Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

ConfusedUs posted:

Turns out that, as the number of effects increase, the number of interactions increase, and at a greater pace.

If ten cards exist, and I want to add one card, then I need to test not just ten interactions, but all interactions of my new card with every possible combination of the previous ten.

Now do that when there are 100 cards. Or 1000.

It rapidly becomes a nearly impossible task.

I don't need you to test all the interactions, just a solid rules foundation for how they interact. X-Wing might not have many card errata, but they did have to completely overhaul the timing windows in the attack phase because the loosey goosey rules the game shipped with didn't hold up to the cards they ended up printing that touched those rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just remembered that R3-A2 doesn't work with the new timing chart and they still haven't fixed it. And it happened because they wanted to spite the aggromech :v:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Strobe posted:

It's almost like it makes sense to cycle out older cards so that game integrity can be preserved.

Oh, wait.

Agreed, get rid of the T-65.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chill la Chill posted:

I just remembered that R3-A2 doesn't work with the new timing chart and they still haven't fixed it. And it happened because they wanted to spite the aggromech :v:

Explain this to me, please :)

Poopy Palpy posted:

I don't need you to test all the interactions, just a solid rules foundation for how they interact. X-Wing might not have many card errata, but they did have to completely overhaul the timing windows in the attack phase because the loosey goosey rules the game shipped with didn't hold up to the cards they ended up printing that touched those rules.

You mean the recent flowchart? The one they printed four years after the game was released?

I'm cool with that. While there's always room for improvement in the base writing (they badly need to standardize some language choices), I'd much rather they continue to support their game over time as it becomes more complex than to just abandon it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

R3-A2 triggers during 1iii, but a defender doesn't exist until 1v.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chill la Chill posted:

R3-A2 triggers during 1ii, but a defender doesn't exist until 1iv.

Holy poo poo that's hilarious.

So what do I do if I run into R3-A2 at a regional? Challenge its use? Or just Fly Casual and let it ride?

I'm inclined to not be a dick, but man, Sticking To The Rules isn't being a dick at that level of competition.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've been itching to run into it at a regionals+ level and bring it up just so it can be noticed.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Strobe posted:

It's almost like it makes sense to cycle out older cards so that game integrity can be preserved.

Oh, wait.

They can't really do that with out producing arsenal decks of the new cards really which they will never do. After all Palpatine is balanced by being in an a $80 epic box

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Played a couple games with the Expertise TIE/sf + Doomshuttle list.

:stare:

Yeah, I can see this working. Granted, I was playing against Starviper & Ordnance Headhunters, but still. The attack dice modification madness is real. Lightweight Frame is also something I'll never take off SFs again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Friction posted:

Yeah, I can see this working. Granted, I was playing against Starviper & Ordnance Headhunters, but still. The attack dice modification madness is real. Lightweight Frame is also something I'll never take off SFs again.

I'm excited to hear more.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Friction posted:

Granted, I was playing against Starviper & Ordnance Headhunters, but still.

:staredog:

I'd love to run ordnance Zs but once they blow their wad, you're left with two dice attacks.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:staredog:

I'd love to run ordnance Zs but once they blow their wad, you're left with two dice attacks.

It's like crackshot A-wings only a lot worse!

Friction posted:

Now, this is the Vader shuttle list, right?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:shepicide:

Z-95 Headhunter: Binayre Pirate (12)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Y-Wing: Syndicate Thug (18)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Guidance Chips (0)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Guidance Chips (0)
Unhinged Astromech (1)

Oh come on, if you're gonna do ordnance Headhunters you gotta go whole hog

99 points

PILOTS

Lieutenant Blount [XX-23 S-thread Tracers, Veteran Instincts] (19)

Bandit Squadron Pilot [Concussion Missiles, Guidance Chips] (16)

Edit: I didn't see the scavenger cranes! Still like my list better though :colbert:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Guidance Chips (0)
Unhinged Astromech (1)

lol what, you're going to buy 4 quadjumpers?

*pretends not to notice own pile of unused kirakxz fighters and starvipers*

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

lol what, you're going to buy 4 quadjumpers?

*pretends not to notice own pile of unused kirakxz fighters and starvipers*

Hey I use these four T-65s and seven T-70s all the time! :supaburn:

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 17, 2017

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm excited to hear more.

The idea was to have Expertise to provide pseudo-focus while FCS provides more dice mods, leaving you free to barrel roll aggressively. The extra green dice from LWF helps a lot and if you happen to have focus, Sensor Cluster will give you one guaranteed evade no matter what you roll.

That's the theory anyways. In practice (at least in this particular match up (we're still both pretty terrible players)), being able to barrel roll and still have "focus" for attacks was really really nice. Expertise works for both arcs firing on TIE/sf and I got a lot of double shots at close ranges. Quickshot especially was a menace. This feels much better than those self damaging baffle lists. These ships really want to be in the middle of everything doing just slow 1 banks and trying to roll in/out arcs.

The Vader-shuttle didn't even get to Vader too much. He managed to put couple crits in, but no finishers. Mostly because of really bad Lambda piloting on my part. Managed to get some nice blocks, but also almost flew off board and took 3 turns to get back into action. Haven't practiced much and it feels like that thing has all red dial. The TIE/sf red heavy dial can be a problem with the Expertise, but the back arcs help quite a bit.

I kinda feel like I had really easy list thrown at me, so take this with a grain of salt. More testing required.

Finster Dexter posted:

Now, this is the Vader shuttle list, right?

Yeah.

"Backdraft" (27)
Expertise (4)
Fire-Control System (2)
Sensor Cluster (2)
Lightweight Frame (2)
Special Ops Training (0)

"Quickdraw" (29)
Expertise (4)
Fire-Control System (2)
Sensor Cluster (2)
Lightweight Frame (2)
Special Ops Training (0)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Collision Detector (0)
Darth Vader (3)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hey I use these four T-65s and seven T-70s all the time! :supaburn:

This, but unironically.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Anyone gonna be at the Regionals in Plano this weekend?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Looks like Feb 2nd is the release date for the new ships in Australia. Honestly think I am going to buy them all.

Played a friendly game yesterday with a mindlink list and my buddy brought something up. When Manaroo passes a focus does that cause mindlink to give Manaroo another focus?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Raged posted:

When Manaroo passes a focus does that cause mindlink to give Manaroo another focus?

Yup.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Raged posted:

Looks like Feb 2nd is the release date for the new ships in Australia. Honestly think I am going to buy them all.

Eh, I dunno. I'm kinda tempted, but I think I'll just get a single quadjumper at this stage. (Although I'm still pretty excited about it)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Played a friendly game yesterday with a mindlink list and my buddy brought something up. When Manaroo passes a focus does that cause mindlink to give Manaroo another focus?

Yep. Another ship with Mindlink received a focus. Manaroo didn't have one, so she got it back.

A three-ship mindlink list with manaroo can generate up to 6 focus per turn.

First ship: takes focus, generating three total focus
Second and third ship: takes their own focus action, for #4 and #5
Manaroo passes token to second or third ship: gets #6 in return

End result is one ship with 3 focus, one ship with 2 focus, and Manaroo with just 1.

Edit: there's no infinite loop because mindlink only triggers to make a new focus if you don't already have one.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 17, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Yep. Another ship with Mindlink received a focus. Manaroo didn't have one, so she got it back.

A three-ship mindlink list can generate up to 6 focus per turn.

First ship: takes focus, generating three total focus
Second and third ship: takes their own focus action, for #4 and #5
Manaroo passes token to second or third ship: gets #6 in return

End result is one ship with 3 focus, one ship with 2 focus, and Manaroo with just 1.

Edit: there's no infinite loop because mindlink only triggers to make a new focus if you don't already have one.

Whelp, going to have to thank my buddy. I have not been doing that. On the brightside I have been gimping myself and I will feel focus rich at the tourney.

Major Isoor posted:

Eh, I dunno. I'm kinda tempted, but I think I'll just get a single quadjumper at this stage. (Although I'm still pretty excited about it)

I want Sabine's Tie because it looks cool and will be fun to screw around with, but I think the Upsilon Shuttle pack is really interesting. Not all that interested in Kylo. but think Major Stridan+ Hux could be really fun. Would be kind of like an imperial mindlink

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Whelp, going to have to thank my buddy. I have not been doing that. On the brightside I have been gimping myself and I will feel focus rich at the tourney.

Yeah. Mindlink triggers literally ANY time one of your ships receives a focus. All others who don't have a focus then get one. Manaroo's passing removes it from her, so she doesn't have one when the other guy receives it.

It's pretty sweet.

Raged posted:

I want Sabine's Tie because it looks cool and will be fun to screw around with, but I think the Upsilon Shuttle pack is really interesting. Not all that interested in Kylo. but think Major Stridan+ Hux could be really fun. Would be kind of like an imperial mindlink

I think all three of the remaining Wave 10 ships have huge potential. I never thought much of the Striker or U-Wing, but Sabine's TIE, the Quadjumper, and especially the Upsilon shuttle have some stuff that may change how the game is played.

Kylo Ren's condition goes through shields and lets you fish for blinded pilots. This alone may push Dengaroo (in specific) and two-ship builds (in general) out of the meta to some extent. Determination will probably come back in a big way. This card will also hurt the Palp + 2 ships archetype, as they can take one of those guys out of the fight, guaranteed, for a couple of rounds. It's also probably the final nail in the coffin for Soontir.

The Quadjumper is going to be able to give out tractor tokens as an action, and Unkar doesn't even need that; just needs to bump. Ships that rely on their agility are going to hate these things so much. It doubles down on the "gently caress your defense" theme Scum has been building in the last couple of waves with cards like Zuckuss, 4-LOM, and Ketsu (pilot).

Sabine's TIE actually has two things that interest me: captured TIE and Captain Rex. Captured TIE might re-ignite the PS wars. Captain Rex really expands the Rebels' "gently caress your offense" theme that has been emerging in the last couple of waves. Biggs, Rex, Kanan (pilot), R7 Astromech...there are a lot of effects in Rebels that reduce the number of and effectiveness of red dice.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you're using Kaato you can get more than 6, because he takes one and it propagates, and then Manaroo hands off another and it propagates again. :v: I'm not entirely sure what the point of having five focuses on a Z-95 is, but I'll be damned if I don't find one eventually.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

If you're using Kaato you can get more than 6, because he takes one and it propagates, and then Manaroo hands off another and it propagates again. :v: I'm not entirely sure what the point of having five focuses on a Z-95 is, but I'll be damned if I don't find one eventually.

Getting shot four times (and somehow surviving), then returning fire?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I still want to know if Steele interacts with I'll show you the dark side like I want him to.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I still want to know if Steele interacts with I'll show you the dark side like I want him to.

No one fuckin' knows, man.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Strobe posted:

Extra insurance against multiple Hot Cops. :cool:

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

ConfusedUs posted:

Anyone gonna be at the Regionals in Plano this weekend?

I should be providing the weather isn't too bad that morning. I'm prepared to scrub out pretty quick if my latest practice games are any indication though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spiggy posted:

I should be providing the weather isn't too bad that morning. I'm prepared to scrub out pretty quick if my latest practice games are any indication though.

Whatcha flying?

If you got TTS I could throw in a couple of practice games with you tonight or thursday night.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

ConfusedUs posted:

Whatcha flying?

If you got TTS I could throw in a couple of practice games with you tonight or thursday night.

I added you on Steam the other night (jazz isnt dead). Thursday before 9 central would work best for me.

I've been trying HotCop/Whisper but don't think it's going to hold up. My other options are HotCop/Ryad or Palp/Ryad/Inky. Changing lists right now probably won't matter too much since I'm rusty in general and have no idea what is "good" right now.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of TTS, if anyone is online in around four hours' time, I'd be interested in finally trying out the Rey+Horton expertise list I made weeks ago. I've got the same userID on Steam - I should already have most (if not all) of you on my friends list

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spiggy posted:

I added you on Steam the other night (jazz isnt dead). Thursday before 9 central would work best for me.

I've been trying HotCop/Whisper but don't think it's going to hold up. My other options are HotCop/Ryad or Palp/Ryad/Inky. Changing lists right now probably won't matter too much since I'm rusty in general and have no idea what is "good" right now.

Hotcop ON Whisper or RAC with Hotcop WITH whisper?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

ConfusedUs posted:

Hotcop ON Whisper or RAC with Hotcop WITH whisper?

The latter. The person I've been practicing with uses Rey with VI and Kanan crew with a regen version of Poe, and it seems like no matter what I do Whisper gets shredded immediately with RAC falling not long after.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spiggy posted:

The latter. The person I've been practicing with uses Rey with VI and Kanan crew with a regen version of Poe, and it seems like no matter what I do Whisper gets shredded immediately with RAC falling not long after.

I don't think you can fit an optimal hotcop RAC with whisper. You'd almost certainly have to drop something, leaving one ship (or both) weak. The guy who won Omaha dropped down to Echo; there's just not enough points for both.

I'd consider this instead if you don't like Echo:

RAC + VI + HotCop + Gunner + Engine + (choose one) Darth Vader or Rebel Captive
Ryad + PTL + Twin Ion Mk II + TIE /x7

You should have a couple points leftover. Swapping to Predator leaves RAC free to boost almost any turn, and lets you force misses/token spending/gunner shots by re-rolling if the initial roll is bad.

I'd put some serious thought into Reb Captive as a counter to Mindlink lists, who won't really GAF about hotcop

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Doug Howe (who won Omaha) didn't drop down to Echo, he plays Echo more in his competitive lists than any other ship. I'm willing to wager that a lot of what went into winning that tournament was being one of the best Echo players in the world.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Doug Howe (who won Omaha) didn't drop down to Echo, he plays Echo more in his competitive lists than any other ship. I'm willing to wager that a lot of what went into winning that tournament was being one of the best Echo players in the world.

I knew you were gonna make this post lol

Point still stands. You can't fit a fully-kitted Whisper AND a fully-kitted hotcop RAC in the same list. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't think you can fit an optimal hotcop RAC with whisper. You'd almost certainly have to drop something, leaving one ship (or both) weak. The guy who won Omaha dropped down to Echo; there's just not enough points for both.

I'd consider this instead if you don't like Echo:

RAC + VI + HotCop + Gunner + Engine + (choose one) Darth Vader or Rebel Captive
Ryad + PTL + Twin Ion Mk II + TIE /x7

You should have a couple points leftover. Swapping to Predator leaves RAC free to boost almost any turn, and lets you force misses/token spending/gunner shots by re-rolling if the initial roll is bad.

I'd put some serious thought into Reb Captive as a counter to Mindlink lists, who won't really GAF about hotcop

I may try Rebel Captive even though I've flown Vader on Decimators a lot. Seems like captive should help against high-hull ships a little better without giving up too much of an edge against aces.

• Locked thread