Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Idgaf if it's a legit spoiler but apparently he makes it to the end, which gives me so much hope.

in a perfect world he teams up with walton goggins to fight off the alien hordes in whatever's next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Goggins fought a predator and called it a "space human being".

Then he got to be the first spine rip in a Predator movie since Predator 2.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Your forgot to mention that he says it while shanking the Predator since Goggins was a convict.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I miss the tales of the predator movie where the predators come back for Arnold and take him away. Arnold's son The Rock then would have to go to Danny Glover to find out about the predators. And it ends with The Rock fighting in a predator Colosseum on the predator planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AphxyjrH4SE

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 13, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It was definitely a missed opportunity that they couldn't get Danny Glover for that role in Predators. That would have been such a cool little surprise.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

With Shane Black making 'The Predator', let's hope he can work in a Danny Glover cameo somewhere.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Xenomrph posted:

With Shane Black making 'The Predator', let's hope he can work in a Danny Glover cameo somewhere.

This made me remember there was a Predators movie on an alien planet, I saw it at the cinema, loved it, then forgot all about it. Just rewatching it now, it's so fun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just to drift back to Aliens toychat for a moment, here's a well done review video of the recent Mantis Alien:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHxQMb6_3kI

I got mine a week or so ago and it's seriously crazy how well realized the concept is. NECA took what's arguably one of the goofier, more nonsensical concepts from the old Kenner toys and turned it into a design that's legit scary-looking. I genuinely wouldn't mind seeing that design show up in an Alien movie - it looks genuinely scary when fully lit against a white background, just imagine it skulking around in the dark.

Similarly, the old Predator toys from the 90s have been getting modern updates and I've been nerding out really hard over them.

I mean as someone who became an Alien/Predator fan as a kid back in the day, I am absolutely blown away. If these things had existed back when I was 9, I would have lost my mind.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Are those xeno tails strapped to his helmet like a pair of tusks? I love it

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

brocked posted:

Are those xeno tails strapped to his helmet like a pair of tusks? I love it
The old toy had a "whipping dreadlock" action feature where you'd push a lever on his back and those tentacles would flex and bend, on the new one they're bendy and plug into a pair of sockets on his pauldron. Or if having them plugged into his chest is too goofy, there's sockets on his wrist gauntlets.

I love how they carried over all the little details from the old Kenner stuff just because they could. Oh the old toy had skulls sculpted onto his knee armor for who knows what reason? So does the new version. Old one had a pair of trophy fingers dangling from his chest armor? So does the new version.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I used to have the orange dude with ridiculously huge shoulder cannon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I only had one Kenner Preds because I really hated the weird crazy designs as a kid. All I wanted was a regular Predator and they just didn't exist any more.

This was it. Thing was seriously awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wsbb0PYSzg

I did buy the NECA remake later on, for completely nostalgic reasons. But I have little interest in the other ways. Just too wacky and silly for me.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
In Alien Resurrection why does Christie throw himself off the ladder? I get that he is heavy, but the alien was dead that was holding on to him, and he has the strength to get a knife out and cut the harness, why doesn't he shake his leg to remove the alien that's hanging on and then carry on climbing separately? He was free and clear?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

no longer wanted to be part of that lovely movie

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

willie_dee posted:

In Alien Resurrection why does Christie throw himself off the ladder? I get that he is heavy, but the alien was dead that was holding on to him, and he has the strength to get a knife out and cut the harness, why doesn't he shake his leg to remove the alien that's hanging on and then carry on climbing separately? He was free and clear?

I always got the feeling that the acid really hosed him up and that he was dying or something.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

A drop of acid went through like 3 levels of a spaceship. Christie got squirted in the mug with a big stream. That poo poo was going through to his brain

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In Aliens you see people survive the acid but I maybe they figured the acid one intentionally spits would be of the super super strong variety you see in the facehugger in Alien.

THAT said, I mean if he has the frame of mind to cut himself loose he could have pretty easily like shook his leg. This dude is some super hardcore mercenary guy and he's worried about his face being scarred up? I just mean like if the acid really was that strong his head would have completely melted away in seconds. Even when we saw it in theaters me and other folks were like why would he do that?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I always felt they held their breath for an unrealistic period of time while swimming away from the Aliens.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alien acid is exactly as strong as the scene requires it to be; there is no consistency. In 'Alien' the facehugger burns through Kane's helmet and miraculously doesn't harm him at all (not even fumes!), and then 10 minutes later a drop of it eats through 3 decks. Drake takes a face full of acid in 'Aliens' and it scars him (and Hudson gets splashed on the arm and he's generally okay), but later on Hicks takes some acid to the chest plate and it gets obliterated in seconds (and practically puts Hicks in a coma) - and in AvPR, that blond teenage kid takes a face full of acid and it literally annihilates his head on contact.

If you want a semi-:techno: explanation, different acids can gently caress you up in different ways. There are acids that can do severe neurological damage if they get into your bloodstream, and hydrofluoric acid is a contact poison that can cause cardiac arrest.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

SimonCat posted:

I always felt they held their breath for an unrealistic period of time while swimming away from the Aliens.

I can never get over it when people doing breast-stroke kick pathetically with their non-dominant leg.

Be The Frog.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The acid in Alien is like the laser cannon in Predator where it kills everyone but only slightly inconveniences Arnold

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

oldpainless posted:

The acid in Alien is like the laser cannon in Predator where it kills everyone but only slightly inconveniences Arnold

arnold is the real predator in that film

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

alf_pogs posted:

arnold is the real predator in that film

does that make Danny Glover a Predator, too?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

HannibalBarca posted:

does that make Danny Glover a Predator, too?

He's too old for that poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Can you imagine, with all the stuff that Predator has probably hunted, he goes to some backwater planet to hunt game that to him is basically the equivalent of like what a deer would be to us, and he loving runs into Arnold? That laugh at the end is definitely a "can you believe this poo poo" laugh. Its like the same laugh Lovecraft characters do at the end of a story when the bizarre poo poo they've witnessed is too much for their broken brain.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
That does seem consistent with the way the other Predators treat Danny Glover at the end of Predator 2, yeah.

Mankind truly is the most dangerous game.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
It's more like "oh poo poo these loving chimps keep killing us when we hunt here wtf"
Edit: Like an OG big game hunter nutjob goes to Tanzania to hunt some gazelle and one of the fuckers tricks him into blowing his own head off

Kulkasha fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 18, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The next time a deer bests me or my kind im going to throw a gun at it in appreciation

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I'm looking to get into hunting and that really speaks to me on a personal level.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

Predator, too?

yes, this was the original title

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

Can you imagine, with all the stuff that Predator has probably hunted, he goes to some backwater planet to hunt game that to him is basically the equivalent of like what a deer would be to us, and he loving runs into Arnold? That laugh at the end is definitely a "can you believe this poo poo" laugh. Its like the same laugh Lovecraft characters do at the end of a story when the bizarre poo poo they've witnessed is too much for their broken brain.
Presumably, they're hunting very lethal, very dumb animals and Humans are some of the few thinking species they can throw themselves at. It's kind of cute that we're essentially throwing pointy sticks and rocks against tanks and poo poo though.

I watched Predators. That movie wasn't entirely bad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I watched Predators. That movie wasn't entirely bad.

the part where they realize the Predator is imitating Danny Trejo's voice is really effective.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

One of my biggest issues with Predators is still kinda this

I'm not a fan of the Super Predator's faces. Heck every Predator face since AvP has been really, really bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i didn't like super predators or predator dogs. what's wrong with just plain ol predators!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah i miss the old swimmers body swinging from the trees predator. Wrestler predators suck

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Predadogs (Predogters?) was kind of dumb, yes.

I liked that BadNoHonorPredators had mouthspikes that pointed outwards aggressively though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I like the idea that the predator is actually like a middle class dentist or something during the week back on his home planet. And everyone back at home is laughing at this moron for getting himself killed by some poor, dumb unfortunate animal whose head he was trying to stick on his study wall. The alien is doing what it does, but this silly prick wants photos kneeling next to his unsuspecting kills. I bet there is a selfie stick attachment in that arm computer thingy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I like the idea that the predator is actually like a middle class dentist or something during the week back on his home planet. And everyone back at home is laughing at this moron for getting himself killed by some poor, dumb unfortunate animal whose head he was trying to stick on his study wall. The alien is doing what it does, but this silly prick wants photos kneeling next to his unsuspecting kills. I bet there is a selfie stick attachment in that arm computer thingy.

Now I want to see the troll responses on PredaTube.

"lol dis is whut happns when some scrub thnks u cn just kill smrt prey wit shiny gear. No honor nice k/d gg no re."

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

White Phosphorus posted:

You realize how painfully bad Aliens is if you watch it right after Alien. It's fanfiction written by a 13 year old boy. I loved the movie as a kid though.

O.K. Nevermind.

I finally watched Aliens on the big screen for the first time and it was awesome! The theatrical release is a much tenser experience than the meandering special edition. Also the constant camera motion, darkness, and red lighting looks like a pixellated poo poo mess in digital formats, but looks great in theater.

Also I like Alien 3 in all it's forms.

That autopsy scene.
So dark.
So gritty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I like the idea that the predator is actually like a middle class dentist or something during the week back on his home planet.
One of the weirdest things about the Predator franchise is this assumption that all Predators are honor focused game hunters.
It's understandable that the fact that some Predators hunt humans might be the most relevant trait to us, a game species, but how did we go from that to "all Predators are hunters, all of the time?"