Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sckye posted:

So, after swallowing most of Sweden and bumping borders with Russia in Laponia, I saw an opportunity to screw Russia up, as declaring a war on them would cause their alliances with Poland-Lithuania and Austria to expire. Brandenburg, me and a Spain that's eaten 1/3 of France - more than a match for 1 billion manpower.

Except... AI happened.

He's been there for 3 years, doing who knows what. I was busy sending small stacks to different parts of Russia via boats to exploit another dumb AI tendency, so that he couldn't focus his giant deathball on me, and I wasn't really paying much attention to Spain, but he hasn't moved either that army, or his 20 stack at home, even after his Italian provinces started getting sieged.
Still, I managed to catch Russia off guard with buddy Brandenburg and won a few battles. War reps + 400 ducks. Could probably push it for more, but I need that manpower for France and GB. 20 years worth of favours wasted with Spain :saddowns:

Paradox, please teach your AI how to boat. Please.
If you see the AI doing this, restart your game. Something similar happened to me as Castille when my junior PU partner Aragon had their entire army of like 38k sitting on Corsica for two years. Reloading got them going and saved my rear end.

Who is Ragusa allied to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PittTheElder posted:

Use the Influence Nation GP action, if gives +5 trust, and can be renewed every 10 years.

Yeah this worked. Also converted some Favors into some extra Trust, which was enough to finally break through their reluctance.

Couple other questions: How much should I be investing in Development? My vague strategy right now is "spend stuff on tech, then while I have a huge fuckfoff malus for being ahead of the times spend points on development and Ideas, spend more on tech once malus wears off, rinse repeat". Also, what should I be looking for in terms of where to build Workshops? Marketplaces and Churches are pretty easy to determine where they should go, I have a harder time judging when and where a Workshop is worth building.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 17, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Captain Oblivious posted:

One last question: How much should I be investing in Development? My vague strategy right now is "spend stuff on tech, then while I have a huge fuckfoff malus for being ahead of the times spend points on development and Ideas, rinse repeat"
This is what I do. I spend it on anything else first, other than Culture Conversion. If I am at zero stability I will go to one before I spend admin, but I will develop before I spend to go to 2 stability; I will buy some more Mercantilism with my diplo or develop a good production province; I will strengthen my government if my stab is low, or harsh treatment a minor rebel annoyance, otherwise I will develop a low cost province or a fort province with milpoints for manpower.

Tech and Ideas come first.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
New DD on absolutism https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-17th-of-january-2017.994909/

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I'm missing something about fabricating claims. Trying to go Coptic Ottomans. One of my core provinces (Sivas) borders multiple Coptic provinces in Qara Qoyunlu and Dulkadir. But I can't select "fabricate claim" against either country because there's "no possible neighboring province to fabricate a claim on." They aren't all capital provinces, either. What am I missing?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Learned that Trade Companies definitely shouldn't be controlling huge swathes of land, since the autonomy penalty gimps the poo poo out of production too much to compensate for higher naval force limits. Next time I play the Dutch, I'll colonize provinces for the sole purpose of selling them to the natives afterward, while holding on to the trade centers. Prestige ain't poo poo anyway.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

a spooky ghost moaning "feeeature blooooat"

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I dunno, if this has actual drawbacks to doing stuff like raising autonomy, and makes revolutions more dynamic and stuff, then I think it has a place.

Still don't feel that way about the whole splendor system though.

e: cool to see two china things in that though, both mandate and the banners system. We may actually start seeing a Qing Dynasty.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I'm missing something about fabricating claims. Trying to go Coptic Ottomans. One of my core provinces (Sivas) borders multiple Coptic provinces in Qara Qoyunlu and Dulkadir. But I can't select "fabricate claim" against either country because there's "no possible neighboring province to fabricate a claim on." They aren't all capital provinces, either. What am I missing?

Ottomans already start with cores on Dulkadir and I think one QQ province (Erzurum), so you don't need claims (and can't fabricate a claim to the land because it's already rightfully yours to reconquer). Just declare war on them.

In general you don't need to fabricate many claims as Ottos, you'll be getting missions that grant you blanket claims on large swathes of territory anyhow.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
They don't really know what to add except more tabs in the UI in which you spend new forms of mana for new forms of modifiers.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

skasion posted:

Ottomans already start with cores on Dulkadir and I think one QQ province (Erzurum), so you don't need claims (and can't fabricate a claim to the land because it's already rightfully yours to reconquer). Just declare war on them.

In general you don't need to fabricate many claims as Ottos, you'll be getting missions that grant you blanket claims on large swathes of territory anyhow.

drat I'm an idiot, thanks!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Speaking of Coptic switching, Coptic AQ!

I've only lost a couple of provinces to the Ottomans and I've White Peaced two defensive wars against the Ottomans and a defensive war against Russia. I tried grabbing more cores in the middle of a huge Russia-Ottoman slap fight over Crimea but they just peaced out vs Russia and my dumb PLC and Hungarian allies didn't bother coming over to Asia. Guess I'll just keep blobbing south and east then.

Reforming as Coptic switched me from a Steppe Horde to Eastern tech which is really cool cause now I'm Hussaring everyone to death.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy
Something I just learned about PUs:

quote:

Any Christian country can get an event that can lead to a peaceful union with another Christian nation if both rulers are between 16 and 40 and the two nations involved neighbor each other, have a high enough opinion of each other, have no heirs, both rulers are of a different sex and are either of the same dynasty or in the same culture group. This event is quite rare (MTTH is 500 months).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eej posted:

Speaking of Coptic switching, Coptic AQ!

I've only lost a couple of provinces to the Ottomans and I've White Peaced two defensive wars against the Ottomans and a defensive war against Russia. I tried grabbing more cores in the middle of a huge Russia-Ottoman slap fight over Crimea but they just peaced out vs Russia and my dumb PLC and Hungarian allies didn't bother coming over to Asia. Guess I'll just keep blobbing south and east then.

Reforming as Coptic switched me from a Steppe Horde to Eastern tech which is really cool cause now I'm Hussaring everyone to death.
This is pretty sweet. I doubt that I would have the resolve to fight the Ottomans and the Russians that much, owning that land. Are you going for Baa Baa Black Sheep?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are you going for Baa Baa Black Sheep?

If he is, he has the wrong Horde. Qara Qoyunlu are the Black Sheep Turkomen, Ak Qoyunlu are the White Sheep.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I got Baa Baa Black Sheep on my first QQ -> Persia failed run, it's actually incredibly easy because you just need to be world leader in production. Just reload till you can grab AQ and maybe a couple of Anatolian Beyliks and then sit there dumping all your Diplo points into wool provinces. No, I'm going for the unorthodox A Blessed Nation instead. I missed my chance to steal Alexandria from the Mamluks though so this is gonna be a late game slugfest when I get big enough and my Eastern units start outpacing Anatolians.

e: Also this run I went bankrupt because the Bank reform event triggered really early after I picked up Economic ideas and I picked the longest loan which meant that I ran out of loans immediately since Hordeing means you rack up debts in peacetime. I invaded Persia and grabbed some stuff but I hit a bad battle which made me go negative income and triggered automatic loan into bankruptcy. I peaced out with a province, cored it, used the rest of my admin on getting back to Stability +1 and used my military points to keep rebellions down until bankruptcy went away. My solid alliance with the Mamluks stemming from the time they took me for a ride into QQ land and gave me 40 favours really helped to keep me safe during that time. So I guess moral of the story is don't give up too early!

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 18, 2017

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Eej posted:

Eastern units start outpacing Anatolians.

you uh, might be waiting a while for this

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Pellisworth posted:

a spooky ghost moaning "feeeature blooooat"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Currently on my third Great Perm attempt. First run I must have clicked through the warning popup without registering it and got diplo-annexed. Second I got an independent Lithuania to help me break free but somehow I was on 30 trust with them after the war and they broke the alliance. I guess independence supporters expect land if they border your overlord? I got declared on by one of the hordes soon after and had no chance. This time around I couldn't get anyone to support my independence early but managed to avoid annexation by pouring most of my monarch points into development and colonizing as fast as possible, increasing the time they needed to annex me and eventually pushing my liberty desire over 50% which stalls out the process completely. Anyway it's possibly taken too long to leave me enough time to take all the land I need for the achievement but I finally got some friends together. Hey Muscovy, remember how you tried to absorb me and forced me to spend all my points on dev and fall behind in tech? And also how you declared on Uzbek using my claims twice and never gave me any land? Well gently caress you.

:getin:

Here's hoping some of them actually show up to the party or I am so hosed

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I have Exploration and Quality ideas already (Sunset Invasion Aztecs), what'll make a good Admin idea next since I'm coming up to that slot?

Also is there any penalty for using heavy ships without light ship screens or, if you have the cash, is it just flat better to make heavy ships?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

spectralent posted:

Also is there any penalty for using heavy ships without light ship screens or, if you have the cash, is it just flat better to make heavy ships?

The last one

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
With the Perm achievement, will forming Russia stop you from getting it?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Wafflecopper posted:

The last one

Excellent. Time to ram a fuckload of carracks into Castille's face :getin:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

spectralent posted:

I have Exploration and Quality ideas already (Sunset Invasion Aztecs), what'll make a good Admin idea next since I'm coming up to that slot?

If you're fighting in an inland sea then galleys are pretty much the way to go, with a heavy or three to soak some damage.

As Aztec fighting on the open sea then heavy ships are probably the way to go. The max heavy ships that can engage at once at 8-9, but I honestly don't know much about naval combat these days because for the longest time it was just have 20 heavy ships, kill everything.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
This game and silver linings. Ottomans took one province in the first war, then piggybacked off tiny rear end Siena coalitioning me to force me to give up my Egyptian empire (aka my fed Knights vassal) and that hurt my trade power. But a non-emperor Austria dishonored and now France is my best friend and owes me 30 favors for getting poo poo and doing its blockades and now I can wait for them to let me destroy Tuscany or find some other way to destabilize their alliance.

Italy is slow going though, so much AE and so many strong allies to small but highly developed states. Tuscany is going to be the last pain in my rear end.

Also, if I want to eventually make states out of all my land, are there any huge negatives to dropping out of a merchant republic? I love the free generals forever, but eventually want a decent empire and forming Italy is taking a while.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Arrhythmia posted:

you uh, might be waiting a while for this

I just hit Mil 23 so my Eastern Dudes are already 1 pip stronger wooooooo

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Ages look like they'll be a fun addition to the game for me, if only because it will give me some concrete goals to pursue and hopefully make the mid- and late-game a little more interesting than the slog they are right now. Although a lot of that slog is because sieging down high level forts is horrendous, especially when enemy doom stacks can appear out of the fog of war and get the drop on me at a moment's notice because I have to speed 4 or 5 these wars. Something like forts being 2/3/4/5 instead of 2/4/6/8 would be very welcome.

As for feature bloat, this is eu4, that ship sailed a long time ago.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Currently on my third Great Perm attempt. First run I must have clicked through the warning popup without registering it and got diplo-annexed. Second I got an independent Lithuania to help me break free but somehow I was on 30 trust with them after the war and they broke the alliance. I guess independence supporters expect land if they border your overlord? I got declared on by one of the hordes soon after and had no chance. This time around I couldn't get anyone to support my independence early but managed to avoid annexation by pouring most of my monarch points into development and colonizing as fast as possible, increasing the time they needed to annex me and eventually pushing my liberty desire over 50% which stalls out the process completely. Anyway it's possibly taken too long to leave me enough time to take all the land I need for the achievement but I finally got some friends together. Hey Muscovy, remember how you tried to absorb me and forced me to spend all my points on dev and fall behind in tech? And also how you declared on Uzbek using my claims twice and never gave me any land? Well gently caress you.

:getin:

Here's hoping some of them actually show up to the party or I am so hosed

Well this is looking bad. Ming stayed home. France sent a few troops into Scandinavia piecemeal to get butchered. Ottos showed up to help for a bit and took some territory and won a few battles but ignored my occupied capital and sent 50k troops to go siege forts in northern Scandinavia instead. Their enthusiasm is now low and they'll probably drop out any minute now. :suicide:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

spectralent posted:

Are you struggling with inflation from goldmines? If so, Economic can be a good way to go. Otherwise, it's Religious for some quite good miscellaneous bonuses and :black101: (though I honestly don't know if Aztecs can really benefit much from the CB, which is the main reason to pick up Religious), or Administrative to prepare for the oncoming blobbing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Humanism could be a really good Aztec pick imo, if you want to conquer a lot of old world land. You get to keep your awesome religion CBs when you reform, right?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ithle01 posted:

Ages look like they'll be a fun addition to the game for me, if only because it will give me some concrete goals to pursue and hopefully make the mid- and late-game a little more interesting than the slog they are right now. Although a lot of that slog is because sieging down high level forts is horrendous, especially when enemy doom stacks can appear out of the fog of war and get the drop on me at a moment's notice because I have to speed 4 or 5 these wars. Something like forts being 2/3/4/5 instead of 2/4/6/8 would be very welcome.

As for feature bloat, this is eu4, that ship sailed a long time ago.

I don't mind the idea of cheevos having an in game effect, that's cool. I just would like to see it in a more thematic way than having superpowers unlock for each age for some reason.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Going a try at a custom nation. No pirates in my Caribbean

Uziduke fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 18, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
How far along do you need to be to see the decision to form the Roman Empire? Or does it work some other way?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Node posted:

How far along do you need to be to see the decision to form the Roman Empire? Or does it work some other way?

Decision should show up if you hold Rome as a Christian (or pagan but lol if you're trying this) and aren't the Papal State (or have formed the HRE).

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Decided to finally get the achievement for forming Italy since the last time I was going to try I started as the Pope before I realized that he cannot form it. Started as Florence and decided to go for the 1000 development as a dutchy achievement as well. I took the idea to form Italy and it boosted me to a kingdom automatically and now I'm very sad.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Uziduke posted:

Going a try at a custom nation. No pirates in my Caribbean

Just so you know, you can't earn No Pirates in my Caribbean as a custom nation.

There are only a few achievements that are available for custom nations and they're usually explicitly stated in the description.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am playing a very enjoyable Austria game and had this little oddity appear for me:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
That's a lot of things. But Is it Europe? I'm not so sure about that one.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm guessing that enclave in Africa is connected to a whole lot of provinces in Europe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm guessing that enclave in Africa is connected to a whole lot of provinces in Europe?

Yes, here is a screen from a few years earlier. The game was pretty much over at this point, but this saved me from fighting the "End Boss"

• Locked thread