Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I think in retrospect a lot of that stuff seems really played out and forced (it seems like they're trying to force a new hip catchphrase character every week after Waynes World/Church Lady/Makin Copies/etc) but at the time it was must see TV. If you went to school the next day and hadn't seen the new sketches with the new character or whatever you'd be totally out of the loop and confused. I'd say the bad era was after all those guys eventually left to do other stuff and before the new people like Fallon/Fey/etc really hit their stride.

If you went to school the next day you'd be totally out of the loop because you're going to school on a Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

If you went to school the next day you'd be totally out of the loop because you're going to school on a Sunday.

Rusty Zipper has vintage clothes dating back to the 1940s. Their 90s section has some choice bits.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't think wolf shirts were cool in any era.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I saw a grown man wearing a three wolves tshirt last weekend. I thought that was just the stuff of legends.

It wasn't even the howling three wolves one either.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

This one might as well be modern, it owns.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd say the early 90s were probably the second Golden Age of SNL, if not at least the Silver Age. As was said, that poo poo was so popular, everyone knew it. SNL had prime time specials a lot during then, because they knew poo poo was that popular. And to think that there was a point just before that were SNL was being replaced with Wrestling because it's ratings were so poor.

I remember Big Dogs shirts were pretty popular for a brief time. I mean they're better than Chip and Pepper but still.

Oh look they're still around
https://www.bigdogs.com/ And they've turned into a douchebag clothing outlet

So were Big Johnson

Or Co-ed Naked

Shirts more popular in your neck of the woods? Though I have to admit, the Big Johnson shirts have a lot more effort put into them than I remember.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Big Johnson shirts ended up banned at my middle school.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I remember Big Dogs shirts were pretty popular for a brief time. I mean they're better than Chip and Pepper but still.

Oh look they're still around
https://www.bigdogs.com/ And they've turned into a douchebag clothing outlet

Ugh, Chip & Pepper. I don't remember their clothing line, but I do recall their terrible Saturday Morning thing on NBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7I-zOK5kz0

quote:

So were Big Johnson

Or Co-ed Naked

Shirts more popular in your neck of the woods? Though I have to admit, the Big Johnson shirts have a lot more effort put into them than I remember.

How about those stupid out-of-focus shirts that were huge for a cup of coffee?

Admittedly not the best examples but you catch my drift, right?

And I could swear that I remember seeing some weird knockoff Big Johnson-type shirts with a character on them that literally had a boner, I was wondering how the poo poo people could get away with wearing that in middle school.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Ugh, Chip & Pepper. I don't remember their clothing line, but I do recall their terrible Saturday Morning thing on NBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7I-zOK5kz0

How about those stupid out-of-focus shirts that were huge for a cup of coffee?

Admittedly not the best examples but you catch my drift, right?

And I could swear that I remember seeing some weird knockoff Big Johnson-type shirts with a character on them that literally had a boner, I was wondering how the poo poo people could get away with wearing that in middle school.

Chip and Pepper's clothing was super popular for at least a year, almost everything had them during one summer. My mom asked me if I wanted one becuase she'd seen a lot of other kids wearing them and I told her flat out that no, they looked stupid.

I still see those out of focus shirts, mostly touristy types, like "totally Sober in Sarasota Florida".

I'm trying to remember if Big Johnson shirts were banned in my school, but I know that they were rare where I lived but on vacation basically every guy over the age of 12 seemed to have one.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

The Big Dogs t-shirt parody Comedy Goldmine from a decade ago had some fun stuff in it

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/big-dogs-shirts/1/

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

So were Big Johnson

Doing an image search, I remember slightly better puns from Big Johnson. I remember kids wearing those to school, but we might have been a little sheltered around here.

Big Dogs was immensely popular for a year or two, as was Explorations, with the wildlife pictures on them. Explorations was for the more moneyed girls, combined with Guess Jeans. Mossimo and Tommy Hilfiger were for the moneyed boys.

No Fear was where it was at.

There was a knock-off called Fear Nothing. Big Johnson had a knock-off called Big Richard.

Dixie Outfitters was starting to become popular by the end of the decade. The district ended up banning those because of the Rebel flag. The district has no problem, however, with the school being nicknamed Rebels.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Starter jackets were the only fashion thing I recall actively wanting to participate in. I got a Miami Dolphins coat, living in Illinois with no interest in sports whatsoever, simply because I liked the colors. It was a poo poo coat.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I own a Steelers starter jacket

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I had a Cowboys Starter knockoff. So not only was I a lame bandwagoneer (lived in NEOhio but will forever hate the Browns), but I was a loving poor on top of it.

Yikes. Kinda prescient.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I keep wondering if there will be another Triple F.A.T. Goose fad like in the early 1990s

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

tacodaemon posted:

The Big Dogs t-shirt parody Comedy Goldmine from a decade ago had some fun stuff in it

None of them are as good as this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tacodaemon posted:

I always wondered where the Keep your Paws off my Manga and others came from. It's weird how I've seen these without the SA tag on them all over the place.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Doing an image search, I remember slightly better puns from Big Johnson. I remember kids wearing those to school, but we might have been a little sheltered around here.

Big Dogs was immensely popular for a year or two, as was Explorations, with the wildlife pictures on them. Explorations was for the more moneyed girls, combined with Guess Jeans. Mossimo and Tommy Hilfiger were for the moneyed boys.

No Fear was where it was at.

There was a knock-off called Fear Nothing. Big Johnson had a knock-off called Big Richard.

Dixie Outfitters was starting to become popular by the end of the decade. The district ended up banning those because of the Rebel flag. The district has no problem, however, with the school being nicknamed Rebels.

I choose that one because the guy looks like he's about to be eaten by one of the women, plus it had Mario in the background.

I don't remember Explorations, but I had a lot of Tommy Hillfinger stuff myself. I still do.

No fear stuff is still fairly popular with people who want to seem like they're XXXtreme outdoors type, even though the closest they get is an hour a week at the gyms climbing wall.

And holy poo poo Starter Jackets and Hats were almost a requirement when I was in Jr High. You literally were nothing but poo poo if you didn't have at least one, and they had to be certain teams; Bulls was like the acceptable entry level one, because everyone knew Jordan, but Spurs was top tier, until something came out about some teenage boys calling themselves the Spurs Posse were caught sexual assaulting girls and trying out do themselves or something, then Spurs jackets got banned. After the playsoffs with the Trailblazers, they became acceptable too, as were Knicks. THis being Canada, no one cared about Football ones, but Raiders were cool because of their ties with rap and hip hop. Hockey was super important though; Canadians were the go to standard, Bruins was either cool or made you a target, but Sharks were by far the coolest. For Baseball, again this being Canada, it wasn't too important, but Red Socks and Yankees were the ones anyone could get away with, and with the Jays doing really well in the 90s, they became popular too, but then they turned into bandwagoners. When the Colorado Rockys were created, their hats were everywhere.

This sounds really silly and complex, but this was taking super seriously when I was growing up. There was a whole hierarchy of teams and who you could wear with who and poo poo changed on a weekly bases. People had their poo poo kicked in for having the wrong team combo or just one thing.

I think it's why i associate to this day people who wear baseball caps 100% of the time with being giant douchebags.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tacodaemon posted:

I remember I went on holiday in Florida in 1998 when the hype machine for The Phantom Menace was in full swing (definitely bigger then than the hype machine was for TFA in 2015) and Big Dogs had a bunch of "The Panting Menace" parody shirts with "Dog Maul" telling you to go over to "the bark side".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember I went on holiday in Florida in 1998 when the hype machine for The Phantom Menace was in full swing (definitely bigger then than the hype machine was for TFA in 2015) and Big Dogs had a bunch of "The Panting Menace" parody shirts with "Dog Maul" telling you to go over to "the bark side".

Holy poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, "Bark" Maul, that was it.

Speaking of the hype machine for TPM, one thing I was really into when everyone else was into Animorphs and Goosebumps was this series of Star Wars tie-ins published by Scholastic aimed at young readers called the Jedi Apprentice series, which were all about Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's adventures in the decade or so before the first movie. Quality-wise, I'd say they were what you'd expect but actually a lot better than they really had to be.

But the covers on them. Yikes. Some of the time they had passable if generic sci-fi painted covers, and other times, naff photoshops.

Exhibit A:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, "Bark" Maul, that was it.

Speaking of the hype machine for TPM, one thing I was really into when everyone else was into Animorphs and Goosebumps was this series of Star Wars tie-ins published by Scholastic aimed at young readers called the Jedi Apprentice series, which were all about Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's adventures in the decade or so before the first movie. Quality-wise, I'd say they were what you'd expect but actually a lot better than they really had to be.

But the covers on them. Yikes. Some of the time they had passable if generic sci-fi painted covers, and other times, naff photoshops.

Exhibit A:

Oh hey, I had that book! The cover bore no resemblance to anything that actually occurs in the story.

Also that girl, Siri, is a loving 11-year-old.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, it varied a bit.

You could also have stuff like Obi-Wan posing in front of a cardboard cutout of Liam Neeson:

Qui-Gon wearing a loving anime cape pasted into the Jedi Council scene from the movie:

And a fairly decent cover spoiled by the puppet Yoda looming in the background:

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

The sick thing about Big Johnson shirts is that the artwork is really well executed.

:doink:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

twistedmentat posted:

Or Co-ed Naked

Sometime around 1994 my then-girlfriend was made to leave Six Flags and change her shirt for wearing a Coed Naked Volleyball shirt into the park.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, it varied a bit.

You could also have stuff like Obi-Wan posing in front of a cardboard cutout of Liam Neeson:

Qui-Gon wearing a loving anime cape pasted into the Jedi Council scene from the movie:

And a fairly decent cover spoiled by the puppet Yoda looming in the background:

I can almost feel that embossed STAR WARS title.

The whole extended universe bookline is so drat 90s as well. With a 95% rate of terrible books im amazed we put up with so much back then.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Nutsngum posted:

I can almost feel that embossed STAR WARS title.

The whole extended universe bookline is so drat 90s as well. With a 95% rate of terrible books im amazed we put up with so much back then.

if people can put up with a robot clone of princess leia with eye lasers being married to a 3-eyed-dude pretending to be a different 3-eyed-dude that's also palpatine's illegitimate son, i'd imagine there's a lot they wouldn't accept.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Rogue and Wraith Squadron books are legit good at least :colbert:.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Instant Sunrise posted:

if people can put up with a robot clone of princess leia with eye lasers being married to a 3-eyed-dude pretending to be a different 3-eyed-dude that's also palpatine's illegitimate son, i'd imagine there's a lot they wouldn't accept.

People who thought that was too silly were nonetheless happy to accept Luke falling in love with the disembodied consciousness of an Old Republic Jedi which had been uploaded into the computer systems of a lost Imperial superweapon and later transferred her mind into the body of one of his students.

Meanwhile, Leia had a run-in with one of Emperor Palpatine's legion of mistresses and one of his illegitimate children (not the three-eyed one who he locked up on a mental asylum planet for being a pacifist, which Palpatine thought was a mental illness - a different one), who would later suffer brain damage after being stabbed through the head with a lightsabre and was turned into a cyborg with lightsabre knees.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Holy poo poo.

:chanpop: that's pretty 90s.

Anyone else thing they were going to retire at age 10 thanks to this thing?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember my mum had kept this three-quarters full packet of Phantom Menace paper napkins which she got for my eighth birthday party back in 1999, and the reason I remember them is that we only used them up three years ago.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember my mum had kept this three-quarters full packet of Phantom Menace paper napkins which she got for my eighth birthday party back in 1999, and the reason I remember them is that we only used them up three years ago.

I was cleaning out a closet in the room I'm turning into my new bedroom and we found Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone wrapping paper from the very first run of movie merchandise.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

:chanpop: that's pretty 90s.

Anyone else thing they were going to retire at age 10 thanks to this thing?

I keep forgetting Terrance Stamp was in that awful movie for about two minutes. I hope you stooged Lucas for as much cash as you could Mr Stamp.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Emergency toilet paper I am hoping.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nutsngum posted:

Emergency toilet paper I am hoping.

Cat was sick, I think.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Cat was sick, I think.

Truly a fitting usage of garbage merchandise.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
So I made some Batman TAS gifs for the Gif thread a while back, and I don't think I posted them here.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
And also...

90's FMV games on the Sega CD. What a time to be alive.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Repo Man posted:

And also...

90's FMV games on the Sega CD. What a time to be alive.

And the last great Sonic game.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
What's wrong with Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

magnum_valentino posted:

What's wrong with Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

Good, but not great. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU