goes

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

In 5-10 years when someone buys the rights or whatever to It Follows, we will have 2-3 straight to video sequels that will explore all of these ideas in detail. I can already imagine the plane scene.

"Can we make the monster sexy?"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

"Can we make the monster sexy?"

Sequel about Followers who try to get the curse so they can be hosed to death will be better than the original.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It Pokémon Goes

I mean, yeah. The Myth of the American Sleepover employs this kind of 'virtual reality,' too - just not nearly as successfully. (The best moment, and the one which was clearly influential upon It Follows, is when there's this inexplicable moment where there's a COPYRIGHT SAFE recreation of Mothra and the twin fairies, foreshadowing that the character's obsession with 'twins' was sewed into him from an early age, through this 'myth' of feminine grace in a schlocky kids movie.)

It Follows is really just a no-budget, mumblecore take on eXistenZ.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I mean, yeah. The Myth of the American Sleepover employs this kind of 'virtual reality,' too - just not nearly as successfully. (The best moment, and the one which was clearly influential upon It Follows, is when there's this inexplicable moment where there's a COPYRIGHT SAFE recreation of Mothra and the twin fairies, foreshadowing that the character's obsession with 'twins' was sewed into him from an early age, through this 'myth' of feminine grace in a schlocky kids movie.)

It Follows is really just a no-budget, mumblecore take on eXistenZ.

I wouldn't be surprised if It Follows actually had a considerably higher budget than eXistenZ. I gotta rewatch that one. Cronenberg is King.

edit: wow I was way wrong, $2 million to eXistenZ's $15 million.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
eXistenZ is still my favorite Cronenberg film. Gotta love Jude Law and Ally Sheedy in it. And Willem Dafoe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's what great cinematography will do for you. It can make a movie look as good or better than something with ten times the budget.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if It Follows actually had a considerably higher budget than eXistenZ. I gotta rewatch that one. Cronenberg is King.

edit: wow I was way wrong, $2 million to eXistenZ's $15 million.

Two million? Cheese and crackers!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

eXistenZ is still my favorite Cronenberg film. Gotta love Jude Law and Ally Sheedy in it. And Willem Dafoe.

I made the mistake of trying to watch eXistenZ while I was anxious, and the flesh controllers in the very beginning hosed me up into a full on panic attack. I haven't tried watching it since, though it deserves another go.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

Ally Sheedy, huh? That must've been one level deeper in the simulation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A not insignificant portion of that $15 million probably ended up going to Jennifer Jason Leigh actually, she was a pretty big star at the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

Jennifer Jason Leigh

How did I mix those two up :psyduck:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The From Dusk Till Dawn series is actually pretty good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Watched Dope on Netflix. Holy poo poo, what a fantastic film. Loved the caper plot, humor, soundtrack... everything.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Is Existenz actually good? I like Scanners, Videodrome, The Dead Zone, and The Fly. I thought A History of Violence and Eastern Promises were pretty OK.

Back to Existenz, I've seen a few parts of it and it seemed kind of bad and somehow looked more dated than earlier films. Is it actually worth watching?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

Is Existenz actually good? I like Scanners, Videodrome, The Dead Zone, and The Fly. I thought A History of Violence and Eastern Promises were pretty OK.

Back to Existenz, I've seen a few parts of it and it seemed kind of bad and somehow looked more dated than earlier films. Is it actually worth watching?

It's good and you should see it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Rough Lobster posted:

Yes it's good. It's worth watching. Go watch it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

eXistenZ is basically Videodrome for video games so I'd say watch it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its pretty good but its nowhere near top tier Cronenberg.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I haven't seen eXistenZ in a long while, but it will feel very retro from a video game perspective, right? I seem to remember it more referencing the style of early PC games.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lycus posted:

I haven't seen eXistenZ in a long while, but it will feel very retro from a video game perspective, right? I seem to remember it more referencing the style of early PC games.
Sort of. It was definitely part of the whole 90s VR craze and you could say it's the ultimate form of the 90s "interative movie" :airquote: games :airquote: (although this one has multiplayer). The game is pure sci-fi though and we still dream of games like that, so in that sense it's very modern.

I thought the movie was a blast when I watched it on Netflix. I think I vaguely knew it existed before, but I never paid any attention because of the X-tremely 90s title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
It's worth watching for the tooth gun scene in the Chinese restaurant alone.