Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yesterday, I hosed up.

I managed to drop the screen on an iMac I was replacing the hard drive in.
For those that don't know, to replace a hard drive in any of Apple's iMacs since 2012, you have to use a tool to separate double-sided tape, and remove the display. (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2546+Hard+Drive+Replacement/15796)
Whilst removing the leftover old adhesive from the display, due to tiredness (because I'm an idiot and can't get to bed at a decent hour), I wasn't paying close enough attention to how close to the tables edge I was resting the display, and it slipped off and hit the floor and table leg. There's an exposed edge of the glass when it's not installed, so:

Amazingly, it still works. Tape is to keep little shards of glass from going everywhere, and to hold the display on, since I'm not going to waste a $20 mounting kit. Guess this will be my test/lab box now.

bonus reflections of my office/lab. Please don't doxx.

edit: yes, that's a 2004-ish vintage iMac G5 and a Mac Classic reflected in the third picture, and yes, they both work great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Yesterday, I hosed up.

I managed to drop the screen on an iMac I was replacing the hard drive in.
For those that don't know, to replace a hard drive in any of Apple's iMacs since 2012, you have to use a tool to separate double-sided tape, and remove the display. (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2546+Hard+Drive+Replacement/15796)
Whilst removing the leftover old adhesive from the display, due to tiredness (because I'm an idiot and can't get to bed at a decent hour), I wasn't paying close enough attention to how close to the tables edge I was resting the display, and it slipped off and hit the floor and table leg. There's an exposed edge of the glass when it's not installed, so:

Amazingly, it still works. Tape is to keep little shards of glass from going everywhere, and to hold the display on, since I'm not going to waste a $20 mounting kit. Guess this will be my test/lab box now.

bonus reflections of my office/lab. Please don't doxx.

edit: yes, that's a 2004-ish vintage iMac G5 and a Mac Classic reflected in the third picture, and yes, they both work great.

drat, RIP

ive done that before and it sucks

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You probably need to think about recapping that Classic pretty soon, and remove the internal battery if you haven't already. I'm already seeing like Quadra-grade machines that have burst their original batteries and it makes a helluva mess. The Classic shouldn't need a PROM battery to boot.

Also if you didn't know you can do Command-Option-X-O to boot off the internal ROM copy of System 6.x which is the only Mac that can do it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

My motivation is science and my family and space

adding to this, wheelies.

oh and tacos.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That imac looks like my iphone except not as bad. You can straight up see internals on my phone, you can watch the weight on the vibration motor spin when the phone rings. :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

the spyder posted:

Random question of the day: What keeps you motivated?

I have my own issues going on, but I realized a while ago I have no goals. I wake up each day wondering why I keep going when there's no point. Yet somehow at the 10% of normal I'm working at, I'm still more productive then my friends. It's just so crippling. I'm not trying to jump on the millennial "I need to do something meaningful bandwagon", but gently caress it sure feels better when I feel like I have a purpose. Right now, I'm just standing in a dimly lit field, wondering why am I here?

Good question. I have had a wildly productive and successful ~5 years or so which are pin pointed by relatively bigger goals and steps that my wife and I have corroborated together which includes:
  • Have a baby (achievement unlocked 7/12)
  • Buy a house (achievement unlocked 6/13)
  • Landscape/finish back yard (built house new) (achievement unlocked 10/14)
  • Bonus stage: second baby! (unlocked 7/14)
  • Finish basement of house! (unlocked 12/15)
  • Buy new family hauler (Unlocked 1/16)
  • Buy the E90 M3 I have been dreaming about for YEARS (Currently in process, will have car in hand later this month!)
  • Bonus stage: Third baby! (coming 6/17)

Regarding the financial aspects of these goals my wife and I have made the decision to never finance a thing outside of our primary home mortgage which is moderate compared to our income so these have been saved for prior to purchase. My motivating factor has really been to be a good provider for my family and be able to give them the kind of life I want. That trickles down into all other aspects of my life. It makes me more motivated at work to do well and to innovate. I also have not been too reserved in pointing it out but I am religiously involved and active and that does give me a greater sense of purpose for me and my family. That might not be popular to say or be but it is part of my core beliefs and values and I sincerely believe the doctrines and principles and do my best to live them out and that over arches everything. "No success in life can compensate for failure in the home."

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the spyder posted:

I have my own issues going on, but I realized a while ago I have no goals. I wake up each day wondering why I keep going when there's no point. Yet somehow at the 10% of normal I'm working at, I'm still more productive then my friends. It's just so crippling. I'm not trying to jump on the millennial "I need to do something meaningful bandwagon", but gently caress it sure feels better when I feel like I have a purpose. Right now, I'm just standing in a dimly lit field, wondering why am I here?

I have mostly cut video games out of my life and it's helped a lot with this sort of malaise.

My recommendation would be to volunteer with a local org. Most places have an SPCA/pound, or a soup kitchen or something. Any kind of nonprofit doing work you believe is important. It's a couple hours a week and it can yield huuuge dividends in terms of mood. I volunteer occasionally with the local bicycle advocacy org, and another that does food prep for homebound folks.

Exercise and music are also good universal sources of goals. Or hell, building that cabin sounds awesome. Just make sure you're actually looking for something satisfying, and not just standing there waiting for it to show up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

the spyder posted:

Depends. Some days I have little to no motivation, other days I am on a loving mission. People say I get a lot done and I'm just "gently caress if you even knew how much time I spend faffing about and screwing off..."

A LOT of concurrent projects keeps me going mostly I guess, if I get tired of one thing, I can always say gently caress it and ignore it for 3 years while I screw around with the other stuff. Right now #1 priority is finishing the master bedroom in my house and getting the heating system put together so we can stop blowing 3-500 bucks a month running spaceheaters to keep the place above 45 degrees.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At this point it's mostly spite for the motherfuckers who spent so much time tearing me down as a kid.

Yes I'm immature, don't look at me like that, I know myself.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
What's kicking my rear end into gear is the simple idea that I just want to have benefits again. PTO, holiday pay, guaranteed hours, and shift differentials are so much more important than I had thought that they would be. The comfort of being able to take a day off without worrying about money is so loving important when you're sick. Plus, I'm probably going to lose my current insurance, and preexisting conditions will make getting proper coverage a lot harder than it should be
I need to be ready to get a real job with real benefits by the time that the ACA gets completely gutted, otherwise it will be too expensive to get the meds that allow me to work, or even see my psych, and that will be the end of things for a while

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I have mostly cut video games out of my life and it's helped a lot with this sort of malaise.

This x 1000. Cutting down greatly on video games has helped a ton. Also, to deal with winter blues, I made a horrible financial decision and bought a new snowmobile. 130 horsepower flying through the snow leaves a giant poo poo-eating grin on ones face. The paying for it part hurt, but goddamnit, I broke out of my rut, got a new job, am making almost 30% more than I was 6 months ago, and I've wanted a decent snowmobile for years. Its so much fun.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Instead of weeping and moaning about my lovely IT career, I've decided that in order to have more money and not be miserable, I need to learn JavaScript, so that's what I'm doing. I'm going to code myself out of poverty, damnit.

Getting up for the gym in the morning is becoming something of a necessity. I go on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, and on days where I don't go, I feel lethargic and lazy and unmotivated to do nearly anything. To keep a stick over me about it, I've made this FLC thread with goals and stuff.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

My recommendation would be to volunteer with a local org. Most places have an SPCA/pound, or a soup kitchen or something. Any kind of nonprofit doing work you believe is important. It's a couple hours a week and it can yield huuuge dividends in terms of mood. I volunteer occasionally with the local bicycle advocacy org, and another that does food prep for homebound folks.

Exercise and music are also good universal sources of goals. Or hell, building that cabin sounds awesome. Just make sure you're actually looking for something satisfying, and not just standing there waiting for it to show up.
Fewer video games is awesome, and to touch on your last point, you can't wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

scuz posted:

Instead of weeping and moaning about my lovely IT career, I've decided that in order to have more money and not be miserable, I need to learn JavaScript, so that's what I'm doing. I'm going to code myself out of poverty, damnit.

Make sure you throw a bit of Angular, jQuery, Node and Bootstrap in with that JS and you will be able to find a decent dev job. Some people might look down on JS but it is used everywhere on the internet and in cloud applications which is where the wind is blowing right now.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

BigPaddy posted:

Make sure you throw a bit of Angular, jQuery, Node and Bootstrap in with that JS and you will be able to find a decent dev job. Some people might look down on JS but it is used everywhere on the internet and in cloud applications which is where the wind is blowing right now.
That is the plan! I've mentioned my intentions to many of my dev buds and they're all but throwing books at me. I'm going through https://www.codecademy.com for now, so we'll see how well that goes. I like their site's format :shobon:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
In addition to playing less computer games I will recommend doing anything you can to not check your facebook as much as you do. Most people only post good things: marriage/kid stuff, pictures with friends, good news and it can make you feel like you aren't doing anything worthwhile.

I deactivated my account, but they let you keep FB messenger separate so I still have that in case anyone wants to contact me (they dont).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Check out https://screeps.com/ as well if you want to learn js.

My motivation in life is avoiding having to do javascript and having my minions do it instead.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
How about reading a good book op?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
any AI austin tx goons? i think we're finally taking our first vacation in 3 years and Austin/COTA ticks all the boxes for us. IMSA weathertech series should be entertaining

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fridge corn posted:

How about reading a good book op?

what book would you recommend for a juvenile rage ape such as myself?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I recommend How to put corn on your ignore list

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Cage posted:

Most people only post good things: marriage/kid stuff, pictures with friends, good news and it can make you feel like you aren't doing anything worthwhile.

A million times yes. The sum of your life's experiences will never equal the combined experiences of your friends.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

BraveUlysses posted:

I recommend How to put corn on your ignore list

why would he do this? corn has recommended way better books than you have.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

why would he do this? corn has recommended way better books than you have.

You haven't tried my suggested book :colbert:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

You haven't tried my suggested book :colbert:

im good. seems rather trivial and juvenile

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Check out https://screeps.com/ as well if you want to learn js.

My motivation in life is avoiding having to do javascript and having my minions do it instead.
If your minions make $70k/year, sign me up.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Enourmo posted:

About Face by David Hackworth is probably the best book I know of, but I mostly read war memoirs and bizarrely specific scientific literature

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Godel, Escher, Bach is awesome.

so is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, if you're looking for something quicker.

They both go into the way we think (especially the enginerds in this chat) and both gave some really cool insight.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
34C at 4:30am when I left the house this morning. After 44C daytime.

34 loving C?????? That's just hosed up. We're now at the point where Australians switch from snide "You think your lovely country is hot?" to "For fucks sake, this is ridiculous" 37C already and climbing too.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Enourmo posted:

my suggestion for this month is The Sellout by Paul Beatty. It's witty, insightful, and humourous and maybe just a little shocking

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

the spyder posted:

To be a better person tomorrow than I am today.

And it's pretty broad statement to make.

Be a better father. Better friend. Better boss. Better pilot.

Hell a better ex husband.

Make my bed better than I did the previous day. Take pride in the most meaningless task. To not dread anything but look forward to the challenge of the difficulty, the dullness, the simplicity of it. I look for improvements in small ways...almost unnoticeably small things. But I know that all those little small things I try and do better add up to doing bigger things being better. Try and do every task as best as I can. To not have a fear of failure. I don't care if anyone else notices, only that I do. Drink less, eat better. Smoke less, run or bike more. Try and get better at sweeping a loving floor. Dress better, shave more often, better posture.

To have pride in everything I do or am but not arrogant about it.

Tony Robbins is apparently my spirit animal.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tide posted:

To be a better person tomorrow than I am today.

And it's pretty broad statement to make.

Be a better father. Better friend. Better boss. Better pilot.

Hell a better ex husband.

Make my bed better than I did the previous day. Take pride in the most meaningless task. To not dread anything but look forward to the challenge of the difficulty, the dullness, the simplicity of it. I look for improvements in small ways...almost unnoticeably small things. But I know that all those little small things I try and do better add up to doing bigger things being better. Try and do every task as best as I can. To not have a fear of failure. I don't care if anyone else notices, only that I do. Drink less, eat better. Smoke less, run or bike more. Try and get better at sweeping a loving floor. Dress better, shave more often, better posture.

To have pride in everything I do or am but not arrogant about it.

Tony Robbins is apparently my spirit animal.

That's a much healthier sounding Tide than we've seen in a while... welcome back!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

That's a much healthier sounding Tide than we've seen in a while... welcome back!

Thank you sir!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

scuz posted:

If your minions make $70k/year, sign me up.

Range is $70-95k depending on experience really, the more javascript you know the higher you start. However there's a hitch - The higher you start the more likely you are to get your job outsourced if you're only a javascript jockey - that stuff is very easy to get from offshore resources since understanding of english is not required for it to still function. Learn other stuff and keep your education constant.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

34C at 4:30am when I left the house this morning. After 44C daytime.

34 loving C?????? That's just hosed up. We're now at the point where Australians switch from snide "You think your lovely country is hot?" to "For fucks sake, this is ridiculous" 37C already and climbing too.

17 degrees down in the most liveable city in this racist shithole of a nation :smug:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cop Porn Popper posted:

Moving dis convo to the chat thread to avoid making GBS threads up amc eagle chat:

Its been like 10 years since I last saw her in person doing hosting for a concert, but I'd probably still tap that. And the edge was on a downhill slide before I moved to florida. Any time I tuned over, it was boring slow alternative bullshit and no really memorable DJs.

Though apparently KEGL they nixed Chris Ryan which is terrible and shows they don't ever learn. Dude's afternoon show was awesome growing up. :allears:

Bets on how long until the edge is back with a slightly modified format when they figure out every other radio demographic is completely oversaturated?

Yeah good idea on the move.

Cindy's still hot, especially given her age, she's gotta be pushing 50 (if not over). Chris Ryan "left on his own terms", and does voiceover work now, along with English dubs for anime for FUNimation (which is based here). I can't find the Observer article about his departure, but IIRC he was just sick of radio. Jagger got fired from the Edge last year too, and decided to call it quits with radio entirely - he's a stay at home dad for now.

Clear Channel/iHeart isn't exactly known for its good decisions, so who knows if we'll ever see The Edge come back. There's only 4 other adult contemporary stations here, after all, and iHeart owns the majority of FM stations here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
You can pry video games from my cold dead hands

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Range is $70-95k depending on experience really, the more javascript you know the higher you start. However there's a hitch - The higher you start the more likely you are to get your job outsourced if you're only a javascript jockey - that stuff is very easy to get from offshore resources since understanding of english is not required for it to still function. Learn other stuff and keep your education constant.
My programming/coding pals have mentioned similar things, so I plan on leveraging my experience as a sysadmin and my Supreme Customer Service Abilities to make me the total package. Planning on doing a lot with Angular and jQuery, too. Oh, and I have friends who work for dev houses like nuts which are all in the metro area where I live so :buddy:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

17 degrees down in the most liveable city in this racist shithole of a nation :smug:

You have a strange definition of "livable"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

funny Star Wars parody posted:

drat, RIP

ive done that before and it sucks

Definitely makes you feel like an idiot.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You probably need to think about recapping that Classic pretty soon, and remove the internal battery if you haven't already. I'm already seeing like Quadra-grade machines that have burst their original batteries and it makes a helluva mess. The Classic shouldn't need a PROM battery to boot.

Also if you didn't know you can do Command-Option-X-O to boot off the internal ROM copy of System 6.x which is the only Mac that can do it.

I did not know that, and will have to try it. It has a weird issue at the moment where the click mapping in the menu bar is out of whack, like the menus respond 1/4 inch to the left, which makes the Apple Menu inaccessible. Desktop icons and such are fine. It's just the menu bar. I only have a mouse here - need to bring a keyboard from my classic at home, and my old system disks.

Speaking of Macs, I had a phone interview with a recruiter for a possible job yesterday. Not likely to be considered because, while I have tons of Mac experience, they're recruiting for a smaller company where the few IT guys do ALL the IT - VOIP phone, iOS, Macs, Linux servers, etc. I've been in a corporate environment for 16 years, silo'd all to hell. I'd actually prefer the varied experience of the job that was being recruited for, which is why I responded.
What really got me, though were the three questions that the recruiter was given to ask. One was three different ways to bind a Mac to AD - OK, I know those, but rarely use any of them, because my AD binding is baked into a setup script I push to the Mac after imaging. The second was an Outlook issue - well, we use Lotus/IBM Notes where I am, so I've basically never used Outlook. Third question - you can log in to your Mac after running setup after imaging, what do you do? Now, my answer was correct, depending on OS version and what was actually wrong (boot to Recovery or OS installer and use Password Recovery tool.) Their answer was the nerdiest nuts and bolts version possible (boot to Single User mode, and basically delete the file that tells the Mac not to run the first-start setup.) I've never needed to do this. I don't think I've booted to Single User Mode more than once, just to see what it was. My imaging process obviates the need to go through the OS setup. More to the point, all three of them were easily Google-able, if I'd felt like cheating. I don't sacrifice mental storage space to stuff I don't use often - that's what Google, and my own Notes from last time that happened are for.
Ah, well. Turns out the company is a sub-prime auto financing company anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

scuz posted:

My programming/coding pals have mentioned similar things, so I plan on leveraging my experience as a sysadmin and my Supreme Customer Service Abilities to make me the total package. Planning on doing a lot with Angular and jQuery, too. Oh, and I have friends who work for dev houses like nuts which are all in the metro area where I live so :buddy:

That's why I've been sticking to Macs. They seem to confuse Indians for some reason. I still try to keep my fingers a little in the Windows world so I know what's going on there, though. Speaking both Mac and Windows comes in handy from time to time.

• Locked thread